Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > FontManager

Notices

FontManager Typeface Organisation Software

Old 7th February 2011, 03:33 AM   #1
Bill Schuhle

Bill Schuhle has a spectacular aura about
Default FMX3 & PPX5?

I have both FontManager X3 and PagePlus X5 installed on my machine and I can launch FM from the little icon at the bottom of the font Studio tab. However, when opening documents that require font substitution, the "Use Font Manager" option is grayed out and I've not found in any of the Help files how to go about activating it (if in fact that is a manual process).

Desktop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 3GHz Pentium 4, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 4GB ReadyBoost
Laptop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 1.9GHz Athalon X2 QL-60, 3GB RAM, 128GB SSD
Old 8th February 2011, 02:18 AM   #2
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: FMX3 & PPX5?

I believe it is entirely automatic. If you see that dialogue, I think FM is already working.

Geoff
Old 8th February 2011, 07:07 AM   #3
Bill Schuhle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Blanthorn View Post
I believe it is entirely automatic. If you see that dialogue, I think FM is already working.

Geoff
Thanks, Geoff. I'm revisiting the FM Help files and finding that it should be automatic, though it does say that if the "Use Font Manager" option is grayed out, it means FM isn't installed which it definitely *is*.

Desktop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 3GHz Pentium 4, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 4GB ReadyBoost
Old 8th February 2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Schuhle View Post
Thanks, Geoff. I'm revisiting the FM Help files and finding that it should be automatic, though it does say that if the "Use Font Manager" option is grayed out, it means FM isn't installed which it definitely *is*.
Have you reinstalled FM since X5 was installed? My guess is that it needs X5 there beforehand so that registry entries can be written.

Old 8th February 2011, 10:17 PM   #5
Bill Schuhle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Have you reinstalled FM since X5 was installed? My guess is that it needs X5 there beforehand so that registry entries can be written.
Hi, Ali -- I had not done that, so uninstalled FM and re-installed, but still get the grayed-out "Use Font Manager" option. Will let you know if I come up with anything.

Old 8th February 2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Hi, Ali -- I had not done that, so uninstalled FM and re-installed, but still get the grayed-out "Use Font Manager" option. Will let you know if I come up with anything.
Oh ... Well, it was just a thought ... Sorry it didn't work out. Has to be related to the registry, though, don't you think? Maybe cleaning the registry of all traces of FM and starting again?

Old 8th February 2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Bill Schuhle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Oh ... Well, it was just a thought ... Sorry it didn't work out. Has to be related to the registry, though, don't you think? Maybe cleaning the registry of all traces of FM and starting again?
I did uninstall FM using Revo Uninstaller and it found and removed a *bunch* of leftover stuff from the registry (I'm not a "registry explorer" type myself, so wouldn't go looking for more). Like I say, will let you know if I get it sussed. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Old 8th February 2011, 11:10 PM   #8
Ali
Guru

Quote:
I did uninstall FM using Revo Uninstaller and it found and removed a *bunch* of leftover stuff from the registry (I'm not a "registry explorer" type myself, so wouldn't go looking for more). Like I say, will let you know if I get it sussed. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Yes, do let us know, Bill. I don't go down the registry cleaner route unless I am really desperate, I'll be honest!

Old 9th February 2011, 12:26 PM   #9
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

Hi Bill,

The "Use FontManager" option will only be enabled if the fonts that are missing were uninstalled by FontManager in the first place. If you uninstalled them manually, FM doesn't know where to find and reinstall them.

I hope that helps
Old 9th February 2011, 05:13 PM   #10
Bill Schuhle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
Hi Bill,

The "Use FontManager" option will only be enabled if the fonts that are missing were uninstalled by FontManager in the first place. If you uninstalled them manually, FM doesn't know where to find and reinstall them.

I hope that helps
Sarah,

Wow, no kidding? That seems pretty restricting. If you wanted FM to have access to all the fonts on your computer, you'd have to install them all using FM then uninstall them all? Yikes! FM doesn't have a function where it searches for all font on your system so it then knows where they are? I ran the "Find Fonts" function, but apparently that doesn't translate into FM "knowing" where they all are?

