Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

View Poll Results: Would you use Serif Products on a GNU platform?
Yes I want a GNU versions of Serif products 56 66.67%
Not interested in any GNU version 21 25.00%
I am intersted in a OSX version 13 15.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th September 2010, 01:14 PM   #41
kibi

kibi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vote for Serif on a Linux platform

I saw PhotoPlus x4 advertised in a recent Photography publication. It looked like quite an interesting bit of kit that I might like to get my hands on.
I headed over to Serif's website and I was dumbstruck to discover that Linux is not supported! What's up with that?
I think the pricing of Serif products is very reasonable, but you have lost yourselves a sale because you only support one of the three major operating systems.
Old 4th September 2010, 01:20 PM   #42
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibi View Post
I saw PhotoPlus x4 advertised in a recent Photography publication. It looked like quite an interesting bit of kit that I might like to get my hands on.
I headed over to Serif's website and I was dumbstruck to discover that Linux is not supported! What's up with that?
I think the pricing of Serif products is very reasonable, but you have lost yourselves a sale because you only support one of the three major operating systems.
Welcome to the forums, kibi

I'm guessing it comes down to the amount of Windows users versus Linux/Mac (any other O/S) and $$$ ().

Would they recover their money in releasing software compatible for those alternatives?
Old 4th September 2010, 02:39 PM   #43
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future

"three major operating systems. "

From simply a market share point of view, I wouldn't call linux a major operating system. It's about 1%-1.5%.

iPlus360.com || Free downloads || Free PHP script generator
If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)

Last edited by Naz; 4th September 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 4th September 2010, 03:06 PM   #44
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

According to Browser Stats its closer to 5%, but even taking the higher figure I'm not sure it could be called a major OS yet. MacOS just about qualifies.

I think it will be some years yet before it gets serious consideration from a relatively small company like Serif, which has its work cut out to keep its current range of products fully patched and up to date.
Old 4th September 2010, 03:49 PM   #45
kibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
"three major operating systems. "

From simply a market share point of view, I wouldn't call linux a major operating system. It's about 1%-1.5%.
I don't think is is a low as that. A mere circa 20% of my family and friends still use Microsoft's offering as an operating system.
This is the year 2010, things have moved on and people are realising that they need not be tied down to one specific (restrictive) operating system.
As far as user acceptance of "other" operating systems goes, my girlfriend didn't ever realise that she was not using Windows for 6 months until the dodgy .exe she'd downloaded wouldn't install.
Old 4th September 2010, 04:19 PM   #46
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future

The number could be anywhere between 1 and 5 it depends on who is measuring it and how. I know that OpenOffice says that there are 300 million users, and that this is based on the number of downloads, but i;ve downloaded it like 5 times and still don't use it.

I don't think Linux will ever be popular amongst consumers. As far as I can recall since 1999 I heard the rumblings of Linux is going to destroy Windows, and as you say its 2010 now, so if relatively no headway has been made in a decade its unlikely to ever happen.

I remember a couple of years ago when netbooks first came out, so many were sold or touted to have Linux compared to Win XP, but 12 months later retailer reported that almost 40% of netbooks with linux had been returned. After that most manufactures stuck to Win 7.

Also the majority of people are actually really happy with windows, it's functionality, compatability, ease of use, they don't see themselves as being tied down by the OS. And I don't see how Windows is restrictive to the common user.

Despite the fact that Linux is free and well known it still has not real following amonst consumers. Bill Gates once said you ca't beat free. Well something must be wrong if people are shgelling out 70 for Win7 and not touching 0 Linux.

If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 4th September 2010, 04:31 PM   #47
Arun Sarkar

Arun Sarkar has a spectacular aura about

If Adobe-Corel-Qutodesk-Serif produce all it's application on Linux platform also then you should notice the real differences.

This is the real big differences

I have linux mint with Xara. I am quite sure if serif products run on mint the I will just stop using Windows
Old 4th September 2010, 04:38 PM   #48
Naz
Expert

What are the differences?

Old 4th September 2010, 05:00 PM   #49
Arun Sarkar

Arun Sarkar has a spectacular aura about

Forget about GIMP-Scribus-Inkscape..... How many software company develop a linux based product like Photoshop-Corel Draw-AI-DPP-SPP-PPP ? If there is such products then the difference will change between that two OS

That is the difference
Old 4th September 2010, 05:08 PM   #50
kibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
Well something must be wrong if people are shgelling out 70 for Win7 and not touching 0 Linux.
People go into a shop and buy a computer unaware that they are paying for a Windows licence as part of the deal. If they knew that they could buy that same computer for maybe 30% - 40% off with the knowledge that post that agreement, they would then be able to choose from a multitude of operating systems (paid or free), things might be different. People just don't know that they are "having" to pay for the operating system as part of the deal.
If I were naive, I would walk into a retail shop and buy 5 PC's all for my own personal use in my own name for what ever reason - nobody else - and pay for five (5) Microsoft licences, I'd have been taken for a ride by Microsoft.

Anyway, it appears to me, Naz, that you are a Windows user, no problem, that is your choice. The thing is, why should Serif loose out on other potential customers because Serif don't support other operating systems. I for one am a "non-Windows" customer to Serif and so are circa 80% of my family and friends.
Old 4th September 2010, 06:00 PM   #51
Naz
Expert

I think you are giving Linux too much credit. If the Netbook saga was an experiment of how well people respond to Linux then by all degre people simply are not interested in Linux.

