Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > PanoramaPlus

Notices

PanoramaPlus Questions about using PanoramaPlus for digital image stitching

Old 11th December 2013, 12:29 PM   #1
oberon
Advanced Member

oberon is on a distinguished road
Default How do you make a revolving Panorama?

What I would like to do is to take a photo of an object from 4 sides = 4 photos.

Stitch them together and then have them revolve, in the way you would see the object, if you were walking round it.

Would I be able to do this with the Free version of Serif Panorama or with Panorama Plus.

Or is there another method I could use.

Also would the Panorama be self rotating or would the viewer have to do something their end?
Old 11th December 2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How do you make a revolving Panorama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
What I would like to do is to take a photo of an object from 4 sides = 4 photos.

Stitch them together and then have them revolve, in the way you would see the object, if you were walking round it.

Would I be able to do this with the Free version of Serif Panorama or with Panorama Plus.

Or is there another method I could use.

Also would the Panorama be self rotating or would the viewer have to do something their end?
Panorama is only going to stitch your images together into an...er...panorama. If you don't own Panorama yet, then you might experiment with the free Microsoft stitcher, MICE http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...roups/ivm/ICE/

Neither of them will rotate the finished image as you are describing. For that, I think you are going to need to add something like a WOW Slider, or some add-on that will take your individual images...not a panorama...and rotate the images into view, as you've described.

Rather than a panorama, it sounds like you need to take the individual shots of your object, and then find a rotating add-on to give the effect of walking around the object.

You could do something similar with an existing slider in WebPlus. It won't give the effect of rotating, but you could use various fade or slidiing effects to allow your site visitor to start at one point viewing the object, and then, with your images in the proper order, allow them to "move" around your object.

EDIT: See the WOW Cube here: http://wowslider.com/jquery-slider-c...tack-demo.html

EDIT 2: One additional note about both Panorama and MICE...neither of them would stitch 4 photos taken from 4 different locations around an object, anyway. To get a proper panorama, the photographer has to stand in one location and take multiple overlapping photos, so that the software can find enough matching points to make your panorama for you. The picture of the golf course attached, is actually 4 photos that have been stitched into one, using MICE.

Lon "going in circles" in California
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131020_151059_stitch.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	44723  

Last edited by Lon in NWArkansas; 11th December 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11th December 2013, 02:15 PM   #3
alspar

alspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond repute

PanoramaPlus X4 - the full version - enables you to create Apple QuickTime virtual reality (VR) Videos of your panoramas.

Scroll down on this page: http://www.serif.com/panoramaplus/
Old 11th December 2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alspar View Post
PanoramaPlus X4 - the full version - enables you to create Apple QuickTime virtual reality (VR) Videos of your panoramas.

Scroll down on this page: http://www.serif.com/panoramaplus/
Thanks, Alan.

Does that allow the OP to go "around" an object? Or, is it meant more for standing in one location and panning around the room, for instance.
Old 11th December 2013, 03:21 PM   #5
alspar

alspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon in California View Post
Thanks, Alan.

Does that allow the OP to go "around" an object? Or, is it meant more for standing in one location and panning around the room, for instance.
Good question, Lon ... after much thought (hard work )

It depends on where you take the photographs from:

With a 'normal' panorama you stand in one place and take a series of overlapping photographs in stepped angles whilst rotating.
- Call it being inside the panorama...

To go around an object - you need to physically move around the object taking overlapping photographs - but always in the direction of the object - Call it an outside panorama.

And, I'm not sure what PanoramaPlus would make of that??? - and I'm not currently able to try it out....
Old 11th December 2013, 03:27 PM   #6
alspar

Quote:
Good question, Lon ... after much thought (hard work )

To go around an object - you need to physically move around the object taking overlapping photographs - but always in the direction of the object - Call it an outside panorama.

And, I'm not sure what PanoramaPlus would make of that??? - and I'm not currently able to try it out....
Upon further reflection I would probably take many photographs and create an animated GIF in DrawPlus.

Or possibly shoot a video with the object on a revolving table.

There are probably other (more expensive) ways.
Old 11th December 2013, 05:46 PM   #7
oberon
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, Alan.

Hi Lon
Thanks, That WOW Slider looks an awesome piece of Kit, I can't wait to try it out.

