Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 20th February 2012, 04:39 AM   #1
allehn

allehn is on a distinguished road
Default how to make image background transparent?

i want to place images such as clipart on a coloured background. eg a red balloon against a blue sky. but all the images i try this with are not just the balloon, but a balloon in a white rectangle, so when i paste it the white rectangle shows against the sky. i want just the balloon against the sky, without the white rectangle. how do i do this? do i need special clipart that has a transparent background, or can i make background of clipart transparent?
or should i be using different software such as drawplus?
thanks for any help
Old 20th February 2012, 07:14 AM   #2
EAVDS

EAVDS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how to make image background transparent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allehn View Post
i want to place images such as clipart on a coloured background. eg a red balloon against a blue sky. but all the images i try this with are not just the balloon, but a balloon in a white rectangle, so when i paste it the white rectangle shows against the sky. i want just the balloon against the sky, without the white rectangle. how do i do this? do i need special clipart that has a transparent background, or can i make background of clipart transparent?
thanks for any help
Hi there Allehn,

I would use the image cutout studio to clip out the blue sky background. Use the discard brush to paint out the sky and leave the balloon.

Preview and Ok your image.

Select your new image without the background and do the following:

File - Export as Picture
Name the file for export
Select Portable Network Graphic from the drop down box below,
Select the Save Option

Important: In the Options Box that opens be sure to select the 32 bit Radio button.
Select Ok.

Your file with a transparent background will now be in the folder to which you sent it.

This works in X5 and I am sure that it was available in X4.

Good Luck
Old 20th February 2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

It depends on the image type. Vector clipart in WMF or EPS format often has a transparent background already. If its JPG images then the white background is not transparent. GIF and PNG images support transparency. If the images are GIF or PNG, but not transparent, select the image, select the transparency tool on the context toolbar, and click on the white background to make it transparent.
Old 20th February 2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by allehn View Post
thanks for any help
If the background is pure white, try Format/Picture/Picture Transparency.

Geoff