Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > DrawPlus

Notices

DrawPlus Questions about using DrawPlus for vector graphics design

Old 7th October 2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold
Default Known issue with copying & pasting images

Dear DrawPlus X5 users,

We have recently discovered an issue with the DrawPlus X5 12.0.1 update. If you copy an image by using Edit > Copy and Edit > Paste (or Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V) then save your drawing, the images will be lost when you next load the drawing. Sometimes when you try to save you may see an error message that "An unknown error occurred while accessing an unnamed file". Applying certain operations to the lost images (e.g. the Eraser tool) can also cause a crash.

The easiest workaround for this issue is to copy your images by holding the Ctrl key and dragging the image with the mouse cursor (this does not use the Windows clipboard to create the copy and so bypasses the problem).

Alternatively, import further copies of the image from the Insert Picture option on the toolbar or Insert menu.

A fix is being implemented for this at the moment and we hope to release a 12.0.2 update soon that will include the fix.

Please accept our sincere apologies that this was not found before the release of the 12.0.1 update and we hope that the above workarounds will prevent this issue from affecting you in future.
Old 12th October 2011, 01:00 AM   #2
tucker61953

tucker61953 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Known issue with copying & pasting images

When will this patch be released? I'm stuck with X4 until this patch comes out.
Old 12th October 2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Mark Ingram
Serif Europe Limited

Mark Ingram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker61953 View Post
When will this patch be released? I'm stuck with X4 until this patch comes out.
As soon as it's been through testing it can be released. I can't tell you how long that might take though as it depends on what the testing finds. All I can say is that we're working to get the patch out as fast as possible.

Mark Ingram
DrawPlus and CraftArtist Project Manager

Reporting Software Issues To Serif
Old 12th October 2011, 03:21 PM   #4
atryer

atryer is on a distinguished road

Hi, newbie here and thankfully not alone with this problem, i have files saved but obviously donīt open ...not recognised ??? sorry not tecnical! .do i have to redo them? or will your solution enable me to get back into my work? I have found that on occasion i am able to select all my work and repaste into new drawing and it will save everything, when i return to my original work it wonīt save at all???? confused easily lol!
Old 12th October 2011, 10:20 PM   #5
atryer

atryer is on a distinguished road

me again, just found out that by using the replicate tag in the tools dropdown this also allows your work to be saved rather than copy paste ...no idea why, but it worked for me along with the drag method so thanks.
Old 13th October 2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Vanessa105813
Message imported from old Serif Forum

I have the same problem ,and I didn't solve it...

Old 17th October 2011, 01:15 PM   #7
sunset

sunset is on a distinguished road

Thanks!
Busy Bee Basics, Hilary's Family History Pages, Sunset Scraps, Hilary's Research Pages.
Old 18th October 2011, 01:28 AM   #8
tucker61953

We have recently discovered an issue with the DrawPlus X5 12.0.1 update.

Does this problem exist only if the patch is installed? If I reinstall without the patch, will the clipboard work?

Thx
Old 18th October 2011, 09:16 AM   #9
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker61953 View Post
Does this problem exist only if the patch is installed? If I reinstall without the patch, will the clipboard work?
Yes, if you uninstall the update then this issue will not occur but you will also lose all the fixes that the 12.0.1 update includes.

As this issue can be worked around by using Ctrl+Drag rather than Copy & Paste, I would recommend that route rather than removing the update and losing all its other fixes.

We hope to have a new update available in the next 2-3 weeks if all goes well, so it won't be long to wait.

Thanks for your patience.
Old 20th October 2011, 08:34 AM   #10
over the hill

over the hill is on a distinguished road

I don't want to rain on someone's parade but I didn't use Copy/Paste, I used the insert/Picture. Every time I try to use a new document but try to use the insert/Picture option on an image that was lost, that image is blank.
Old 20th October 2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Sarah W
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the hill View Post
I don't want to rain on someone's parade but I didn't use Copy/Paste, I used the insert/Picture. Every time I try to use a new document but try to use the insert/Picture option on an image that was lost, that image is blank.
If you have used Copy/Paste in a document, then using Insert Picture to try to insert the same image again in that same document will also fail because that resource is broken.

