Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 8th June 2012, 01:38 PM   #41
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by helponhand View Post
Can we have a copy item to all pages (in place)? If edited on one page it will change in the others?

Takes ages if you have a couple of hundred pages and have to edit one at a time
But that's what a master page is for ... You place all repeating content on the master where you only have to edit it once - the item is then changed on all pages that use the master. This has existed in WP as far back as I've been using the software.

Old 8th June 2012, 06:19 PM   #42
TAE

TAE is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
But that's what a master page is for ... You place all repeating content on the master where you only have to edit it once - the item is then changed on all pages that use the master. This has existed in WP as far back as I've been using the software.
Just one thing about the master pages - can you set them to display in front of all other content (e.g. if you have a panel on a master page, can it be set to display on top?
Old 8th June 2012, 06:34 PM   #43
helponhand

helponhand is on a distinguished road

Hi, I did have things like my footer on a master page, but has a couple of panels needed in the middle of the page and couldn't get them to be on top layer and ended up behind other content.

If you know a way to get the content of a master page to be in front of other content I am happy to learn.
Old 8th June 2012, 06:40 PM   #44
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAE View Post
Just one thing about the master pages - can you set them to display in front of all other content (e.g. if you have a panel on a master page, can it be set to display on top?
Quote:
Hi, I did have things like my footer on a master page, but has a couple of panels needed in the middle of the page and couldn't get them to be on top layer and ended up behind other content.

If you know a way to get the content of a master page to be in front of other content I am happy to learn.

You need to go to the Master Page Manager (Site tab or Tools menu) and drag the master page above the content. You can use the UP button, if you prefer. This was new in X5, I think.

Old 8th June 2012, 06:40 PM   #45
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAE View Post
Quote:

I'm assuming moving the Master Page(s) over the content or layering them via the Master Page Manager does not help?

EDIT : Two for one!
Old 8th June 2012, 06:44 PM   #46
TAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
I'm assuming moving the Master Page(s) over the content or layering them via the Master Page Manager does not help?

EDIT : Two for one!
Wow... you have taught me two tricks in less than 5 minutes! (one about pageplus, the other webplus)
Old 8th June 2012, 08:22 PM   #47
Tom-B

Tom-B is on a distinguished road

I'd like to have a page flipper.

you know the typre where you can turn them like book pages.

Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, Memory 16,361 Mb, Direct X 9.0, Intel Pentium III Xeon,
AMD Radeon HD 6900 series, Internet Explorer 9
Old 13th June 2012, 09:59 AM   #48
drjohnwilliams

drjohnwilliams is on a distinguished road
Default webplus X6/7 search and other suggestions

The search function in webplus X6 is poor. We sell curses with title like Level 6, Level 4 etc., If you search for Level 4 you do not see any Level 4 pages. Apparently this is because the system is set up to requre a 4 character string. Totally useless. Even if you put in Level not all the pages are dislayed. This limit of 4 characters should be removed so it works as a user would expect. It works OK on google but not in webplus. Webplus needs to update the search function which is too basic and means that a user might not get to the right page.

Also if you have pages hidden (e.g. if you want to show them at a later date, they will show up in the search results. It should be possibe to specify that if pages are hidden ie not in the navigation that these are disabled from the search results (unless explicitly enabled.)Maybe some scheduler linked to this, for example if a promotion is going to be made available for a short time the page is enabled and then disabled.

There should be some method whereby you can jump directly from the page list to open the page properties, ie inclued an icon perhaps on the right.) This would be useful for both pageplus and webplus.

The slider functionn could be made more useful for example to allow you to import pages from powerpoint so this becomes a slider presenttion.

When some files are changed and have to be imported/updated e.g. javascripts, menus etc., the system should do an automatic check and if changes detected should prompt if these should be updated, otherwise you have to remember each time.

Tabs on the left or right hand side of the page designer would be useful to show what masterpages were in use on that page. This would give much faster navigation to jump to them forman amendment or to remove from being attache to that page

Automatic addition of specific guidelines such as one thatshows the vertical or middle of each page would be helpful, rather than having to work out what the mid pointbis and then add it to the guidelines list

Use of variables in text should be clearer, e.g. by an icon or text, or tool tip type hover as it can be difficult to identify where a variable is being used in text.

Moderator note: Merged from its own thread into the main WPX7 wishlist thread

Last edited by Sarah W; 13th June 2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:00 PM   #49
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: webplus X6/7 search and other suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohnwilliams View Post
When some files are changed and have to be imported/updated e.g. javascripts, menus etc., the system should do an automatic check and if changes detected should prompt if these should be updated, otherwise you have to remember each time.
If you want the files to be kept as they were at the time of adding them to the site, use embedding. If you want the files to be updated dynamically, use linking.

Quote:
Tabs on the left or right hand side of the page designer would be useful to show what masterpages were in use on that page. This would give much faster navigation to jump to them forman amendment or to remove from being attache to that page
The Objects tab in the Studio allows full control over the addition, removal, order and visibility of Master Pages.

