Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > PanoramaPlus

Notices

PanoramaPlus Questions about using PanoramaPlus for digital image stitching

Old 31st May 2010, 10:11 AM   #21
en7jos

en7jos is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: "Failed to stitch panorama" error

Dear All,

Thanks for the input! Glad I'm not the only one who thought the Serif tech support was unhelpful and a bit patronising.

The tech support ticket has now been closed by Serif. I asked that these issues be forwarded to the software developers for future fixes (hopefully), but I am pretty sure that they fail to acknowledge that there is a problem.

Bhikkhu - thanks for the headsup on the Micosoft program. I've had a quick play and for me it seems to work quite well and without any of the resolution limitations of the Serif program. Also it was easy to recenter a 360 degree panorama to have the desired focal point at the middle of the image. I've not yet worked how to do this with Serif - any clues anyone? There doesn't seem to be an option to change the desired mid-point of the panorama anywhere.

Regards,
James
Old 31st May 2010, 12:10 PM   #22
kingsgraphic

kingsgraphic is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Failed to stitch panorama" error

[QUOTE=en7jos;475214]Dear All,

Thanks for the input! Glad I'm not the only one who thought the Serif tech support was unhelpful and a bit patronising.

The tech support ticket has now been closed by Serif. I asked that these issues be forwarded to the software developers for future fixes (hopefully), but I am pretty sure that they fail to acknowledge that there is a problem.
<cut here>

Hi James,
yes, I'm closing my 'support ticket' of X4 too! I'm suspicious that maybe this is a delibrate 'downgrading' of this software. Maybe in a couple of months we'll see a release of PP4 'Pro' version that amazingly can handle unlimited full-res images. Anyway I'm back off to PP3 ;} Tony.
Old 2nd June 2010, 08:18 AM   #23
kingsgraphic

For those interested, the free 'lite' version of PanoramaPlus SE, is available at;

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/sof...amaplus-se.asp
Old 28th September 2010, 11:27 AM   #24
davidw99

davidw99 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the help. I have been having the same problem and my final pictures are only about 10 - 12 MB! I will be sending the software back to Serif and finding another program for making panoramas.
Old 28th September 2010, 11:42 AM   #25
kingsgraphic

Thumbs up Re: "Failed to stitch panorama" error

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw99 View Post
Thanks for all of the help. I have been having the same problem and my final pictures are only about 10 - 12 MB! I will be sending the software back to Serif and finding another program for making panoramas.
Hi, I've been using Panorama Maker 5 as well as the original PanoramaPlus 3. It's not cheap but it does a good job and is extremely fast. It will stitch and save to full res in about 15 secs. Tony.
Old 28th September 2010, 06:40 PM   #26
davidw99

davidw99 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to download the trial.
Old 3rd April 2011, 10:21 AM   #27
JohnF

JohnF is on a distinguished road

Having used PanoramaPlusX4 for the first time yesterday to stitch scans of a large document I ran into the 'failed to stitch panorama' error. Having used PhotoPlusX4 on large images I noticed that there is a delay while the application computes the changes I made to the image. Then I tried MS Panorama mentioned elsewhere in this thread and that program takes a few seconds to stitch 7 A4 hi-res scans which PPX4 could not do. This tells me that the coding is poorly done and should be seriously looked at. The same applies to PhotoPlusX4.
My PC is an Intel Core i3 2.9 GHz and 4GB RAM so its no slouch.
John
Old 19th April 2011, 12:11 PM   #28
irm

irm is on a distinguished road

Hi folks,
my 2 cents worth.
First time user.
I have a number of series of (jpeg and raw) photos I wish to make into panoramas which are all around the 5000 x 3000 pixel and between 10 and 20 mb.

The tech person that answered the who answered is obviously not a photographer, let alone up with current files sizes produced by even P&S cameras let alone something like a Canon 60D or a Nikon D3000. Wasn't a smart answer.

Using the software this product is based on I have created some big panoramas in mb based on jpegs from a Canon 10D. The software will not run on W7 64 PC, that is why I am using this software.

My PC is a quad core Phenom II 955 with 8gb of ram a couple of terabytes of disk.

Strange, the free version stitched my 13 jpegs, but in lousy quality, good proof of concept, so I bought the full version.
The full version sees my Canon 7D raw files loads them but only in some shade of magenta and then creates a pano, a strange pano in shades of magenta.
So, okay lets try the jpegs, load okay, but can't create a pano, no matching detail in the images. I tried it with 5 jpegs, same answer.

