Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 16th February 2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Alchemist

Alchemist is on a distinguished road
Default Creating a PDF from a PagePlus Book Crashes PagePlus x6.

All,

Upgraded to PagePlus x6 and stupidly moved one of my books over for a reedit / expansion. All went well with about a week of editing on the book until I went to generate a PDF.

Generating a PDF by selecting the option to generate a PDF from the menu on the BOOK window will cause pageplus x6 to crash and restart.

To test this I made a simple document with a single test frame saying 'hi'. Made a new book and added that document to it. Tried to generate a PDF and sure enough it crashes PPx6.

My guess is something in the new preflight checklist is crashing the book functionality. Since the preflight runs separately for each document, im guessing something isn't getting cleaned up or something.

In any case... anyone have a work around? I have a weeks work in this document and don't want to have to redo it again in x5 or move my document from a book to a single document via cut/paste.

Any help appreciated. I contacted Serif and they have been aware of the problem since launch, say its a nightmare to fix and don't have any idea on when a patch might be coming.

Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Creating a PDF from a PagePlus Book Crashes PagePlus x6.

Open it in PPX5 and publish it from there.
Old 16th February 2012, 10:03 PM   #3
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

As well, as has been written in the forum, you can try to print to a PDF print driver from X6's BookPlus. This works fine for me.

Take care, Mike
Old 16th February 2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
Open it in PPX5 and publish it from there.
Can you backtrack to previous editiosn like that. When saved it has the warning that it may not be useable in earlier editions of Page Plus.
Old 16th February 2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
As well, as has been written in the forum, you can try to print to a PDF print driver from X6's BookPlus. This works fine for me.

Take care, Mike
I thought about doing that, and it would probably work for getting a PDF out of it but I want to take advantage of PDF bookmarks generated by PagePlus which wouldn't come through when printing to a PDF print driver.
Old 16th February 2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Can you backtrack to previous editiosn like that. When saved it has the warning that it may not be useable in earlier editions of Page Plus.
What I do on upgrading is create a new folder for the new version, and copy any files I wish to edit to the new folder. Then I save the PPX6 version in the PPX6 folder.

Keep your PPX5 version untouched, open the PPX6 version in PPX5 and just publish it to PDF without saving it, or save it to a temporary folder if you want.

The only issue I have encountered so far is that if you use a Quick Dial in PPX6, the file won't open in PPX5.

There might be issues with TOC or Index. “Try it and see” is the best method to find out if there are problems. Just don't overwrite anything, and always keep backups on external media.

I use 7-Zip to archive each folder. Thus I have PPX5.7z PPX6.7z etc., on my backup drive.
Old 16th February 2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Alchemist

Quote:
What I do on upgrading is create a new folder for the new version, and copy any files I wish to edit to the new folder. Then I save the PPX6 version in the PPX6 folder.

Keep your PPX5 version untouched, open the PPX6 version in PPX5 and just publish it to PDF without saving it, or save it to a temporary folder if you want.

The only issue I have encountered so far is that if you use a Quick Dial in PPX6, the file won't open in PPX5.

There might be issues with TOC or Index. “Try it and see” is the best method to find out if there are problems. Just don't overwrite anything, and always keep backups on external media.

I use 7-Zip to archive each folder. Thus I have PPX5.7z PPX6.7z etc., on my backup drive.
I'll give it a try. I still have my ppx5 folder with projects. The book in question has had alot of text edited over in PPX6 but nothing else, the layout, pagination and TOC are all the same. I'll archive off a copy then try loading it in PPX5 and see how it goes. I was just concerned that being the book is multiple documents it might save them as it goes through them or something.
Old 17th February 2012, 03:37 AM   #8
Alchemist

Tried loading it into PPx5 and generating the PDF that way. It corrupts about 1-2 pages per chapter, pulls graphics from off page and puts them one the page, doesnt wrap text around images properly etc. So thats not a solution.

Looks like Im going to have to rework the document as a single PPx6 document instead of the book, or print the book and go back through the x5 version and redo all the changes. Not terribly happy with Serif right now.

I program for a living myself. I can understand how options not behaving as intended in some instances can be overlooked in QC but how they could release a product where a whole function crashes every time you use it. If i did that it would be my ***, so I can't cut them alot of slack on it. Someone dropped the ball... or it was known and they released anyway which puts the fault on the sales folks instead of tech. either way, its not a good way to run a software company.
Old 17th February 2012, 04:53 AM   #9
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

Hmm. Haven't seen many threads of X5 doing odd things and none describing what you are experiencing. If you would like, feel free to PM me and I would be glad to take a look.

You would need to use the save as a package and check the box to include fonts. Then upload to yousendit.com or dropbox.com (or your own domain) and PM me the URL or link.

Take care, Mike
Old 17th February 2012, 04:47 PM   #10
Alchemist

Quote:
Hmm. Haven't seen many threads of X5 doing odd things and none describing what you are experiencing. If you would like, feel free to PM me and I would be glad to take a look.

