Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 19th December 2011, 06:24 PM   #1
trisamber

trisamber is on a distinguished road
Default Calendar Events

Hi. Just received my upgrade from X4 to X6 and am a third of the way through my calendar for 2012. Is there a way to import the events from X4 to X6 so I don't have to enter them all again. Thanks
Jenni
Old 19th December 2011, 07:48 PM   #2
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future
Default Re: Calendar Events

Hello Jenni,

Perhaps this thread would be of use:
http://forums.serif.com/showthread.p...alendar+events

Take care, Mike
Old 20th December 2011, 10:02 AM   #3
trisamber

trisamber is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link Mike. It seems I will have to re-enter the events again - just me being lazy I suppose.
Jenni
Old 20th December 2011, 10:23 AM   #4
jacksjacobs

jacksjacobs is a splendid one to beholdjacksjacobs is a splendid one to beholdjacksjacobs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisamber View Post
Thanks for the link Mike. It seems I will have to re-enter the events again - just me being lazy I suppose.
Jenni
It si the nature of things that we want to avoid unnecessary work. Also, copying and re-entering already checked work may reduce errors. Entering from scratch may introduce new errors.

What I haven't looked at is whether PP calendars can incorporate public holiday lists or the like.

I don't bother any more with the MS Outlook calendar, but some time back, when I found I had run out of calendar events - I had gone beyond the last date in the contained events list - I found an explanation of how to extend the list. You never know what you might find if you ask!

funny cats
Old 20th December 2011, 09:27 PM   #5
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisamber View Post
Hi. Just received my upgrade from X4 to X6 and am a third of the way through my calendar for 2012. Is there a way to import the events from X4 to X6 so I don't have to enter them all again. Thanks
Jenni
I think that if you import into X6, a calendar incorporating Events made in X4, then the events will be created in X6.

This seemed to happen with an X5 calendar I used, but the "occurs every year" thing had to be rechecked.

Geoff
Old 20th December 2011, 11:21 PM   #6
jacksjacobs

jacksjacobs is a splendid one to beholdjacksjacobs is a splendid one to beholdjacksjacobs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Blanthorn View Post
I think that if you import into X6, a calendar incorporating Events made in X4, then the events will be created in X6.

This seemed to happen with an X5 calendar I used, but the "occurs every year" thing had to be rechecked.

Geoff
The action of importing, essentially copying, a calendar from, say, PPX4 to PPX5 doesn't altered the contained text. You are only copying a table in doing this.

It is the action of revising the dates that removes all the text, and hence the events.

In the absense of a "insert holidays" type function, and I don't think we have this with PP (or do we?), we have to re-enter the events text.

funny cats
Old 21st December 2011, 02:02 AM   #7
tomH
Advanced Member

tomH is well on the road to greatness

The calendar function of PPx5, and x4 IIRC, has insert holidays: open the calendar>
year>style>first day of week>how to display month/days/dates>add personal or public holidays (by region)>predefined format>finish.

tomH
Old 21st December 2011, 11:31 AM   #8
jacksjacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomH View Post
The calendar function of PPx5, and x4 IIRC, has insert holidays: open the calendar>
year>style>first day of week>how to display month/days/dates>add personal or public holidays (by region)>predefined format>finish.

tomH
These are features I had never tried, thanks for bringing them to our attention
I tried some public holidays, and these seem to have worked in two separate months. However, they were inserted in the wrong font style. Also as I applied the Calendar Edit after the insertion of my own dates/events, on (a copy - you bet) of my current calendar, it cleared all the other events already applied.
Clearly, all these edits have to be applied at one time.

Without going any further, it appears that I shall have to set up all these features for each individual month, unless I can save the info.

I tried to insert personal data, but PPX5 (latest patch) crashed.

EDIT>>>>
Whatever I do, attempts to insert personal data cause a crash.

So, overall, the facility to insert events data, managed via the tools menu, fails.

<<<<END EDIT

So I will see what I can set up. I might, just might, even read the help file.