Using Insert Picture in a brand new document should not be affected by this problem, because the resource references are stored per-document.

Can you describe a complete, specific set of steps by which you end up with this situation?
Old 19th February 2012, 11:37 PM   #12
tevets

tevets is on a distinguished road

I am having similar problems to the original post and I am using the latest version 12,0,3,25. It is driving me nuts the amount of bugs and crashed X5 is throwing at me. Even when you think you have sorted it you save the file, re-open it later and the images are corrupt.

Are we to expect a fix any time soon?
Old 20th February 2012, 01:54 PM   #13
tucker61953

Agree with Tevets- problem still exists. I have submitted trouble tickets, including attaching the corrupted files, but Serif support ignores them. What gives?
Old 20th February 2012, 09:56 PM   #14
TickleOnTheTum

TickleOnTheTum is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been getting this error a lot lately (12.0.3.25)...
Old 21st February 2012, 11:15 AM   #15
Mark Ingram
Serif Europe Limited

Hi all, we've had similar reports recently so it seems a variant of this issue still exists. Can anyone describe a recipe which can be used 100% of the time to replicate the issue? We're trying here, but can't get it to happen.

Mark Ingram

Old 22nd February 2012, 09:39 PM   #16
tevets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ingram View Post
Hi all, we've had similar reports recently so it seems a variant of this issue still exists. Can anyone describe a recipe which can be used 100% of the time to replicate the issue? We're trying here, but can't get it to happen.
The corrupt files happen every time I save a keyframe project When you reopen the saved file the images on the first frame are correct but all subsequent frames have corrupt images, normally an image from a previous frame that has been distorted. It only corrupts pictures, text and DrawPlus objects remain as they should be.

As to creating animated gif's or SWF files it is hit and miss since the update, which is an improvement but not much of a one. What I have found is often if you don't have the first frame highlighted it misses out that frame entirely in the created file. Even if you do have the first frame highlighted it will then miss other frames.
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:38 AM   #17
Mark Ingram
Serif Europe Limited

Can you give some step by step instructions? Such as, 1) insert a bitmap, 2) insert 2 keyframes, 3) move bitmap on keyframe #2. Etc. Anything like that would really help .

Mark Ingram

Old 23rd February 2012, 10:18 PM   #18
tevets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ingram View Post
Can you give some step by step instructions? Such as, 1) insert a bitmap, 2) insert 2 keyframes, 3) move bitmap on keyframe #2. Etc. Anything like that would really help .
I have tried numerous ways of creating the files. I have used different picture formats such as png, gif and jpg. I have imported them in different ways, through the programs import, cut and paste, drag and drop, drag with Ctrl held down.

I have created the keyframes by setting up the project with the required number of blank frames and then working on each frame. I have created one frame and then added to it, both with a copy that I then change and a blank page, which I then create the frame. I have built each frame from scratch, I have created each frame separately as an individual DrawPlus file and cut and pasted it in place. I don’t think there are many combinations I haven’t tried.

Whilst creating a project the program works OK. As soon as you save, close the file and or program, and then try to reopen the graphics are corrupt.
Old 28th February 2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Limited

Patrick Connor has a brilliant futurePatrick Connor has a brilliant futurePatrick Connor has a brilliant futurePatrick Connor has a brilliant future

As the French and German patches 12.0.3 are not live yet, may I just check that you are using the English version and that it is version 12.0.3?

Thank you.
Old 28th February 2012, 08:30 PM   #20
tevets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Connor View Post
As the French and German patches 12.0.3 are not live yet, may I just check that you are using the English version and that it is version 12.0.3?

Thank you.
Yes, using English verion 12.0.3.25

Also found another issue that hotspots are not exported, or even work in the previews of animations. I have tried both animated gif's and swf exports but the hotspots don't work, they did in previous versions of DrawPlus.