Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > General

Notices

General Discussions that don't relate to a specific Serif product

Old 31st October 2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Bad_Wolf

Bad_Wolf is well on the road to greatness
Default Solid State Disk (SSD) vs normal sata hard disk

Hello everyone,

Maybe a kind of unusual question for this graphic forum, but I simply want just second opinions.

The SATA hard disk of my laptop becomes too small. The "C" partition there is only 6 GB left of a total of 50GB. The total size of the harddisk is 160GB/7200rpm.

I am thinking of replacing this SATA hard disk with a 240 GB SSD drive. A colleague told me that there is a very big performance difference between a normal SATA disk and a SSD disk.

Can anybody confirm this and give your opinion if this upgrade of a 3 year old Fujitsue Siemens Mobile D9510 is worth the price?

Thank you very much for all your input.

Have a very nice evening and all the best.

Friendly greetings,

Bad_Wolf
acra-endeavours
Old 1st November 2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Dave S
Advanced Member

Dave S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Solid State Disk (SSD) vs normal sata hard disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Wolf View Post
Hello everyone,

Maybe a kind of unusual question for this graphic forum, but I simply want just second opinions.

The SATA hard disk of my laptop becomes too small. The "C" partition there is only 6 GB left of a total of 50GB. The total size of the harddisk is 160GB/7200rpm.

I am thinking of replacing this SATA hard disk with a 240 GB SSD drive. A colleague told me that there is a very big performance difference between a normal SATA disk and a SSD disk.

Can anybody confirm this and give your opinion if this upgrade of a 3 year old Fujitsue Siemens Mobile D9510 is worth the price?

Friendly greetings,

Bad_Wolf
acra-endeavours
It's true that SS hard disks are noticeably faster than than conventional drives, but they are also noticeably more expensive, particularly at the size you mention. I would say around the cost of a new laptop. So, unless you love your laptop that much, I wouldn't bother.

Dave
Old 1st November 2011, 10:27 AM   #3
it-doc

it-doc is on a distinguished road

Hi, very true, ssd are far superior, if you can afford it. Another thing, DO NOT PARTITION YOUR DRIVES.
Old 1st November 2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Bad_Wolf

Hello IT-doc and Dave S,

Thank you both very much for your reply.

The SSD drive I can buy for 297 euro, which is a reasonable price compared to others. It is 240GB.

The laptop itself is regularly used in very harsh environments (ranging from very high temperatures to transport through low temperatures and wet conditions) and always works without problem. So for me it is surely worth the price when I got a performance advantage.

Can you tell me why a SSD drive never may be partitioned?

Thank you very much for your time spend on my questions. I reall do appreciate that very much.

Have a very nice day.

Friendly greetings,

Bad_Wolf
acra-endeavours
Old 1st November 2011, 12:15 PM   #5
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Hello IT-doc and Dave S,

Thank you both very much for your reply.

The SSD drive I can buy for 297 euro, which is a reasonable price compared to others. It is 240GB.

The laptop itself is regularly used in very harsh environments (ranging from very high temperatures to transport through low temperatures and wet conditions) and always works without problem. So for me it is surely worth the price when I got a performance advantage.

Can you tell me why a SSD drive never may be partitioned?

Thank you very much for your time spend on my questions. I reall do appreciate that very much.

Have a very nice day.

Friendly greetings,

Bad_Wolf
acra-endeavours

Bad Wolf

Does that laptop have room for a second hard drive? If so you can get a smaller SSD and a 7500 rpm drive for the second drive.

Some folks will remove a CD drive and replace with a second hard drive and then get an external CD drive.
Old 1st November 2011, 12:47 PM   #6
it-doc

it-doc is on a distinguished road

It's not that you can't, but when you partition a drive you can create bad sectors in that partition and that creates problems, so to avoid these bad sectors, just don't partition.
Old 1st November 2011, 01:09 PM   #7
james kelly

james kelly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Friendly greetings,

Bad_Wolf
acra-endeavours

Hi Bad Wolf If you can afford a SSD I would say GO FOR IT!