Something like the Cube Transition would do the job just fine!

@ Also thanks to Alspar for your input.

Just one more question if you get time, does the image fill the screen?
Old 11th December 2013, 09:02 PM   #8
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm not sure what PanoramaPlus would make of that??? - and I'm not currently able to try it out....
It would make nothing of that! It would not find any matching features. All the shots for stitching need to be taken from the same spot.

I once tried to take a panorama of a coast line by taking a photo every 50 yards or so. Although there was plenty of overlap, perspective caused the various features to be in different relative positions, hence PnP could not match them.

Geoff
Old 11th December 2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Quote:
Hi Lon
Thanks, That WOW Slider looks an awesome piece of Kit, I can't wait to try it out.

Something like the Cube Transition would do the job just fine!

@ Also thanks to Alspar for your input.

Just one more question if you get time, does the image fill the screen?
You can make your panoramas any size you wish, really. I work with images that are around 2000 pix wide out of the camera. By the time I stitch 3 or 4 of them together, I have a pano that is well in excess of the width of my screen. So, I resize to fit the project I'm working on, export as a .jpg file, and I'm done.

If your question is in reference to the WOW slider, I've not worked with it. I just assume you can size it to fit the size of your project, if you are working in WebPlus.

Lon "hope that helps" in California
Old 11th December 2013, 10:29 PM   #10
alspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Blanthorn View Post
It would make nothing of that! It would not find any matching features. All the shots for stitching need to be taken from the same spot.

I once tried to take a panorama of a coast line by taking a photo every 50 yards or so. Although there was plenty of overlap, perspective caused the various features to be in different relative positions, hence PnP could not match them.

Geoff
Thanks Geoff - that's precisely where I went during my 'Upon further reflection'.....
Old 12th December 2013, 12:06 AM   #11
oberon
Advanced Member

Quote:
You can make your panoramas any size you wish, really. I work with images that are around 2000 pix wide out of the camera. By the time I stitch 3 or 4 of them together, I have a pano that is well in excess of the width of my screen. So, I resize to fit the project I'm working on, export as a .jpg file, and I'm done.

If your question is in reference to the WOW slider, I've not worked with it. I just assume you can size it to fit the size of your project, if you are working in WebPlus.

Lon "hope that helps" in California
Hi Lon

'Wow Slider' looks great in the demos, I would like to put one on every page of a Web Site I am building.

Just hoping it is as easy to integrate as the Slide Shows that are packaged with Web plus.

I'll have to do some experiments and see how it compares as maybe a Web Plus Slide Show would also give me a similar result.

What I'm really looking for is a 'Virtual Tour' around an object, which would look as if it was revolving on a Turn Table.

But I don't have a turn table big enough for the job.

Maybe I should shoot myself a video but I want to go round the object in a perfect circle, so that it looks a professional job.

So I think I would need to make up a rig with a camera dolly track or something like that.

@ Thanks as well to Alspar: Me too! I was hoping that I could do a walk round with a still camera and then stitch them altogether.

So I think you've answered that question, that it won't work.
Old 12th December 2013, 01:42 AM   #12
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Quote:
Hi Lon

'Wow Slider' looks great in the demos, I would like to put one on every page of a Web Site I am building.

Just hoping it is as easy to integrate as the Slide Shows that are packaged with Web plus.

I'll have to do some experiments and see how it compares as maybe a Web Plus Slide Show would also give me a similar result.

What I'm really looking for is a 'Virtual Tour' around an object, which would look as if it was revolving on a Turn Table.

But I don't have a turn table big enough for the job.

Maybe I should shoot myself a video but I want to go round the object in a perfect circle, so that it looks a professional job.

So I think I would need to make up a rig with a camera dolly track or something like that.

@ Thanks as well to Alspar: Me too! I was hoping that I could do a walk round with a still camera and then stitch them altogether.

So I think you've answered that question, that it won't work.
Good luck on the project. Post back when you're finished, so we can all take a look.
Old 12th December 2013, 02:54 PM   #13
oberon
Advanced Member

Quote:
Good luck on the project. Post back when you're finished, so we can all take a look.
Ok Lon

Will do, thanks for your help@Alspar