Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 16th July 2011, 07:36 AM   #1
lukas

lukas is on a distinguished road
Default PagePlus for Linux ?

Hi,

Are there plans to make a Linux version of PagePlus and other Serifa software ?

Lukas
Old 16th July 2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: PagePlus for Linux ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas View Post
Hi,

Are there plans to make a Linux version of PagePlus and other Serifa software ?

Lukas
No. It has been raised before, and the consensus is that it is unlikely in the extreme because it would not be a financially viable venture for a company like Serif with such a tiny development team.

Old 16th July 2011, 09:23 AM   #3
lukas

Hello,

And thank you for your replay. I must disagree with you. Linux currently lacks a professional DTP software. So Linux is a open market. Distributions like Ubuntu gain popularity, mainly because they're free and much more stable than Windows. I'm a chief graphics designer in a printing house, and I would transfer all of our workstations to Linux if only there would be a native professional software like PagePlus.

Adobe monopolized Windows and OSX markets, so perhaps Linux would be your business opportunity?
Old 16th July 2011, 09:29 AM   #4
lukas

Oh, and I forgot to mention about Ubuntu Software Center, which would definitely help distributing the software.
Old 16th July 2011, 09:39 AM   #5
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I must disagree with you.
Ali is right. The consensus is that it will not happen in the foreseeable future.

You are apparently new to the Serif forums, so why do you think you know better than someone who has been contributing here for years?

As a long term member of many forums, I have heard these arguments for porting products to Linux many times before. If it were an attractive new market, you can be sure that software companies like Serif would be taking that route. Its not, so they are not even remotely interested from comments I have read from developers.

Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end; there it is. (Winston Churchill)
Old 16th July 2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
I must disagree with you.
Please re-read my response. I gave you the consensus view - that is, what the majority here (including some Serif staff) have expressed as their opinion each time this has been raised. Pesala and I have been around here for a long, long time!

Old 1st August 2011, 09:14 PM   #7
OptiRick

OptiRick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
Ali is right. The consensus is that it will not happen in the foreseeable future.

You are apparently new to the Serif forums, so why do you think you know better than someone who has been contributing here for years?
Your response came across as quite rude.

Serif may have no intention of porting their software to Linux but that doesn't mean that what lukas says is wrong.

My tuppenceworth....
I prefer to use Linux where possible but have been a Serif user for many years. I often find myself rebooting into Windows just to do a job that requires Page Plus etc.
As soon as there are Linux offerings that I find as usable as the Serif products that I use, I will be an ex Serif customer and another welcome step away from Windows.
Old 1st August 2011, 09:44 PM   #8
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptiRick View Post
Your response came across as quite rude.

Serif may have no intention of porting their software to Linux but that doesn't mean that what lukas says is wrong.
Read the whole thread again. What lukas said was wrong the consensus is as Ali said, so lukas was wrong to disagree with her, especially as a new forum member who has not followed previous threads on this topic as we have.

If you find the truth rude then that's your problem.
Old 1st August 2011, 09:50 PM   #9
OptiRick

Lukas said this:

Quote:
Linux currently lacks a professional DTP software.
Which is true.

Quote:
So Linux is a open market.
Correct again.

Quote:
Distributions like Ubuntu gain popularity, mainly because they're free and much more stable than Windows.
Ubuntu does appear to be gaining popularity.

Quote:
I'm a chief graphics designer in a printing house, and I would transfer all of our workstations to Linux if only there would be a native professional software like PagePlus.
I'm in no position to doubt the above.

If you can't entertain other people's opinions, then that's *your* problem.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:00 PM   #10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Quote:
If you can't entertain other people's opinions, then that's *your* problem.
I pulled Lukas up for disagreeing with Ali about the consensus here regarding porting Serif apps to Linux. That has nothing to do with his opinions about whether its worth doing or not. Its about whether the Serif developers think it worth doing or not.

Your problem is that you did not read the thread before replying.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:12 PM   #11
OptiRick

Quote:
Your problem is that you did not read the thread before replying.
I did read the whole thread. So I don't have a problem.

Lukas was disagreeing with whether it was financially viable.

