Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > PanoramaPlus

Notices

PanoramaPlus Questions about using PanoramaPlus for digital image stitching

Old 16th May 2010, 11:43 AM   #1
en7jos

en7jos is on a distinguished road
Unhappy "Failed to stitch panorama" error

Hi,

Can anyone help with this issue that I'm having with PanoramaPlus X4 (v4.01..008) please? The initial preview (low res) stitch works fine, but then when I go to export the picture and increase the resolution of the output it goes through part of the stitching process and then stops with the following error:

"Failed to stitch panorama at this size, reduce the width and height before trying again."

This happens both if I select the "optimum size" option or if I manually enter a size that is greater than the default. It also does not seem to make any difference if I change the output image type (i.e. bmp or jpg) and it happens with every set of photos I haver tried to stitch.

Any thoughts? This makes the program completely useless as I can only produce the smallest thumbnail panoramas, which kind of defeats the whole point of the program.

I'm using a Dell Studio17 laptop with 4Gb memory and a 2.26GHz chip, so I don't think that's the problem. Also its running Win Vista with no other programs open at the same time.

Thanks, James
Old 16th May 2010, 12:13 PM   #2
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future
Default Re: "Failed to stitch panorama" error

Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post
Hi,

Can anyone help with this issue that I'm having with PanoramaPlus X4 (v4.01..008) please? The initial preview (low res) stitch works fine, but then when I go to export the picture and increase the resolution of the output it goes through part of the stitching process and then stops with the following error:

"Failed to stitch panorama at this size, reduce the width and height before trying again."

This happens both if I select the "optimum size" option or if I manually enter a size that is greater than the default. It also does not seem to make any difference if I change the output image type (i.e. bmp or jpg) and it happens with every set of photos I haver tried to stitch.

Any thoughts? This makes the program completely useless as I can only produce the smallest thumbnail panoramas, which kind of defeats the whole point of the program.

I'm using a Dell Studio17 laptop with 4Gb memory and a 2.26GHz chip, so I don't think that's the problem. Also its running Win Vista with no other programs open at the same time.

Thanks, James
I can't now remember Serif's explanation for that "optimum size" setting... but that size always fails on my PC.

The error message you're seeing actually means that your resolution setting is too high, and that you need to reduce it.

However, once this message has been displayed, PnPx4 then seems to keep failing until it is shut down and re-opened.

I suggest that you re-start PnPx4 and then try again with a smaller size.

Try first with perhaps ~4000 Pixels wide, then perhaps with ~5000 or 6000 Pixels wide.

By experiment, you'll find the maximum size that your PC can handle.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 15063, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 16th May 2010, 05:15 PM   #3
en7jos

Thanks Richard,

You were right! Once the error message has appeared once the program must be completely shutdown and restarted before it will work again. That's a bit of a bad bug for commercial software don't you think?!?

I've tried a panorama width of 6000 and this works fine and I'll do some more experimenting tomorrow. Any idea what the limiting factor is as it doesn't seem to be available memory? The "optimum" setting therefore seems to be a bit pointless.

Thanks again for the tip and if anyone at Serif is reading this - please fix the bug!

James
Old 16th May 2010, 05:41 PM   #4
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Thanks Richard,

You were right! Once the error message has appeared once the program must be completely shutdown and restarted before it will work again. That's a bit of a bad bug for commercial software don't you think?!?

I've tried a panorama width of 6000 and this works fine and I'll do some more experimenting tomorrow. Any idea what the limiting factor is as it doesn't seem to be available memory? The "optimum" setting therefore seems to be a bit pointless.

Thanks again for the tip and if anyone at Serif is reading this - please fix the bug!

James
Hiya James

Welcome to the Serif forums.

This is a user to user forum so I suggest you report the issue you experience to Serif's Tech Support.

http://support.serif.com/Main/frmNew...9-a9ba2efd6738
Old 16th May 2010, 06:04 PM   #5
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
This is a user to user forum so I suggest you report the issue you experience to Serif's Tech Support.

http://support.serif.com/Main/frmNew...9-a9ba2efd6738
Hiya Marilyn,

I'm not sure you want to potentially confuse an already overloaded support system by encouraging James to use that specific 'InstanceID'.

