Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 27th May 2014, 05:52 PM   #1
sb4

sb4 is on a distinguished road
Default Pixelated EPS import - running out of ideas.

If anyone knows a workaround for pixelated import of EPS image files in PagePlus 4.01 I'd be grateful for the info.

I have a scanned (or tablet written, can't remember) image of some handwritten text. Using Photoshop 4.0 (ancient versions here), I have found that if I export it as an EPS file, PagePlus 4.01 will import it and make the background transparent. It is the only way I've found to get a transparent background instead of the white background of the original image.

The problem is that the image is very pixelated, and also prints very pixelated. I've tried as many suggestions as I can find on these forums, but often my PagePlus version does not seem to support various options mentioned (such as "Place as raster", etc.).

I have tried increasing the resolution of the EPS image and it has no effect on the imported image in PagePlus -- so it seems to be a process that PagePlus is doing causing pixelation.

I've tried linking to the image instead of embedding, etc.

If I make a JPG version of the same image file, it imports with nice, high-resolution -- no pixelation. But then I lose the transparency. I've tried many other file formats also and can't get transparent background.

I'm not sure why EPS defaults to a transparent background since the original graphic is a single layer with white background. Perhaps Photoshop 4.0 converts white to a transparent channel during EPS export. There is no control I have (to my knowledge) during saving or importing the image. Any options that seem relevant are grayed out.

I know this is legacy stuff I'm using, but except for this issue, these programs are still very useful for the level of use I have.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 27th May 2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pixelated EPS import - running out of ideas.

Yes, I don't know why anyone is still using such an old version of PagePlus — you could have had PPX6 for £10 until yesterday, and it's only £20 today.

IrfanView will open EPS files — it uses Ghostscript to convert it to a bitmap. The resolution can be set in Options, Plugins, Postscript.

Zip your EPS file and attach it to the forum if you want us to take a look at it, and see if later versions of PagePlus can do a better job of opening it.

Here, the one's that I have open as vector images, which are sharp at any resolution.

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 27th May 2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 27th May 2014, 07:22 PM   #3
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb4 View Post
If anyone knows a workaround for pixelated import of EPS image files in PagePlus 4.01 I'd be grateful for the info.

I have a scanned (or tablet written, can't remember) image of some handwritten text. Using Photoshop 4.0 (ancient versions here), I have found that if I export it as an EPS file, PagePlus 4.01 will import it and make the background transparent. It is the only way I've found to get a transparent background instead of the white background of the original image.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
IrfanView will open EPS files — it uses Ghostscript to convert it to a bitmap. The resolution can be set in Options, Plugins, Postscript.
Do you need to use old existing scans, or can you re-scan the images?

IrfanView will scan the images and export in any file format you prefer.

PagePlus 4 may have been released during the silly USA patent squabbles about the GIF format. I do not remember which file formats it supported.

GIF and PNG support transparency, as do some of the other formats. JPEG does not support transparency.

If you are able to re-scan your images, I suggest trying the GIF or PNG formats (if PagePlus 4 supports these). Support for these file formats is likely to continue.

TIF might be worth trying, but may result in large files.

-----

Alternatively, if your scans are already in a PhotoShop file format, what export formats does your version of PhotoShop offer?

Again, Irfanview may be able to open the original PhotoShop file and convert it into something useful. Newer versions of PagePlus can open some PhotoShop files directly.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 15063, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 27th May 2014, 07:45 PM   #4
sb4

Hi RichardS: thanks for the reply. I don't have the original hard copy, just the image file.

Photoshop 4.0 can save in the following formats (but maybe out-of-date):

Photoshop (PSD,PDD)
Amiga IFF (IFF)
BMP (BMP,RLE)
Photoshop EPS (EPS)
JPEG (JPG,JPE)
PCX (PCX)
PDF (PDF)
PICT (PCT, PIC)
Pixar (PXR)
PNG (PNG)
Targa (TGA,VDA,ICB,VST)
TIFF (TIF)

I've tried most but only EPS so far has the transparent background.

I'm a diehard about updating certain programs even if cheap (unless free) that I consider "utilities" rather than mainstream tools, because I have hundreds that I use occasionally. So I check for workarounds first.

I'll try some of these good suggestions.
Old 27th May 2014, 07:47 PM   #5
sb4

Quote:
Yes, I don't know why anyone is still using such an old version of PagePlus — you could have had PPX6 for £10 until yesterday, and it's only £20 today.

Zip your EPS file and attach it to the forum if you want us to take a look at it, and see if later versions of PagePlus can do a better job of opening it.

Here, the one's that I have open as vector images, which are sharp at any resolution.
Thanks for those tips I'll look into them.

I see a "free starter version" of PagePlus, would that be useful, or is it restricted in some way?
Old 27th May 2014, 08:53 PM   #6
sb4

Quote:

Here is the EPS file I'm having trouble with. I would be interested if anyone can import it and overlay it on top of another image as a transparent background so the writing appears superimposed on the other image.