You would need to use the save as a package and check the box to include fonts. Then upload to yousendit.com or dropbox.com (or your own domain) and PM me the URL or link.

Take care, Mike
Mike,

X5 works great when dealing with X5 documents. The problem I described was when attempting to use an X6 'book' of documents by loading the book into X5 and generating a PDF to get around the fact that generating a PDF for a book in X6 crashes the application.

There were lots of warnings that it might not work, and it didnt. It was just suggested to me by serif support and people here for a workaround for the known problem with X6 crashing when generating a PDF for any book.

When I run it in X5 it comes up with a separate warning that things may not look right for each chapter processed. The resulting document is mostly right but enough images are out of place and text doing odd things that its not a solution to my problem.

When I talked to Serif support about the original problem they said its been known about since launch and is being worked on, but its a 'nightmare' to fix and they have no timeline on when a patch might be available to address it. In my testing, even creating a new document with a single text frame and adding that to a new book will still crash X6 when generating a PDF for that book from the book interface.

So there really isn't a problem with X5, its just I have never had issues with PagePlus versions going back to 9 so I did alot of work in x6 that has now caused me problems due to the bug.

Now my options are...

1. Wait an unspecified amount of time for a patch to fix the problem when there is no idea when/if it will be fixed. If this has been known since launch I don't have alot of faith in it being fixed in the short term. My gut feeling as a developer myself is that the new preflight checking conflicts with the way the book generates multiple docs, appending them as it goes. I kinda think it was a concious decision that preflight was a new product feature and more important than the existing book --> pdf, so they ran with it in spite of the problem, then it turned out to be a more difficult problem to patch than they thought so now it sits.

2. Get a PDF print driver and print the document to the PDF print driver although I will lose all of my PDF bookmarks.

3. Print the X6 document and go back into the old X5 version and reapply a weeks worth of changes back to the old document and kick x6 to the curb until it gets its act together.

4. Reedit the X6 version book using cut/paste to put all the master pages and all the pages into a single document and stop using the book functionality.

None of these are particuarly appealing.
Old 17th February 2012, 04:58 PM   #11
MikeW

There are PDF drivers that support bookmarks. While none are free that I know of, some are relatively low-cost.

http://www.tracker-software.com/pdf-...mparison-chart

Is one such application.

However, my original idea was concerning X5. I have never experienced the things you have mentioned about images/graphics being moved about even when the document/book was an X6 one.

Whether you opt for another person to look at the file or not is your choice.

Take care, Mike
Old 17th February 2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Alchemist

Quote:
There are PDF drivers that support bookmarks. While none are free that I know of, some are relatively low-cost.

http://www.tracker-software.com/pdf-...mparison-chart

Is one such application.

However, my original idea was concerning X5. I have never experienced the things you have mentioned about images/graphics being moved about even when the document/book was an X6 one.

Whether you opt for another person to look at the file or not is your choice.

Take care, Mike
Mike,

Thanks for the information about PDF XChange. It does support bookmarks but they since the bookmarks wouldn't be passing from PagePlus to PDF Xchange (since it would just be a print, not a PDF render) then the bookmarks would have to be reentered every time the document is changed. Too much redundant work for it to be a solution.

I don't want to spend alot of time debugging why loading an x6 doc into x5 had output issues since they said it might not work, ie unsupported and not likely to be addressed in any future updates anyway. So pretty much a waste of time IMO.

So, right now im pretty must just flailing my arms wildly complaining about the problem and seeing if there are any solutions I haven't thought of.

This weekend, I'm probably going to either move the project back to x5 with alot of manual editing to get the old copy up to date, or reformat the book in x6 as a single document and stop using the book feature.

Not sure which way Im going to go yet, although jettsoning the book feature might be the best idea as its already not as feature rich as working with a single document. Even if it was working correctly the section by section warning popups about missing fonts would be annoying to work with. I have a font in my master page in bold form but the font is only available in regular form so it complains. It prints fine, and PDF converts it to curves fine when outside of a book and since the book crashes on even the simplest document its not related to the book pdf issue.
Old 18th February 2012, 12:48 PM   #13
Mecastor

Mecastor is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this is any help. but if you look at the thread 'Bookplus crashing problem' [URL="http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=104117&page=2"], you'll see that a recommended solution was to make the book up in chapters/sections as usual and then assemble them in a single file using Insert>PagePlus File.
I've done this successfully with a small book of 12 chapters in 128 pages and acheived a satisfactory PDF for my commercial printer. The only major problem was that each chapter had a different header (it was a walking guide with referenced chapter headers) and so I had to make new master pages in the merged file - I ended up with 28.
The other issue is file size at the point of having the assembled book. With embedded pictures it becomes very large and actions on any page take ages to process. So, the individual chapter elements need to be as good as perfect before you merge them.
In the earlier thread I wrote of reverting to PPX5 for the next project. I haven't done so and am using PPX6; reading this thread persuades me that my decision was correct. If the patch doesn't appear within the next 2-3 weeks, I'll have to use the mergre work-around again.
Old 18th February 2012, 01:17 PM   #14
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecastor View Post
I don't know if this is any help. but if you look at the thread Bookplus crashing problem, you'll see that a recommended solution was to make the book up in chapters/sections as usual and then assemble them in a single file using Insert>PagePlus File.
I've done this successfully with a small book of 12 chapters in 128 pages and achieved a satisfactory PDF for my commercial printer. The only major problem was that each chapter had a different header (it was a walking guide with referenced chapter headers) and so I had to make new master pages in the merged file - I ended up with 28.
Its true that master pages are not imported on insert files, but there is no need to add any more master pages. One only needs one master page for each layout — in my case one for left pages (page # left, header centre, one for right pages (page # right, header centre), and one for chapter title pages (no header, page # bottom centre in footer).