Yes I use windows. I've tried tonnes of OS's and frankly if i can't remain interested in Linux I don;t see how the average joe/jane would be.
For most the value proposition is you pay for windows and in return you get an operating system. You make an assumption that if people could choose an OS system they would not choose Windows. But thats a bad assumption given the 10 years or so Linux has been in the mainstream.

"The thing is, why should Serif loose out on other potential customers because Serif don't support other operating systems."

Business schools will tell you that some customers are not worth having becuase you will not make any money from them.

Let say for example it cost Serif an extra 100k per year to support 1 app for Linux.

Using their company data we can say that they have 6 million customers over 23 years for 5 major apps. Then lets take 3% and assume that the number of potential linux users among them.

6m/23yrs/5aps = 1565 potential Linuxers
lets say Serif receives 35 from each customer
1565*35 = 54,782.61.

= 54782.61-100000 = -45,217.39

and thats me being generous with the numbers

Old 4th September 2010, 07:28 PM   #52
kibi

Naz, you are not doing any favours for yourself. You are emphasising mere figures, the source of which is unknown. Perhaps you are an employee of Serif, I may be wrong, but if you were an employee of Serif, I'd like to think that you would be more in a position to promote your company rather than chase customers away.

A company has to look forward (beyond 2010) in order to survive. Microsoft's market share of operating systems is on the decline due to one having to pay money for Microsoft's offering as opposed to those who don't demand money for their operating systems, which depending upon one's choice are at the bare minimum excellent if not comparable to Microsoft's single offering.

I accept Microsoft;s offering as an operating system, I have to work with it every day due to the fact that the company for which I work opted for it.

I'd have thought though, Serif, as an independent company of Microsoft would embrace the idea of competing with mainstream companies who only offer their solutions on Microsoft's platform.

I certainly would like to pay for software produced by companies such as Serif who are not in the mainstream, generally because they have a passion for their product and usually offer a better product than the mainstream. I personally do not buy software or operating systems from mainstream companies because they simply do not care whether it works or not, they only care about money.
There are companies out there who care about their customers and I think that Serif is one of those companies. You Naz, are progressively proving me wrong.

Perhaps that big advertisement and PR thing in a glossy magazine was to be taken at face value just like any other billboard advertisement - please prove me wrong....
Old 4th September 2010, 08:05 PM   #53
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
Naz, you are not doing any favours for yourself.
Naz's figures may not be at all accurate but he does have a good understanding of the financial decisions a business has to take to survive.
Old 4th September 2010, 08:08 PM   #54
kibi

So, tell me, is Serif a money driven company or a customer driven company?
Old 4th September 2010, 08:13 PM   #55
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Ask Serif.

Go to www.serif.com and find the link to it's corporate.
Old 4th September 2010, 08:26 PM   #56
Archibald
Master

Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana

Quote:
All companies are primarily money-driven. They want to survive in fiercely competitive market places.

Of course they need to focus strongly on customers.

If you were running a software company, you would be daft to produce software for a different operating system if you are unlikely to recover the costs of the development.

You also need to recognise that Serif does not make much money out of each software package it sells. Out of the 80 for WebPlus, 11.91 goes in Value Added Tax. Then there is postage, tele-sales costs, advertising costs, employer's National Insurance, Corporation Tax, Statutory Sick Pay, Statutory Maternity Pay, business rates, buildings insurance, contents insurance, liability insurance, heating, electricity (including for air-conditioning), water and telecommunications. Add to that the overheads of staff supervision, personnel functions, book-keeping, pay-roll, accountancy, website development, staff training etc.

Last edited by Archibald; 5th September 2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 4th September 2010, 08:28 PM   #57
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
All companies are primarily money-driven. They want to survive in fiercely competitive market places.

Of course they need to focus strongly on customers.

If you were running a software company, you would be daft to produce software for a different operating system if you are unlikely to recover the costs of the development.

You also need to recognise that Serif does not make much money out of each software package it sells. Out of the 80 for WebPlus, 11.91 goes in Value Added Tax. Then there is postage, tele-sales costs, advertising costs, employer's National Insurance, Corporation Tax, Statutory Sick Pay, Statutory Maternity Pay, business rates, buildings insurance, contents insurance and liability insurance. Add to that the overheads of staff supervision, personnel functions, book-keeping, pay-roll, accountancy, website development, staff training etc.

Archibald

You forgot..... providing hosting space and supervision of this user to user forum.

LOL
Old 4th September 2010, 08:32 PM   #58
Archibald
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
You forgot..... providing hosting space and supervision of this user to user forum.
And customers expect Serif Customer Support to answer all manner of enquiries free of charge.
Old 4th September 2010, 08:35 PM   #59
kibi

Nice try, you seem to have had difficulty in providing me with a direct link. On the main page there just seems to be a load of corporate babble. No favours for Serif so far. I want to believe, but I am struggling, and nobody so far is helping me. It's a bit disappointing.

My question remains un-answered.

One thing that struck me though is the following.

"Founded in 1987 with the aim to develop better value alternatives to high-end design and publishing packages, Serif has been repeatedly praised for its powerful yet easy-to-use software which enables businesses, educational establishments, and ordinary PC users to achieve professional-quality results whatever their level of experience."

I believe I am an ordinary PC user and I am unable to achieve any result at all.
Old 4th September 2010, 08:42 PM   #60
Archibald
Master

Quote:
I believe I am an ordinary PC user and I am unable to achieve any result at all.
If you are using Linux, you are not an ordinary PC user.

So why don't you set up a company and recruit some staff to write a whole range of software titles for Linux that compete with Serif's PC software? You could make a fortune, but much more likely you would lose a lot of money.