Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > FontManager

Notices

FontManager Typeface Organisation Software

Old 30th January 2011, 08:19 PM   #1
TickleOnTheTum

TickleOnTheTum is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is Font Manager X3 still available?

I've looked on the Serif site and can't see it anywhere! I already have PagePlus X4, WebPlus X4, DrawPlus X4 and PhotoPlus X4, will be getting MoviePlus X5 next month.

I have ammassed loads (5000+) fonts and really need a way to organise them and like the way Serif softwate works, and the fact that FMX3 integrates with the other Serif Apps.
Old 30th January 2011, 08:29 PM   #2
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Is Font Manager X3 still available?

Hi

I don't see it either. Why not contact Serif sales?
Old 30th January 2011, 08:37 PM   #3
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleOnTheTum View Post
I've looked on the Serif site and can't see it anywhere! I already have PagePlus X4, WebPlus X4, DrawPlus X4 and PhotoPlus X4, will be getting MoviePlus X5 next month.

I have ammassed loads (5000+) fonts and really need a way to organise them and like the way Serif softwate works, and the fact that FMX3 integrates with the other Serif Apps.
I don't know whether FontManager integrates with any Serif apps other than PagePlus and WebPlus.

Just as an FYI, some of us had problems with FMX3 and have consequently reverted to FMX2. Depending on your needs, you may find that the freeware utility AMP Font Viewer has all the functionality you're looking for.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 30th January 2011, 08:39 PM   #4
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Take a look at AMP Font Viewer (Donationware) or MainType (My review is a bit out of date, as version 3.0 is the current version, and version 4.0 is probably not far away by now).
Old 30th January 2011, 08:49 PM   #5
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Depending on your needs, you may find that the freeware utility AMP Font Viewer has all the functionality you're looking for.
Yup.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 30th January 2011, 11:22 PM   #6
TickleOnTheTum

Thanks for the info. I wonder if it's gone for good or just being updated? I did a search in Google and all I got were a lot of links to warez sites. Seems to be a very popular program with them!

I've always wondered why, when companies abandon a program they don't just release it for free download? They could stipulate that there is no support and they would get lots of kudos from people. I mean of course when they are not planning on releasing a similar product...
Old 30th January 2011, 11:26 PM   #7
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
I've always wondered why, when companies abandon a program they don't just release it for free download?
Often, the program contains code from other sources, and that code could be controlled by a license that limits redistribution, so the company might be in violation of the license if they gave the software away.

Old 30th January 2011, 11:29 PM   #8
TickleOnTheTum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
Often, the program contains code from other sources, and that code could be controlled by a license that limits redistribution, so the company might be in violation of the license if they gave the software away.
Fair enough, shame though.
Old 30th January 2011, 11:43 PM   #9
Jim B.
Master

Quote:

Yeah, after looking through the Serif site, it does seem as though Font Manager is no more. Gone. Ended. *poof* history.

Some folks have indicated that they thought Serif's FontMaster was a modified version of Proxima Software's FontExpert.

Old 31st January 2011, 06:49 AM   #10
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yeah, after looking through the Serif site, it does seem as though Font Manager is no more. Gone. Ended. *poof* history.
But it is mentioned in the PPX5 User Guide on p130.

Geoff
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:22 AM   #11
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Some folks have indicated that they thought Serif's FontMaster was a modified version of Proxima Software's FontExpert.
That's more than just a "thought", Jim.

Alfred
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FM2_Proxima.png
Views:	173
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	19064  
Old 2nd February 2011, 02:21 AM   #12
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
That's more than just a "thought", Jim.
Evidence!

Well, I guess that just about wraps up this case.

Old 4th February 2011, 06:32 AM   #13
Bill Schuhle

Bill Schuhle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
As I think Alfred pointed out some time ago, FontManager is FontExpert tweaked to interface with some Serif titles, so this would definitely be the case here.

Desktop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 3GHz Pentium 4, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 4GB ReadyBoost
Laptop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 1.9GHz Athalon X2 QL-60, 3GB RAM, 128GB SSD
Old 4th February 2011, 07:02 PM   #14
leepapa

leepapa is on a distinguished road

I bought the first 2 versions of font manager and never used them because I could not figure out how to use them. Is there a simple way to install into Page Plus X4?
Thank you
Lee
Old 4th February 2011, 07:15 PM   #15
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepapa View Post
I bought the first 2 versions of font manager and never used them because I could not figure out how to use them. Is there a simple way to install into Page Plus X4?
I believe that it should be as easy as install PagePlus, then install FontManager, and done.

Wait. Does PagePlus X4 support FontManager? Does PagePlus B5 support FontManager? Or vice versa?

Old 4th February 2011, 08:15 PM   #16
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
Wait. Does PagePlus X4 support FontManager? Does PagePlus B5 support FontManager? Or vice versa?
PagePlus X4 and X5 both support FontManager. Or vice versa. I'm not so sure about PagePlus B5.

Alfred
Old 4th February 2011, 08:37 PM   #17
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
PagePlus X4 and X5 both support FontManager. Or vice versa. I'm not so sure about PagePlus B5.
Aliens! That's what it is. Aliens!

It's them dang blasted aliens in their UFO thing, floatin over Is-Real whut changed up my typin from X5 to B5!

Yup. Aliens.

Old 23rd February 2011, 04:19 PM   #18
Patrick Marks

Patrick Marks is on a distinguished road

Oh, come on! When did you last come across an alien who's fingers could miss-hit the X for a B??

Seriously I bought FM2 (and later, FM3) after enquiring of Serif whether it would work across a home network to save us installing all fonts on both our computers as we both produce newsletters/magazines with PP(n). They said it would, but after struggling for ages someone at Serif finally admitted it would not. I was not best pleased.

I, too, can not work out what the advantage of using FM really is? I must be missing something somewhere. The booklet feels as if it was written by an expert who is unable to see things from the novice's point of view. I gave up trying to fathom it out as life is too short.

Patrick.
Old 24th February 2011, 02:56 AM   #19
Jim B.
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Marks View Post
I, too, can not work out what the advantage of using FM really is?
The only advantage I've heard of is that FM "integrates" into (some versions of) some of Serif's software, so you can manage fonts while still working in the Serif application. I have no idea exactly how FM integrates, as I hadn't purchased it.

Old 24th February 2011, 07:22 AM   #20
Bill Schuhle

Bill Schuhle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The only advantage I've heard of is that FM "integrates" into (some versions of) some of Serif's software, so you can manage fonts while still working in the Serif application. I have no idea exactly how FM integrates, as I hadn't purchased it.
At the minimum level, when FM is installed, it is accessible from within PagePlus via an icon at the bottom of the Fonts tab (somewhat like clicking "Open in Photo Plus" on the Context tool bar when an image is selected).

The purported really cool integration involves FM automatically finding and activating fonts that are missing when, in PP, one is opening a PP document or PDF file. These fonts are then supposedly de-activated at the close of the current PP session.

Problem is, the really cool function isn't working for me and nobody on the forums, including Sarah, has been able to suggest anything that has brought this "synergy" alive .

Desktop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 3GHz Pentium 4, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 4GB ReadyBoost
Laptop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 1.9GHz Athalon X2 QL-60, 3GB RAM, 128GB SSD