Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 22nd May 2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Mick
Expert

Mick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud of
Default Automated Re-Direct For A Mobile Website

Hi Folks,

After receiving various requests via email, my support site and various forums, I have stumbled across a nice little script that takes the hassle out of re-directs from a main website to a mobile version.

The reason for this script was found because some users have asked why the re-direct cannot be automatic and not have the end user be prompted by a script that says from a mobile device "Do you want to go to a mobile version"

What this script does is automatically detect the browser and device being used and will load the appropriate website without any need for confirmation from the user and will by pass the main full website.

I have tested it here and it works seemlessly and I have zipped both the single js file needed and a small text document on how to add it to a Webplus made website.

Hope this comes in handy for those wishing to re-direct folks to their mobile versions of their websites.

File and Documentation can be downloaded from HERE
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:06 PM   #2
meanman

meanman is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: Automated Re-Direct For A Mobile Website

Very nice thank you.
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:22 PM   #3
BrianE
Master

BrianE is a jewel in the roughBrianE is a jewel in the rough

Excellent Mick please add this to the Mobile Website Demo thread if possible.
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:33 PM   #4
Mick
Expert

Mick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanman View Post
Very nice thank you.
My pleasure meanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
Excellent Mick please add this to the Mobile Website Demo thread if possible.
Thanks Brian and post added to the Mobile Demo thread as requested
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:34 PM   #5
BrianE
Master

BrianE is a jewel in the roughBrianE is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Thanks Brian and post added to the Mobile Demo thread as requested
Thank you very much Mick.
Old 27th May 2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Mart26

Mart26 is on a distinguished road

Thank you Mick for sharing that great script.
Martin
Old 27th May 2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Mick
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart26 View Post
Thank you Mick for sharing that great script.
Martin
My pleasure Martin
Old 27th May 2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Dijenga

Dijenga is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't had any call for "mobile versions" yet, but was looking for a way to automatically detect . . . and here it is!

Thanks much Mick!
Old 27th May 2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
The reason for this script was found because some users have asked why the re-direct cannot be automatic and not have the end user be prompted by a script that says from a mobile device "Do you want to go to a mobile version".
I thought it is supposed to be a good thing to be asked . . . . . so users can choose to view the full site if they wish, not a cut-down mobile version. It's usually not difficult viewing a full-size site with a smartphone.
Old 27th May 2012, 10:35 PM   #10
Mick
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijenga View Post
Haven't had any call for "mobile versions" yet, but was looking for a way to automatically detect . . . and here it is!

Thanks much Mick!
No problem Dijenga and My Pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
I thought it is supposed to be a good thing to be asked
Archibald, I'm not saying it's NOT a good thing to be asked, the point of my post and the script was to give people who have asked me in various ways, something that would be fully automatic WITHOUT the need to be asked, hence the script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
It's usually not difficult viewing a full-size site with a smartphone.
You know that, I know that and probably most other people know that.

I'm just giving what has been asked for, I think it's down to personal prefererence if you want it semi or fully automated, or whether or not you want the end user to see the full site or direct to a mobile one. I just can't see the point in your post, people either use it if it does what they want it to, or they dont.

Last edited by Mick; 27th May 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 29th May 2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
. . . . . I just can't see the point in your post, people either use it if it does what they want it to, or they don't.
The point of my post was to point out to forum members viewing this thread who may be unaware that it may not be advisable to have automatic redirect especially if the mobile version of the site is a cut-down version of a main site. It could be very annoying to smartphone users not being able to see the full site.
Old 29th May 2012, 05:47 PM   #12
bookmarkmns01

bookmarkmns01 is a name known to allbookmarkmns01 is a name known to all

Many thanks, Mick, for posting this.

Mark