Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Older Software > Digital Scrapbook Artist

Notices

Digital Scrapbook Artist Digital Scrapbooking Software

Old 27th July 2013, 07:34 PM   #21
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Can't Install DSA2 - Help Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtn View Post
I thought to run a Win-doze program on an Apple computer, you ran a Windows emulator - not Windows itself?
Hi David,

I used to think that too, but it seems that the alternatives to Apple's 'Boot Camp' multi-boot feature are all just virtual environments in which you can install and run Windoze. For more insight, please see my post here where I quoted some relevant detail from Mac devotee Frank B.

Regards,
Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 28th July 2013, 05:25 PM   #22
William

William is just really niceWilliam is just really nice

If you cannot install DSA after an uninstall, it is almost certainly a rouge registry entry that is causing the problem, you need to do this:

Make sure you have uninstalled DSA.

Go into the Windows folder, and scroll down until you see an icon for a program called "Regedit".

Double click to start it.

click on the little + sign in front of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER".

Look down the list and double click on the word "Software".

Again scroll down the list until you see the word "Serif", then click on the little +sign in front of the word.

Scroll down the new list and right click on any folder entry for DSA/2, then click on delete to remove the (entire folder) reg entry.

Now use the slider on the right of the list and move it back to the top.....You should now see the entry for "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" which will have a minus - sign in front of it. Click on that to close that section.

Now use the same procedure to open "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", and follow exactly the same format as before to remove any DSA/2 entries from the list.

Close Regedit and try to install DSA again.
Old 28th July 2013, 06:25 PM   #23
alspar

alspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Go into the Windows folder, and scroll down until you see an icon for a program called "Regedit".
Or just click 'Start' and 'Run' and type 'regedit' ENTER.
Old 28th July 2013, 06:45 PM   #24
djtn

djtn is on a distinguished road

2013/07/28
Hi William,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I went into Control Panel and looked for DSA2 to make sure that it was uninstalled (because now I've tried to install it again a few times, but it has failed to re-install) and I didn't see it listed. I've also run CCleaner and Registry Mechanic to try and remove any trace of the failed installs.

So I followed your instructions and removed the registry keys from Current User and Local Machine and tried the install again.

I had high hopes when I had to enter the Product Key again, so I knew that it was a "fresh" install. But it still failed. I'll upload the error screen.

Now I'm wondering - could it be a problem with my Product Key???? I'm wondering if I should contact Serif Customer Service tomorrow about that.

Thanks, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSA2_Install_ERROR.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	43138  
Old 28th July 2013, 06:46 PM   #25
djtn

2013/07/28
Hi Alan,

Thanks for your suggestion - that's how I did it.

David
Old 28th July 2013, 07:40 PM   #26
alspar

alspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
2013/07/28

Now I'm wondering - could it be a problem with my Product Key???? I'm wondering if I should contact Serif Customer Service tomorrow about that.

Thanks, David
It is very unlikely to be the Product Key - which is checked on entry.

It is probably either something in the install that is incomplete or a missing Windows or other component.

Are you running this install from a disk or a downloaded file?
Old 28th July 2013, 08:29 PM   #27
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
2013/07/28
Hi William,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I went into Control Panel and looked for DSA2 to make sure that it was uninstalled (because now I've tried to install it again a few times, but it has failed to re-install) and I didn't see it listed. I've also run CCleaner and Registry Mechanic to try and remove any trace of the failed installs.

So I followed your instructions and removed the registry keys from Current User and Local Machine and tried the install again.

I had high hopes when I had to enter the Product Key again, so I knew that it was a "fresh" install. But it still failed. I'll upload the error screen.

Thanks, David
Hi David,

I think you also need to delete a key which you should find in the
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
branch of the registry. I don't have DSA2 installed here, so I don't know the GUID for that particular key, but if you highlight the first key and press the down-arrow on your keyboard to scroll through the list, the product name should show up as the data for the 'DisplayName' value in the right-hand pane.

