Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > General

Notices

General Discussions that don't relate to a specific Serif product

Old 30th August 2006, 02:09 PM   #1
x
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb Samsung CLP-510 Duplex Color Laser Printer

HIya all

Anyone have experience with this printer? How is the color output? Reliability? I know it is not a photo printer like an inkjet, but how does it print photos? Resolution 1200 x 1200.

thanks

Old 30th August 2006, 04:48 PM   #2
Jim B.

Lightbulb Re:Samsung CLP-510 Duplex Color Laser Printer

No experience with that particular printer, but for color laser printers in general, be sure to consider the "size" of the cartridges that are included with the printer, and the availability and cost of replacement cartridges.

Many laser printers, and particualrly color laser printers, come with "starter" size cartridges, often containing just a small portion of the toner in a "regular" cartridge. You buy the printer, use it just a few times, and already have to buy a cartridge (black), or two (black & 3-color), or four (black & C & M & Y).

The "regular" cartridges can easily cost as much as the printer, per each.

Perhaps consider instead, getting just a black laser printer. For your pages that need color, print the black text portion in the faster laser printer, then print the small amount of color portion in a inkjet printer. Printing just the color portion in the inkjet printer will seem like it is printing faster, too.

Jim B. :> )

First, voices. Next, bells. Then, pills. Recently, Vogon poetry. Now, butterflies, thousands of 'em, all over everything!!!

Old 31st August 2006, 09:54 AM   #3
kewlkiwi

Before you buy a colour laser, it might pay to see if you can refill your cartridges yourself.
I use a Minolta/QMS 'Magicolor' and refills from:

http://www.tonerrefillkits.com/

which work out a lot cheaper than buying new ones locally - even allowing for air-freight to New Zealand.

Bob

Old 31st August 2006, 01:11 PM   #4
x

HIya Guys

How would I tell if the cartridges are refillable? Looking at toners for this printer on ebay, they seem to come in bottles. Expensive stuff.

Bob, how do you like your priter? What model?

Jim, non profits never have the volunteer time/staff to run something through a printer twice.... once for black and again for color. But, it is a great idea that I may use here for small print runs...

Old 4th September 2006, 12:26 AM   #5
Steve Gouldstone

I bought one of these a month ago. For printing newsletters/brochures etc where the photos are not the main source of interest, but just there to 'brighten up the page' the quality is more than adequate, pretty good in fact.

I've found somewhere you can get a set of refills for toner for about 30 quid each = 120 pounds a set www.refill-toner.co.uk though I haven't needed to try it yet.

The duplexer works very well.

So far, I'm very impressed, especially for the money. Just hope it keeps going. It's big and heavy though. Need a large desk.

Steve

Old 4th September 2006, 12:37 AM   #6
x

Hi Steve

Thanks for posting. THese are available as refurbs on ebay US for about $100.00.

Our Special Olympics prints tons of paper and the duplexing will really be of benefit, so I am glad for your report on its functionality.

Now, the question of the day: does their computer have a suitable USB port or will I have to find a serial to usb adapter to run the thing.... I will know that in a couple of days.

Old 8th September 2006, 12:15 AM   #7
x

Hiya Steve

Have you upgraded the memory on your printer?

I want to increase the memory on the printer that Special Olympics is getting and can't get a clear idea of exactly what RAM chip the printer needs in advance.

SamsumgpartsUS wants $399.00 for 64 megs.......

Old 8th September 2006, 06:47 PM   #8
Richard Hunt

Do you have the part number? Put it into Google, surrounded by quote marks, followed by the word equivalent.

Richard

Old 8th September 2006, 07:18 PM   #9
x

Richard

Thanks.... google led me to the equivalent Kingston part number.....

KTM0059/64A

ebay's got it for $21.00.

MacWorld wanted $515.00 for the Samsung part ML-00MC.....

what a difference google do make.

Old 8th September 2006, 07:53 PM   #10
Jim B.

One could also wonder how it is (from where) that someone on eBay has obtained a "genuine" new-in-box item at a price low enough to then resell it at the higher price of $21, when MacWorld seems to be able to sell the same item at $515.

If the offer seems to good to be true...

Let the buyer beware...

You get what you pay for...

I used to work in the quality control section of the M&M packing plant, but I got fired for throwing out the W's, E's and 3's.

Old 8th September 2006, 10:17 PM   #11
x

JIm B

As I mentioned above, the equivalent of the Samsung chip is a Kingston chip.... hence the difference in price. I have found it at memory sites for as low as $16.50.