Try this link: http://support.serif.com/Main/frmNewTicket.aspx

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 16th May 2010, 06:04 PM   #6
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Thanks Richard,

James
As far as I remember, PnPx4 has a limit of about 6000 Pixels on my poor old PC. If you're seeing the same limit, it is probably something to do with the software or with Windows, rather than the power of the PC.

Perhaps Serif should add the info to their knowledgebase... once other vital topics have been covered.

PnPx4 is fun for producing panoramas from video clips and from sets of "unplanned" photos.

Here's one from a wobbly video (taken using a still camera dangling from its neck strap):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29920859@N04/4241762894/

As far as I remember, I actually chose the video frames using MvPx3, saved them as images and fed them into PnPx4.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 15063, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 17th May 2010, 05:54 AM   #7
en7jos

Thumbs up Re: "Failed to stitch panorama" error

Thanks Guys.

I've opened a support ticket with Serif as you suggested to tell them about these issues. I'll keep you posted if/when I hear anything...

Cheers, James
Old 20th May 2010, 02:59 PM   #8
en7jos

Red face Re: "Failed to stitch panorama" error

Hi. Just an update from Serif tech support for you:

----------------------------------------------------
Dear James,

Thank you for the files. The first thing that hit me was that the files are huge. They are 4000 x 3000, so they are 12 mega pixel images. When we are stitching 7 photo's of this size together, the resulting image will also be extremely large and memory hungry. In regards to the Optimum Size, the program looks at the source images' dimensions and calculates that with 7 images that are 4000 x 3000, the best size for the Panorama would be 12420 x 2851. Now this is absolutely huge. The average users screen resolution is 1024 x 768, the resolution of a full HD TV is 1920 x 1080, yet we are trying to export an image at 12420 x 2851. This is 6 times the resolution of High Definition. In essence, the program selects a "default" panorama size and exports as this, but when trying to export at 12420 x 2851, I get a problem as well. The program tells you to lower the resolution and when you for this, you will get an exported panorama. I have attached the screenshot produced by the program, which tells you to lower the resolution.

Many thanks,
Martin Spoors
Technical Support
Serif

----------------------------------------------------

I guess this makes sense, but I am not so sure that the 12,420 x 2851 so called "optimum" resolution is that unreasonable. Ok, so it's big but the reason I started looking into these panorama stitching programs was to get some panoramas printed at large scale for my wall.

Anyway, the main problem with the program getting stuck in the error loop at every resolution until it is shutdown and restarted remains. I'll let you know what they say...

Regards, James
Old 20th May 2010, 03:58 PM   #9
RichardS
Master

Quote:
...Anyway, the main problem with the program getting stuck in the error loop at every resolution until it is shutdown and restarted remains. I'll let you know what they say...

Regards, James
Thanks for the update.
Old 21st May 2010, 04:20 PM   #10
en7jos

Red face Re: "Failed to stitch panorama" error

Update from Serif:

Dear Dr Smith,

I accept everything you state here, but I must stress that although the program states the optimum size based on the original image size, there is no guarantee given that this will be an exportable resolution. An image which is 12420 x 2851 is ridiculously large and would the resulting JPEG image be in excess of 50mb at least. In order to display this image in its native resolution, you would need to have 2 HD monitors side by side. I appreciate your comment stating "the "optimum" option is fairly pointless", but feel that in this instance, the option is not relevant, due to the very large source images. In other panoramic scenarios, with different images, the optimum size option may be applicable and work 100%, but for this set of images, the optimum size is too large. Also, if the program has had problems exporting, then the fact the program should be shut down and restarted would infact be necessary to free up the resources for the next stitch. I will raise this with out development team as an improvement, but the issue with the extremely large stitching output may well get rejected due to the size of the export requested.

Many thanks,
Martin
Technical Support

==================================================

Thanks Martin,

I think what you’ve said makes perfect sense. These files would be huge and not really appropriate for 99.9% of users. I don’t have a problem with the fact that there is an upper limit to the maximum export resolution, but it would be nice if as a user we were given some indication as to what this limit actually is! From my experiences so far, it seems to be limited by the program code itself rather than the PC’s memory or processing power (thus the same for all users?). Therefore surely someone knows what this limit is and it could at least be written into the program documentation or FAQ’s. Better still, why can’t the user input resolution be limited to allow only resolutions below this number? If the calculated “optimum” exceeds the known maximum, then couldn’t the option be limited accordingly to prevent this error occurring in the first place?

