Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > DrawPlus

Notices

DrawPlus Questions about using DrawPlus for vector graphics design

Old 30th October 2011, 10:08 AM   #1
David Walker
Advanced Member

David Walker will become famous soon enough
Default Help with installing

Using the prog and Resources disc and the Install Wizard, I loaded DP8 into my new computer. At first all went well and I was able to do a trial greeting card. However, later, after using other programs when I opened the prog, DP8 appeared on the screen, but I could not use it, at the top left hand side of the screen was the message DRAW PLUS 8 Not Responding. I have uninstalled both prog and resource. Has anyone any suggestions please as to what I may have done wrong and what I should do to get DP8 on to my computer.
Just for the record it is 64bit.

Last edited by David Walker; 30th October 2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 30th October 2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Help with installing

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Walker View Post
Using the prog and Resources disc and the Install Wizard, I loaded DP8 into my new computer. At first all went well and I was able to do a trial greeting card. However, later, after using other programs when I opened the prog, DP8 appeared on the screen, but I could not use it, at the top left hand side of the screen was the message DRAW PLUS 8 Not Responding. I have uninstalled both prog and resource. Has anyone any suggestions please as to what I may have done wrong and what I should do to get DP8 on to my computer.
Just for the record it is 64bit.
DP8 is very old - I doubt it supports 64 bit.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 30th October 2011, 11:08 AM   #3
David Walker
Advanced Member

Hi Ali.
Lovely to hear from you. I hope you are now happily settled into your new home.
Thank you for your help re DP8. I like to design the occasional card so it looks as though I will have to see about getting the latest version of DP. How far is it off Christmas????????
Old 30th October 2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Hi Ali.
Lovely to hear from you. I hope you are now happily settled into your new home.
Thank you for your help re DP8. I like to design the occasional card so it looks as though I will have to see about getting the latest version of DP. How far is it off Christmas????????
Well, David, I'd just wait a bit and see if anyone else has it running successfully on 64 bit (Win 7, I presume?) before you go forking out! Yes, the move went well back in July and boxes were epmptied within six weeks. We tidied the last 'holding' room last weekend, so all is now ship-shape.
WPX2-6 SITES: The Falcon Inn (X6) | Martin Sexton - Artist (X2) | Clover Greetings
(X6)
Old 30th October 2011, 12:16 PM   #5
David Walker
Advanced Member

Hi again Ali.
Glad to hear all went well with the move, you certainly chose a lovely part of the country to live in.
Not quite sure what to think about my new kit, but perhaps at my age, 75, it is difficult to deal with change, or is it the fear of messing it up. It was the family who insisted I upgrade. I now have an Acer Aspire Z5761 23" Touch Monitor (If I dare to!!) Intel core i3 processor 2100, Intel HD graphics up to 1696 MB, DVD Super Multi drive. Win 7 Home Premium 64bit. 4GB DDR3 memory, 1.5TB Hard Drive etc. I feel like I am sitting at Cape Canaveral on launch day when I am at the keyboard. This learning curve is far to steep for me, I'm afraid!!!!!
BTW. Give my best to Woodbridge next time you are there.
Old 30th October 2011, 02:52 PM   #6
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
How far is it off Christmas????????
Fifty-five days, nine hours and forty-seven minutes — approximately!!

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 30th October 2011, 03:13 PM   #7
elderflower

elderflower will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi again Ali.
Not quite sure what to think about my new kit, but perhaps at my age, 75, it is difficult to deal with change, or is it the fear of messing it up. It was the family who insisted I upgrade. I now have an Acer Aspire Z5761 23" Touch Monitor (If I dare to!!) Intel core i3 processor 2100, Intel HD graphics up to 1696 MB, DVD Super Multi drive. Win 7 Home Premium 64bit. 4GB DDR3 memory, 1.5TB Hard Drive etc. I feel like I am sitting at Cape Canaveral on launch day when I am at the keyboard. This learning curve is far to steep for me, I'm afraid!!!!!
Wow - that's some upgrade
I would love the size of screen, and all the rest, but not sure about the touch bit! That would take some getting used to.

Hi David - I don't think we've met before. As a soon to be 80 yr old, know what you mean about learning curves.

I'm getting on very happily with DPX4, on Win7 64 bit laptop. you may find bargains still to be had if you "haggle" with the shop people. Not such a huge learning curve from DP8, though I did progress through X2, X3 to X4.

I'm a bit disillusioned with X5, which is only on my XP computer, lots of lovely bells and whistles but no thumbnail browser of previous files - a big bug bear for me. And I'm not into fancy animations etc...

Last edited by elderflower; 30th October 2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 30th October 2011, 04:36 PM   #8
David Walker
Advanced Member

I would love the size of screen, and all the rest, but not sure about the touch bit! That would take some getting used to.
[COLOR="Red"]Hi Elderflower. The Touch screen is optional, but it is handy if I have to hide the keyboard and mouse should the cat decide to walk along my desk!!! However, like most things it is a bit gimmicky and heavy usage means regular removal of finger marks from the screen!!!.

Hi David - I don't think we've met before. As a soon to be 80 yr old, know what you mean about learning curves
Good to meet you. One thing Ihave found about the SERIF forum, is that you meet some very nice, very helpful people. At my rate of learning, does anyone know if they have Wi-Fi in heaven?

Last edited by David Walker; 30th October 2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 30th October 2011, 04:50 PM   #9
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
[COLOR="Red"]Hi Elderflower. The Touch screen is optional, but it is handy if I have to hide the keyboard and mouse should the cat decide to walk along my desk!!! However, like most things it is a bit gimmicky and heavy usage means regular removal of finger marks from the screen!!!.

Hi David - I don't think we've met before. As a soon to be 80 yr old, know what you mean about learning curves
Good to meet you. One thing Ihave found about the SERIF forum, is that you meet some very nice, very helpful people. At my rate of learning, does anyone know if they have Wi-Fi in heaven?

Hahahahaha, David

We'll put in a special request for you, how's that?

Meanwhile, if you want to live on the edge a bit, go get the free DrawPlus Starter Edition to get a feeling for how things in DrawPlus have changed since your verion 8.

http://serif.com/FreeDownloads/

I know that business on cats walking on the keyboard. ThreeSpot does so even while I'm typing. I wonder if laptop computers come with touch screens?
Old 30th October 2011, 07:17 PM   #10
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Hahahahaha, David

I know that business on cats walking on the keyboard. ThreeSpot does so even while I'm typing. I wonder if laptop computers come with touch screens?

See what I mean? I took this shot last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThreeSpot_SitsOnKeyboard.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	27361  
Old 31st October 2011, 11:59 AM   #11
David Walker
Advanced Member

We'll put in a special request for you, how's that?
NOT TO SOON PLEASE!!!!!!!
Meanwhile, if you want to live on the edge a bit, go get the free DrawPlus Starter Edition to get a feeling for how things in DrawPlus have changed since your verion 8.
Thanks for the tip MJH. Now why didn't I think of that???????
Old 1st November 2011, 03:48 PM   #12
YPT

YPT is on a distinguished road

Hi All,
Can't believe the familiar names since I last visited in July 2009 - you've answered one question on my posting earlier - DP8 prob won't work on W7 64bit. Elderflower mentioned their early versions - I started with either PP2 and DP3 or PP3 and DP2, but of late have been concentrating more on Photos (I won't swear and mention the programme I've been using).
All the best
Michael Walker.