Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 29th May 2012, 06:10 PM   #1
harpo1984

harpo1984 is on a distinguished road
Smile Plugin solution for EU Cookie Law

Hi everyone,

(The creators are updating the tool. I will update when it is complete. More info here by Mark Steven: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/co...K0o/discussion)

Just thought I would update you guys with 2 solutions to the EU Cookie Law and Webplus. This solution works in Android's native browser & also Opera Mini, Opera's mobile browser. The plutonium should also work in Safari Mobile for iPhone, iPads & iPod Touch.

The first solution can be found here, however I do not use this solution:

http://silktide.com/cookieconsent

The second solution I have implemented in all my Webplus sites and have tested it extensively. There are problems with this plugin and jQuery/js conflict, as such I've included a WebPlus files with your options. The plugin can be found here along with instructions for use:

http://civicuk.com/cookie-law/configuration

Please note in my versions of this plugin I have customised the text and removed the link to cookieControl. This tool is open source and free to edit, so please feel free to adjust it as you see fit. The CSS can be edited to fit the look of your site more closely.

You will need to use jQuery noConflict on some pages of your Webplus site if other addins, such as smoothing scrolling, Nivo Slider, Easyslider, lightboxes etc. stop working. The best way to get round this is use example 4 found in this handy PDF from another Serif user, Joe.

Here's the link to the forum post:

http://forums.serif.com/showthread.p...query+conflict

You will need to experiment with which version of the plugin works best on your site pages, I've included installation instructions for use of the plugin with Google Analytics, if you don't use Google Analytics, simply remove that section of code. I've tried to make these instructions as clear as possible, I've also included a jQuery noConflict example. Really hope the WebPlus files help people.

Best wishes,

Simon
Attached Files
File Type: wpp Cookie Control Examples.wpp (100.0 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by harpo1984; 31st May 2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Update to Cookie Control inline with new ICO legislation 30th May 2012 & support confirmed for mobile devices
Old 30th May 2012, 11:52 AM   #2
TAE

TAE is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: Plugin solution for EU Cookie Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo1984 View Post
Hi everyone,

Just thought I would update you guys with 2 solutions to the EU Cookie Law and Webplus.

The first solution can be found here, however I do not use this solution:

http://silktide.com/cookieconsent

The second solution I have implemented in all my Webplus sites and have tested it extensively. There are problems with this plugin and jQuery/js conflict, as such I've included a WebPlus files with your options. The plugin can be found here along with instructions for use:

http://civicuk.com/cookie-law/configuration

Please note in my versions of this plugin I have customised the text and removed the link to cookieControl. This tool is open source and free to edit, so please feel free to adjust it as you see fit. The CSS can be edited to fit the look of your site more closely.

You will need to use jQuery noConflict on some pages of your Webplus site if other addins, such as smoothing scrolling, Nivo Slider, Easyslider, lightboxes etc. stop working. The best way to get round this is use example 4 found in this handy PDF from another Serif user, Joe.

Here's the link to the forum post:

http://forums.serif.com/showthread.p...query+conflict

You will need to experiment with which version of the plugin works best on your site pages, I've included installation instructions for use of the plugin with Google Analytics, if you don't use Google Analytics, simply remove that section of code. I've tried to make these instructions as clear as possible, I've also included a jQuery noConflict example. Really hope the WebPlus files help people.

Best wishes,

Simon
Looking at it now because my script stopped working (same control) ... I'll let you know if your tutorial works!
Old 30th May 2012, 12:06 PM   #3
TAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAE View Post
Looking at it now because my script stopped working (same control) ... I'll let you know if your tutorial works!
Still seem to be having problems with it
Old 30th May 2012, 12:13 PM   #4
harpo1984

Hi TAE,

It should work. I tested it on 30 sites and got it working in all of them.

However, each site had it's own wee problems due to other scripts and not all sites ran the same scripts as you can imagine.

There is a general pattern though..

First make sure all your current jQuery or js plugins work before adding cookieControl, then if they stop working when applying the standard cookieControl plugin, remove the call to jQeuery 1.7 from the cookieControl script which can be found here:

http://civicuk.com/cookie-law/deployment

I provide instructions in my tutorial how to do this. If it still doesn't work, use the jQuery noConflict script that I mention in my tutorial.

Let me know how you get on and be sure to check every page of your site. A lot of my sites had to run 2 versions of the cookieControl on different pages. Some pages used the standard plugin, other pages with the call to jQuery 1.7 removed.
Old 30th May 2012, 01:13 PM   #5
GFB

GFB is on a distinguished road

Hi Harpo

I'm a complete novice and am stuck at Step 1 of your tutorial!! Where do i find the root directory of my Server and how do i upload to it? I'm using DotEasy and have had a look at the folders in cPanel but can't find what i'm looking for.
Old 30th May 2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Adrian

Adrian is on a distinguished road

I hope the serif come up with an easy option to use, if not that would seem a bit naff when you can set you site up to accommodate mobiles in webplus x6 but not cookie control

We can hope
Old 30th May 2012, 01:31 PM   #7
TAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFB View Post
Hi Harpo

I'm a complete novice and am stuck at Step 1 of your tutorial!! Where do i find the root directory of my Server and how do i upload to it? I'm using DotEasy and have had a look at the folders in cPanel but can't find what i'm looking for.
It is the main folder in your site. It will probably be called one of the following: public_html/ or root/
It is most likely the main folder you upload your entire site to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
I hope the serif come up with an easy option to use, if not that would seem a bit naff when you can set you site up to accommodate mobiles in webplus x6 but not cookie control

We can hope
We can indeed
Old 30th May 2012, 01:31 PM   #8
harpo1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFB View Post
Hi Harpo

It's simple enough to do it within WebPlus.