Ian

Last edited by irm; 19th April 2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 24th April 2011, 10:57 PM   #29
irm

irm is on a distinguished road

Went and bought some other panorama software that does the job.
While more expensive it creates big (over 500mb) panoramas or choice of sizes.

Ian
Old 4th May 2011, 09:08 PM   #30
Harrythespida

Harrythespida is on a distinguished road

well I can't see anywhere where it says "NEW THREAD" although it should be at the top and bottom of each topic according to the splurge............Every time I start Panoramaplus Starter Edition it says "one or more Active X controls could not be displayed because either 1) blah blah blah or 2)blah blah blah and then if I ignore all that the programme says it cant stitch the photos as no matching features were found. Now as these 4 piccies are of the sea/beach all overlapped somewhat this just doesn't make sense. Any help appreciated.
Harrythespida
Old 4th May 2011, 09:12 PM   #31
Harrythespida

Harrythespida is on a distinguished road

Have just noticed a line in some one else review that panoramaplus don't work in Windows 7 64bit..................is this correct cos thats what I've got...................
Harry the spida
Old 4th May 2011, 11:48 PM   #32
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrythespida View Post
Have just noticed a line in some one else review that panoramaplus don't work in Windows 7 64bit..................is this correct
Nope, that is not correct.

Read this to see what Serif programs work in which versions of Windows. Be sure to scroll to near the bottom of the page to read the footnotes about Windows 64-bit versions.

PanoPlus X4 is working fine on my Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit system.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.

Last edited by Jim B.; 5th May 2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 5th May 2011, 12:04 AM   #33
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
well I can't see anywhere where it says "NEW THREAD" although it should be at the top and bottom of each topic according to the splurge

Quote:
Every time I start Panoramaplus Starter Edition it says "one or more Active X controls could not be displayed because either 1) blah blah blah or 2)blah blah blah
Knowing what was really said instead of blah blah blah might go a bit farther in helping to solve the problem.

Quote:
and then if I ignore all that the programme says it cant stitch the photos as no matching features were found. Now as these 4 piccies are of the sea/beach all overlapped somewhat this just doesn't make sense. Any help appreciated.
Overlapping should be 30 to 50% for each photo.

Photos of the sea/beach? I'm picturing an expanse of mostly featureless sand and mostly featureless water. Are there any uniquely distinguishable points in your photos for PanoPlus to be able to find matching points in adjacent photos?

PanoPlus Starter Edition also does not have the "Match More/Less" slider control that is in the full PanoPlus. The Starter Edition is fixed at a "typical" setting, which might or might not be adequate for a given set of photos.

Sometimes, I gotta use the More/Less slider to get PanoPlus X4 (full) to properly stitch two or more of my photos together. Otherwise, sometimes PanoPlus leaves out a photo or a photo is rotated 90 or 180 degrees, etc.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.
Old 30th May 2011, 12:45 AM   #34
Galder

Galder is on a distinguished road

I to received the same error message. I am new to the product, and started viewing the support forums to find an answer. I was very surprised to see the response from support.

I would expect the product to stitch the panorama at the full resolution, and I would then use tools like photoshop to resize. I have no idea if this product can perform a good job doing the resize, but I am very confident that photoshop can do a good job.

Glad the cost was only $20. I will likely only use it for the 360's.
Old 30th May 2011, 08:49 AM   #35
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galder View Post
I to received the same error message. I am new to the product, and started viewing the support forums to find an answer. I was very surprised to see the response from support.

I would expect the product to stitch the panorama at the full resolution, and I would then use tools like photoshop to resize. I have no idea if this product can perform a good job doing the resize, but I am very confident that photoshop can do a good job.

Glad the cost was only $20. I will likely only use it for the 360's.
PnP does have a maximum size that it can produce. This maximum size seems to be different on different PCs. On my PC - as far as I remember - the final size can be no larger than about 6000 Pixels on its longest side.

If I set PnP to produce a larger image, it displays this "No matching features" error message. But after such a failure any further attempts to stitch the images at a lower size setting also fail with the same error.

I have to close and re-open PnP to reset the program.

So, to determine the maximum size image that PnP will produce on your PC, start by setting PnP to produce a small image and then gradually increase the size setting.