Old 9th February 2011, 07:24 PM   #11
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
FM doesn't have a function where it searches for all font on your system so it then knows where they are?
Bill,

That could take a very long time with the amount of hard disk space typically found on a modern PC! However, I would have thought it should be relatively easy to implement a means of telling FM to look in a particular folder or set of folders.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 10th February 2011, 12:19 PM   #12
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

I'm afraid that is currently the case, yes. You can install the fonts manually, but you then need to use FM to uninstall them so that it has them registered as available to reinstall on-demand.
Old 10th February 2011, 02:44 PM   #13
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
I'm afraid that is currently the case, yes. You can install the fonts manually, but you then need to use FM to uninstall them so that it has them registered as available to reinstall on-demand.
I wouldn't normally expect to be happy to tell you that you're mistaken, Sarah, but in this case I am! I have a bunch (Technical Term™ ) of fonts which are not installed, and FMX2 was able to find them after I added them to a 'Group'.

BTW, the wording on the Missing Fonts dialog in PP could do with a little tidying up: the status of these fonts is listed as "Located" but the option offered is to use FM to "find and install" them. They've already been found/located, so it should simply ask whether you want FM to "install the located fonts".

Alfred
Old 10th February 2011, 02:47 PM   #14
Sarah W
Expert

It's been quite a while since I've used Font Manager in any great depth, so I don't mind! That sounds right, adding them to a group would also mean that FM can locate them for install.

I'll mention the wording to the developers and see if they'll tweak it for next time.
Old 10th February 2011, 11:27 PM   #15
trevordl

trevordl is on a distinguished road

is there any news of an upgrade for the fontmanager, the original proxima software has been updated, will there be any new version from serif or anything else in the pipeline?
Old 11th February 2011, 12:31 AM   #16
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordl View Post
is there any news of an upgrade for the fontmanager, the original proxima software has been updated, will there be any new version from serif or anything else in the pipeline?
Due to Serif's Font Manager seemingly no longer being listed in Serif's web site, I'd speculate that Serif's version has been discontinued, and if so, the likelihood of any updates would be rather low.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 12th February 2011, 05:33 AM   #17
Bill Schuhle

Quote:
That sounds right, adding them to a group would also mean that FM can locate them for install.
I have done the following:

1) Created a full set of FontManager groups which encompass all the fonts on my machine that I would ever want to use in PagePlus.
2) Used The Font Thing to install two Serif fonts then created a PPX5 document which incorporated those two fonts.
3) Used The Font Thing to uninstall the two fonts.
4) Re-opened the test document which, on opening, still showed the "Use Font Manager" option as grayed out and PP's "search" for the two fonts did not find them.
5) I then used FM to install and uninstall the two fonts, but on re-opening the document had the same result as in 4) above.

In short, I've tried both Sarah's and Alfred's techniques for "cluing FM in on" the location of the two fonts in question, but to no avail. Any further suggestions would be welcome.

Old 15th March 2012, 09:50 PM   #18
HLS Design

HLS Design is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: FMX3 & PPX5?

Quote:
It's been quite a while since I've used Font Manager in any great depth, so I don't mind! That sounds right, adding them to a group would also mean that FM can locate them for install.

I'll mention the wording to the developers and see if they'll tweak it for next time.
Sarah -

I know this is an older post, and the reply's afterwards make it sound as if this project is/will be abandoned, however...

Could you have the developers think about adding a 'font creation' utility ( I added this to the product suggestions section - but thought I'd add it here too ).

Nothing fancy, just the ability to scan, trace and save in either .otf or .ttf would be great !

Thanks,

Ron
Old 15th March 2012, 10:41 PM   #19
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS Design View Post
Nothing fancy, just the ability to scan, trace and save in either .otf or .ttf would be great !
Something like Scanahand High-Logic, perhaps?

Alfred
Old 15th March 2012, 11:01 PM   #20
HLS Design

HLS Design is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Something like Scanahand High-Logic, perhaps?

Alfred
Alfred -

Yes, just like that or FontCreator 6.5 ( also by High-Logic ), but I was hoping for a simple utility that could be developed and included in either DrawPlus or FontManager, so I can stick with the Serif Brand.

I've looked at High-Logic's offerings, along with CR8software.net ( <- this company has a demo available from cnet, but their website does not seem to be working, which is not a good sign from a potential buyer's perspective ).

While on this topic, does anyone have any experience with FontForge ?

Thanks,

Ron