Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 22nd May 2014, 06:36 PM   #1
helander

helander is on a distinguished road
Default print sample color swatch?

Is there any way to print the sample palette color swatches (Candy, Cold, Earth, etc.) that appear on screen under the COLOR tab?? Would be great to have as a reference for my particular printer setup. Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: print sample color swatch?

Print Screen or FastStone Capture or similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Candy.png
Views:	153
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	47541  
Old 22nd May 2014, 08:21 PM   #3
helander

helander is on a distinguished road

Thanks, but I really need more than a screen capture... I want to print an actual color sample swatch of each palette directly from the PagePlus program so that I have an idea what the sample color blocks in each palette look like when printed on my system.
Old 22nd May 2014, 08:31 PM   #4
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

I don't see any difference here between printing the screen shot, and printing an actual colour sample swatch applied to a quick shape. If you want a bigger sample, just resize it without resampling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Warmth.png
Views:	155
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	47542  
Old 25th May 2014, 12:40 AM   #5
Bill Schuhle

Bill Schuhle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by helander View Post
Is there any way to print the sample palette color swatches (Candy, Cold, Earth, etc.) that appear on screen under the COLOR tab?? Would be great to have as a reference for my particular printer setup. Thanks
Have a look at this thread: http://forums.serif.com/showthread.p...color+swatches I attached a PP file for printing the standard RGB palette. You could re-color it with colors from other palettes as well.

Desktop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 3GHz Pentium 4, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 4GB ReadyBoost
Laptop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 1.9GHz Athalon X2 QL-60, 3GB RAM, 128GB SSD
Old 25th May 2014, 12:42 AM   #6
Bill Schuhle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
I don't see any difference here between printing the screen shot, and printing an actual colour sample swatch applied to a quick shape. If you want a bigger sample, just resize it without resampling.
I haven't done a test for this specifically, but don't printer drivers often handle colors in a bitmap differently from colors in a vector shape?

Desktop: Win7 Home Premium SP1, 3GHz Pentium 4, 2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 4GB ReadyBoost
Old 25th May 2014, 01:06 AM   #7
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

@Bill,

No, not technically. Color number values are color number values regardless of their source (vector or image).
Old 25th May 2014, 02:21 AM   #8
Bill Schuhle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
@Bill,

No, not technically. Color number values are color number values regardless of their source (vector or image).
That is obviously true, Mike, but I can swear I've seen different output of the same value from desktop inkjets of identically coded bitmap and vector objects. I'll have to do some tests and see if I can corroborate my own contention.

Old 25th May 2014, 02:33 AM   #9
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

If the vector is RGB and the image is RGB, it should be the same. Correspondingly, if the vector is CMYK and the bitmap is CMYK, the values will hold. Publish to PDF and check in Acrobat.

Of course, for comparative purposes, simple images are needed, or something with a large enough area of a single value to check.

In the screen shot below, the decimals were rounded differently. If this was a real job and was as expected, I would go to print.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	capture-001517.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	47565  
Old 25th May 2014, 02:36 AM   #10
MikeW

Oh...I guess the point to be made is that the proper values were passed from PP to PDF. What a particular consumer-grade printer does with that data is probably another thing.

I know to my Xerox Phaser (which is still a consumer-grade printer), I couldn't visually tell the difference between that area on the image to the vector rectangle when I printed the PDF.
Old 25th May 2014, 04:02 AM   #11
Bill Schuhle

I did do a test by printing my swatches file referenced in an earlier link and then taking a screen shot of that PP swatches page, placing it in PP, and printing that. There were a few minor but detectable differences on a few swatches, but most were virtually indistinguishable. Seems I've seen threads in the past where issues have arisen when something overlays a vector object such that the underlying area gets rasterized in a generated PDF, or in the printing process, and the color prints differently in that area...

Old 25th May 2014, 07:16 AM   #12
MikeW

The difference you see is likely a conversion difference. That is, the screen shot is rgb, the swatches likely CMYK. In any case, the swatches are displayed using rgb on the monitor whatever their component makeup. They are going to have different values from the screen shot.

In the other instance you mention, on can still get matching values and get a correspondingly correct print. But one has to know what is going on, what is going to happen in the PDF, and be using the same color models in the image overlaid on the vector else it will not come out correct.
Old 25th May 2014, 02:40 PM   #13
Bill Schuhle

Quote:
The difference you see is likely a conversion difference. That is, the screen shot is rgb, the swatches likely CMYK. In any case, the swatches are displayed using rgb on the monitor whatever their component makeup. They are going to have different values from the screen shot.
Well, my PagePlus file is a matrix of the Standard RGB palette, so those colors were being printed from RGB definitions also.

Old 25th May 2014, 03:03 PM   #14
MikeW

Still, the color definitions in the swatches are somewhat different than their display, which depends upon how your monitor's driver decides to display those color values.

With much of RGB being far out of gamut to what your printer can actually print, there will always be something lost in translation.

(Aside from the fact that something destined for print ought not to be designed with RGB color...)
Old 25th May 2014, 04:46 PM   #15
MikeW

An example of what I was yakking about in the above post. Should be clearly explained...but I am also holding my 4-month old grandson...

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	capture-001521.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	47575  
Old 25th May 2014, 05:29 PM   #16
Bill Schuhle

Quote:
Still, the color definitions in the swatches are somewhat different than their display, which depends upon how your monitor's driver decides to display those color values.

With much of RGB being far out of gamut to what your printer can actually print, there will always be something lost in translation.

(Aside from the fact that something destined for print ought not to be designed with RGB color...)
I think both the OP and I are talking about printed swatches to use in designing for output to our desktop printers, in which case I believe designing in RGB is not an issue since what we see on the printed swatches is what we'll get in the final product.

Old 25th May 2014, 05:41 PM   #17
MikeW

There isn't a printer made that can output the full rgb spectrum, commercial or otherwise. It does give one an indication of how color will be treated by a particular printer. But only that printer.

With the last couple posts I was attempting to demonstrate the issue you brought up concerning comparing filling something with a swatch color and comparing it to a screen shot of those filled objects.

In any case, call it thread drift.