After importing all the chapters, apply the Master page A to all even pages, Master page B to all odd pages, and Master page C to all chapter headings.

Then, promote the header from the master page wherever you need a different running header, and edit the header text. This work flow is much more efficient. I have tried the other method before and know how difficult it is creating and editing many master pages, and finding the right one to apply to the current page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecastor View Post
The other issue is file size at the point of having the assembled book. With embedded pictures it becomes very large and actions on any page take ages to process.
Link images instead of embedding them, and performance will be much better. Resize the images to be no bigger than you really need for the current use (300 dpi for print, and 150 dpi for the web), and link to the resized copies.
Old 18th February 2012, 05:57 PM   #15
Alchemist

Quote:
Its true that master pages are not imported on insert files, but there is no need to add any more master pages. One only needs one master page for each layout — in my case one for left pages (page # left, header centre, one for right pages (page # right, header centre), and one for chapter title pages (no header, page # bottom centre in footer).

After importing all the chapters, apply the Master page A to all even pages, Master page B to all odd pages, and Master page C to all chapter headings.

Then, promote the header from the master page wherever you need a different running header, and edit the header text. This work flow is much more efficient. I have tried the other method before and know how difficult it is creating and editing many master pages, and finding the right one to apply to the current page.

Link images instead of embedding them, and performance will be much better. Resize the images to be no bigger than you really need for the current use (300 dpi for print, and 150 dpi for the web), and link to the resized copies.
That method of handling master pages works fine and would save time for simple documents, unfortunately in my case there are alot of chapter specific art and other elements in the master pages, going way way beyond page numbers and headers.

I know that linked images would be faster, although i've never really had a problem with speed. I perfer imbedded images as ive had problems in the past copying a file from one location to another and having issues with the linked assets. Of course that was a few releases ago like 10 or 11 i think.
Old 18th February 2012, 09:27 PM   #16
Alchemist

I figured out what was up with the formatting using X5 on the X6 document. Apparently it stripped the formatting styles for heading1, heading2, heading3 etc out of the document causing things to repaginate and shift. Also apparently, just opening and generating a PDF with the x6 document in x5 did this and saved it that way. Reloading the document in x6 now doesn't have those styles either.

I'm now recreating the document as a single x6 file, resetting all the styles and redoing all the master pages.
Old 18th February 2012, 10:21 PM   #17
Alchemist

Saga contines... Using the Insert Page Plus file to merge the chapters together is a no go. Apparently inserting a section does something wierd to master page settings... I end up with pages from the file i started with before merging that have no master page info on them, and cant have any master page assigned to them or cleared from them. No errors it just never displays any master page information on these pages after the Insert. Loading/saving has no effect. Its pretty much useless.
Old 19th February 2012, 12:57 PM   #18
Mecastor

Mecastor is on a distinguished road

Thank you, BP, for this most helpful advice. I had overlooked the 'Edit on Master Page' route, but will use it from here on. I see that others have not had success with some of these 'Book Plus' work-arounds but we all seem to have our individual problems that start from particular individual approaches to page design and output requirements.
I plod on, in hope, trying to follow recommended practice and the excellent advice here in Forums. The great thing is that it is advice that I can understand, which was never the case with Adobe design software.

On image sizes, I'm doing as you suggest but am especially grateful for your note on resizing, since I have never been sure whether the copious amounts of time I spend on resizing is necessary; ie why not just drop the image into the text using automatic sizing feature in direct picture placement?
I believed that to get the best quality PDF for my commercial printers (for better-than-average quality book production), I need to resize and profile in PS CS4 to fit the desired image holder size on the page.
I think that you've just told me that I'm correct to be doing it this way. So, thanks again.
Old 20th February 2012, 02:56 AM   #19
Alchemist

Finally, something worked....

Rebuilding a new single document using cut & paste and reconnecting text frames after the paste worked for the most part. The only issues were reconnecting text frames and for some reason each paste would create a new version of the heading2 or heading3 style.. Named heading22, heading23 and so on. So I had to go through each pasted page and reset the heading styles and delete the extras.

I now have all 68 pages combined into a single file, that seems to e working fine. The book feature seems to be a bit behind the output capabilities of the main product so I think I'll just abandon it. Of course I have three 132 page books in x5 that I will probably leave where they are for now.