Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 18th October 2011, 12:19 PM   #1
monica

monica is on a distinguished road
Default inserting PDFs into webplus

Can I insert full page PDFs not produced in serif into a webplus page with clickable links?
Also if I produce a PDF email in webplus how do I send it in the main body of an email using Gmail? I have tried every way to do this and it doesnt work.
thanks
Monica

Last edited by mjh; 18th October 2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added version
Old 18th October 2011, 12:22 PM   #2
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: inserting PDFs into webplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica View Post
Can I insert full page PDFs not produced in serif into a webplus page with clickable links?
Also if I produce a PDF email in webplus how do I send it in the main body of an email using Gmail? I have tried every way to do this and it doesnt work.
thanks
Monica
Hi Monica

What version of WebPlus are you using?

Do you want the contents of the PDF to be included on a page or a link to download the PDF?

Since a PDF is a file, you need to attach it to an email sent via gmail.
Old 18th October 2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
thanks
Monica
Hi, Monica

#1. Enter a link word or image, such as "Download my PDF file"....highlight it....right click...select Hyperlink...browse to your PDF file. Done. You can choose to open the PDF in a new window, which I always do, so that your website visitor doesn't have to use the "back" button when they are finished reading your PDF.

Lon "hope that helps" in California

I was there at the beginning of FullyPixel.com, a Serif Software User's Forum.
Old 18th October 2011, 01:03 PM   #4
monica

Hi I'm using X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Hi Monica

Do you want the contents of the PDF to be included on a page or a link to download the PDF?

Old 18th October 2011, 01:04 PM   #5
monica

Thanks Lon - very clear
Monica
Old 18th October 2011, 01:15 PM   #6
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks Lon - very clear
Monica
Monica,

If you look on the front page of the Rotary website I maintain, here: http://crossroadsrotary.net/, you'll see that I made a small thumbnail of a newsletter (PDF file), and linked it just as described above, to open in a new window.

Lon "linked at the hip to my work" in California

I was there at the beginning of FullyPixel.com, a Serif Software User's Forum.
Old 19th October 2011, 09:22 AM   #7
monica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon in California View Post
Monica,

If you look on the front page of the Rotary website I maintain, here: http://crossroadsrotary.net/, you'll see that I made a small thumbnail of a newsletter (PDF file), and linked it just as described above, to open in a new window.

Thanks Lon I see what you mean x
Old 7th November 2011, 08:55 PM   #8
LindaB

LindaB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Monica

I am trying to insert a pdf document (newsletter) onto my site. I've tried everything but my site won't accept it. The site crashes every time. I need to get it ON the site before I can link to it. How do I do that??? Support has told me to use Insert - Object, but it doesn't work. Help!
Old 7th November 2011, 08:58 PM   #9
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaB View Post
I am trying to insert a pdf document (newsletter) onto my site. I've tried everything but my site won't accept it. The site crashes every time. I need to get it ON the site before I can link to it. How do I do that??? Support has told me to use Insert - Object, but it doesn't work. Help!
Hi

What is the filename of the PDF? Does it have spaces, uppercase letters or special characters? These can be troublesome with some hosts.

GO to File > Publish Site > Maintain Site > upload the PDF to the root directory.

On the WebPlus page, link to An Internet site and use the full url of the location of the PDF. http://mydomain.com/myfile.pdf
Old 8th November 2011, 11:38 AM   #10
damsky.zg

Location: Land of thousend island -- -- Zg - somewhere on hill
damsky.zg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon in California View Post
Monica,

hi Lon,
small thumbnail of PDf
damsky.zg

Last edited by damsky.zg; 1st June 2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 8th November 2011, 05:05 PM   #11
LindaB

Quote:
Hi

What is the filename of the PDF? Does it have spaces, uppercase letters or special characters? These can be troublesome with some hosts.

GO to File > Publish Site > Maintain Site > upload the PDF to the root directory.

On the WebPlus page, link to An Internet site and use the full url of the location of the PDF. http://mydomain.com/myfile.pdf

Thanks, mjh. The file name did have lots of characters, so I changed it to a simple name. I was able to import it that way, but I only got the first page of a 4 page doc. I re-sized the site page to hold the whole doc, but it still would not bring in the other 3 pages. LindaB
Old 8th November 2011, 05:17 PM   #12
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaB View Post

Thanks, mjh. The file name did have lots of characters, so I changed it to a simple name. I was able to import it that way, but I only got the first page of a 4 page doc. I re-sized the site page to hold the whole doc, but it still would not bring in the other 3 pages. LindaB

OK, so you want to include the contents of the PDF as pages on the site rather than attach the PDF file for others to download.... right?
Old 8th November 2011, 07:27 PM   #13
LindaB

OK, so you want to include the contents of the PDF as pages on the site rather than attach the PDF file for others to download.... right?

