Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 23rd May 2011, 07:29 PM   #21
nfc212
Master

nfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond reputenfc212 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PLEASE READ - WebPlus Thread Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
On the High-Logic forums, posts by new users have to be approved by a moderator before they get submitted.
Some forums have a policy of not allowing new users to post live links until they have made a certain number of posts. Prevents the drive-by spammer.
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:31 PM   #22
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Ooops, something got STUCK

Old 24th May 2011, 02:12 PM   #23
Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Limited

Patrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unfortunately, this site doesn't allow users to edit threads to change the title or add the product version afterwards if they forget to select it on creating the thread.
Possibly it is because I am a mod, but any post you make should have an edit button, and if that post is the first in a thread, then the advanced button redisplays the "affects version" combo and allows the thread title to be changed AFAIK. Is that not true for you non moderators? Can't you edit the thread title and affects version of a thread you create in advanced mode?
Old 24th May 2011, 02:15 PM   #24
Mick
Expert

Mick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Connor View Post
Possibly it is because I am a mod, but any post you make should have an edit button, and if that post is the first in a thread, then the advanced button redisplays the "affects version" combo and allows the thread title to be changed AFAIK. Is that not true for you non moderators? Can't you edit the thread title and affects version of a thread you create in advanced mode?
I can see the Title edit Patrick from the advance option but not the version combo box

Intel Core i7 980X 3.60GHz - 8Gig DDR3 PC3 - Windows 8.1 - WPX8 16.0.4.32 - DPX8 14.0.1.21 - PPX9 19.0.0.14
Old 24th May 2011, 02:16 PM   #25
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
No, last time I tried, I could edit the post title but not the thread title.

Sometimes, it is possible to edit the thread title immediately after first posting the thread and before anyone replies.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 24th May 2011, 02:18 PM   #26
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
No, last time I tried, I could edit the post title but not the thread title.

Sometimes, it is possible to edit the thread title immediately after first posting the thread and before anyone replies.
This is my experience, too, and it's a bit of a hindrance sometimes.

Old 24th May 2011, 02:26 PM   #27
Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Limited

Patrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky me then ....

I often change other peoples thread titles without asking, particularly when they look like this.

"Web Plus 5 not working"

and make it

"WebPlus X5 not working"

I do not bother editing the post title of any replies, but the thread title bothers me! Oh the joys of admin privileges...

Last edited by AlfredP; 24th May 2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 24th May 2011, 02:32 PM   #28
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
I often change other peoples thread titles without asking, particularly when they look like this.

"Web Plus 5 not working"

and make it

"WebPlus X5 not working"
Surely, correct the typo:

"Web Plus 5 not working"

.... to

"Web Plus X5 now working"

Oh, the power.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 24th May 2011, 02:33 PM   #29
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
Surely, correct the typo:

"Web Plus 5 not working"

.... to

"Web Plus X5 now working"

Oh, the power.
WebPlus X5 not working
Old 24th May 2011, 08:44 PM   #30
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Lucky me then ....

"Web Plus 5 not working"

and make it

"WebPlus X5 not working"
Likewise, I often change other people's thread titles without asking — particularly when they include a simple typo or two, but also if they consist of a vague description such as "Newbie needs help" and the post itself makes it clear that the help required is something like "Trying to add a code snippet".

Quote:
I do not bother editing the post title of any replies, but the thread title bothers me!
Same here. When I copied an existing thread title on the DaisyTrail forums and edited it to create a related thread, I failed to notice that "CraftArtist" had been typed as "Craft Artist" and I was very disappointed to find that I couldn't even edit the title of my own thread, let alone the other one.

Quote:
Oh the joys of admin privilages...
Ditto for mod privileges! As indicated above, it's nice to be able to correct simple typos — and spelling errors too....

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 24th May 2011, 08:55 PM   #31
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
This is my experience, too, and it's a bit of a hindrance sometimes.]
I found that I could only edit the post in quick edit mode, but once I went to advanced mode, I could also edit the thread title.

Edit: That edits the title of the first post at the top of the thread only, but not the thread title in the forum index.

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 24th May 2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 24th May 2011, 09:26 PM   #32
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
I found that I could only edit the post in quick edit mode, but once I went to advanced mode, I could also edit the thread title.
If you 'Go Advanced' you can edit the post title, but editing the post title does not affect the thread title (even if the post in question is the original post to the thread).

Alfred
Old 24th May 2011, 09:53 PM   #33
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:

Edit: That edits the title of the first post at the top of the thread only, but not the thread title in the forum index.
Yes, and the inability to edit the thread title is the problem.

Old 27th November 2011, 01:12 PM   #34
davej56

davej56 is on a distinguished road

Other options for reducing forum traffic in general might help. The better the help files become, the fewer who would need to ask questions via forum. And perhaps at question as well, the apparent need for better testing of X5 might be a lesson for X6. What is the real problem?

My two cents.

Dave
Old 25th April 2012, 04:44 AM   #35
teachtopia

teachtopia is on a distinguished road

While I understand the idea of legacy support, I do think that X5 should be the default and if a user is using otherwise they should then specify.
and about 50 more!!
Old 25th April 2012, 06:16 AM   #36
Ali
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachtopia View Post
While I understand the idea of legacy support, I do think that X5 should be the default and if a user is using otherwise they should then specify.
This wouldn't work as well as what we have now. If X5 were the default, you could have several answers to a post suggesting ways to achieve what the OP is asking for before the realisation that the OP is working in a different version that can't do what has been suggested. As it stands now, if the OP forgets to specify a version, it's the first question asked. Much more efficient.

Old 26th April 2012, 10:03 AM   #37
dsirusj

dsirusj is on a distinguished road

Im glad this has been posted again, -
We are got help here, give help back and of late the posts requests are like random phone texts. Please read the posting guidelines guys, some of whom are unaware it's understandable thats okay but lets have some structure in posts etc ...
Old 26th April 2012, 01:41 PM   #38
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsirusj View Post
Im glad this has been posted again, -
We are got help here, give help back and of late the posts requests are like random phone texts. Please read the posting guidelines guys, some of whom are unaware it's understandable thats okay but lets have some structure in posts etc ...
Great post, dsirusj! I just hope the irony isn't lost on too many of our fellow forum members....

Alfred
Old 4th May 2012, 09:26 AM   #39
4d00

4d00 is on a distinguished road

It's quite simple for the people out there failing to follow the basics. If those that help have trouble understanding your problem, you won't get much help.