Select Tools, then Site Manager, then File Manager and add the file from there. Then when you upload to your server it will be in the right place
Old 30th May 2012, 01:38 PM   #9
TAE

Quote:
Hi TAE,

It should work. I tested it on 30 sites and got it working in all of them.

However, each site had it's own wee problems due to other scripts and not all sites ran the same scripts as you can imagine.

There is a general pattern though..

First make sure all your current jQuery or js plugins work before adding cookieControl, then if they stop working when applying the standard cookieControl plugin, remove the call to jQeuery 1.7 from the cookieControl script which can be found here:

http://civicuk.com/cookie-law/deployment

I provide instructions in my tutorial how to do this. If it still doesn't work, use the jQuery noConflict script that I mention in my tutorial.

Let me know how you get on and be sure to check every page of your site. A lot of my sites had to run 2 versions of the cookieControl on different pages. Some pages used the standard plugin, other pages with the call to jQuery 1.7 removed.
Just realised I was uploading to a test folder, not the root

So I will see if it now works

(I do have the Wibiya toolbar installed which might be causing problems, so I will also try removing that)

EDIT: Removing the wibiya toolbar makes no difference ... will look into this jquery thing
Old 30th May 2012, 01:58 PM   #10
TAE

Quote:
Just realised I was uploading to a test folder, not the root

So I will see if it now works

(I do have the Wibiya toolbar installed which might be causing problems, so I will also try removing that)

EDIT: Removing the wibiya toolbar makes no difference ... will look into this jquery thing
I uploaded a completely blank page, adding only the cookie control, and it still doesn't work! (www.kilmorewebdesign.com/test)

EDIT: I can get the old cookie control script to work, but not the newer, smaller one
Old 30th May 2012, 02:04 PM   #11
harpo1984

Quote:
I uploaded a completely blank page, adding only the cookie control, and it still doesn't work! (www.kilmorewebdesign.com/test)

EDIT: I can get the old cookie control script to work, but not the newer, smaller one
I just followed your link and everything looks ok to me in Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer.

You had something querky like "what are cookies" with 2 answers, but it now looks like you've reverted to my wording.
Old 30th May 2012, 02:53 PM   #12
TAE

Quote:
I just followed your link and everything looks ok to me in Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer.

You had something querky like "what are cookies" with 2 answers, but it now looks like you've reverted to my wording.
Oh yes, looking through Hidemyass.com, it works... must be (cookies???) a cache in my browser/isp or something then ... will copy it to main site now so!
Old 30th May 2012, 02:57 PM   #13
TAE

Quote:
Oh yes, looking through Hidemyass.com, it works... must be (cookies???) a cache in my browser/isp or something then ... will copy it to main site now so!
Please can you check my main site and see if it shows then... it doesn't show up in hidemyass
Old 30th May 2012, 03:19 PM   #14
harpo1984

Quote:
Please can you check my main site and see if it shows then... it doesn't show up in hidemyass
It shows up fine to me on your main site. Although it appears behind the toolbar which isn't so good.

When running Hidemyass on your site, in the top left of your web banner with your logo you get this error:

There was an error generating the navbar:
parseURL is not defined

Didn't see it at first as the text was in black, but I'm assuming this something to do with Hidemyass as it's not on your site when viewing normally.

I wouldn't worry about Hidemyass to be honest. There may be a conflict between it and the cookieControl. In which case use my alternate method, jQuery noConflict or a combination of both. It might help with the toolbar as well.

Last edited by harpo1984; 30th May 2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Information update for navbar error
Old 30th May 2012, 03:47 PM   #15
TAE

Quote:
It shows up fine to me on your main site. Although it appears behind the toolbar which isn't so good.

When running Hidemyass on your site, in the top left of your web banner with your logo you get this error:

There was an error generating the navbar:
parseURL is not defined

Didn't see it at first as the text was in black, but I'm assuming this something to do with Hidemyass as it's not on your site when viewing normally.

I wouldn't worry about Hidemyass to be honest. There may be a conflict between it and the cookieControl. In which case use my alternate method, jQuery noConflict or a combination of both. It might help with the toolbar as well.
Yes, the cookie control is now working for me in hide my ***, so when my ISP clear their cache hopefully it will display for me too

I will look into that nav bar error; thanks for pointing it out.
Old 30th May 2012, 05:31 PM   #16
harpo1984

Quote:
Yes, the cookie control is now working for me in hide my ***, so when my ISP clear their cache hopefully it will display for me too

I will look into that nav bar error; thanks for pointing it out.
After all your hard work and mine please note the following. The method I have employed using the current CookieControl settings has us more than covered. I may alter the control on my sites, but need to research this further.

(The creators are updating the tool. I will update when it is complete. More info here by Mark Steven: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/co...K0o/discussion)
Old 30th May 2012, 06:06 PM   #17
TAE

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Wow you were quick; I was about to tell eveyone that
Old 30th May 2012, 06:07 PM   #18
TAE

Quote:
After all your hard work and mine please note the following. The method I have employed using the current CookieControl settings has us more than covered. I may alter the control on my sites, but need to research this further.

Yes, but since we are definitely fully compliant now, I will probably keep this one
Old 30th May 2012, 07:26 PM   #19
GFB

Quote:
It is the main folder in your site. It will probably be called one of the following: public_html/ or root/
It is most likely the main folder you upload your entire site to.

We can indeed
Quote:
It's simple enough to do it within WebPlus.

Select Tools, then Site Manager, then File Manager and add the file from there. Then when you upload to your server it will be in the right place
Thanks guys, it's sorted now.
Old 30th May 2012, 07:31 PM   #20
GFB

Quote:

Having had a quick look the planned update appears to be a useful improvement.