Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > DrawPlus

Notices

DrawPlus Questions about using DrawPlus for vector graphics design

Old 23rd April 2003, 10:48 AM   #1
Dave Harris
Message imported from old Serif Forum

Lightbulb DrawPlus 8 Wishlist

I am drawing up a wishlist for DrawPlus 8. What new features and improvements would you like to see?

Old 23rd April 2003, 11:13 AM   #2
Al

Lightbulb Re:DrawPlus 8 Wishlist

Crucial one:
More import/export options!
most important adobe illustrator files and corel draw,
latest versions.
Also stability and roughness!
So it's hard to halt or crash program!

Thanks

Al

Old 23rd April 2003, 03:45 PM   #3
Paul

More filter effects and options for the current ones

A feature similar to the change bar in PagePlus where you can resize objects to a precise size.

Eraser tool

Old 23rd April 2003, 03:59 PM   #4
Dave P

>>>> A feature similar to the change bar in PagePlus where you can resize objects to a precise size. <<<<

You can type precise measurements into the Status Tab.

Dave

Old 23rd April 2003, 05:33 PM   #5
'Awful Punster'

Although the Status Tab can be kept out of the way by resizing it, I'd prefer a 'Minimize/Restore' button as on PP's ChangeBar.

Alfred

Old 23rd April 2003, 05:33 PM   #6
Paul

Dave,
Thanks. My status tab was missing even though it was checked, so I never have looked at it but IT's Backkk Now

Old 23rd April 2003, 05:40 PM   #7
'Awful Punster'

Paul,

&nbsp; >>> Eraser tool <<<

In DP7 (but not DP6 or earlier) you can draw a marquee around selected nodes and press the Delete key to remove them. What else would an Eraser tool enable you to do?

Alfred

Old 23rd April 2003, 05:44 PM   #8
Dave P

Old 23rd April 2003, 05:52 PM   #9
steve

More line style options, and not the daft celebrations, technology ones...but something similar to Illustrator's

Ability to specify the image directory when exporting sliced objects - DP should create this directory/folder as well.

Steve

Old 23rd April 2003, 07:32 PM   #10
Paul

I know you can delete the nodes by selecting. I use the eraser tool in Adobe illustrator and it allows you to simply erase as you would in an Image editor, which makes it easier for precisely removing segements. This was asked about in another thread so I thought I would suggest as well. I am used to using the advanced features of adobe products.

Old 23rd April 2003, 07:44 PM   #11
Mike Keller

Hi Dave

Like Al, I would like to see EPS export with the ability to add both TIF and/or WMF previews and pantone or cmyk info.

ALso, a layers studio panel that will list all the objects on each layer and page etc.

Mike

Old 24th April 2003, 07:30 AM   #12
Dale Cook

A minor one here:

Alfred recently noted that Instant Effects aren't easy to "rotate", in the way that a fill rotates with its object.

How about a "Rotate with object" option to accompany the existing "Scale with object" option in the Filter Effects dialog? It might be too much to expect an object rotation value to be used to carry out subsequent changes to the Bump & Pattern X/Y values and the light source position, it might be too difficult to transpose, but if it's possible it would be nice.

TTFN, Dale.

Old 25th April 2003, 07:56 PM   #13
Richard

I echo Al's wish for more import/export files wish, how about .xar files??? Exporting is not so important to me but the importation factor would be just great!!

Thanks

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Old 25th April 2003, 07:59 PM   #14
Richard

Hi again,

Once more echoing Steve's request but I am asking for lines like blip and lines like that. So you can thin them out on either end or similar effects. Comes in handy from time to time when you have this sort of option.

Thanks

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Old 25th April 2003, 08:08 PM   #15
Dave P

Richard

You can, of course, design your own lines and add them to DP.....

Where do you draw the line (pardon the pun!) on when there are enough options etc? For example, I would never use your 'blip lines' etc.....

Dave

Old 25th April 2003, 09:28 PM   #16
Richard

My own couple of wishes.

The ability to detach the shadows from the objects that they are applied to.

If an object is converted to a bitmap that you can then add more effects to that bitmap without the previous effects going away.

Example. If I have created a lovely skin colored round "splotch" and then add a feather and a linear transparency to it and then convert it to a bitmap and then I want to add a fractal transparency to it as well, the linear transparency goes away and all I have is the fractal transparency. The ability to have the previous effects 'locked' into the converted bitmap image allowing for more of the same transparency effects to be added on top (so to speak) is better in many ways. Instead of adding weight to the image by trying to do it with more layers you have one layer with all the effects on one object/bitmap. Then you can copy that one and use as a template, as such. Make sense??

The ability to add, intersect or subtract multiple objects at one time, instead of only two at a time.

Thanks for listening!

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Old 27th April 2003, 03:33 PM   #17
Barry Kintner

Good day all -
-- I truly like the ability of DP6 to allow me to create image maps and slice the image on the same "screen" - now one thing that CorelDRAW allows that I really would like is the ability to "use image shape" for a map selection instead of having to set each node one at a time for any shape - especially complicated polygons.
-- If you do real maps with many many nodes this saves a great deal of time by automatically selecting the shape of a piece of property, for example, and setting it as "poly" then gathering the coordinates for the image map.
-- More stability. I can export once just fine - but if I don't like it and wish to change something - have to shut down and restart - or the program locks up at the export window.

Old 27th April 2003, 05:25 PM   #18
Michael Sullivan

Hi, I've requested image batch conversion in the past but it hasn't been a reality yet. I'm especially interested in batch converting one type of vector image into a different type of vector image - wmf, pict, eps, ai, cgm. Since I design many graphics in Serif software, images don't convert as well in Hijaak Pro.

Also, I need the ability to batch convert color raster images into color vector images with excellent results. ) It would also be nice to apply various effects to images when they're being converted, like two tone coloring, image resize, add borders/frames, remove specific colors, use color presets, add visible copyright information or other text, generate a contact sheet from several vector images, etc. (I'm sure there's a lot more if I think about it long enough.) With all these extra features, you might end up skipping version 8 and offering version 9!!

Thanks for your consideration!

Old 28th April 2003, 06:26 AM   #19
Dave Harris

"Use image shape" - would that be similar to right-click, "Insert HotSpot Object"?

"More stability" - is DrawPlus 7 better in this respect than 6?

Old 28th April 2003, 08:32 PM   #20
Barry A Kintner

Good day -
-- I may have to broaden my terminology thinking - in CorelDRAW when you are making an image map you can click on a closed shape and the map selection and coordinates will be created for you to insert into HTML and that alone saved me huge amounts of time when dealing with real maps that have unusual shapes with many many possible nodes.
-- If there is an option for that in DrawPlus I'll have to look for it in other terms - "insert hotspot object" - if that is the way to do it in DP I'll be thrilled.
-- Thank you.