Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 17th May 2004, 11:18 AM   #1
mike
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb New Additions

Just two more suggestions for the amazing DrawPlus package.

1) Addition of a Tabloid Template on the Portrait type of new document.

2) Inclusion of a spell checker in DrawPlus to check and mistyped text.

Old 17th May 2004, 04:32 PM   #2
Gary

Lightbulb Linked picture files

Having worked with DP7 to design a large format poster recently I came across a significant limitation. Whilst DP7 allows you to link to graphics files, it still displays the full original graphic and so the computer slows down incredibly -- in fact, to the point where I gave up and used different software. Adobe software works by saving a low quality version of linked pictures in the file itself and using that for display. The full res picture only needs to be read when outputting. This is far more efficient and speeds up the design process considerably. Can we have this in DP7 please?!

Old 20th May 2004, 09:50 AM   #3
mike

Lightbulb Re:New Additions

One thing I really hate is software that installs parts of itself into the root directory.

SERIF TAKE NOTE. DO NOT DO THIS AGAIN IN DP8! MOVE THOSE LIBRARIES SOMEWHERE ELSE. THIS IS ONE OF THE LAST FEW AREAS OF WINDOWS THAT REMAINS UNCLUTTERED KEEP IT THAT WAY!

Right I feel muck better now!

Old 20th May 2004, 03:58 PM   #4
G Blanthorn

Mike,

Feeling muck sounds like a fetish! I don't see any DP files in my root directory either.

Geoff

Old 21st May 2004, 08:14 AM   #5
Frosty

Lightbulb additions

Ability to export anuimations as windows media files would help, as it would allow me to import them into my video editing software and use them in dvd's. I know you can do avi's, but there massive and crash my system!
Ability to make panorama's that you see in Quicktime would be cool...
Wishlist...more like dreamlist! lol

Old 21st May 2004, 12:10 PM   #6
Dave P

DrawPlus has not done that on my system. Which files are you refering to?

I presume you used a Custom Install in which case, you can't blame the software

Dave

Old 22nd May 2004, 02:41 PM   #7
Richard

Lightbulb More import/export options..........

Hi,

Besides more speed and less 'stickyness' (I think it's a memory leak on DP's side) I would love to see the import and export filters improved and added to.

I mean all there are for export filters are:

Gif
JPEG
PNG
BMP
TIFF for common image files, aside from a bit more tweaking here and there in the save dialogs I think these are good for image saves.

and for vector, WMF, besides DP's native format.

then there's:

Targa
PaintBrush and
Kodak Flash Pix

Which are file formats I rarely use, if at all. Targa in a great once in a while and the other two I NEVER use!

No support for AI or PS and one vector format I would secretly love to see made available is Xara's .xar format. Or how about CorelDraw's .cdr or Deneba Canvas's .CVX format?

EMF or EPS are two of the many standards that SHOULD be included here but are not.

Please consider updating this area and make DP 8 more friendlier towards other sofware packages.

Thanks!

Richard
---Wolff On The Prowl---
http://www.ramwolffsworld.com/RAMWolffsWorld

Old 25th May 2004, 09:29 AM   #8
mike

Can't remember them off hand as don't have the access to the computer while at the library but they are definately two dlls beginning with "mc".

I tried moving them to the system folder but DP failed to initialise. Deleting them had the same effect and I had to repair the installation.

I did use a custom installation to make sure everything that could be installed to HD could be accessed from there. But surely installing to root is a little silly no matter what installation method is chosen.

I will have to get back to you on the names of the files.

Old 25th May 2004, 09:33 AM   #9
mike

Not really but feeling muck better is preferable to feeling s**t!

Old 25th May 2004, 12:07 PM   #10
Dave P

>>>> But surely installing to root is a little silly no matter what installation method is chosen <<<<

If you asked a custom installation to install there, it would install the features you requested at that location I suspect. DLL files are not features and it's not likely that the user has any control over their location. I do not have any .DLL files in my root from any program.

>>>> I will have to get back to you on the names of the files <<<<

That could be revealing.

Dave

Old 27th May 2004, 10:46 AM   #11
mike

>>> If you asked a custom installation to install there, it would install the features you requested at that location I suspect. DLL files are not features and it's not likely that the user has any control over their location. I do not have any .DLL files in my root from any program. <<<

No I didn't ask the install program to install anything in my root directory. I left the installation directories as default. The only custom options I chose were the ticking of all the components on both the DrawPlus 7 and Resource cds so that they would install them to the hard drive rather than have them run from cd.

The names of the files are as follows:

mfc70.dll
mfc70u.dll

Old 27th May 2004, 11:04 AM   #12
Mike Brett

Lightbulb Re:additions

Frosty:

Agree entirely with your basic suggestion (i.e. some workable output for DV), but would probably support some kind of lossless compression such as Huffy rather than WM.

I'd be interested to know why AVIs might crash your system if you're making your own DVDs (which I would have thought would have been much bigger than most AVIs of modest length)? Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick....