More anon...

funny cats

Last edited by jacksjacobs; 21st December 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:14 PM   #9
jacksjacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksjacobs View Post
These are features I had never tried, thanks for bringing them to our attention
I tried some public holidays, and these seem to have worked in two separate months. However, they were inserted in the wrong font style. Also as I applied the Calendar Edit after the insertion of my own dates/events, on (a copy - you bet) of my current calendar, it cleared all the other events already applied.
Clearly, all these edits have to be applied at one time.

Without going any further, it appears that I shall have to set up all these features for each individual month, unless I can save the info.

I tried to insert personal data, but PPX5 (latest patch) crashed.

EDIT>>>>
Whatever I do, attempts to insert personal data cause a crash.

So, overall, the facility to insert events data, managed via the tools menu, fails.

<<<<END EDIT

So I will see what I can set up. I might, just might, even read the help file.

More anon...
More test results, and bear in mind I recently did a Control Start rest, and added the latest patch.

I opened my copy of this year's calendar: month by month, separate page for each in PPX5.

1) Any attempt I make to insert personal events results in a crash. This may be so just for my installation.

2) Updating the calendar with Public Holidays, either month by month, or for the whole year, does insert the holidays, but
a) In a smaller default text, and
b) removes all other event data - in other words, leaves only the calendar date numbers and public holiday event text.
I expect this would be true for everyone using this function.

I did look at Help, and I hadn't realised before that the means of inserting these events was available via the tools menu. You may find that it all works for you, except for 2b above.

funny cats
Old 21st December 2011, 02:41 PM   #10
jacksjacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksjacobs View Post
More test results, and bear in mind I recently did a Control Start rest, and added the latest patch.

I opened my copy of this year's calendar: month by month, separate page for each in PPX5.

1) Any attempt I make to insert personal events results in a crash. This may be so just for my installation.

2) Updating the calendar with Public Holidays, either month by month, or for the whole year, does insert the holidays, but
a) In a smaller default text, and
b) removes all other event data - in other words, leaves only the calendar date numbers and public holiday event text.
I expect this would be true for everyone using this function.

I did look at Help, and I hadn't realised before that the means of inserting these events was available via the tools menu. You may find that it all works for you, except for 2b above.
Latest test results:--

Better and better....

Having defined custom, personal events navigating to Set User Details from the Tools menu, and ensuring they are saved (I even went to the trouble of closing PP before it crashed!) I find that in performing an Update via the same route, all my personal events appear in all appropriate months of a multi page calendar. So far so good.

However, any attempt to remove any of the Public Holidays (For example, Scottish holidays) by deleting them in the Events Manager causes a crash on closing PP and in any case, never saving the amended Public holiday list. So if you are happy with the PP inbuilt choice, it all works. You can delete any events on the page, of course, and that is probably the most convenient option (until one learns how to modify the inbuilt list. I will have to find where it is stored.).

The problems still remain, that updating removes all other data (as with re-dating a calendar), and the font style that eventuates for these events is coming up as very small - the text has to be reformatted.

I hope that this is useful, it makes it easier to edit the events in the next year's calendar. Sadly, or not, I have already done my 2012 calendar.

I assume I willl be able to import the calendar events into PPX6, when it arrives - soon!

funny cats
Old 22nd December 2011, 02:49 PM   #11
jacksjacobs

In looking to see where my Calendar Personal Events are stored, I found an entry in the registry. FreshUI opened a code map for that file, but it is all encoded, so I can't see what is what. However these entries can be modified from the User details interface. So far, so good.

However, as I said before I would like to remove some of the Public Holidays (For example, Scottish holidays).

Deleting them in the Events Manager causes a crash on closing PP and in any case, never saves the amended Public Holiday list. But if you are happy with the PP inbuilt choice, it all works. You can delete any events on the page, of course, and that is probably the most convenient option.

Can anyone help in telling me where the Public Holidays data is stored; if it is in the registry, I would have to leave it alone.

funny cats

Last edited by jacksjacobs; 22nd December 2011 at 02:55 PM.