Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 15th March 2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold
Default "The handle is invalid" error when saving publication

Dear forum users,

Some customers have recently reported a problem that occurs when saving their publication. The cause has been found and it is being investigated by our development team at the moment to try to find the best permanent fix.

In the meantime, a Knowledge Base article has been created to advise customers how to work around the error message. Should you see any users posting with the "The handle is invalid" error message, please point them towards this forum thread and/or this article:
http://support.serif.com/KB/a320/tro...ving-file.aspx

Thank you for your patience in this matter, we hope to have a fix available as soon as possible.
Old 15th March 2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Bill Schuhle

Bill Schuhle has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: "The handle is invalid" error when saving publication

That's great, Sarah, thank you (and the rest of the team working on the problem).

Desktop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 3GHz Pentium 4, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 4GB ReadyBoost
Laptop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 1.9GHz Athalon X2 QL-60, 3GB RAM, 128GB SSD
Old 3rd April 2011, 07:06 AM   #3
michael8000

michael8000 is on a distinguished road

thank you
Old 7th April 2011, 09:42 PM   #4
nigdowser

nigdowser is on a distinguished road

Followed the fixes...still won't save. can't find any other program accessing the file.

However.... I closed the file without saving then tried to re-open it. It appears it had renamed itself by adding .backup.~0E32 to the filename. When I opened that one up, all my edits, which I thought were lost, were saved. The original file (without .backup.~0e32) was no longer there.

When I opened the file up, it had lost its name and was simply Publication1, allowing me to save it anywhere.

Last edited by nigdowser; 7th April 2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Extra details added
Old 8th April 2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Andrew_berridge

Andrew_berridge is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problem - so hope the fix is coming soon
Old 10th April 2011, 12:25 AM   #6
jugfork

jugfork is on a distinguished road

I just had this happen to me. First time I can remember having the problem. Sooo, I read the documentation, then I renamed the file, the error repeated. Tried another rename... completely different, same error. Changed the directory, same error. Tried to save on a thumb drive... same error. Checked for another program reading the file... nothing was working! Used Task Manager and checked the virus program (Microsoft Security Essentials).
I finally printed the document to a PDF file to save the changes. Renamed and reloaded the backup (glad I had it making the backup) file and all was well, but without the PDF, I would have lost the changes I made.
Old 14th April 2011, 09:32 AM   #7
irfanahmed91

irfanahmed91 is on a distinguished road

I'm having this problem when using PagePlus X4 but with PagePlus 11 I am not getting this problem?
Old 27th April 2011, 12:28 PM   #8
teamhendy

teamhendy is on a distinguished road

I had this too, couldn't save or save as. Followed the advice from similar reported problems in the WebPlus forum: open file manager, open the temporary file created, which overwrites the file that cannot be saved, that file can then be saved under a different name. The temporary file and the file that cannot be saved always seem to be current in terms of the number changes saved. Annoying though...I look forward to a fix.
Old 27th April 2011, 10:49 PM   #9
emacie

emacie is on a distinguished road

This is really upsetting as it has happened to me and I have been working for weeks on this chapter! It looks like they have been working on it for awhile. I sure hope it's resolved soon. I'm going to try and add it to another section of my book and hope it works.
Old 1st August 2011, 05:45 AM   #10
druseth

druseth is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: "The handle is invalid" error when saving publication

I run into this problem all the time. I've followed the troubleshooting guide, but still have the "handle is invalid" error when trying to save a file. It seems that when I copy and paste an object from one ppp project to another (which I do a lot)and then try to save it, it gives me the problem. I disabled my antivirus and file backup program, deleted backup files....all to no avail.

I'm running a Win7 machine with an AMD dual-core 1.5 GHz,3 gigs of RAM, 32-bit. I'm using PagePlus X5, all patches and updates are up-to-date.

I use X5 and in general, really enjoy using it--it meets my needs and has good value. But this is a pretty ridiculous error! If you can't save your files, then it renders the program virtually useless. So sad I've got several friends and coworkers to purchase Serif products, but that may have to stop if we can't even save our files.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 1st August 2011, 05:04 PM   #11
emacie

druseth,
I agree. I've completely lost faith in Page Plus because of this. Months of hard work down the drain. I tried the trial version of Adobe InDeisgn, but the learning curve is over the top. I've just lost my desire to finish my book.
The good thing about Serif is this forum. The people are so helpful.
I hope Serif gets it's act together. I would also like to see an eBook/digital book program like Adobe has for the Ipods and Kindle, etc., but I'm not sure I would trust using it either since they haven't been able to solve this 'invalid handle' problem for years.
Old 1st August 2011, 06:38 PM   #12
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacie View Post
...they haven't been able to solve this 'invalid handle' problem for years.
Here's an interesting thought.

This error/failure... didn't seem to occur in "older" versions of PagePlus. Just in the "newer" PP X5 and PP X4 and maybe PP X3 (I don't recall).

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 1st August 2011, 07:37 PM   #13
emacie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
Here's an interesting thought.

