Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 20th November 2013, 07:31 PM   #1
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default WebPlus X8 - Wishlist #1

Please add your wishes for WebPlus X8 in this thread.

Thanks.
Old 26th November 2013, 10:02 AM   #2
KG_iT

KG_iT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WebPlus X8 - Wishlist #1

- Use Links as a script to pass parameters e.g. in Mail-Hyperlinks (in formular-field you are able to select this nice feature.) It would be usefull if this works in any fields.

Last edited by KG_iT; 26th November 2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 26th November 2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Einsvinci

Einsvinci is on a distinguished road

Hi
For WebPlus X8, I would like Serif's developers to deal with PHP and MYSQL as far as forms are concerned, always by drag and drop system. I explain ...

Supposing that I want to create a form that collects online: distributors' name, telephones, emails and cities on a page. Once the form is correctly filled and sent, a customisable message appears: for instance, "Successfully sent !". The data then go and stock in each line of the fields of the table of a MYSQL database previously created.

On a second editable page, I would like to have the possibility to display, as I want, the data from the fields I will select from the table of the database.

So to make it, Serif's developers will have to :

- Give the possibility to create MYSQL database(s) with table(s) (and edit it : copy, modify, drop, import, export, empty ...) or a similar database.

- Give the possibility to connect to this database created (PHP PDO MYSQL) through a editable external connection file (eg: connection.php (TCP/IP, database name, password).

- Give the possibility to select which table or fields of a table to be displayed in a page and the way to display it (single, loop).

- In case the data have to be displayed in loop, give the possibility to define the number of lines to be displayed by page automatically generated with a editable hyperlinked numbers which target the different pages.

- Give the possibility to add the generated pages a button whose link can target any page of the website or elsewhere in Internet

For the form concerning emails, give the possibility to add email(s) and redirect them to those emails addresses without using Serif Web Ressources, just by indicating the following parametres: TCP/IP, database name, password.

Thank you.

Roland Einsvinci
Old 27th November 2013, 01:29 PM   #4
KG_iT

KG_iT is on a distinguished road

- sripting in the header definition
- fully customizing header

e.g.
<title><?php set_custom_title(); ?></title>
Old 1st December 2013, 01:00 PM   #5
holbrookp

holbrookp is on a distinguished road

Text wrap around objects and pictures, including irregularly shaped objects. Text flow from one column others of our choosing.
Old 1st December 2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

1. Footnotes/Endnotes
  2. APNG support
  3. WebP support
  4. SVG support
  5. Site Properties Image Default: Use original image and Filename, do not resample. I carefully optimise my images for the Web, so don't mess with them.
  6. WOFF fonts with @fontface for non websafe fonts (NetObjects Fusion 2013 supports Web Fonts)
  7. Save as package
  8. “Do not Publish” page property for pages still in draft mode. Page is excluded when publishing all pages.

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26th December 2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 15th December 2013, 05:29 PM   #7
4d00

4d00 is on a distinguished road

to have the ability to embed fonts from google fonts etc in an easy way instead of having to rely on web safe fonts.

Last edited by AlfredP; 15th December 2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Post moved from PagePlus X8 wishlist
Old 20th December 2013, 02:04 PM   #8
BobSchecter

BobSchecter is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbrookp View Post
Text wrap around objects and pictures, including irregularly shaped objects. Text flow from one column others of our choosing.
Yes, please!!!
Old 26th December 2013, 03:33 PM   #9
PeterPanino

PeterPanino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbrookp View Post
You have seen this in Xara Designer Pro, admit it!
Old 26th December 2013, 03:44 PM   #10
PeterPanino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einsvinci View Post
For WebPlus X8, I would like Serif's developers to deal with PHP and MYSQL as far as forms are concerned, always by drag and drop system.
Serif could integrate something like PHPMaker in WebPlus. I would be happy to pay 30 - 50 Euro more for WebPlus in this case!
Old 26th December 2013, 04:10 PM   #11
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPanino View Post
Serif could integrate something like PHPMaker in WebPlus. I would be happy to pay 30 - 50 Euro more for WebPlus in this case!
Given that PHPMaker costs US$199.95 on its own, anyone who wants the same functionality would be happy to pay €30 to €50 ($40 to $70) for it! However, users who don't need or want that functionality would not be happy about being asked to pay so much extra, just to fund the cost for those who do.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 26th December 2013, 04:21 PM   #12
PeterPanino