- Mike -

Old 27th May 2004, 12:14 PM   #13
Dave P

mfc70.dll lives in my WINDOWSSystem32 folder.

mfc70u.dll can't be found at all.

Dave

Old 27th May 2004, 02:25 PM   #14
G Blanthorn

I have both these files in both J and G partition root directories. Nowhere else. DrawPlus is in F partition.

Geoff

Old 27th May 2004, 02:27 PM   #15
'Awful Punster'

Dave,

Both mfc70.dll and mfc70u.dll are in my root; my WINDOWSSystem32 folder doesn't have a copy of either file, but does have mfc40.dll and mfc40u.dll as well as mfc42.dll and mfc42u.dll.

Alfred

Click here to visit my Serif-related pages http://echo1.dr2.net/~corniest/Serif..."";return true

Old 27th May 2004, 03:34 PM   #16
Dave P

The plot thickens

Dave

Old 27th May 2004, 11:48 PM   #17
Richard

Hi,

I have both mfc70.dll, mfc70u.dll and mfc70enu.dll in my System32 folder!

Richard
---Wolff On The Prowl---

Old 27th May 2004, 11:55 PM   #18
Richard

Lightbulb Repeating Fill option implemented would be nice...

If you want to have a fill work as repeating fill it seems that DP 7 can not do this, am I correct or have I over looked the option somewhere??

Try this... Create a simple rectangle and then select one of the Linear fills. Now move the real time editing handle inwards. The last color in the line is used to fill the area that is not affected by the fill nodes, instead of just repeating.

There is no option to 'repeat' the fill if so desired!! Same thing for all the other fill types unless, again, I have overlooked the option somewhere!!

Also I notice if I have filled an object and then click/select another fill type from the gallery and then go to move the handles the previous fill returns!! That's just strange!

If these both are concerns for others then could we please have these two things implemented/fixed??

Richard
---Wolff On The Prowl---

Old 3rd June 2004, 08:33 AM   #19
mike

Will try moving them to WINDOWSSystem32 and see if it still works.

Thanks for your assistance.

Old 4th June 2004, 09:56 AM   #20
Mike Brett

Lightbulb Some animation suggestions ....

I can't claim to be a DP guru by the longest stretch of the imagination, so please take these requests with some salt....

These refer to Animation Mode

1. Some ability to see multiple frames as a thumbnail set.

2. Option to have a new frame's vitals come up at clone time, e.g. for immediate renaming.

3. Ability to select a set of frames, copy them, place them in a determined position elsewhere (not necessarily JUST at the end).

4. An ability to clone "n" copies of the current frame and place them in a determined position elsewhere (not necessarily JUST at the end).

5. Ability to select multiple frames for the purposes of adjusting their display duration simultaneously to a single new figure.

6. Intelligent ability to select an object in one frame, and then see an editable list of its key parameters (forward and backwards in the animation, for as long as that object exists). The editable list, in spreadsheet form, could allow (at minimum) motion vectors to be set up and extrapolated. So say I set up the "distance from left" parameters in three successive frames to be 10, 20 and 30, I should then be able to select these three cells, seize a black square in the bottom right corner of the set and pull the marquee downwards. I then expect the newly selected boxes to take on the values 40, 50, 60 etc. just as in any modern spreadsheet.

7. Extending the vision of semi-automatic positioning in 6., how about:
7a: in any set of frames where a defined object is contiguously present, being able to set a start parameter in one frame, an end parameter in another, and telling the programme to sort out intermediate values by interpolation following certain maths rules, linear, log etc..
7b: ditto, but allowing more than one parameter to be set (e.g. both x and y positions, x and y object dimensions, or both)
What IMHO is missing from the present animation technology in DP is any sense of association or continuity between the frames; they're just a set of separate DP images that 'happen' to go together.

8. Ability to have (at least one) displayable text field where a constant or calculated field could be displayed without the user having to type a new value for each frame. One use I wanted this for was to have a running display of elapsed seconds in the animation, so I would have liked to have been able to put in something like (#Elapsed Time# & " seconds"), in one place and have the right value appear in each frame. In a more general sense, if the "data spreadsheet" idea mentioned above were to be used, output from that could be calculated per frame and used.

9. I'm beginning to find out that GIFs are not very reliable if you need constant speed playback. This is where you need AVI output options, but the present AVI filter is not very practical. A 770 kB GIF was output as a 190 MB AVI. Good old fashioned MPEG1 produced excellent full-screen display for only 1.9 MB. More output filter choice please? (Straight to Flash would be good, too!)

10. Some quicker way to get from the start to the finish of an animation. I'm only at 160 frames on the present job and it's tediously slow. Would Go to Start, Go to Finish buttons be possible please?

More General DP Wishes

1. Easier way to get the Studio on display; seems to involve a lot of mouse-clicks in 7.07

2. More consistent GUI (e.g.for tools options) with other Plus programs.

Just some thoughts.... I realise that I'm probably not using the prog for the purpose originally intended!

- Mike -