Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > WebPlus

Notices

WebPlus Questions about using WebPlus for website design

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Heyjoojoo
Regular Member
 
Heyjoojoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sacramento, United States
Posts: 107
Heyjoojoo is on a distinguished road
Default Custom search button & form validation...

Just wondering if these commonly sought options were addressed in X7.

Can you use a custom search button instead of the standard search button when adding a search field to your site?

Lastly, I've seen that forms can be more customized to your site. Specifically it just means that you pick from a variety of themes. But what about validation? If someone doesn't complete the form correctly, can I add customizable validation error msgs to form? Like red text that says something like "must complete this field".
__________________
Kareem L.
Seismology | Information Services | Graphic Web Design | Photography
Heyjoojoo is offline  
Old 26th November 2013, 06:30 AM   #2
Ali
Guru
 
Ali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rushmere St Andrew, Ipswich, Suffolk, UK
Posts: 23,983
Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyjoojoo View Post
Just wondering if these commonly sought options were addressed in X7.

Can you use a custom search button instead of the standard search button when adding a search field to your site?

Lastly, I've seen that forms can be more customized to your site. Specifically it just means that you pick from a variety of themes. But what about validation? If someone doesn't complete the form correctly, can I add customizable validation error msgs to form? Like red text that says something like "must complete this field".
Were these "commonly sought options" ever added to the X7 wishlist?

I don't believe that search has changed since X6, but I have only had the software a few days.

Validation on forms has been possible for several versions now - what is it that you don't like about it?
__________________
Ali
Win 10 64-bit | Toshiba Laptop with Intel Core i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz & 16GB RAM
Win 10 Pro 64-bit | Samsung Laptop with Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz & 8GB RAM

Ali is offline  
Old 26th November 2013, 06:36 AM   #3
Heyjoojoo
Regular Member
 
Heyjoojoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sacramento, United States
Posts: 107
Heyjoojoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Were these "commonly sought options" ever added to the X7 wishlist?

I don't believe that search has changed since X6, but I have only had the software a few days.

Validation on forms has been possible for several versions now - what is it that you don't like about it?
Well I like a lot about X7. But these items have been posted superfluously throughout the forum. I take it, the answer is 'no'?

Custom Search button: I believe a "work around" has been a solution to the problem of not having a custom search button since X4. Do we still have to resort to that workaround is there a more easier way of achieving this?
__________________
Kareem L.
Seismology | Information Services | Graphic Web Design | Photography
Heyjoojoo is offline  
Old 26th November 2013, 06:40 AM   #4
Ali
Guru
 
Ali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rushmere St Andrew, Ipswich, Suffolk, UK
Posts: 23,983
Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyjoojoo View Post
Well I like a lot about X7. But these items have been posted superfluously throughout the forum. I take it, the answer is 'no'?

Custom Search button: I believe a "work around" has been a solution to the problem of not having a custom search button since X4. Do we still have to resort to that workaround is there a more easier way of achieving this?

I can't answer the search button question, I'm afraid, but I still don't understand what problem you are having with the validation available in WP for forms. You can set error messages - what is it about it that you don't find satisfactory?
__________________
Ali
Win 10 64-bit | Toshiba Laptop with Intel Core i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz & 16GB RAM
Win 10 Pro 64-bit | Samsung Laptop with Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz & 8GB RAM

Ali is offline  
Old 26th November 2013, 09:31 AM   #5
AlfredP
Guru
 
AlfredP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 26,444
AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post

I can't answer the search button question, I'm afraid, but I still don't understand what problem you are having with the validation available in WP for forms. You can set error messages - what is it about it that you don't find satisfactory?
From Kareem's previous posts about this, I would guess that he wants 'onblur' validation rather than 'onsubmit' validation: in other words, red error messages as you tab away from a form field which has not been completed correctly, instead of a series of error messages when you press the 'Submit' button.

Alfred
__________________
Windows 10® Home 64-bit; Intel® Core™ i3-4010U CPU; 4GB DDR3L RAM; Intel® HD Graphics 4400
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
AlfredP is offline  
Old 27th November 2013, 03:58 AM   #6
Heyjoojoo
Regular Member
 
Heyjoojoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sacramento, United States
Posts: 107
Heyjoojoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post

I can't answer the search button question, I'm afraid, but I still don't understand what problem you are having with the validation available in WP for forms. You can set error messages - what is it about it that you don't find satisfactory?
I was just wondering if it was possible to add features to a form where if someone doesn't complete the entire form but then clicked submit, would I be able to add error messages like "please complete this field". And if so, could I make this error message in a custom color like red?
__________________
Kareem L.
Seismology | Information Services | Graphic Web Design | Photography
Heyjoojoo is offline  
Old 27th November 2013, 03:59 AM   #7
Heyjoojoo
Regular Member
 
Heyjoojoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sacramento, United States
Posts: 107
Heyjoojoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

I havent built a form using X7, so I don't know if this is possible in X7. I have done so in X6 but this feature was not possible in that version.
__________________
Kareem L.
Seismology | Information Services | Graphic Web Design | Photography
Heyjoojoo is offline  
Old 27th November 2013, 04:13 AM   #8
Archibald
Master
 
Archibald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Posts: 14,386
Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyjoojoo View Post
I havent built a form using X7, so I don't know if this is possible in X7. I have done so in X6 but this feature was not possible in that version.
Since at least WebPlus 10 you have been able to provide custom validation text such as "Please enter your phone number" which appears in an alert box.