I do however disagree that it should be necessary to shutdown and restart the program to free up the resources. If this is indeed the case, then the code is rather poorly written in the first place. This is after all a commercial product that we as users are paying for, not a piece of shareware / freeware!

Thanks for your prompt responses to my support questions – it’s reassuring to have had someone get back to me so promptly. Please pass on my comments to the development team as I really think these issues could be easily fixed and hence make the program much more user friendly.

Regards,
James
Old 21st May 2010, 06:10 PM   #11
RichardS
Master

Quote:
Update from Serif:

Dear Dr Smith,

I accept everything you state here, but I must stress that although the program states the optimum size based on the original image size,...
Thanks for posting those.

- Yes, the "optimum" description does seem rather unhelpful!

- Serif really should give details of the maximum size, and also reveal that the program must be re-booted to clear temporary files.

The "free" Olympus Master 2 software supplied with my camera produces much better panoramas much faster than PnP. But, it works only with an Olympus xD card in an Olympus camera; only when the photos were taken in landscape orientation as a special panorama set; only when the camera was panned in a clockwise direction.

Serif PnP has none of these restrictions.
Old 21st May 2010, 08:01 PM   #12
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Ok, so it's big but the reason I started looking into these panorama stitching programs was to get some panoramas printed at large scale for my wall.
Since walls are usually viewed from several feet away, there's little point in having high resolution printing. 96 or even 72 dpi should be quite adequate. If you really want photo quality prints, perhaps you could export from PnP in small sections.

Geoff
Old 25th May 2010, 12:14 PM   #13
en7jos

Smile Re: "Failed to stitch panorama" error

Thanks Geoff - good suggestion about exporting the panorama in sections if you need higher resolution, I guess that could be an option. I wonder if there is a program available that could take such part sections of a complete panorama and somehow 'stitch' them together into a single image....

Sorry, I'm being facetious but I just couldn't help it on this occasion!

Seriously though, the export size limitiations of the program aren't really a big issue. The point I'm really trying to make is that it would just be useful if Serif could tell me (either in the program documentation or via a more sensible 'optimum' setting) what this maximum resolution actually is! We shouldn't really have to use trial and error to find out at what point the program breaks. Isn't that what beta testing is for? If this was a freeware program fine, but it's not so I would hope that it should work without such annoying little quirks.

Just my thoughts anyway. Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions....

James

P.S. In part-answer to my own original question about what the maximum export width is, after a bit of playing around I've found that about 6000 pixels seems to work fine on my Dell Laptop.
Old 25th May 2010, 02:40 PM   #14
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

I have an image stitched together from 60 Google Earth screen shots using Microsoft's Image Composite Editor, which has recently been updated. There are no size limits (other than finding a program that can open and print the stitched image). It exports PNG, TIF, JPG, HD Photo, and Deep Zoom formats.

My image is 13,544 x 2,387 pixels, 92.5 Mbytes in memory and 5.48 Mbytes on disk, saved as a JPG from IrfanView at a quality setting of 75.

Stitching the preview image takes a couple of minutes and saving the image takes about five minutes.

Printed as a banner @ 300 dpi on A4 landscape it would take about five sheets.

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 23rd January 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 30th May 2010, 09:09 AM   #15
kingsgraphic

kingsgraphic is on a distinguished road

Yes, me too. I have a 15-frame panorama that stitches perfectly in PanoramaPlus3, but fails halfway through X4 with a 'failed to stitch at this size....etc'. I see nothing in the fuctional capability of X4 that is preferable to the previous versions, even V2. I suspect that the underlying 'stitch engine' is identical to previous versions, to which I shall return....!
Old 30th May 2010, 09:38 AM   #16
kingsgraphic

[QUOTE=Bhikkhu Pesala;472377]I have an image stitched together from 60 Google Earth screen shots using Microsoft's Image Composite Editor, which has recently been updated. There are no size limits (other than finding a program that can open and print the stitched image). It exports PNG, TIF, JPG, HD Photo, and Deep Zoom formats.

My image is 13,544 x 2,387 pixels, 92.5 Mbytes in memory and 5.48 Mbytes on disk, saved as a JPG from IrfanView at a quality setting of 75.

