Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

Old 15th May 2006, 09:02 PM   #1
Lon in California
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb New WebPlus 9 Site

Hi all,

....and first a "thanks" to so many of you. I've just published my first functional site using WP 9. (www.lpleblanc.com). I know there's a bit of tweaking to do yet, and the downloadable forms for first meetings are not yet completed and reviewed by our legal department. However, the rest of the site functions. This is only my second site, and first reasonably functional one. For those who might be contemplating WP vs Dreamweaver or Front Page, or others, I can tell you that this was a pretty simple process. However, so much of the thanks really goes to the experts here....Alfred and others....who, by helping others with their problems and projects, were really helping me with my project.

....and, as an added bonus, the site has a recent picture so that the world can see what "Lon in California" looks like.

Cheers!

Lon

Old 15th May 2006, 09:43 PM   #2
'Awful Punster'

Lightbulb Re:New WebPlus 9 Site

Hi Lon,

As I am not a resident of any of the qualifying states I am not officially permitted to enter the site but I noted that your 'Enter' and 'Exit' links point to pages 3 and 4 so I went to page 2 http://www.lpleblanc.com/page2.html and found your picture there. Let me know if you would like me to add it to the Rogues Gallery.

Alfred

Click here to visit the Serif Rogues Gallery http://rogues.awfulpunster.info' onM..."";return true

Old 15th May 2006, 09:48 PM   #3
Mike Koewler

Lon,

Nice site. Loads quickly and all the links I tried worked.

A suggestion, you might as well take off the "You have to be a resident of" part. It really doesn't serve any function.

Mike

Old 15th May 2006, 10:04 PM   #4
Dennis

Lake Arrowhead California, huh Lon? Sounds great, and yet you are very close to San Bernadine.

I'm in San Jose California myself and am getting ready to move. The only place I might be able to afford (be able to buy) if I want to stay in California and that is not 150 miles from anywhere that has any kind of a population base at all, is in northern California around Lake Oroville.. It's near the city of Chico up north of Sacramento about 100 miles.

I'm actually looking not into Chico, but to it's east about 15 miles is the town of Paradise (population 25,000). There's a northern fork of Lake Oroville that extends up that way with a smaller Marina.

I was looking into the area around the town of Oroville (20 miles south of Chico), but the area I was looking into that I could actually afford to buy an old small cabin sized house, I've investigated, and it's inexpensive for a reason - the neighborhood truly sucks (wouldn't feel safe walking the street at night). Paradise on the other hand is at least 40% retired.. Kind of a town built in a forest, right below the snow line.. Besides if the dam ever breaks, it looks like Oroville will be swept under water...

If not there, it's out of state I go...

. /)/)
( .)
o(_('')('') ......Dennis

Old 15th May 2006, 10:34 PM   #5
Lon in California

Mike,

Yes, a silly procedure, because ANYONE can enter. The Securities and Exchange Commission and National Association of Securities Dealers requires the "disclaimer" about living in a state where I'm registered.

Old 15th May 2006, 10:38 PM   #6
mjh

Lon

Nice site, easy to avigate. Interesting photos and local interest stuff.

mjh

PS My next move will be either to Costa Rica or Belize.

Old 15th May 2006, 11:03 PM   #7
Lon in California

Alfred,

I'd be honored to be included with such a group of Rogues as this. Oh, and I finally ran across the pic of the "Lovely Natasha", too. Can the day get any better than this?

Lon

Old 16th May 2006, 05:26 PM   #8
James

Hi, I'm an IFA in good old blighty and and to call ourselves independent we have to offer both fee based or commission. Your fee's are very reasonable
I bookmarked your site to re-read the bit about fact finding as I might be tempted to use a sentence or two. (Changed spelling of course in a couple of area's.)

One of the things I dislike about WP9 is the way it handles graphics and I thought your photo looked too low res for my personal liking.

I re-read this paragraph a couple of times and wonder if there's too much jargon on the investment philosophy page?

" We employ a passive asset class investment strategy using no-load, low-cost index mutual funds and exchange traded funds (ETFs). This results in reduced trading costs and turnover expenses for our clients, more reliable benchmark tracking, disciplined risk management, and tax efficient portfolios. "

Something on the site explaining what all this means might be helpful? Just a personal opinion!

You have also used a different font size on a couple of page paragraphs. I always prefer to see the same sized font on every page with the exception of headers and highlighters. Again a personal preference!

And finally, your pages are numbered. I would change the names of the pages to reflect the subject for linking.

I was very impressed with the personal stuff and will use some of that philosophy in my next site as it creates a good impression and personalises the information. This isn't something we do very well in the UK.

Congratulations, all in all a very good site. I hope it reaches the parts you want it to reach?

My company site http://www.ifas.co.uk

Old 16th May 2006, 11:23 PM   #9
Lon in California

James,

Thanks for the input.

The pics are from my 1/3 megapixel camera. I'll be upgrading those shortly, but just haven't had time to get new pics taken and uploaded. This site started out as something of a lark, which I never really figured the company would approve. When they said they would, I rushed a few things to get it finalized. Right now, only a few people (including the Serif Forum users) have the website. It really doesn't get hits. But, that doesn't mean that I don't want it to look splendid, so the input is very appreciated.

I thought I had changed all the page names, but that's obviously something that I don't quite have the hang of yet. But, I agree....meaningful page names makes a lot more sense that "page 1", "page 2", etc.

The different font size was certainly an oversight. I'll look for and correct that.

I agree on the wording about investment philosophy, but I had to jump through a bunch of compliance hurdles to get what you see approved. In the last few years, the NASD has really tightened down on what can be said, or not.

Thanks again for the input.

Lon