Alfred
Old 29th July 2013, 04:29 PM   #28
djtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by alspar View Post
It is very unlikely to be the Product Key - which is checked on entry.

It is probably either something in the install that is incomplete or a missing Windows or other component.

Are you running this install from a disk or a downloaded file?
2013/07/29
Hi Alan,

I'm running the install (in this case) from a disk, but the Product Key was printed on the receipt that came with the disk, not on a label that was stuck on the case. BTW this Product Key and every other Product Key from Serif/Daisy Trail that I've received this way (printed on paper and not on a label on the case) has always worked fine.

I've also never had a problem with an install that I've done with a downloaded program either.

An additional note: Since I've had this problem, I've loaded on a few DSA and CA DigiKits and HiJackThis, with no problem.

Thanks, David
Old 29th July 2013, 04:42 PM   #29
djtn

2013/07/29
Hi Mjh,

I downloaded and ran "HijackThis" on my computer. I ran it and generated the report and I found some things that I didn't need anymore and had them fixed.

My computer seems to be loading much faster now, so I'm happy about that. There are some other issues that I want to verify that were fixed, but they are outside the scope of this issue, so I haven't spent any time verifying them yet.

Thank you for your reply and your suggestion.

David
Old 29th July 2013, 05:43 PM   #30
alspar

Quote:
2013/07/29
Hi Alan,

I'm running the install (in this case) from a disk, but the Product Key was printed on the receipt that came with the disk, not on a label that was stuck on the case. BTW this Product Key and every other Product Key from Serif/Daisy Trail that I've received this way (printed on paper and not on a label on the case) has always worked fine.

I've also never had a problem with an install that I've done with a downloaded program either.

An additional note: Since I've had this problem, I've loaded on a few DSA and CA DigiKits and HiJackThis, with no problem.

Thanks, David
Longshot David - Try copying the disk contents to a folder on your hard drive and running the install from there.
Old 30th July 2013, 05:29 AM   #31
djtn

2013/07/30
Hi Alan,

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it and got the same problem.

I have a DVD combo drive and a CD drive and I've tried to install DSA2 from both with the same result. Now I've copied the contents of the DSA2 CD to my disk and tried to load from there as well and with the same result (the rollback error message.)

One problem that I thought for sure would make a difference was C:/ disk space. So I moved a ton of files off of my C:\ drive and got 15% free space, but that didn't change the outcome, even though I thought for sure that would.

I am very happy with CA2 and I guess I'll be using CA2 only from now on - at least on my desktop. I do have DSA2 on my laptop, so I can use DSA2 if I really want to.

Thank you Mjh, Meg, Alan, William and Alfred for all the wonderful help and suggestions and advice. I really appreciate your responses and expertise.

David
Old 30th July 2013, 05:39 AM   #32
djtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Hi David,

I think you also need to delete a key which you should find in the
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
branch of the registry. I don't have DSA2 installed here, so I don't know the GUID for that particular key, but if you highlight the first key and press the down-arrow on your keyboard to scroll through the list, the product name should show up as the data for the 'DisplayName' value in the right-hand pane.

Alfred
2013/07/30
Hi Alfred,

I didn't find a "Serif" or a "Scrapbook" folder or reference under the Uninstall registry entry per your suggestion (like I did under Software and Machine.) I didn't see one for Craft Artist there either. Although I did see "alphabet soup" references (folders with long strings of gibberish letters or alpha-numeric characters in no particular order or pattern) for each of the DigiKits I have - so I knew I was in the correct place.

Thanks, David
Old 7th August 2013, 03:39 AM   #33
djtn

Default Oh No! I Thought I Had Exhausted This Thread (and Everyone Who Helped!) - BUT ...

2013/08/06
Hi Everyone who has been so helpful already ...

I just discovered (because I didn't realize it before) that when I fire up CA2 on my HP - which no longer has a working version of DSA2 after all the failed attempts to re-install - that NONE of my DSA2 DigiKits appear in CA2 now! They still appear in Control Panel, but I don't see them in CA2 when adding items from DigiKits.