This error/failure... didn't seem to occur in "older" versions of PagePlus. Just in the "newer" PP X5 and PP X4 and maybe PP X3 (I don't recall).
Humm that is interesting I have older versions, but they won't recognize the work I did in PPX4... I'll just wait until they figure it out...maybe, but I sure won't buy any new versions or recommend them until they do.
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:07 AM   #14
druseth

I never had the problem with X4 or the free versions. But I used X5 for quite a while before I started having this problem.

Every time the problem comes up, I have a new theory for why it's doing it. Right now it *seems* like it could be connected to editing master pages. But regardless, it's related to missing resources somehow. Sometimes, I can't even copy images from the page I'm working on that has been rendered unsaveable--it pops up with an error message. Usually, I can export it as a PDF, restart the program, and import the PDF....it's a pain, but better than nothing.

However, sometimes that won't even work. If the autosave feature kicks in, I can pretty much count on some missing images in the "unsaved detected work." Any thoughts anyone?

The only thing that I can think of having done recently is using an online backup program. But I've disabled it--and either way, programs that you pay for should work! Looking forward to hearing from the forum and Serif about fixes.
Old 5th August 2011, 09:38 AM   #15
U. Surname

U. Surname is on a distinguished road

It isn't Serif's fault!
Another program I have that uses autosave also crashes (without a warning message about "Invalid Handle") and the same symptom shows:
The File you were working on and its backup apparently disappear!

However, if you Search using today's date (default) on When Modified, the files can be found!

The solution for other programs is to turn off Autosave, or turn off the Virus background check.
Old 5th August 2011, 10:21 AM   #16
balham

balham is on a distinguished road

I too have had this problem which has lost me work on a number of occasions now. As far as I'm concerned, this makes this software entirely useless.

However, I have tracked down the conflict on my machine - I use an online backup/synching system called SugarSync - if I turn this off, the problem goes away. I hope this info may help Serif with solving this problem. I will stress that I don't get conflicts between SugarSync and any other software I use.

I was hoping that this issue would have been fixed in the recent update.
Old 9th August 2011, 03:10 AM   #17
druseth

Quote:
Originally Posted by U. Surname View Post
It isn't Serif's fault!
Another program I have that uses autosave also crashes (without a warning message about "Invalid Handle") and the same symptom shows:
The File you were working on and its backup apparently disappear!

However, if you Search using today's date (default) on When Modified, the files can be found!

The solution for other programs is to turn off Autosave, or turn off the Virus background check.
Can you give more details about how you search? Do you search for the file you saved, and add today's date? Is this a general Windows search? What directory is the file located in?

Not to be hard on Serif--but there should be compatibility written into the program. I don't have any backup software on my current system (for the precise reason that I didn't want it to mess with PagePlus), though I still use MS Security Essentials. It's one thing to not backup your files online in order to work around a bug in a program you paid for...it's another thing to turn off your antivirus.

Just because other programs have the same sort of unfortunate programming doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed

Again, I use PagePlus every day to design curriculum and teaching materials for a non-profit TESOL school. I like the program, and thankful that my non-profit budget can afford it. But I hope they choose to fix this bug. In the meantime, I'm eager to hear of any workarounds you have. Thanks!
Old 11th August 2011, 08:48 AM   #18
U. Surname

U. Surname is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by druseth View Post
Can you give more details about how you search? Do you search for the file you saved, and add today's date? Is this a general Windows search? What directory is the file located in?
The need for this question became very evident when I went back through the process and did not find it so easy!

This is the Windows XP procedure:

Start / Search

Do NOT tick that it is a Document you are searching for : tick All Files and Folders
You now get asked a slightly different set of questions. Search on criteria When was it modified (tick)

On the new sub-window, tick Specify Dates
Today's date will automatically fill-in.

Search.

It may be that you are led to the same Temp folder that another reader found. (I did not check, I was just so glad to click on it and retrieve the file ).

Hope yours is still there!

Last edited by U. Surname; 11th August 2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Quote not formatted correctly
Old 11th August 2011, 09:05 AM   #19
Art

Art is a jewel in the roughArt is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by balham View Post
I too have had this problem which has lost me work on a number of occasions now. As far as I'm concerned, this makes this software entirely useless.

However, I have tracked down the conflict on my machine - I use an online backup/synching system called SugarSync - if I turn this off, the problem goes away. I hope this info may help Serif with solving this problem. I will stress that I don't get conflicts between SugarSync and any other software I use.

I was hoping that this issue would have been fixed in the recent update.
I think you're asking the wrong question in the wrong place. Just do a Google search on..: SugarSync Problems

Art

** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem **
Old 14th October 2011, 07:49 PM   #20
deemat

deemat is on a distinguished road

I've just had the same issue with a longish document in PagePlus X5. None of the workarounds have succeeded, and I've lost a huge amount of material. In the past I've had similar problems with WebPlus. While the programs are excellent in other respects, there is clearly some major flaw here that means I won't be using Serif programs in the future - and will be inclined to warn others off them.