Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > FontManager

Notices

FontManager Typeface Organisation Software

Old 17th June 2009, 11:15 PM   #1
Bill Schuhle

Bill Schuhle has a spectacular aura about
Default "Use Font Manager to find and install..."

This option is grayed out in my PPX3 font substitution dialogue even though Font Manager is definitely installed (and opens from the icon in the Font Studio). How do I fix this?

Desktop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 3GHz Pentium 4, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 4GB ReadyBoost
Laptop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 1.9GHz Athalon X2 QL-60, 3GB RAM, 128GB SSD

Last edited by Bill Schuhle; 18th June 2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 18th June 2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Wiley

Wiley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Use Font Manager to find and install..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Schuhle View Post
This option is grayed out in my PPX3 font substitution dialogue even though Font Manager is definitely installed (and opens from the icon in the Font Studio). How do I fix this?
Bill,

Can you send me an example of a PDF that demonstrates the problem? The PDF should make use of an uncommon/non-default/non-embedded font in order to trigger the substitution function.

If I can reproduce the results you're getting, it would help you make a case for a bug report to Serif.
Old 18th June 2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Bill Schuhle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
Can you send me an example of a PDF that demonstrates the problem?
Wiley,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the file in question was not a PDF file but rather a PPX2 file being opened in PPX3 on a different machine at my office which did not have one of the requisite fonts installed, which is what triggered the substitution dialogue. First I copied the missing font to the X3 computer and, without installing it, tested to see if Font Manager would find it and install it temporarily. However, as I mentioned in my first post, in the substitution dialogue, the FM option is grayed out -- as if FM was not even installed -- and so no auto-installation took place. I then installed the font manually and the document opened without a hitch (well, not totally -- some re-flow of text occurred which messed things up a bit, but at least there was no substitution dialogue).

Desktop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 3GHz Pentium 4, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 4GB ReadyBoost
Old 20th June 2009, 04:50 AM   #4
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Schuhle View Post
Bill,

Open FM. Tools menu/Find fonts.

FM will automatically find fonts if they are added to one of the Groups in FM.

Geoff
Old 20th June 2009, 04:36 PM   #5
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Blanthorn View Post
Open FM. Tools menu/Find fonts.

FM will automatically find fonts if they are added to one of the Groups in FM.
Geoff,

FM will also find fonts automatically when called up by PP, but it isn't immediately obvious that this will only happen if the fonts have been added to a Group. However, given the size of most hard disks these days, it probably wouldn't be practical to let FM search more widely than that.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 20th June 2009, 06:51 PM   #6
Bill Schuhle

Geoff & Alfred --

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware that fonts had to be added to a Group in FM in order for FM to locate them (haven't studied the program in much depth, obviously), so will be building some groups real soon now...

Last edited by Bill Schuhle; 20th June 2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: To spell "Jeff"s name correctly.