Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 14th December 2007, 12:13 AM   #1
biggreenfurrything
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb Directories in the site structure

Is it possible to place different pages of the same WebPlus site in different directories?

I want entire sections of a site each placed in their own directories.

For instance, the home page (index.html) is in root but the gallery page, also called index.html is in a sub directory called 'images' along with all picture and gallery files (.swf's).

Can this kind of structure be set up and managed by WebPlus? Can't find a thing in the help files.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 14th December 2007, 01:29 AM   #2
Susie

Lightbulb Re:*Directories in the site structure

Hi Mark,
You can place your pages where you want, in different directories, as long as the path of the URL points to them.
But you will have to do separate uploads (publishing), to the individual folders.

So, say you have folders under you main site directory, called Images, Products, Trash, then each of these folders (directories), will need to have an index.html file for the contents to show.

So, you could make different .wpp files for all these separate directories, or if doing it from the same .wpp file, to get the correct link, you would then upload your pages from a separate .wpp file in these folders, make sure that the pages have the correct names to match your links in the nav bar.

You will need to insert the page as an external link, and (create them separately) change the name of the link, but it will open that particular page inside another directory (see image).
The pages that are in the separate directory must be uploaded from the other .wpp file.
Does that sound confusing... it's possible but you would need to make separate .wpp files for each directory, but just make sure that the main site have those pages in the nav bar as external links.

Although you can add external pages as child links to another external page, I cannot seem to get the child links to show.

So, although you are making the links to the other directories, the pages will be made separately and uploaded to their own folders.

Hope that's not too confusing ?
Best of luck....
Susie
Free (Serif) Software Templates http://www.susieqdesigns.co.uk/portfolio.html

Old 14th December 2007, 02:28 AM   #3
biggreenfurrything

Lightbulb Re: Directories in the site structure

Susie,

Thanks for the quick and very comprehensive reply. You've confirmed what I suspected but explained it beautifully, certainly better than I could.

A client had several thousand cards printed including a link to a web page. Unfortunately, they screwed up the URL and missed the off .html so visitors will type www.site.com/cards which takes them to a directory not a page.

Separate WebPlus files is the one way forward but there are so many pages to manage I'm loath to split up the site. Changes to multiple Master pages would be a a nightmare. I think I'll put an index.html page in the images directory but with an immediate redirect to the correct URL.

If only they'd read my instructions correctly and asked me to proofread the cards before they went to the printer. 'Bless.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 14th December 2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Susie

Hi Mark,

Yes, that would be a good workaround to get them to the correct page, but how will you work the nav bar?
On the main nav bar you could have the images button as none active and create the drop down child features independently and then create a second nav bar on your Images folder index page.
So, depending upon whether they type the address in or click a link on the main page they will get inside the folder.

Let's hope your client has learned their lesson, or perhaps you were too kind not to mention their faux par!

Susie

Old 14th December 2007, 03:14 PM   #5
'Awful Punster'

Mark,

Separate WP files may be one way forward, but it isn't necessary. When you click the 'Change...' button under the file name in the Page Properties dialog, you can choose the name and the path of the page. Click the 'New Folder' button in the Web Page Properties dialog and highlight the new folder to direct your Gallery pages to it.

Alfred

Old 14th December 2007, 06:34 PM   #6
Susie

Alfred,
Fantastic tip that!

I hang my hat in shame....

Susie

Old 17th December 2007, 12:34 PM   #7
biggreenfurrything

Got back from a weekend away, sat down and started pondering this problem again. Then visited the forum and checked this thread.

Alfred you are an absolute star. Thank you!

Cheers,
Mark

Old 17th December 2007, 02:23 PM   #8
'Awful Punster'

You're welcome, Mark!

Cheers,
Alfred