I think I may have a stick of the Kingston 64 around here somewhere and may see how it compares to the included RAM when the refurb printer arrives and I install it.

Remember, the samsungparts place quoted $399...... so once again the MAC stuff is a whole lot more expensive for the same thing!

Old 9th September 2006, 04:09 PM   #12
Richard Hunt

eBay does not really have anything for sale: it's really just like the advertisments in the back of the newspaper, except you are handing over money up front, sight unseen, to someone you don't know. Almost all eBay vendors are honest and are simply using it as a trading platform, but there are enough spivs and wide-boys there to make me very wary.

Richard

Old 9th September 2006, 04:26 PM   #13
Richard Hunt

At that price, stick in as much extra memory as the printer will take, or more comples pages will make it barf, especially in duplex. The only other thing to say is that Samsung America might, if you needed a repair under warranty, turn round and say that as you fitted third-party RAM it was an unauthorised modification and voided the warranty.

Richard

Old 9th September 2006, 05:29 PM   #14
x

Hiya RIchard

No worry about the warranty as this is a refurb unit on order for Special Olympics. They print seemingly reams of mostly documents with a bit of ornamentation and that duplexer will help save time and paper.

The KIngston RAM seems to be the old SODIMMs used in laptops and I've requested some via our local freecycle group. Maybe I will get lucky and the SODIMMs will be donated.

The printer will take 64 or 128 meg chips.... yup, I will top it off if I can.

Thanks

Old 9th September 2006, 06:32 PM   #15
Richard Hunt

Lightbulb duplexers

Oh, I'm a big fan of duplexers. In fact, I would no longer spec a laser printer without one. The saving in hassle is the main factor for me.
I've found you need to be a bit more careful with the paper and use a slightly heavier grade.

Richard

Old 9th September 2006, 06:51 PM   #16
x

Lightbulb Re:duplexers

RIchard

Then, let me brag about my HP 5si mx.. I got this used, from an eBay vendor, several years ago. Mike K here suggested I increase RAM, a thought that had not crossed my mind and now the first thing I think of....

THis printer will do 11x17 duplex flawlessly.

However, it does squack loudly and vomits inelegantly out some of the church's preprinted four color bulletin stock...... Easter was very wrinkled even on first pass. Too much purple too thickly over most of the area. In looking closely at the stock, there was so much ink on the cover that it significantly increased paper thickness on that half of the page and hence the problem.

THis printer is now sitting quietly on the sides. I printed some 30 up labels on old stock for my doc..... and part of the sheet tore off inside and I cannot find it. THis printer opens on three sides, and even with that, I cannot find the piece.

Usually Special Olympics uses the cheapest paper they can find. I will probably do the first run or two to check things out and will watch for a paper quality issue. Thanks for the warning.

Old 9th September 2006, 10:30 PM   #17
Richard Hunt

I currently have a QMS-Minolta 2350. It prints wonderrrful looking material. Leaving the painful cost of toner aside, there are a few gotchas:

- the paper stack is not a proper tray, more a flat shelf, so it is alarmingly easy to bash the corners of the paper or get the sheets slightly misaligned, neither of which the duplexer likes.
- damp, ie left open in a gumid atmosphere, paper sometimes crinkles and jams.
- the papere that has been through the duplexer does not always fall into the output tray properel

Richard

Old 9th September 2006, 11:23 PM   #18
x

Richard

I have a couple of cats that sit on the HP just waiting for something to be printed. They then pounce merrily and mighily on the output which is open and on top of the printer. Perforations and foot prints and output spewed all over the room were not infrequent.

They finally trained me to put them outside when printing anything of volume and.or of value.

Yup, the cost of color...... yet another whole ball of wax!

Old 29th September 2006, 01:51 AM   #19
TONY DOYLE

Lightbulb SAMSUNG SUCK...(TONER BY THE LOOK OF THINGS)

USED PRINTER FOR 1ST TIME.
PRINTED OUT 400 PAGES FOR FLYERS...
THEN "EMPTY YELLOW TONER" & "EMPTY MAGENTA TONER" MESSAGE.
CANT PRINT NOWT UNTIL RENEWED..NOT EVEN LETTERS...
80 A TONER THATS A JOKE...
160 FOR 400 PAGES.....

SAMSUNG CAN STICK THEIR LASER

Old 29th September 2006, 02:21 AM   #20
Jim B.

Lightbulb Re:SAMSUNG SUCK...(TONER BY THE LOOK OF THINGS)

Obviously you did adequate research before buying the product.

You know you're an engineer if you have no life & can prove it mathematically.