Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 1st October 2011, 06:17 PM   #1
rena

rena is on a distinguished road
Default Web page not found on my computer

I have successfully published my web site (www.primalbirth.co.uk) and it is opening perfectly on all computers, except my own and my husband's which both have Serif WebPlus X4 installed. I can open other website without problem.

We have tried deleting our browsing history, re-setting the default settings and dis- and re-connecting internet connection. We have tried through Internet Explorer and Firefox, but still these two computers will not open the web site. My computer did perfectly open the website yesterday when it was first published, but no longer will open. We have checked with the hosting provider and ascertained there is no problem there. HELP!
Old 1st October 2011, 06:20 PM   #2
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Web page not found on my computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena View Post
I have successfully published my web site (www.primalbirth.co.uk) and it is opening perfectly on all computers, except my own and my husband's which both have Serif WebPlus X4 installed. I can open other website without problem.

We have tried deleting our browsing history, re-setting the default settings and dis- and re-connecting internet connection. We have tried through Internet Explorer and Firefox, but still these two computers will not open the web site. My computer did perfectly open the website yesterday when it was first published, but no longer will open. We have checked with the hosting provider and ascertained there is no problem there. HELP!
Hi and welcome to the Serif forums.

Having WebPlus installed should not make a difference. I have several versions installed and have never had a problem viewing a published site.

Sorry, I have no insight to share with you.
Old 1st October 2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Tim

Tim is well on the road to greatness

Rena

Like Marilyn I have no idea what the problem with the computers could be.

But on your site check the "Primal Births" page as when you are on it you cant select anything, nothing on the Nav bar or any text. My guess is you have a transparent quick shape covering the whole page.

Windows 7 Home Premium. Intel(R)Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.5GHZ - 4GB RAM - 64 bit - 1 Terabyte

Last edited by Tim; 1st October 2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 1st October 2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena View Post

Welcome to the forums, rena

I'm not sure what the issue could be, you could try a reset of your browsers and have you also tried viewing in Opera/Safari/Chrome? Once you've sorted the issue, you may like to start a thread for a review, I see some issues when viewing the website in FireFox that can be fixed.
Old 1st October 2011, 08:42 PM   #5
TAE

TAE is well on the road to greatness

I have no idea what the problem is
But I assume that you and your husband use the same internet connection. Are there any other computers (or internet connectable devices) in your house which use the same internet connection? If so, try it on them to establish whether it is your network (internet) connection, or something else.

Hope this helps,
TAE
Old 1st October 2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Northants Website Design
Advanced Member

Northants Website Design will become famous soon enough

When you say that you can't open it, what exactly happens?

What gets displayed?

Any error messages?
Old 2nd October 2011, 01:19 AM   #7
mcclen

mcclen is a splendid one to beholdmcclen is a splendid one to beholdmcclen is a splendid one to behold

It opens & works fine for me in IE8, but nav bar does not function on the Primal page in Chrome or FF.
Otherwise seems to be all there.

Do you have identical nav bars on a master page as well as on some pages, or on 2 master pages, as I can see on some pages a quick flash of a second nav bar hidden behind the one that is showing?
You only need one per page.

Also, whilst looking through & testing the pages I didn't see a way for anyone to purchase your book or download copy, maybe I just missed it, but thought I should mention it.
Old 2nd October 2011, 07:24 AM   #8
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclen View Post
It opens & works fine for me in IE8, but nav bar does not function on the Primal page in Chrome or FF.
The Primal Birth page has several huge text boxes on top of everything else:
HTML Code:
<div id="txt_148_C01" style="position:absolute; left:0px; top:0px; width:750px; height:952px;">
    <div class="Normal-P2">
        <span class="Normal-C14">gg</span><span class="Normal-C15"></span></div>
</div>
<div id="txt_149_C01" style="position:absolute; left:0px; top:0px; width:750px; height:937px;">
    <div class="Normal-P2">
        <span class="Normal-C14">g</span><span class="Normal-C15"></span></div>
</div>
<div id="txt_150_C01" style="position:absolute; left:0px; top:0px; width:750px; height:946px;">
    <div class="Normal-P2">
</div>
<div id="txt_151_C01" style="position:absolute; left:7px; top:0px; width:743px; height:938px;">
    <div class="Normal-P2">
        <span class="Normal-C14">g</span><span class="Normal-C4"></span></div>
</div>
At first I thought they were completely empty, but they all have one or two occurrences of a tiny letter 'g': these are visible at the top of the page (above the navbar).

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 2nd October 2011, 07:53 AM   #9
meanman

meanman is well on the road to greatness

If you have just changed the named servers i9t can take up to 48 hours before you will see your site even if others can see it, if your service provider is Virgin Media in the UK they are particularly bad at updating the DNS, you could try using Googles public DNS here is how to do that
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html
you can also try opening a CMD box by typing cmd in search then type this into it
ipconfig/flushdns push enter this will flush your DNS .
Other things to try is ccleaner it is a great free tool but if you dont check the options correctly you could lose any saved passwords and websites.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:52 AM   #10
TAE

I've just realised that I had the same problem with one of my websites a week or two ago. It was fine on other internet connections, but I couldn't view it on any computers at home. I contacted my web host, and we tried a few things including the ipconfig
Quote:
you can also try opening a CMD box by typing cmd in search then type this into it
That helped temporarily, but but it was very tempermental for a few days. I would try contacting your isp and ask them to help you "flush the dns" if the methods suggested by meanman don't work
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:00 AM   #11
rena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northants Website Design View Post
When you say that you can't open it, what exactly happens?