Regards,

-SB
Attached Files
File Type: zip TreasureCoverBackHandwritingOnly.zip (198.1 KB, 106 views)
Old 27th May 2014, 09:16 PM   #7
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

It doesn't have any transparency. When the EPS is opened in IrfanView, the background is white, but with artefacts in other near-white pixels, like a typical JPG scan.

To get a true transparent background the only way is to use a flood fill tool with tolerance from IrfanPaint plugin and then save it as a PNG. PagePlus has a transparency picker, but it will only pick one colour, leaving the artefacts not-transparent.

I attach the result saved from IrfanView. Try it yourself to find out how to do it or if you need to improve on my effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TreasureCoverBackHandwritingOnly.png
Views:	174
Size:	730.4 KB
ID:	47608  
Old 27th May 2014, 09:47 PM   #8
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If I make a JPG version of the same image file, it imports with nice, high-resolution -- no pixelation. But then I lose the transparency. I've tried many other file formats also and can't get transparent background.
Can't you use that, and use Format/Picture/Picture Transparency in PagePlus?

Or export from PP as a PNG

Geoff
Old 27th May 2014, 09:50 PM   #9
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Blanthorn View Post
Can't you use that, and use Format/Picture/Picture Transparency in PagePlus?
It won't work, for the reasons already explained.
Old 28th May 2014, 12:09 AM   #10
sb4

Quote:
It doesn't have any transparency. When the EPS is opened in IrfanView, the background is white, but with artefacts in other near-white pixels, like a typical JPG scan.

To get a true transparent background the only way is to use a flood fill tool with tolerance from IrfanPaint plugin and then save it as a PNG. PagePlus has a transparency picker, but it will only pick one colour, leaving the artefacts not-transparent.

I attach the result saved from IrfanView. Try it yourself to find out how to do it or if you need to improve on my effort.
Thank you -- I did not know how to analyze the file. The ironic thing is that my PagePlus 4.0 automatically creates transparency for the white background, but then uses the blocky pixels. Perhaps the transparency was just an accidental "feature" that wasn't supposed to be there.

I'm not aware of how to "flood-fill" a color to transparency in my Photoshop 4.0, so thanks for doing that. I downloaded IrfanView for future learning and use.

Do you think PagePlus 4.0 has the "transparency picker" feature?

Regards,

SB
Old 28th May 2014, 12:20 AM   #11
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Do you think PagePlus 4.0 has the "transparency picker" feature?
PP4 may well have a transparency picker, but if it does it will be the same as the one in more recent versions of PP: as Bhikkhu Pesala indicated, it will only pick one colour (i.e. a single RGB value) leaving similarly coloured artefacts non-transparent.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 28th May 2014, 12:22 AM   #12
sb4

Quote:

I clicked on your embedded picture and saved the image as a PNG file, then imported it using PagePlus 4.0. All I can achieve is the same view as with a web browser -- black background with white-outlined letters. Probably something I don't understand about the process.

-SB
Old 28th May 2014, 12:37 AM   #13
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
I clicked on your embedded picture and saved the image as a PNG file, then imported it using PagePlus 4.0. All I can achieve is the same view as with a web browser -- black background with white-outlined letters. Probably something I don't understand about the process.

-SB
I get a grey background when I open Pesala's file in IrfanView, but I get a transparent background in PPX5 and a white background in my browser. What browser are you using?

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 28th May 2014, 01:07 AM   #14
sb4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
I get a grey background when I open Pesala's file in IrfanView, but I get a transparent background in PPX5 and a white background in my browser. What browser are you using?

Alfred
I was using Chrome Version 35.0.1916.114 m.

I just tried FireFox 29.0.1 and clicking the embedded picture looks OK -- black text on gray background.

But when I import it into my PagePlus 4.0 document, it looks like the Chrome image. I'll attach a screen-shot of the Chrome view.

-SB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ChromeEPSview.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	47610  
Old 28th May 2014, 01:17 AM   #15
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Try this.

Geoff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	treas.gif
Views:	171
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	47611   Click image for larger version

Name:	treas3.gif
Views:	181
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	47613  

Last edited by Geoff Blanthorn; 28th May 2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 28th May 2014, 01:19 AM   #16
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

What kind of vector files does this ancient PP accept? But I have a vector version, too.

In any case, here is a PNG image.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TreasureCoverBackHandwritingOnly.zip (396.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 28th May 2014, 01:39 AM   #17
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Very good, Mike! You win!

Geoff
Old 28th May 2014, 01:42 AM   #18
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

Thanks, Geoff.

I have a vector EPS, a PDF, an SMF, an SVG and, well, whatever else could be used. Just don't know what PP 4 can accept.
Old 28th May 2014, 02:12 AM   #19
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
Thanks, Geoff.

I have a vector EPS, a PDF, an SMF, an SVG and, well, whatever else could be used. Just don't know what PP 4 can accept.
X4 cannot use SVG, but the others should work, but I'm not sure how good the EPS import is.

Geoff
Old 28th May 2014, 02:17 AM   #20
ericlnz

ericlnz is just really niceericlnz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
I get a grey background when I open Pesala's file in IrfanView,
That's probably because your Window Colour is set to grey in Options/Properties/Settings/Viewing?