I have 2 SSD in my PC now and they are very fast compared to a stranded SATA drive. I have one OCZ Vertex 3 series SATA 3 and one OCZ Agility 3 series
SATA 3

I have my OS (vista) on one and all my Serif/adobe programs on the other.

I did partition one of them at one time but did get some problems ( nothing big ) worked great with Vista but not so good with Win7. That was when win7 just come out and didn't have the driver support I needed.

My BRO has a SSD partitioned for Win7 and Vista with no problems so I can't see why you would have any.

James.
Old 1st November 2011, 09:22 PM   #8
Bad_Wolf

Hello Everyone,

First I want to thank everyone who replied. Every single reply is very much appreciated and is really helpfull.

There is regretfully no space left in this laptop for a second harddrive. I can remove the DVD like Marilyn mentioned but that is only for inserting a second battery.

I think the problem with the bad sectors can be resolved by checking the partitions after creation for bad sectors. If there are bad sectors found or repaired, it is better to have only one big partition.

I wish you all a very nice day and all the best.

Friendly greetings,

Bad_Wolf
acra-endeavours
Old 1st November 2011, 09:31 PM   #9
TAE

TAE is well on the road to greatness

It may have changed by now, but about a year ago, I heard that yes, SSDs are faster, etc., but that they also have a far reduced lifetime compared to your standard HDs....
That may have changed now, I don't know
Old 1st November 2011, 09:43 PM   #10
RicRoller

RicRoller is on a distinguished road

I have two SSDs in my HP entertainment laptop - mainly for coolness and extended battery life. (I am lucky - my laptop is one of those that does have two internal drive bays without having to give up a battery bay or thre CD drive)

Boot-up performance is much better than with the original hard drive.

I don't know where that idea of not having multiple partitions on a SSD came from; when I cloned the HP's hard drive onto the primary SSD in order to keep all the HP recovery partition stuff I kept the disk layout as-is with four partitions. FWIW I used the "clone disk" feature of Acronis True Image Home 2011 ro move the stuff from the hard disk onto the SSD.

One thing that you definitely shouldn't do to a SSD is defragment it; you don't gain any performance and you just increase the wear on the flash memory cells by shunting stuff about.
So under Windows 7, turn off the scheduled defragmentation.

Also, under Windows 7, if the SSD supports it (most recent models do) - enable TRIM, so when stuff is deleted the freed memory cells are automatically background-erased (so when next written to, you get the best performance as the cells are already free and don't need to be erased before they can be rewritten).

Regards,
Richard
Old 1st November 2011, 09:53 PM   #11
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicRoller View Post
I have two SSDs in my HP entertainment laptop - mainly for coolness and extended battery life. (I am lucky - my laptop is one of those that does have two internal drive bays without having to give up a battery bay or thre CD drive)

Boot-up performance is much better than with the original hard drive.

I don't know where that idea of not having multiple partitions on a SSD came from; when I cloned the HP's hard drive onto the primary SSD in order to keep all the HP recovery partition stuff I kept the disk layout as-is with four partitions. FWIW I used the "clone disk" feature of Acronis True Image Home 2011 ro move the stuff from the hard disk onto the SSD.

One thing that you definitely shouldn't do to a SSD is defragment it; you don't gain any performance and you just increase the wear on the flash memory cells by shunting stuff about.
So under Windows 7, turn off the scheduled defragmentation.

Also, under Windows 7, if the SSD supports it (most recent models do) - enable TRIM, so when stuff is deleted the freed memory cells are automatically background-erased (so when next written to, you get the best performance as the cells are already free and don't need to be erased before they can be rewritten).

Regards,
Richard

I have two hard drives in this system and if I could afford it, I'd replace them with SSDs in a minute and a half
Old 3rd November 2011, 04:18 AM   #12
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future

I upgraded my 10,000 rpm WD velociraptor normal HD which is still very fast, to a cheap 60gb OCZ vertex, SSD the difference is very noticable on large data hauls eg. bootup, games, graphics etc.

