Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 4th December 2012, 11:36 PM   #41
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: PagePlus for Linux ?

Threads are not the problem, its the baited hook that you have to watch out for.
Old 5th December 2012, 03:31 PM   #42
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlusDesign View Post
I believe Hell is a place with hundreds of threads like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
Threads are not the problem, its the baited hook that you have to watch out for.

Old 1st February 2013, 07:24 PM   #43
farrinux

farrinux is on a distinguished road

I would just like to voice my wishes here. It ssems that the OP like me would like to see Serif bring their products to Linux. I did not see that the OP wanted it to be free or even state a price. As for me I would be willing to pay as I have for the windows versions of their products. I have purchased many over the years. Why would I like this? Because after using Windows since 3.1 and always in (any version) there seems to problems ( As there is in any OS) . I find myself weary of their tech support and just plain ugly costumer support process. Too many times I have found myself on the end of their phone because their products do not play well together. All of that at my own expense. That is why I wish Serif and other software makers would wake up to Linux. There is a market here. It is those of us who will never again use a windows based computer. This is called a "Paradigm Shift". Linux, Ubuntu in my case is as easy as windows to use and when it fails. The answers are much easier to find. There is one caveat to this thread though, there is a viable alternative to DTP in Linux and it is Scribus.
Old 10th February 2013, 07:34 PM   #44
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

I've used or tried many versions of Linux over the years. My biggest issue is Linux installs. Not easy - Too many different ways on linux and none of them as easy was windows (IMPO). Xandros had something kind of like Google Play and tried to install all dependencies, but still fell short on some installs. Regular users don't want to be bothered with stuff like dependencies. They just want to install and use an app.

I think that is the biggest issue with Linux. No real standards - there are too many developers going in different directions instead of achieving a single goal. If there was ONE single depository for apps like Google Play, that might work.
Old 13th February 2013, 02:55 PM   #45
RaggedRat

RaggedRat is on a distinguished road

I have installed DrawPlus on Gnome/Debian using Wine: the only problem I am having is the Page background does not redraw properly.
To do this, browse the install CD in your GUI, right-click setup.exe and select "Run with Wine".
You may find the fonts are a little strange in some cases: still looking into that but no actual errors seem to be ocurring.
Old 6th March 2013, 02:54 AM   #46
gm10

gm10 is on a distinguished road

. . .

Last edited by gm10; 6th March 2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 30th November 2013, 06:17 AM   #47
MarcSayer

MarcSayer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PagePlus for Linux ? well yes, but....

I have managed to get PagePlus X2 to install and run in both Zorin 7 Core (32 & 64 bit versions) and Ubuntu 13.10 (so far only 32 bit version as that's all I have running). I am new to Linux and I was playing around with it in a VM and managed to accidentally get PagePlus X2 to install and work. But I had no idea what I'd done.

From what I can tell I installed PagePlus via wine directly that first time, because it was in the .wine directory not the PlayOnLinux directory. I installed programs directly from the desktop just as if it was Windows, and that worked. It installed everything in one virtual drive in the .wine directory. Later I could not replicate this and discovered that PagePlus shouldn't have worked at all. That made me curious. I had to go to an install using PlayOnLinux. And I could not get that to work initially because POL wanted to install each program into its own virtual drive.

Eventually I managed to figure out how to install everything into one virtual drive. And I figured out what things I needed to install in order for PagePlus to work. Well maybe not, I figured out what I had installed the first time and replicated that, and it worked. Some of the things I installed might not actually be needed, some definitely are (or at least they install things that are needed). I may get around to figuring out what isn't really needed down the road, by doing repeated installs with various things left out.

The process I came up with is a PITA and boggles the mind (it is definitely a big time kludge), but it works and I have been able to replicate this on 3 machines, 2 VMs and one physical machine. The VMs are running on a quad core AMD Win 7 x64 Ultimate machine running VBox and the physical machine is an ancient Soyo Dragon/Athlon setup. Thing is PagePlus does work when I am done, but I am sure that there has to be a better way to get here. My way involves installing Office 2010, IE 8, and a host of POL "components" like msxml6, dotnet40, riched30, mono28, dxfullsetup, and gecko. Then you have to install PagePlus (X2 is the only version I have tested as that's what we have). The install will fail. Then you reinstall it but not using the default CD link, you have to navigate directly to the setup.exe file on the CD for some reason. This will send you to the repair installation option which is exactly what you want to do. After you do that, the install will again seem to have failed. BUT the program is there and is now functional. You can even run the resources CD and the update. The update will also appear to fail, but it installs correctly.

The key is all this stuff needs to be installed on the same virtual drive. And to do that you have to go through some hoops. In addition, something breaks IE8 in this process. It works when you first install it (okay, as well as IE8 can on wine), but by the time you are ready to install PagePlus, it no longer works. But that's really not important as the only reason it has to be installed is to get some dlls or something installed that PagePlus or the PagePlus install needs. Afterwards you can delete the IE folder completely. Ditto the Office Folder. PagePlus will still work, I have verified this. But if you don't install those programs first, the PagePlus install will not work.

As I said, there has to be a better way to get here, this is just what I stumbled on. I have also verified that I can clone that virtual drive and save it to the POL folder of another machine, recreate the shortcuts, and PagePlus will work (at least on the versions of Linux that I have, which are all Ubuntu based). So I could package up that virtual drive as a shortcut to installing PagePlus (but the copy of PagePlus would need to be registered), or if anyone who is more savvy than me wants to mess around and see if they can find a simpler way to make this work.