What gets displayed?

Any error messages?
When I try to connect to my website I get the: "Oops, Internet Explorer could not connect to www.primalbirth.co.uk. Did you mean www.primalbirth.com?" Althouth at first yesterday I was at least getting the first page, but only displaying text boxes and nothing else - none of the naviagation connections were there either.
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:13 AM   #12
meanman

Try what i posted above about changing to Googles public DNS
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:27 AM   #13
rena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Rena

Like Marilyn I have no idea what the problem with the computers could be.

But on your site check the "Primal Births" page as when you are on it you cant select anything, nothing on the Nav bar or any text. My guess is you have a transparent quick shape covering the whole page.
Thanks for that - I seem to have two navigation bars on top of each other.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:43 AM   #14
rena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Welcome to the forums, rena

I'm not sure what the issue could be, you could try a reset of your browsers and have you also tried viewing in Opera/Safari/Chrome? Once you've sorted the issue, you may like to start a thread for a review, I see some issues when viewing the website in FireFox that can be fixed.
Thanks for the advice. Safari says it cannot connect to the server. Google Chrome cannot connect. I don't have Opera.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:45 AM   #15
rena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAE View Post
I have no idea what the problem is
But I assume that you and your husband use the same internet connection. Are there any other computers (or internet connectable devices) in your house which use the same internet connection? If so, try it on them to establish whether it is your network (internet) connection, or something else.

Hope this helps,
TAE
We've tried different connections, but it doesn't make any difference. Thank you for the advice. It is clearly a problem with these two computers. Our IPS is LCN, but my husband has already contacted them with no success.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:47 AM   #16
rena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclen View Post
Otherwise seems to be all there.

Do you have identical nav bars on a master page as well as on some pages, or on 2 master pages, as I can see on some pages a quick flash of a second nav bar hidden behind the one that is showing?
You only need one per page.

Also, whilst looking through & testing the pages I didn't see a way for anyone to purchase your book or download copy, maybe I just missed it, but thought I should mention it.
Thank you for your info. I have found the navigation bar problems. Thanks also for pointing out the lack of a purchasing option - I had forgotten to add that the book is not yet published, am correcting these issues now.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:48 AM   #17
rena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
The Primal Birth page has several huge text boxes on top of everything else:
HTML Code:
<div id="txt_148_C01" style="position:absolute; left:0px; top:0px; width:750px; height:952px;">
    <div class="Normal-P2">
        <span class="Normal-C14">gg</span><span class="Normal-C15"></span></div>
</div>
<div id="txt_149_C01" style="position:absolute; left:0px; top:0px; width:750px; height:937px;">
    <div class="Normal-P2">
</div>
<div id="txt_150_C01" style="position:absolute; left:0px; top:0px; width:750px; height:946px;">
    <div class="Normal-P2">
</div>
<div id="txt_151_C01" style="position:absolute; left:7px; top:0px; width:743px; height:938px;">
    <div class="Normal-P2">
        <span class="Normal-C14">g</span><span class="Normal-C4"></span></div>
</div>
At first I thought they were completely empty, but they all have one or two occurrences of a tiny letter 'g': these are visible at the top of the page (above the navbar).

Alfred
Thanks for that Alfred - have found them and deleted ready for next re-publish.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:52 AM   #18
TAE

Can you connect to the website to upload the new files? It sounds like you can. It is just that you cannot view the site. That's odd, I thought you would be "blocked" from it all, if "blocked" from any of it.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:01 AM   #19
rena

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanman View Post
If you have just changed the named servers i9t can take up to 48 hours before you will see your site even if others can see it, if your service provider is Virgin Media in the UK they are particularly bad at updating the DNS, you could try using Googles public DNS here is how to do that
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html
Other things to try is ccleaner it is a great free tool but if you dont check the options correctly you could lose any saved passwords and websites.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Working through your suggestions, many thanks. When I try CMD ipconfig/flushdns I get "requested oprration requires elevation". I do not know what this means.

Have used ccleaner, but still same problem. Not sure about changing to Google DNS as there is a warning that it shouldn't be attempted by anyone who is unfamiliar with such actions (that's me!). We're going to retry LCN support, although they were no help last time.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:10 AM   #20
meanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAE View Post
Can you connect to the website to upload the new files? It sounds like you can. It is just that you cannot view the site. That's odd, I thought you would be "blocked" from it all, if "blocked" from any of it.
This is a valid point some webhosting providers have overly zealous port security that will ban if to many ports are opened at the same time via FTP this would result in you not having access to your site but it would also result in you not being able to connect to your site using your FTP program, can you connect to your site using ftp? if you cant ask your webhosting company if you have been banned and if so to unban you , you can get your ip from here:http://www.whatismyip.com/

"CMD ipconfig/flushdns I get "requested oprration requires elevation"."
Try running the CMD as Administrator, i cant tell you how because i dont know what windows version you are running, this may help:
http://www.lytebyte.com/2008/10/22/h...-command-line/

Last edited by meanman; 3rd October 2011 at 10:20 AM.