Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 8th March 2010, 05:58 PM   #1
Frank B.

Frank B. has a brilliant futureFrank B. has a brilliant futureFrank B. has a brilliant futureFrank B. has a brilliant future
Default Serif Products on Mac OS - Possible solution?

Due to the fact that serif software is primarily graphics orientated, a huge opportunity is being missed by not having a Mac version of the product range (not just webplus). In our organisation we've changed completely to iMacs, and while we can still use our serif software within a windows partition, it would be far more convenient if we could simply launch the programs from within the standard Mac environment.

In order to do this with our other windows based software, we use a Mac Utility called crossover from codeweavers. This utility creates a virtual windows environment within the Mac OS environment and allows standard windows programs to be installed and launched. Furthermore, each application has its own environment (called a Bottle) in which individual configurations can be set up to suit the application being installed.

When trying to install Serif applications using CrossOver, everything seems to work well, but for some reason some essential files required by Serif Applications do not appear to get installed, resulting in an installation failure.

From Serif's viewpoint, this should be a serious problem that requires addressing. Clearly the cost of producing Mac versions of software is quite high, but to create a product that won't even install in a virtual windows environment is a major missed opportunity. I'm informed by CodeWeavers that they have an extensive list of approved applications that work well in CrossOver - including heavyweights like Microsoft Office. These approved products appear to provide an alternative installation file that is recognised by CrossOver, and ensures that all the files required for successful installation are included in the installation routine.

I think it would be a good idea for Serif to check out what is required to make their software installable under CrossOver. Not only will it please existing Serif product owners who migrate to Mac, but it would also open up a whole new market of graphics centred Mac Users without Serif having to develop a Mac-specific version of their software. Serif could even provide a licensed copy of CrossOver as part of a Mac package file (at additional cost) and generate a little extra income.

Regards

Frank B.
Old 8th March 2010, 06:12 PM   #2
BrianE
Master

BrianE is a jewel in the roughBrianE is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Serif Products on Mac OS - Possible solution?

Hiya Frank B,

I think this is an excellent suggestion, as I attempted to install WebPlus on CrossOver a year and a half ago. It of course, failed.

This would be very nice for me, and many other people that I know, as we can continue to use out favorite native Mac applications with Serif software at the same time.

It would be incredible to see WebPlus (or any Serif software, in that case) running in CrossOver.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Frank B.

Frank B. has a brilliant futureFrank B. has a brilliant futureFrank B. has a brilliant futureFrank B. has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmasternapa View Post
Hiya Frank B,

I think this is an excellent suggestion, as I attempted to install WebPlus on CrossOver a year and a half ago. It of course, failed.

This would be very nice for me, and many other people that I know, as we can continue to use out favorite native Mac applications with Serif software at the same time.

It would be incredible to see WebPlus (or any Serif software, in that case) running in CrossOver.
I don't think it would be too difficult. From what I understood from the developers, it's just a question of the installation file. Native windows applications assume that any windows specific files that may be needed are already hiding somewhere in the system ready to be installed when requested. A CrossOver installation file usually includes any files that may be needed that aren't automatically found in the Mac OS. This is why I think its important for Serif to investigate the CrossOver option. I'm convinced if Serif gets it right, there is a huge market of Mac users who would just love the simplicity and pricing of Serif products.

Regards

Frank B.
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Designk9

Designk9 is on a distinguished road

So did this ever happen? Will serif software now work with crossover? Xx
Old 27th June 2013, 05:03 PM   #5
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

I've never understood why Mac users would even want to run Window's apps. Why buy a Mac if it doesn't have the applications that you want to use?
Old 15th August 2013, 05:48 PM   #6
KG_iT

KG_iT is on a distinguished road

We think about using "Parallels" to run Pageplus & Co.
After licence change from Adobe "Creative cloud" we have to think about alternative solutions.

There are some things missing in SERIF software, but we are hopefull to see them integrated.