You are being rather vague about what you want. When there is validation failure, do you want the red text to appear beside each edit box or text area? If so that cannot be done in WebPlus X7 without custom code. Do you want it to appear 'onblur', as guessed by Alfred, or on form submission? If you want it on form submission, there is the option of using the full version of Forms To Go (if your hosting supports PHP).
__________________
Archibald
Archibald is offline  
Old 27th November 2013, 05:08 AM   #9
Heyjoojoo
Regular Member
 
Heyjoojoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sacramento, United States
Posts: 107
Heyjoojoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
From Kareem's previous posts about this, I would guess that he wants 'onblur' validation rather than 'onsubmit' validation: in other words, red error messages as you tab away from a form field which has not been completed correctly, instead of a series of error messages when you press the 'Submit' button.

Alfred
Actually, I didn't see Alfred's post. Thanks for your post here. Bingo. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
__________________
Kareem L.
Seismology | Information Services | Graphic Web Design | Photography
Heyjoojoo is offline  
Old 22nd December 2013, 06:47 PM   #10
Heyjoojoo
Regular Member
 
Heyjoojoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sacramento, United States
Posts: 107
Heyjoojoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
Since at least WebPlus 10 you have been able to provide custom validation text such as "Please enter your phone number" which appears in an alert box.

You are being rather vague about what you want. When there is validation failure, do you want the red text to appear beside each edit box or text area? If so that cannot be done in WebPlus X7 without custom code. Do you want it to appear 'onblur', as guessed by Alfred, or on form submission? If you want it on form submission, there is the option of using the full version of Forms To Go (if your hosting supports PHP).
I apologize for the vagueness. 'Onblur' seems like it would be sufficient enough without using custom code.
__________________
Kareem L.
Seismology | Information Services | Graphic Web Design | Photography
Heyjoojoo is offline  
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:01 AM   #11
Clitheroe Kid
Senior Member
 
Clitheroe Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 2,758
Clitheroe Kid has much to be proud ofClitheroe Kid has much to be proud ofClitheroe Kid has much to be proud of
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyjoojoo View Post
I apologize for the vagueness. 'Onblur' seems like it would be sufficient enough without using custom code.
To get onblur validation just use check the "Required" checkbox of each element. Of course, with this being HTML5, it wont function in every browser.

Joe
Clitheroe Kid is offline  
Old 23rd December 2013, 10:12 AM   #12
Archibald
Master
 
Archibald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Posts: 14,386
Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clitheroe Kid View Post
To get onblur validation just use check the "Required" checkbox of each element. Of course, with this being HTML5, it wont function in every browser.
I see WebPlus X7 now does validation on blur but you get an alert box appear. I doubt it's using new HTML5 features.

I don't see a way of getting red text to appear as Kareem wants on blur (except by custom code).
__________________
Archibald
Archibald is offline  
Old 23rd December 2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Clitheroe Kid
Senior Member
 
Clitheroe Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 2,758
Clitheroe Kid has much to be proud ofClitheroe Kid has much to be proud ofClitheroe Kid has much to be proud of
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
I see WebPlus X7 now does validation on blur but you get an alert box appear. I doubt it's using new HTML5 features.

I don't see a way of getting red text to appear as Kareem wants on blur (except by custom code).
If you create a form and add required __AddCode="here" to an editbox or other element via html, preview in firefox, click submit, and you will get the red border and tooltip.

Ticking required in the element properties is apparently not the same attribute.

See attached file.

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: wpp RequiredDemo.wpp (12.9 KB, 199 views)

Last edited by Clitheroe Kid; 23rd December 2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: click submit added
Clitheroe Kid is offline  
Old 23rd December 2013, 01:24 PM   #14
Archibald
Master
 
Archibald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Posts: 14,386
Archibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvanaArchibald has a reputation approching nirvana
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clitheroe Kid View Post
If you create a form and add required __AddCode="here" to an editbox or other element via html, preview in firefox, click submit, and you will get the red border and tooltip.
Thanks Joe,

Kareem wants a customisable message but it seems you can't with that HTML5.