I've noticed here and there that familiar items weren't available and checked in Control Panel to see that the DSA2 kits were loaded, but I was slow to realize that the DSA2 kits are there still but not showing up in CA2.

So now I am missing access to half of my kits.

Any ideas please? Other than the dynamite I'm thinking of?

Thanks, David
Old 7th August 2013, 03:50 AM   #34
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Oh No! I Thought I Had Exhausted This Thread (and Everyone Who Helped!) - BUT ..

Quote:
2013/08/06
Hi Everyone who has been so helpful already ...

I just discovered (because I didn't realize it before) that when I fire up CA2 on my HP - which no longer has a working version of DSA2 after all the failed attempts to re-install - that NONE of my DSA2 DigiKits appear in CA2 now! They still appear in Control Panel, but I don't see them in CA2 when adding items from DigiKits.

I've noticed here and there that familiar items weren't available and checked in Control Panel to see that the DSA2 kits were loaded, but I was slow to realize that the DSA2 kits are there still but not showing up in CA2.

So now I am missing access to half of my kits.

Any ideas please? Other than the dynamite I'm thinking of?

Thanks, David

Hiya David

Hold off on the dynamite.

Try this dynamite of an idea instead.

Re-install the reluctant digikits to another location on your hard drive so as not to over-write those already there.

It may or may not work.......
Old 7th August 2013, 09:17 AM   #35
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

Try this simpler solution first: Tools > Options > Digikit Locations. If the folder where your DSA2 kits are located is not in the list, click Add and include that folder.
Old 7th August 2013, 11:16 AM   #36
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
Try this simpler solution first: Tools > Options > Digikit Locations. If the folder where your DSA2 kits are located is not in the list, click Add and include that folder.
Thanks. A few of my digikits have gone "missing" or AWOL. Will see if that helps.
Old 8th August 2013, 10:06 PM   #37
djtn

Default Re: Oh No! I Thought I Had Exhausted This Thread (and Everyone Who Helped!) - BUT ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Hiya David

Hold off on the dynamite.

Try this dynamite of an idea instead.

Re-install the reluctant digikits to another location on your hard drive so as not to over-write those already there.

It may or may not work.......
2013/08/08
Hi MJH,

Thank you for the suggestion, but it was a "no go."

First of all, I couldn't add a kit that was already on my system. It gave me the option to Repair or Remove. So I Removed one to try it.

Next, I tried to add the Kit I removed and it told me that I had to have DSA2 on my system in order to add the Kit!!!

I just saw that there was another suggestion, so I'm going to try that next.

Thanks again, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSA2_Freebie_Install_Error.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	43333  
Old 8th August 2013, 11:23 PM   #38
djtn

Default Oh No! I Thought I Had Exhausted This Thread (and Everyone Who Helped!) - BUT ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
2013/08/08
Hi Sarah,

BRILLIANT!!

Previously, I did a hasty check of the path for the DigiKits, but I saw "Scrapbook" and assumed it was for the DSA2 kits. I should have looked more carefully.

Thanks! David
Old 9th August 2013, 10:09 AM   #39
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
I tried to add the Kit I removed and it told me that I had to have DSA2 on my system in order to add the Kit!!!
Hi David,

You only need DSA2 on your system to run an old installer, because it doesn't know to look for CA (which didn't exist at the time). To add the kit, use a utility such as 7-Zip to extract the Packs folder from the installer *.exe file, and then copy or move the contents of that folder into your 'My Digikits' folder.

Alfred
Old 9th August 2013, 02:11 PM   #40
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Oh No! I Thought I Had Exhausted This Thread (and Everyone Who Helped!) - BUT ...

Quote:
Previously, I did a hasty check of the path for the DigiKits, but I saw "Scrapbook" and assumed it was for the DSA2 kits. I should have looked more carefully.

Thanks!
My pleasure! Sometimes the easiest solution seems too obvious and gets overlooked. Glad it's all working now