Lukas' opinion was that it was. For the reasons that (s)he detailed.

What Serif decide to do is one thing, people's opinion is another.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:23 PM   #12
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Quote:
Lukas was disagreeing with whether it was financially viable.
Lukas was disagreeing with Ali, who said that the consensus here is that it is unlikely to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
No. It has been raised before, and the consensus is that it is unlikely in the extreme because it would not be a financially viable venture for a company like Serif with such a tiny development team.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:27 PM   #13
OptiRick

I don't believe that Lukas was arguing that it was likely to happen.
I think that Lukas was arguing that it was financially viable.

I agree that it would be financially viable. That doesn't mean that I think it will happen.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:36 PM   #14
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

You Linux fanboys have a real problem convincing anyone to port products to Linux. If it was financially attractive to do so, someone would do it, but its not.

Serif have a hard enough time releasing their Windows products on time and fixing the bugs in them to keep most existing users happy, without entering another entirely untried market.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:47 PM   #15
OptiRick

Quote:
You Linux fanboys have a real problem convincing anyone to port products to Linux. If it was financially attractive to do so, someone would do it, but its not.
That's the best laugh i've had this week! Linux fanboy?!
I struggle to use Linux to be honest but I muddle through.
Fact is i'm sick of the threat of viruses and keyloggers and constant firewall popups etc. That's before I get into how much I despise Microsoft and their BS licensing.

Quote:
Serif have a hard enough time releasing their Windows products on time and fixing the bugs in them to keep most existing users happy, without entering another entirely untried market.
Fine. But what we are talking about here is that if someone has the opinion that it is worthwhile porting software for Linux then that is their opinion.
If you don't agree with their opinion then also that is fine. But there is no need to be rude.

And Linux is growing. There is a real risk of fringe companies like Serif missing out if they don't adopt early.
Old 1st August 2011, 11:00 PM   #16
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Quote:
Fine. But what we are talking about here is that if someone has the opinion that it is worthwhile porting software for Linux then that is their opinion.

If you don't agree with their opinion then also that is fine. But there is no need to be rude.
What we are talking about is the consensus among Serif developers of the likelihood of Serif apps being ported to Linux. Lukas was rude to disagree with Ali, just because she stated a truth that he did not wish to hear.

And you are wrong to call me rude for pulling up Lukas for disagreeing with Ali's post in the first place.
Quote:
As soon as there are Linux offerings that I find as usable as the Serif products that I use, I will be an ex Serif customer and another welcome step away from Windows.
Sounds just like a fanboy to me.
Old 1st August 2011, 11:08 PM   #17
OptiRick

Disagreement isn't rude.

Quote:
That's rude. Especially as (s)he wasn't telling her she was wrong. Just merely explaining why (s)he thought that porting to Linux was a good idea.

The rest is merely opinion and fact.
Old 1st August 2011, 11:55 PM   #18
Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Limited

Patrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree,

Ali says we have no intention as it is a small market and we are a small company. True
Lucas said that market is open to be taken and that we would get help. True but it is still a small market.

The statements do not contradict each other. Expressing an opinion that the consensus is wrong is not the same as saying she was wrong in expressing the consensus view. He was doing the former.
Old 2nd August 2011, 06:17 AM   #19
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Quote:
Disagreement isn't rude.
Quote:
That's rude. Especially as (s)he wasn't telling her she was wrong. Just merely explaining why (s)he thought that porting to Linux was a good idea.

The rest is merely opinion and (not) fact.
I disagree lukas said that he disagreed with Ali's statement about the consensus. Ali was right about the consensus, and it was not rude to point out that lukas was wrong to disagree about that.

The rest about what lukas meant to say is mere conjecture. What he actually said was that he disagreed with Ali's statement, and being a new user was not in a position to question its accuracy.
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:53 PM   #20
OptiRick

Quote:
lukas said that he disagreed with Ali's statement about the consensus.
I don't believe he did.
I think it is logical to assume (given that neither of us know for sure) that he was disagreeing with the second part of her reply given that it is this that he backs up with facts.

How could he possibly be disagreeing with the consensus?