<cut here>

Yes Bhikku, but I've tried ICE using my photographs, that contain the perspective that exists in nature, and find frequent bad joins and blending. Also the licence requirement of 'no commercial use' is of little benefit to me or others, even if the software worked properly. Which it doesn't.
There's obviously a bug somewhere in PP X4 that's limiting the size of the output file. As I mentioned previously, version 3 of PP works fine for me, at maximum file size (typically 150Mb+), and with 100% JPEG resolution or to TIFF.
Old 30th May 2010, 04:26 PM   #17
kingsgraphic

[QUOTE=en7jos;470913]Update from Serif:

Dear Dr Smith,

I accept everything you state here, but I must stress that although the program states the optimum size based on the original image size, there is no guarantee given that this will be an exportable resolution. An image which is 12420 x 2851 is ridiculously large and would the resulting JPEG image be in excess of 50mb at least.
Many thanks,
<cut here>

Martin
Technical Support

==================================================

James,
well responded, and I think the comment about 50Mb file size being 'ridiculously large' both patronising and shows an ignorance of what photographers are working with these days. My base images are rarely less than 22Mb each to start with, if not more, and the resulting panorama is often in three-figures. But, as mentioned once and I mention it again, PanoramaPlus3 or PP2 does not exhibit any problem handling these sizes of images. There IS a problem with X4. Remember, PanoramaPlus is only a GUI front-end interface to Autostitch, the software in the background.
Old 30th May 2010, 04:45 PM   #18
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

[QUOTE=kingsgraphic;474918]
Quote:
An image which is 12420 x 2851 is ridiculously large and would the resulting JPEG image be in excess of 50mb at least.

I think the comment about 50Mb file size being 'ridicul
ously large' both patronising and shows an ignorance of what photographers are working with these days.
Yes, I have to agree ... I don't like any response that patronises in this way, especially from a company like Serif. Utterly unacceptable in my view ... sorry!

Old 31st May 2010, 12:07 AM   #19
Jim B.
Master

Jim B. will become famous soon enough

The photos:
  • 36 photos at 8 MP in portrait orientation (2448 x 3264 pixels)
  • about 30% overlap for each photo (2448 x 0.7 = about 1714 pixels wide per photo x 36 photos = about 61,704 pixels total pano width.
  • file size of about 3. 5 MB per photo (about 126 MB total)
  • memory size of about 24 MB per photo (about 864 MB total)

The computer:
  • Pentium 4 with HT @ 3.2 GHz
  • 16 KB primary cache
  • 2 MB secondary cache
  • 800 MHz bus
  • 2 GB RAM
  • ZoneAlarm anti-virus running and set to scan-on-access
  • CPU running at about 60% during stitching

The software:
  • Windows XP SP 3
  • Serif PanoramaPlus 4, with File > Preferences set to 18000 pixels width and "Feature matching Sensitivity" set a bit towards "Match more" than centered.

The project:

Stitch the above 36 images into a pano of 18000 pixels wide.

The results:
  • About 15 minutes from "Stitch" to displayed (guestimated; I didn't time it but should have).
  • Share > Export Panorama... as JPG at 18000 x 1342 pixels and 100% "quality"
  • a file size of about 16 MB
  • a memory size of about 72 MB
  • One photo was up-side-down in the stitch, so some tinkering with the "Feature Matching Sensitivity" slider is needed.

Picture taking. It's a snap!

Good photography. It's complicated.

Last edited by Jim B.; 31st May 2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Added image "overlap" information.
Old 31st May 2010, 08:27 AM   #20
kingsgraphic

[QUOTE=Jim B.;475081]The photos:
  • 36 photos at 8 MP in portrait orientation (2448 x 3264 pixels)
  • file size of about 3. 5 MB per photo (about 126 MB total)
  • memory size of about 24 MB per photo (about 864 MB total)

Hello Jim.
thanks for the input. My setup is very similar to yours, both computer and native image file size. I use an AMD processor.

Yes, you are stitching 36-images but at a resolution that is about one-quarter of the actual. 2448 x 36 = 88128. You loose some in the overlaping areas but 18000 pixels is'nt full resolution. Can I suggest running it again, but leave the preview size at around 1500, then resize the export, checking the 'optimum' size radio button and see what happens.
However my issue isn't with file sizes or number of images, rather that I don't get this problem with PP3 (or 2). Tony.