Quote:
Automatic addition of specific guidelines such as one thatshows the vertical or middle of each page would be helpful, rather than having to work out what the mid pointbis and then add it to the guidelines list
Please refer to the Help on dynamic guides.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 14th June 2012, 10:02 AM   #50
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold
Default WPX7 - Independent FTP Tool

The possibility of having the FTP tool to act independently of the program. If I upload a large website, a number of large file size resources (video, etc), and/or if there are a large number of files to delete from the server, I have to wait for that function to finish before I can resume working in WebPlus.
Old 14th June 2012, 03:22 PM   #51
drjohnwilliams

Alfred,

Thanks for your comments. The file updating I was referring to is that in the drop down menu: tools>site manager>File manager. I cannot see where the file list would be linked to here. If you are updating a java script menu where would that embedded link be made s that if you change the mnu structure that the nwe file is automatically uploaded from the file list?

Thanks

john
Old 17th June 2012, 09:02 AM   #52
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Alfred,

Thanks for your comments. The file updating I was referring to is that in the drop down menu: tools>site manager>File manager. I cannot see where the file list would be linked to here. If you are updating a java script menu where would that embedded link be made s that if you change the mnu structure that the nwe file is automatically uploaded from the file list?

Thanks

john
John,

I obviously misunderstood what you were referring to. If you use the 'Incremental Update' facility within the WebPlus FTP uploader, the program will work out which pages need to be reuploaded because of menu changes.

Regards,
Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 17th June 2012, 10:02 AM   #53
TAE

Also, if WebPlus could automatically create a "local" site, i.e. it builds it on your computer so that all the files are automatically located in the same folder... I try to keep all the images for each site in a folder specific to that site, but sometimes forget... if WebPlus did this automatically, it would be great
Old 21st June 2012, 02:17 PM   #54
drjohnwilliams

The use of the tabs was to be placed on the right or left hand side of the page area as per the attached image. You could then click to get top the master page, drag and drop to rearrange order etc.,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	serif master page link.PNG
Views:	124
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	33633  
Old 21st June 2012, 04:41 PM   #55
drjohnwilliams

Default Re: Copy and paste to inherit properties

I would like to be able to copy an object and for that copy to be capable of inheriting the properties of the original object. For example if I have an object like a panel which I have sent to the back or to a layer I would like to be able to take a copy of it with the same properties.

Currently if I copy it I have to reset the properties as the copy comes to the front.

Maybe there are two types of copy that could be provided; a copy and a copy Inherit, a bit like paste and paste in place. Copy does what it does now and brings it to the front, Copy Inherit bringes over the propeties as well so if an object is at the back the copy is also at the back.
Old 21st June 2012, 07:19 PM   #56
TAE

Default Re: Copy and paste to inherit properties

Quote:
I would like to be able to copy an object and for that copy to be capable of inheriting the properties of the original object. For example if I have an object like a panel which I have sent to the back or to a layer I would like to be able to take a copy of it with the same properties.

Currently if I copy it I have to reset the properties as the copy comes to the front.

Maybe there are two types of copy that could be provided; a copy and a copy Inherit, a bit like paste and paste in place. Copy does what it does now and brings it to the front, Copy Inherit bringes over the propeties as well so if an object is at the back the copy is also at the back.
Does paste in place not do this already?
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:14 PM   #57
MelonFuel

MelonFuel is on a distinguished road

I would like to see:-

Skype Button added (like the social media in X6)
Hellobar intergration.

I know you can do these 2 things now but i like the drag a drop and simplicity of new new social media buttons i think these 2 would be a great addition.
Old 22nd June 2012, 01:18 PM   #58
MAD MANX

MAD MANX is on a distinguished road

Improve the RSS reader tool so it does not bleed down on ipads/phones or android.
Old 27th June 2012, 12:43 PM   #59
mcclen

mcclen is a splendid one to beholdmcclen is a splendid one to beholdmcclen is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation We need a real fully functional CMS

Vote for a real CMS!

Tech support suggested I post this here after discussing with them the issues involved with integrating 3rd party CMS's with WP, as the developers apparently read this thread each day.

We all know the Serif CMS is not suitable for those of us who want an easy to use & intuitive fully functional CMS for our clients.

Recently numerous threads on the WP forum have debated the pros & cons of several CMS offerings.
The CMS issue has been one that is constantly raised year after year.

Many of us have concluded that Surreal CMS is closest to the perfect type of CMS interface we want for our clients, but doesn't always work with the way WP writes code.

I for one would be happy to buy this as an add on for WP if needs be.

So anyone who agrees that we need Serif to create their own Surreal quality CMS then please comment here.

I would suggest the perfect CMS would include:

- Editable regions clearly displayed by icons on a live page type interface like Surreal with optional id's.

- Very easy for clients to use & for designers to set up

- Ability to brand CMS as your own

- Ability to set individual permissions for each editor for every editing option.

- clients can publish changes to the live site, save as a draft or publish at a set time option.

- Easy addition of code etc to enable editable regions.

- Works with Serif lightboxes & galleries.
Old 27th June 2012, 01:21 PM   #60
El Dude

El Dude is on a distinguished road

+1 to the above. A CMS like Surreal would be awesome. We must vote for one!

I'd also like to add the option to clone a page within the CMS so a client could take a blank page and add whatever content they like.

Pleaaaase consider this a an excellent addition to a great piece of software!