Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 1st August 2001, 10:18 PM   #1
Sasha
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb font fiends

Are there other font fiends in this user forum? Wonder what font manager you use. What do you think about the advice I've read here and there to only use two different fonts per page (seems a bit too restrictive to me!)
Sasha

Old 1st August 2001, 11:28 PM   #2
Geoffrey Blanthorn

Lightbulb Re:font fiends

Sasha,

I use Agfa Font Manager, but I have used Adobe Type Manager, and a freeware one.

I generally use only 3 fonts in my magazine, a Roman style for the major part (italicized for captions), a sans serif for footnotes and the like, and maybe for a quoted passage (eg a whole indented paragraph), and a third font for headings.

I think using too many fonts, such as a different one for each article makes the whole thing look scrappy.

Of course, other fonts are used, as required, for display adverts and silmilar.

Geoff

Old 2nd August 2001, 06:50 AM   #3
Mike Keller

Sasha

I use Bitstream Font Navigator which I am very please with. Regarding number of fonts on a page, yes 3 should be a maximum, 1 or 2 preferred. However you can use multiple flavors (bold, italic, small caps etc) of the same font. That however works best if you limit your font useage to 1 or 2.

A good recommended book to read is The Non-Designers Type Book by Robin Williams. It is easy to read and packed with good information.

Best wishes
Mike Keller

Old 2nd August 2001, 12:42 PM   #4
Sasha

I used to use Bitstream and liked it very much but ran into major frustration when I tried to get support. I went to the Bitstream site for support, and they sent me to the Corel site, who sent me to the Bitstream site... etc. The problem was that I work on two different computers and somehow was not able to make sure that the same fonts were installed because of something to do with the folder system that Bitstream (or Serif?) used. So I gave up, and have been installing by hand into the windows font folder and updating that folder on both computers. But I sure miss Bitstream, and want a workable font manager.

As far as the two/three font thing goes, I have a newsletter in which the front page has a masthead of one font, then articles in another, and headline in another, and display ad. On second page again a specialty logo headline done in Logo Plus, and the other headlines and articles in both in something different. I wish I had more objectivity on how it actually looks. I get good feedback on its appearance.
Sasha

Old 2nd August 2001, 12:44 PM   #5
Sasha

Which freeware one? Did you like it? I tried out a German one, highly recommended, and just couldn't get a feel for it.
Sasha

Old 2nd August 2001, 01:55 PM   #6
Jim B.

Lightbulb I Once Saw A Document That...

... was sooo full of fonts that it looked completely foolish.

<FONT FACE="ARIAL BLACK">Whoever set it used <I>italics</I> and ALL CAPS for <B>every</B> word, and used a different font for each news item or article.</FONT>

<FONT FACE="COURIER NEW">It was difficult to read, looked really amateurish, and went out of publication after the third issue.</FONT>

<FONT FACE="TIMES NEW ROMAN">But, fonts are a matter of individual taste, I guess.</FONT>

<FONT FACE="GEORGIA">Personally, I wouldn't use more than three in a publication.</FONT> *

<FONT FACE="LUCIDA CONSOLE">I'm using a Windows 95 program from ARES called FontMinder to keep over 3,000 fonts under control. A few years ago, Adobe bought ARES, then discontinued FontMinder because it was soooo good compared to Adobe's Type Manager.</FONT>

<FONT FACE="IMPACT">Jim B. &nbsp; :>)</FONT></FONT>

Old 2nd August 2001, 06:31 PM   #7
Mike Koewler

Lightbulb Re:I Once Saw A Document That...

Jim,

I use two to three fonts per paper, but only for articles, pictures, etc. If one were to use only three fonts for all the ads, one would also go out of business in a hurry.

Mike

Old 2nd August 2001, 06:54 PM   #8
Sasha

Thanks for the thoughts on fonts. Am rethinking some of what I do, and will try it out to see how it looks.
Anyhow, on the subject of display ads, any general words of wisdom on using fonts in display ads? I've been using a different font for each ad, to give them an individual look. This of course ads up to mucho fonts on the page that is just ads.
Sasha

Old 2nd August 2001, 07:03 PM   #9
Mike Koewler

Sasha,

I have one file that is five pages of practically nothing but ads, maybe 100 or more ads. There are less than 10 different fonts used (not including styles of the same font). Even in newspapers, I don't see a lot of fonts used - just various borders, drop shadows, reversed print, artwork. One nice thing about PP6 was the convert to picture - one could quickly change the text to a pic, then stretch it to make it look different.

If all the text was the same, ads wouldn't stand out at all. But one doesn't need 30 fonts on one page.

Mike

Old 2nd August 2001, 07:10 PM   #10
Sasha

Thanks. I was noticing a kind of 'static' on the ad page. :-) But what good is it to have all those delicious fonts if good taste requires being so ascetic with them! Geez. Hardly need a font minder at all.
Sasha