If I wanted to do this, I would probably put my custom error messages on hidden WebPlus panels and use JavaScript to make them visible when appropriate. That could look really smart and the error messages could show prominently.
__________________
Archibald
Archibald is offline  
Old 24th December 2013, 06:34 PM   #15
Heyjoojoo
Regular Member
 
Heyjoojoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sacramento, United States
Posts: 107
Heyjoojoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

I thought that the 'onblur' would be sufficient but after seeing it, I didn't like it. I'm not a fan of the standard form "error popups". But I really like the idea, of the red border and tool tips. Not sure why Serif won't add such a feature to their form building feature; you have to rely on third party sites like Jotform.com.
__________________
Kareem L.
Seismology | Information Services | Graphic Web Design | Photography
Heyjoojoo is offline  
Old 24th December 2013, 06:54 PM   #16
AlfredP
Guru
 
AlfredP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 26,444
AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyjoojoo View Post
I thought that the 'onblur' would be sufficient but after seeing it, I didn't like it.
What didn't you like? If you don't want to use 'onsubmit' form validation, you need to have some means of detecting that the user has finished filling in (or not filling in!) the previous form field.

Alfred
__________________
Windows 10® Home 64-bit; Intel® Core™ i3-4010U CPU; 4GB DDR3L RAM; Intel® HD Graphics 4400
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
AlfredP is offline  
Old 24th December 2013, 07:19 PM   #17
richosr
Senior Member
 
richosr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Thailand. Born and Bred in Norfolk UK
Posts: 1,394
richosr has much to be proud ofrichosr has much to be proud ofrichosr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyjoojoo View Post
I thought that the 'onblur' would be sufficient but after seeing it, I didn't like it. I'm not a fan of the standard form "error popups". But I really like the idea, of the red border and tool tips. Not sure why Serif won't add such a feature to their form building feature; you have to rely on third party sites like Jotform.com.

Would something like this: http://www.richosoft-support.co.uk/fortune/sliding.html be what you are looking for?

regards

Steve
__________________
Others have seen what is and asked "why?" - I have seen what could be and asked "why not?" - Kind words do not cost anything, but they accomplish so much.
RichoSoft|Fortune Design|AlphaBettie|HuaSaiCats|My Blog|Thai Enchantment|iBooker|It is in the bag!|myPHPsite|NEW! hostedme|NEW! iBooker PHP
richosr is offline  
Old 24th December 2013, 07:21 PM   #18
Clitheroe Kid
Senior Member
 
Clitheroe Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 2,758
Clitheroe Kid has much to be proud ofClitheroe Kid has much to be proud ofClitheroe Kid has much to be proud of
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyjoojoo View Post
I thought that the 'onblur' would be sufficient but after seeing it, I didn't like it. I'm not a fan of the standard form "error popups". But I really like the idea, of the red border and tool tips. Not sure why Serif won't add such a feature to their form building feature; you have to rely on third party sites like Jotform.com.
For inputs and textarea's you can use css. This works better if you leave the 'required' checkbox unchecked, and instead enter required into the addCode HTML Source of each input/textarea.

Paste the following into page stylesheet

HTML Code:
input:not(focus):required:invalid {border: solid red 2px; color: red;}
input:required:valid {border: solid blue 2px; color: black; }

textarea:not(focus):required:invalid {border: solid red 2px; color: red;}
textarea:required:valid {border: solid blue 2px; color: black; }
Change the boder colours and thicknesses as required.

Joe
Clitheroe Kid is offline  
Old 27th June 2014, 04:59 PM   #19
iansyer
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
iansyer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Archibald,

Like the idea of the panel , what javascript would you use to activate the panel ?

Could you also use a slider and panels within to display the relevant error meesages ?
iansyer is offline  
Old 29th June 2014, 11:48 AM   #20
AlfredP
Guru
 
AlfredP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 26,444
AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Custom search button & form validation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansyer View Post
Archibald,

Like the idea of the panel , what javascript would you use to activate the panel ?

Could you also use a slider and panels within to display the relevant error meesages ?
These forums will be closing to new posts after tomorrow, and it will therefore not be possible to conduct any followup discussion here. I would have suggested that you post your question on the CommunityPlus forum, but Archibald has indicated that he does not intend to participate there, so you might have better luck posting to Fully Pixel.

Alfred
__________________
Windows 10® Home 64-bit; Intel® Core™ i3-4010U CPU; 4GB DDR3L RAM; Intel® HD Graphics 4400
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
AlfredP is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WebPlus X7: E-Commerce Form with Validation and Custom HTML folivio WebPlus 1 22nd November 2013 10:17 PM
WebPlus X6: Form - Radio Button - Validation Danna WebPlus 8 3rd September 2013 07:26 PM
WebPlus X6: Custom search box and button? Unique Reaper WebPlus 3 11th March 2013 11:16 AM
WebPlus X4: Custom Search Button works in IE but not FF Julie W WebPlus 2 10th June 2010 03:38 PM
Custom Search Button irfan WebPlus 14 23rd July 2009 10:51 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:44 PM.