Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

Notices

ImpactPlus / 3DPlus ImpactPlus / 3DPlus

Old 16th March 2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Zigmeister

Zigmeister is on a distinguished road
Default The best

Come on Serif. I only joined the forum to try and wake you up.
I have used Impact Plus on my laptop when abroad and people have been amazed at what this program can do- easily and quickly.
The power of this software is unmatched in it's handling of object creation, and yet you ignore it.
I will, eventually, be forced to use an inferior (short of paying out thousands for BBC 3D software) program.
I'm getting pretty close to that, so I'd like to take one chance to get your programmers to test IP 5 against any of the best of the others.
3D is coming with films and tvs in your living room. Kids - and they are later to become your buying public - will start becoming interested in creating their own 3D.

Get it tested, discover what you can do to make it Vista and Windows 7 (which I bought the Professional version of solely in the - vain - hope of Virtual XP allowing me to use it on my laptop again) powerful.
The only reason it doesn't work is because it can't access the 3D graphics engine in the virtual environment.

Bring out "Impact Power X1" and get into the 3D race that'll be coming soon!

Zigmeister
Old 16th March 2011, 07:36 PM   #2
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: The best

Hi and vvelcome to the Serif forums.

For those unfamiliar vvith ImpactPlus, go here

http://cgi.ebay.com/Serif-ImpactPlus...a#ht_500wt_737
Old 16th March 2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Zigmeister

Here's an example (if it uploads ok), 'Light Table'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Light table.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	20792  
Old 16th March 2011, 11:19 PM   #4
Zigmeister

Here are some images I sent to NASA. There is no definite indication that they will use this idea, as yet, but they emailed back that they liked the concept.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deployed camera.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	20799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deploy camera tech1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	20804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stored camera.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	20806  
Old 18th March 2011, 07:13 PM   #5
Andy H

Andy H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigmeister View Post
Come on Serif. .

Bring out "Impact Power X1" and get into the 3D race that'll be coming soon!
One can only dream, I did really like IP, but Serif decided to scrap it, my thought - (and this is only my opinion - definitely not fact) is that either the programmer may have left and no one else wanted to take up the program, or it could be that serif leased the program for a third party and it just got too expensive.

Either way IP is dead.

may it rest in peace (Corel did the same thing with their 3D offering back in corel draw eight I think)

Andy
Old 18th March 2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
Either way IP is dead.
IP 5 never had a patch or update in the four years of its existence.

There were only ever a few posts in the IP forum. It seemed to me that there were more posts after IP 5 was discontinued than there were during the life of the product.

Maybe IP 5 was "ahead of its time"?

I have... had IP 5. I never found a use for it (a need for it to fulfill), or figured out how to use it.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 18th March 2011, 08:23 PM   #7
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
IP 5 never had a patch or update in the four years of its existence.

There were only ever a few posts in the IP forum. It seemed to me that there were more posts after IP 5 was discontinued than there were during the life of the product.

Maybe IP 5 was "ahead of its time"?

I have... had IP 5. I never found a use for it (a need for it to fulfill), or figured out how to use it.

And, I have it's redecssor, 3DPlus, vvhich I play vvith from time to time IF I remember to install it on the computer du jour. LOL.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:31 PM   #8
mjh
The one and only mjh

HOT NEVVS!

I just ordered ImpactPlus by phone from Serif. It comes vvith 3-D glasses.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:54 AM   #9
Fergus

Fergus is on a distinguished road

mjh,

Fascinating...

What did you pay?

And how do you find it as a 3D modeller and text titler?

How was it re animation?

Fergus
Old 18th November 2011, 09:48 PM   #10
chrsbrss

chrsbrss is infamous around these parts

Wrote to Serif about bringing back IP 5. The letter stated that due to Windows Vista and 7 that the program would need to be compleatly rewritten and there are currently no plans to 'develop the software further.'

It's unfortonate, because I believe that this program is probably one of the greatest of its types out there.

Just a suggestion, but perhaps if Serif would upgrade the program, and perhaps sell it to grade schools or librarys at a discounted rate, and encourage some 'training' for the software, then the return would be staggering.

Well Serif, I hope you change your mind.
Old 18th November 2011, 10:42 PM   #11
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsbrss View Post
Wrote to Serif about bringing back IP 5. The letter stated that due to Windows Vista and 7 that the program would need to be compleatly rewritten and there are currently no plans to 'develop the software further.'

It's unfortonate, because I believe that this program is probably one of the greatest of its types out there.

Just a suggestion, but perhaps if Serif would upgrade the program, and perhaps sell it to grade schools or librarys at a discounted rate, and encourage some 'training' for the software, then the return would be staggering.

Well Serif, I hope you change your mind.
I have IP installed on my Win7 64 bit machine. Mind you, I don't take it for much of a run.
Old 1st March 2012, 02:16 AM   #12
chrsbrss

chrsbrss is infamous around these parts

It's okay on Windows 7, but if you get to much detail on one of your 'items' or if you have too many items in your screen, when you go to 'animate it' or render it, the program tends to crash and shut down. I attempted to do several pine trees for a Christmas animation with it, and it crashed on me, so I did one tree with some items on it and it kept crashing. From what I've been told, I need to install it on Windows XP for it to be able to do that kind of detail.
Old 1st March 2012, 06:37 AM   #13
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsbrss View Post
It's okay on Windows 7, but if you get to much detail on one of your 'items' or if you have too many items in your screen, when you go to 'animate it' or render it, the program tends to crash and shut down. I attempted to do several pine trees for a Christmas animation with it, and it crashed on me, so I did one tree with some items on it and it kept crashing. From what I've been told, I need to install it on Windows XP for it to be able to do that kind of detail.
That's a shame. I'm only on Win7 because my XP computer died and couldn't be resuscitated. Mind you I am used to Win7 now and it does have some good features but an awful lot of the good things that worked on XP would no longer work on Win7 - like my scanner, which was old but working perfectly!

When IP first came out, I really enjoyed playing round with it but just don't have time these days. It is fun and can do some very interesting things. As you said earlier, it could be used for educational projects. The government is trying to get everyone to program these days and there is a new raspberry pi out!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17192823