Alfred, that was just a random number. Anyway, when integrating something like this in an other application, of course only an essential part of the functionality will be integrated. So there is still a big difference between the original PHPMaker and the addin in WebPlus.
Old 26th December 2013, 04:35 PM   #13
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPanino View Post
Alfred, that was just a random number. Anyway, when integrating something like this in an other application, of course only an essential part of the functionality will be integrated. So there is still a big difference between the original PHPMaker and the addin in WebPlus.
Thanks, Peter, but the fact remains that not everyone will want the extra functionality, and they would therefore not be willing to pay an extra 70% for it. This would make WebPlus more expensive for everyone else.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 26th December 2013, 08:52 PM   #14
PeterPanino

Alfred, that's why I always preach that Serif should create an addin interface, so people who are not interested in this functionality could pay a lower price by purchasing only the essential core program with no plugins.

But I have to tell you that database connectivity through a transparent PHP layer, especially when it is presented with an easy everybody-can-do-it user interface, is NOT a "niche market". It is plain and clearly MAINSTREAM. (Of course, if you would sell the program only at petrol stations or in penny-markets, then it would be a niche market...)
Old 30th December 2013, 06:49 PM   #15
lewaw

lewaw is on a distinguished road

move my post in PP

Last edited by lewaw; 30th December 2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 3rd January 2014, 01:47 PM   #16
Einsvinci

Einsvinci is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody.

Yes, PeterPanino. Something like PHPMaker.

I understand the fears from AlfredP. But today, Serif's database included in WebPlus is no more sufficient when it comes to dealing with dynamic websites. Having the possibility to display data from a database like MYSQL through PHP is very crucial to make much more dynamic websites we make with WebPlus. That's why I think that something like PHPMaker as proposed by PeterPanino is quite interesting. The dilemma for Serif is to add this while maintaining the software's current price.

In this vision, I think that users who need this option and those who don't need it will both be glad, all the more so since the price remains unchanged. And I think Serif is so clever to overcome this dilemma. Thank you very much to both of you : PeterPanino and AlfredP.

Roland Einsvinci
Old 9th April 2014, 03:48 PM   #17
rlewis@indinfer.com

rlewis@indinfer.com is on a distinguished road

A Serif Javascript Editor as a separate product from WebPlus but that could be invoked from WebPlus and works with WebPlus.

The Serif Javascript Editor would have two modes: A "training wheels" mode (like a child learning to ride a bike has training wheels), and an advanced mode.

The training wheels mode would be for someone who has never written Javascript or who has not written Javascript for a long time. In training wheels mode the programmer would indicate what he or she wants to do through menus or other means, and the editor would present a form (or other means) to fill in specific variable names, function names, etc. Then the editor would insert the code.

The advanced mode would allow the programmer to code more quickly because the training wheels would be out of the way. The advanced mode would still validate the code written when the programmer clicks a button. The advanced mode expects the programmer to know how to write Javascript.

The programmer should be able to switch between training wheels mode and advanced mode. Thus, the programmer could need a little help while writing Javascript in advanced mode. So, the programmer would switch to training wheels mode automatically being at the same place in the Javascript code as in advanced mode. And vice versa, the programmer can switch to advanced mode and continue programming.

If not too difficult to implement, the editor should start a browser in debug mode to debug the Javascript.

When the Javascript works properly, the programmer can close the editor with the Javascript inserted into the HTML in WebPlus.
Old 13th April 2014, 10:25 PM   #18
strummer

strummer is on a distinguished road

my wishlist is very short, but i think is very important. what i would love to see is a seo website checker,just like the built in site checker. thank you
Old 16th April 2014, 02:13 PM   #19
Owl549

Owl549 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummer View Post
my wishlist is very short, but i think is very important. what i would love to see is a seo website checker,just like the built in site checker. thank you
Totally agree with this...would on my wishlist as well
Old 17th April 2014, 08:26 AM   #20
strummer

strummer is on a distinguished road

in fact i would pay extra for it,imagine the benefits to all the users????