Last edited by MarcSayer; 1st December 2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 1st December 2013, 07:11 PM   #48
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSayer View Post
I have managed to get PagePlus X2 to install and run in both Zorin 7 Core (32 & 64 bit versions) and Ubuntu 13.10 (so far only 32 bit version as that's all I have running). I am new to Linux and I was playing around with it in a VM and managed to accidentally get PagePlus X2 to install and work.
Welcome to the Serif forums, Marc.

Thank you for a fascinating first post, although a few paragraph breaks wouldn't have gone amiss!

[Disclaimer: I am not a Linux user.]

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 1st December 2013, 07:54 PM   #49
MarcSayer

MarcSayer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Welcome to the Serif forums, Marc.

Thank you for a fascinating first post, although a few paragraph breaks wouldn't have gone amiss!

[Disclaimer: I am not a Linux user.]

Alfred
He He. Yeah, no doubt. And as a writer, I should know better. But I was focused on sharing the details that seemed relevant and was sort of in a rush, so I just let it flow. Sorry about that.
Old 22nd April 2014, 03:34 PM   #50
Tomc

Tomc is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: PagePlus for Linux ?

Maybe now is the time for Serif to revisit this one.
As a staunch XP user until MS finally pulled the plug (& a staunch Serif users since PagePlus 1.0 – yes MS DOS days!), I've migrated the old computer to new hardware running W7. The other (2 year old XP system) is going to Linux Mint & the W7 one will be going to Linux Mint when it needs replacing in 5 or 6 years time. The ONLY thing getting in the way of that are Serifs products.
I've ditched Serif photo editors in favour of their competitors (Lightroom & Photoshop – money & wanting “free” software isn't the issue here). There is a decent vector drawing program in Linux which will do what I want (I don't get close to needing all the facilities in Draw Plus - nor do I have a large number of legacy files tying me to it). There is a DTP program in Linux (Scribus), but it doesn't get close to PagePlus, and there is NOTHING (anywhere) that gets anywhere close to WebPlus.
From what various people have said (here & elsewhere) about their attempts to get Serif products working on Linux, it wouldn't be too difficult (I'm thinking less than a person week) for a Serif developer to put together a list of prerequisites to enable Linux/WINE to run Serifs current product versions. That would enable us “Migrators” to get Serif products up and running on Linux (& with a bit more effort enable Serif to advertise their products as running on Linux).
Now for the commercial opportunities for Serif.
Last Autumn according to industry sources there were approx 500 Million XP systems in use. They can't be migrated to W7 (without infringing the MS licenses) & no one wants to go to W8 & we don't know if there will be a W9 let alone whether it will still support the “Desk Top” environment. So Linux suddenly looks very attractive. I did a bit of Googling, installed a second hard drive in the old XP box & set about installing Linux Mint (which according to “Google” was aimed at making the migration from Windows easy). It installed in about 10 mins alongside XP (so no risk there), could see all the XP data, network to my W7/XP/Vista network, …. and is so close to using XP/W7 that the learning curve was minimal. If I were still in my old IT management job I would be looking very very seriously about moving the companies desktop machines over to Linux, rather than shelling out for a whole lot of new computers and Windows operating system licenses. I will be very surprised if other IT managers around the world aren't thinking along similar lines.
What I'm saying is that I'm expecting to see a large number of those XP systems getting a new life as Linux machines & if they all do that, it will give Linux about 30% of the desktop market.
Serif have a couple of market leading products (PagePlus and WebPlus) with little or nothing to compete with them, especially in the world of Linux & potentially a lot of people who will need those facilities on Linux.
The alternative (for me & others) is to install XP in a VM on Linux & run the current Serif releases in there. But notice “current releases” - I'd be capped to what will run on XP, so the chances are that I wouldn't then be buying anything new from Serif, especially if Serif insist on staying in that dwindling number of vendors who's products are not cross platform.
Old 22nd April 2014, 05:19 PM   #51
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

I've seen several linux distros go the way of Windows with a similar new interface for phone, tablet and desktop. Like Ubuntu which has Unity 8 for touch screens. Until linux apps are as easy to install as Windows/MacOS apps and hardware drivers are available, Linux will stay a niche marker.
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:33 PM   #52
Tomc

Tomc is on a distinguished road

In my (albeit very limited) experience as a new Linux user transferring across from XP, Linux Apps are as easy to install as windows apps. Download a .deb file & double click it & it installs - just like an .msi or .exe does on Windows. (Linux Mint also provides a Package manager & a Software Manager as alternative ways to install software, and most Windows apps can be installed under Linux via a GUI).

From my research about Linux I too was concerned that drivers might be a problem. Whenever I've installed XP I've needed to install manufacturer's drivers for the hardware to get everything working properly. Then I've had to go and configure the network connection before I could get to the outside world. With the Linux Mint 16 distro, it was answer a few questions about machine name, time zone etc. wait 10 mins whilst the install ran & everything was up & working without any intervention from me (that compares with about 90 mins to get XP to the same point).

I still need to configure the printer (Lexmark Pro 901) but that claims to have Linux drivers on its install disc.

So my assessment so far is that Linux is (at long last) maturing as an end user system.