I can do it either way, but I don't know how to do either right now. On our current site (I'm working on a new site and haven't published it yet) you click on a link and it shows the doc in a new window, so you can see it before you print. I also want to import our newsletter so people can click on the link and just view it, and don't have to download it. If I just attach the file for others to download, can they view it first? LindaB
Old 9th November 2011, 12:09 AM   #14
ricktas

ricktas is on a distinguished road

Thank you. This is exactly why I joined the forums today. I have had WebPlux X4 for a few days now, and loving it, and I needed to know how to insert PDF links. Appreciate this thread and the replies.
Old 14th November 2011, 10:36 AM   #15
monica

Quote:
Hi Monica

HI I'm using Webplus X5. want to have a clickable PDF which opens on clicking the thumbnail.
Another query I have is - can I alter other PDFs or insert text into other PDFs and then save it. I have a designer who will do me some PDF flyers so I can insert text. Thanks
Monica
Old 14th November 2011, 10:41 AM   #16
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
HI I'm using Webplus X5. want to have a clickable PDF which opens on clicking the thumbnail.
Another query I have is - can I alter other PDFs or insert text into other PDFs and then save it. I have a designer who will do me some PDF flyers so I can insert text. Thanks
Monica
Open the PDF flyers as separate site,m make the changes and then File > Publish Site > Export as PDF.
Old 14th November 2011, 12:27 PM   #17
mcclen

mcclen is a splendid one to beholdmcclen is a splendid one to beholdmcclen is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Another option to presenting PDF's is to have your PDF converted to a flip book (it's free with several online options) & then embed it into your web page, one click & the viewer can open your pdf catalogue, magazine etc & read it online in the same format as a paper version.
There are different types of flip book, some use arrows to navigate others you can grab the page corner with your mouse & turn the pages like the real thing.
It adds a bit of style to a pdf presentation I think.

Here is an example on my web page of a magazine I made recently for the Australian Alpaca Association, scroll down the page & you will see it just under the bullet points.
Click to read it full size http://www.oakgrovegraphics.com.au/advertising.html
Old 14th November 2011, 12:32 PM   #18
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclen View Post
Hi,

Another option to presenting PDF's is to have your PDF converted to a flip book (it's free with several online options) & then embed it into your web page, one click & the viewer can open your pdf catalogue, magazine etc & read it online in the same format as a paper version.
There are different types of flip book, some use arrows to navigate others you can grab the page corner with your mouse & turn the pages like the real thing.
It adds a bit of style to a pdf presentation I think.

Here is an example on my web page of a magazine I made recently for the Australian Alpaca Association, scroll down the page & you will see it just under the bullet points.
Click to read it full size http://www.oakgrovegraphics.com.au/advertising.html
Frank B. had been offering creating flipping books for WebPlus users at no cost. Very sophisticated stuff.
Old 14th November 2011, 12:43 PM   #19
mcclen

mcclen is a splendid one to beholdmcclen is a splendid one to beholdmcclen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Frank B. had been offering creating flipping books for WebPlus users at no cost. Very sophisticated stuff.
Hi MJ,

Converting the PDF is not so hard, it's designing the original PDF magazine, catalogue etc to high quality standards that takes the time.

That's the graphic design part that is right up my alley, but then seeing it come alive on the net adds that dimension that standard PDF's can't match.
A perfect symbiosis of design & technolgy!

Web design takes graphic design into a new dimension - no wonder I love it so much!
Old 14th November 2011, 12:47 PM   #20
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclen View Post
Hi MJ,

Converting the PDF is not so hard, it's designing the original PDF magazine, catalogue etc to high quality standards that takes the time.

That's the graphic design part that is right up my alley, but then seeing it come alive on the net adds that dimension that standard PDF's can't match.
A perfect symbiosis of design & technolgy!

Web design takes graphic design into a new dimension - no wonder I love it so much!
Julie

You are certainly graphically talented, no doubt about it.

I'll see if I can find Frank B.'s offer. Many WebPlus users took advantage of his offer.