Note. On my PC, the "optimum size" setting will always fail and will trigger the error message. This size is best just ignored.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 15063, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 30th May 2011, 11:57 AM   #36
Galder

Galder is on a distinguished road

With 6 portriat images that started out at 3456 X 5184 each, I was able to produce an image that was 11079 X 4075. I then tried a panorama with 11 portriat images and was unable to save at 10,000 as the widest side, so I think the number of images is also coming into play. One point of creating a panorama is the large size of the image that includes all the wonderful detail that you will get; by resizing it down to 6,000 X 2167this makes it actually less than one of my images that I get directly out of the camera. Its is not worth the effort to create the Panorama, I will just use a wide angle lens.

Hugin, the free software, was able to produce an image that was 11,421 X 3,701 from the same images. I did notice that the first thing Hugin did was to resize the originals down to 1,067 X 1,600 and then stiched them. I will try the same resize for PanoramaPlus, but for a paid product I expected more. I guess I paid $20 for a product that will create the 360 quicktime views, as I don't know how to do that with Hugin.

Old 30th May 2011, 01:43 PM   #37
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galder View Post
With 6 portriat images that started out at 3456 X 5184 each, I was able to produce an image that was 11079 X 4075. I then tried a panorama with 11 portriat images and was unable to save at 10,000 as the widest side, so I think the number of images is also coming into play. One point of creating a panorama is the large size of the image that includes all the wonderful detail that you will get; by resizing it down to 6,000 X 2167this makes it actually less than one of my images that I get directly out of the camera. Its is not worth the effort to create the Panorama, I will just use a wide angle lens.
People with more powerful PCs report being able to produce larger panoramas using PnP than my PC can manage.

But, the trick is to increase the size gradually until you find you PC's limits; rather than trying to start with a large size and reducing it.

BTW. PnP will also make panoramas from video clips.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 15063, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 30th May 2011, 07:46 PM   #38
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
People with more powerful PCs report being able to produce larger panoramas using PnP than my PC can manage.

But, the trick is to increase the size gradually until you find you PC's limits; rather than trying to start with a large size and reducing it.

BTW. PnP will also make panoramas from video clips.
Richard,

I have also found, with the similar SSS, that it gives up after stitching a certain number of scans. I was stitching some 60 large documents (but only needing 2 scans each), but after successfully doing about 15 or so, SSS could not do any more until it was closed and re-opened.

I guess it continues to hold things in its limited temporary memory until it is closed.

Geoff
Old 30th May 2011, 08:31 PM   #39
RichardS
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Blanthorn View Post
Richard,

I have also found, with the similar SSS, that it gives up after stitching a certain number of scans. I was stitching some 60 large documents (but only needing 2 scans each), but after successfully doing about 15 or so, SSS could not do any more until it was closed and re-opened.

I guess it continues to hold things in its limited temporary memory until it is closed.

Geoff
Thanks. That's worth knowing.... although this PC currently doesn't have PnP or SSS.

It does sound like a cache problem, or perhaps limited space in Windows Temp.
Old 20th June 2011, 01:54 AM   #40
kweejee

kweejee is on a distinguished road

As of version 4.0.1.008, I'm having the same problem in WinXP with about same setup as mentioned by other people in this thread with 4 gigs of ram. I also have the same problem in Ubuntu with Wine at the same resolutions. All notes below are from Windows.

1) When trying out sizes to find the largest possible for exporting, restart between each size to free up memory. I did a 500px height and got the error when I tried 700 next. After restarting I did 700 without a problem.

2) Six pictures at 3264x2448 at a total size of 23.4MB could be resized to 6167x1150 in any of the available formats. After saving, the windows paging file usage was at 1.6GB. Closing the program dropped it to 0.5GB. Just the program running with no images was about 0.6 and with images was 0.7. Trying at a height of 1200 errored out with usage of about 1.5GB and dropped to 1.2GB until I closed the program.

3) When creating a preview at too high a resolution, I get the error message "A panorama cannot be created with these images: no matching features were found." even though it can create it at a lower resolution.

4) PhotoStitch which came free with my Canon camera exports to jpeg at 11930x2097.

5) Hugin in windows always crashed for me. Hugin in Ubuntu exported to tif at 7949x1550.

Last edited by kweejee; 20th June 2011 at 02:33 AM.