Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > DrawPlus

Notices

DrawPlus Questions about using DrawPlus for vector graphics design

Old 24th January 2012, 12:32 AM   #1
RMJ1940

RMJ1940 is on a distinguished road
Default Create a line drawing from a photo

Hi Everyone, I have the latest versions of Draw+, Photo+ and Page+. I have a number of color photos of woodworking I did years ago and I no longer have my patterns. I would like to recreate them but don't want to hand draw every line if I can help it. I thought that Draw+ trace would do it for me but I don't have much luck getting a line drawing that I can modify into a scroll saw pattern.

My question is this. Will any of the software listed above create a line drawing from a photograph or graphics file? If one of them will, what tool should I use?
Thank You for your assistance.
Bob Jones
Old 24th January 2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Mark Ingram
Serif Europe Limited

Mark Ingram is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Create a line drawing from a photo

Hi Bob, DrawPlus should be able to do it via the AutoTrace feature, as you've already mentioned. Have you tried the "Logo Trace" option, rather than the "Photo Trace"?

Mark Ingram
DrawPlus and CraftArtist Project Manager

Reporting Software Issues To Serif
Old 24th January 2012, 01:06 PM   #3
RMJ1940

Thanks for the information Mark. I gave that a try and got a line drawing. It wasn't the best but it is workable. I'll play with the settings a little more later and see if I can get something better. You may find me looking for more help later, but for now I have something to work with. Thanks Again. Bob Jones
Old 25th January 2012, 08:07 AM   #4
siehorst

siehorst is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ1940 View Post
... It wasn't the best but it is workable. ...
Hi Bob,
The problem is, that AutoTrace will (never?) create a simple line but a more or less parallel double line with the space between the lines filled with colour (the lines are set to a thickness of '0'.
I don't know if that will be possible to tell DrawPlus: 'only use real lines'.
Another option may be: 'convert selected object to line' ... ok, something for the wish list?
Just yesterday I had that problem too but luckily the irregular double lines looked better .
horst
Old 25th January 2012, 01:54 PM   #5
RMJ1940

Thank you for the information. I hadn't noticed that it put double lines. However that would explain part of the reason I don't like it. Depending on the settings I get large streaks or black areas on the results. Worthless if you ask me. When making a pattern, or I assume about anything else, I need clean crisp lines. It seems that years ago I used another product to do this and it created double lines. It is more work getting rid of the double lines than it is to create it from scratch. When wanting to fill one area with one color and other areas leave white you have to have completed lines all the way around the areas. Double lines are nothing but a headache. Thanks again for the reply. Bob Jones