Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 3rd September 2009, 06:52 AM   #1
ecbritz

ecbritz is on a distinguished road
Default PDF's produced by my PP X4 not readable

I am a new user of PagePlus X4 and am busy learning the program by working through the user manual and the tutorials. An essential function which I have not been able to master -- and which is frustrating me to the point of rejecting the whole PagePlus program -- is "Publish Publication as PDF File". I simply cannot succeed in producing a normal, simple PDF file which can be read by Adobe Acrobat 9.1. When I try to "Publish Publication as PDF File", I end up with a file with the extention name ".PDF_Profile". There seems no alternative to producing some kind of "Profile"-type PDF file which cannot be read by Adobe Reader. I have managed somehow, once or twice, to produce a file with the extention name ".PDF". But these files could not be read either and were reported by Adobe Reader as being damaged. How can I avoid the "Profile" complication and produce a simple, normal PDF file readable with Adobe Reader straight from the default PagePlus X4 workspace? Thanks a million in advance for helping me out of this debilitating problem!
Old 3rd September 2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: PDF's produced by my PP X4 not readable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecbritz View Post
I am a new user of PagePlus X4 and am busy learning the program by working through the user manual and the tutorials. An essential function which I have not been able to master -- and which is frustrating me to the point of rejecting the whole PagePlus program -- is "Publish Publication as PDF File". I simply cannot succeed in producing a normal, simple PDF file which can be read by Adobe Acrobat 9.1. When I try to "Publish Publication as PDF File", I end up with a file with the extention name ".PDF_Profile". There seems no alternative to producing some kind of "Profile"-type PDF file which cannot be read by Adobe Reader. I have managed somehow, once or twice, to produce a file with the extention name ".PDF". But these files could not be read either and were reported by Adobe Reader as being damaged. How can I avoid the "Profile" complication and produce a simple, normal PDF file readable with Adobe Reader straight from the default PagePlus X4 workspace? Thanks a million in advance for helping me out of this debilitating problem!
Welcome to the forums! It sounds very much as if you are not following the correct procedure - I have been using PP for years, and have upgraded to X4, and have produced many .pdfs that work perfectly (the menus on my pub sites are examples). Please could you give us the exact steps you are taking to publish your .pdf? One of us will then be able to tell you where you are taking a wrong turn.

Old 3rd September 2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

You should click on OK on the Publish to PDF dialogue, not on Save as… which is intended to save the current PDF Profile.

A PDF Profile is a configuration file that saves the current PDF publish settings — compression, font embedding, etc., — it is not a PDF file at all, which explains why Adobe Reader doesn't know what to make of it.

PagePlus come with a range of predefined PDF profiles — Default, Web Normal, Web Compact, PDF/X1-a, Press-ready, etc., to suit different tasks, but you can also save your own preferred custom settings as a profile to reuse instead of the provided presets. The size and quality of the resulting PDF file depends very much on the PDF profile that you select.

Print Profiles follow a similar concept. On the Print dialogue, you select Print, not Save as… which is for saving Print Profiles.
Old 3rd September 2009, 08:03 AM   #4
ecbritz

Thanks for the appreciated replies. I use a machine operating on Windows Vista Ultimate, in case that might be of importance.
Here is the story of my latest experience...
1. I close and then run PP X4 again. This is because PP X4 has crashed a few times when I was experimenting with its functions. So I suspected the program might need to be refreshed once more. After running a fresh session of PP X4, I start a new publication.
2. I produce a simple publication, a single picture, inside a single picture frame, placed on a single page.
3. Next, I click on the “Publish PDF” button (it is a red button carrying the Adobe logo).
4. This opens the “Publish PDF” dialogue window.
5. I leave everything as it is on opening this window. “Publication” is selected by default, and the following Options are checked by default: “Include Hyperlinks”, “Include Pagehints”, “Include Bookmarks”, “Preview PDF File” and “Show Warnings”.
6. The selections above confuse me because I have not studied the relevant PDF Options section in the manual. For now, I have a humble purpose: I want to produce a simple PDF file, readable with Adobe Acrobat, showing my single picture, inside a single picture frame, placed on a single page.
7. My next step is to click on the “Publish Profile” flyout bar and then on the “Save As ...” button in the “Publish PDF” dialogue window. I do this simply to find my way. In both cases, I am confronted with a range of options that do not make any sense to me, due to my ignorance as a novice.
8. Not knowing what to do, I choose the “Default” option offered by the “Publish Profile” flyout bar.
9. I fill in a file name and press “OK”, hoping for the best …
10. And …? Eureka! … This time a PDF preview unfolds and I have, for the first time, produced a readable PDF file!
Have I found the true solution? Do I simply have to study more to understand the whole “Publish PDF” dialogue window? I certainly feel more encouraged now. Your further guidance would really help me over this uncertainty. I am particularly interested how to adjust the quality (i.e. the weight in terms of bytes) of the PDF's I would like to produce.
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:03 AM   #5
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
7. My next step is to click on the “Publish Profile” flyout bar and then on the “Save As ...” button in the “Publish PDF” dialogue window. I do this simply to find my way. In both cases, I am confronted with a range of options that do not make any sense to me, due to my ignorance as a novice.
Ignore this option for now.
Quote:
8. Not knowing what to do, I choose the “Default” option offered by the “Publish Profile” flyout bar.

9. I fill in a file name and press “OK”, hoping for the best …
Press “OK”, then fill in the file name.

To get smaller PDF files use the ”Web Normal” or ”Web Compact” PDF profiles instead of “Default.”

Checkout out the Compression Tab on the dialogue and note the different settings with each different profile selected. Then you're on the path to understanding what a PDF profile is, and how to save one with your own preferred compression settings to reuse. The Save as… option lets you fine-tune the PDF options, but for now the preset profiles will be enough.
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:14 AM   #6
ecbritz

Thanks, I think you are the same person who helped me some years ago with OpenOffice. The memory weight of a PDF is important to me, because I send out a newsletter to a large readership by e-mail in PDF format, and I adjust the weight of each issue to keep it under 3MB. So I will certainly use follow your appreciated instructions.