249 for 250gb is seriously expensive, considering you can get 3TB on a normal HD, 12 times as much space, for less.

iPlus360.com || Free downloads || Free PHP script generator
If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 3rd November 2011, 04:39 AM   #13
stokerg
Serif Europe Limited

stokerg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
to a cheap 60gb OCZ vertex, SSD the difference is very noticable on large data hauls eg. bootup, games, graphics etc.
Just brought the same drive myself for 60 as an upgrade for my desktop, just waiting on delivery, should be here for the weekend. I know 60gb is by no means massive, but its enough for the OS and Battlefeild 3 so im happy. Will report back with my findings
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:59 PM   #14
RicRoller

RicRoller is on a distinguished road

IMO the "sweet spot" for SSD capacity vs. price is somewhere in the 80-128GB range; I would definitely find 60 or 64GB too small - especially when my laptop has a 16GB service/recovery partition!

Also, I've heard it said that you should keep at least around 20GB free on a SSD ("over provisioning") to enable the wear levelling to do its job more effectively.

Noticed that one or two hard drive retailers seem to be profiteering from the current shortage (seen prices for some models tripled or even quadrupled in just 2 weeks!!!). So SSDs may suddenly seem much better value...

Regards,
Richard
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:56 PM   #15
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicRoller View Post
Noticed that one or two hard drive retailers seem to be profiteering from the current shortage (seen prices for some models tripled or even quadrupled in just 2 weeks!!!). So SSDs may suddenly seem much better value...

Regards,
Richard
Yes, the terrible floods in Thailand have pushed hard drive prices sharply higher.
Old 5th November 2011, 01:56 AM   #16
stokerg
Serif Europe Limited

Well i got my small 60GB SSD drive today. I really was shocked at how light it is, really thought they had forgotten to put it in the shipping box.

Installed Windows 7 in under 15 mins from a USB stick and the machine now boots and fully loads Windows and the start up items (Skype, Origin and Steam) in 10 seconds flat.

Have to say im very impressed and also love how 'quickly' programs open up now, click the shortcut and bam the program is running.
Old 5th November 2011, 03:02 AM   #17
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokerg View Post
Well i got my small 60GB SSD drive today. I really was shocked at how light it is, really thought they had forgotten to put it in the shipping box.

Installed Windows 7 in under 15 mins from a USB stick and the machine now boots and fully loads Windows and the start up items (Skype, Origin and Steam) in 10 seconds flat.

Have to say im very impressed and also love how 'quickly' programs open up now, click the shortcut and bam the program is running.
welcome to the speed demon club!

iPlus360.com || Free downloads || Free PHP script generator
If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 5th November 2011, 01:07 PM   #18
TAE

TAE is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokerg View Post

Wow; I just searched round my laptop (in vain) looking for a space which might just fit an extra hdd in. I would almost sacrifice my CD drive for a 10 second start up!
Old 5th November 2011, 01:46 PM   #19
Bad_Wolf

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your replies.

I ordered the 240GB SSD together with Windows 7 Professional and share my experience when I have installed it.

The speed of this laptop is going down because the C drive there is only 3GB free. Often it is less than 1GB. I really do hope that with this investment, I can use the laptop for another 2 or 3 years.

Wish you all a very nice day.

Friendly greetings,

Bad_Wolf
acra-endeavours
Old 5th November 2011, 06:08 PM   #20
stokerg
Serif Europe Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAE View Post
Wow; I just searched round my laptop (in vain) looking for a space which might just fit an extra hdd in. I would almost sacrifice my CD drive for a 10 second start up!
Naz: Thanks for the welcome

TAE: I think the quad core processor im running helps things, plus i have a very stripped down version of Windows 7 64bit, no Windows Media Player for example, removed all the games, no Internet Explorer and only have 4 start up items, no DVD\CD drive, Plus 6 GB of RAM. Soon to be upgraded to 16 and also gonna treat myself to a hex core AMD 3.2 processor for xmas i think. This is of course a desktop pc. Having said that im sure you'd notice a massive difference if you did put a SDD drive in your laptop. From the review ive read a 60GB SSD drive is enough for the OS, just have a second hard drive for programs. Ive got 20.5GB free on the SSD at the moment, thats Windows 7, Web X5, Page X5, Battlefeild 3, VLC player, FireFox and Skype. Also got a 250GB sata 2 drive for my main storage.