Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > PagePlus

Notices

PagePlus Questions about using PagePlus for desktop publishing

Old 3rd June 2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Limited

Patrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Launch news: PagePlus X7 is here!

Serif is delighted to launch PagePlus X7 – the latest version of the number one* desktop publisher. It's the perfect companion for promoting your business, club, or charity, documenting your hobby, producing information to share, and keeping your personal correspondence in perfect order! Use our versatile and easy-to-use software to create posters, flyers, business cards and other promotional materials, save and edit PDF files, produce handouts, publish eBooks and so much more.

Here's a breakdown of the new features and some helpful links...
  • Charts - Use data from spreadsheets or PagePlus tables to create attractive charts, in 2D and 3D styles with plenty of formatting options.

• Startup Assistant - A new, dynamic entry point to PagePlus, bringing the latest news, tutorials and more plus a lightning-fast template and document browser, with new search and filter functions throughout.

• 64-bit version - This is a welcome addition for PagePlus, enabling the full use of more powerful computer systems with greater amounts of RAM to better support large, long, or complex documents.

• AGT (Accelerated Graphics Technology) - Behind the catchy name is a brand new rendering engine for PagePlus that gives you better performance and greater accuracy - for text, on-screen colours, and colour-managed workflows.

• Flowing tables - Flow data between tables on multiple pages with repeating row or column headers, flowing downwards, rightwards, between tables on the same page, and sharing AutoFormat styles. And enjoy easier cell formatting, too.

• Blend Modes - Combine images, textures, colours, text in new and interesting ways to create professional designer effects.

• New workspace controls - A refreshed workspace with new tab docking controls means you can further tweak PagePlus to suit your preference and be even more efficient. There is so a new tab for Effects so you don't have to use a dialog, and new tabs for Charts and Chart Data.

• Smart hints - Handy hints and tips that are aware of what tools and objects you're using, which pop up in the corner of the screen and subtly fade away moments later. If you wish they can be reduced in frequency, dismissed individually or turned off en masse.

• New drawing controls - Apply fills and transparencies to lines and whole groups with more flexibility, and benefit from a new Convert to... option that allows node editing of vector art while maintaining text as editable text.

• New export power - A new Export Optimizer gives a dynamic preview of your selected object, objects, region, or page with your chosen file export settings, showing an estimated file size and side-by-side comparison of up to 4 different image exports. Also includes SVG as a new export format, Super Sampling for the highest quality raster images, and the ability to export a multi-page publication as a collection of images in one operation.

• Improved digital publishing - Last but not least, the much-requested PDF/X-3 makes a proud appearance in PagePlus X7, so you can export to a wider range of modern printers and publishers. Plus, PagePlus X7's eBooks pass validation in the popular EPUBCheck utility, used during eBook submission by some online book stores, so authors can publish to even more outlets.
PagePlus X7 Mini-Site:
http://www.serif.com/pageplus/

What's New in PagePlus X7:
http://www.serif.com/pageplus/x7/new-features/

PagePlus X7 Product Support:
http://www.serif.com/Support/ProductHelp/PagePlus/

PagePlus X7 Manual (direct link to UK English PDF):
http://www.serif.com/media/community...eplusx7-uk.pdf

We hope you love PagePlus X7 as much as we do, and continue to enjoy its diverse strengths, making it the #1 rated desktop publisher!

Thanks for reading, Dale.

* PagePlus has been rated the #1 DTP software and #1 Logo Designer by TopTenReviews.com, for 5 and 4 years in a row respectively.

Last edited by Dale_Cook; 6th June 2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: my typo
Old 3rd June 2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Quark

Quark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Launch news: PagePlus X7 is here!

Baseline grids - does PagePlus now have them? If not, WHEN will this essential of DTP be made available?
Old 3rd June 2013, 04:45 PM   #3
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Baseline grids - does PagePlus now have them? If not, WHEN will this essential of DTP be made available?
No, it doesn't.

Already added to the X8 Wishlist.
http://forums.serif.com/showthread.p...179#post949179

Mike
Old 4th June 2013, 09:06 AM   #4
lbh61

lbh61 is on a distinguished road

Damn, baseline grid is very essential for column layout! In this state PP is still not usable for my daily layout job. I keep on using Viva. Maybe next year ...

Cheers, L.
Old 4th June 2013, 11:49 AM   #5
jtill

jtill is on a distinguished road

There have been several queries about PDFs made for viewing on the web with the cover page by itself, and the inside pages shown two at a time, and the back page by itself. This is probably the most common PDF format for viewing on a monitor. Does PPX7 support this?

References:
http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=132727
http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=125097
http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=121218
Old 4th June 2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtill View Post
There have been several queries about PDFs made for viewing on the web with the cover page by itself, and the inside pages shown two at a time, and the back page by itself. This is probably the most common PDF format for viewing on a monitor. Does PPX7 support this?
This is a function of the PDF viewer, it is not something that should be done with PagePlus. The Facing Pages Display mode can be set by LibreOffice, but not Cover Page mode, and anyway since the PDF viewer's setting is likely to override it, there's not a lot of point to setting it.

Cover Page on Right in Adobe Reader

Cover Page on Right in PDF-XChange

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 4th June 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 4th June 2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:

References:
http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=132727
http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=125097
http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=121218

You could recommend this free PDF reader to your website visitors: http://webstunning.com/pdf-reader/

I think what you really want, though, is the capability from within PagePlus to produce a flipping book - am I right? If so, then please add it to the PPX8 wishlist.

Old 4th June 2013, 12:51 PM   #8
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post

You could recommend this free PDF reader to your website visitors: http://webstunning.com/pdf-reader/

I think what you really want, though, is the capability from within PagePlus to produce a flipping book - am I right? If so, then please add it to the PPX8 wishlist.
Sorry, I cannot agree:

When we publish on the web, we should not be telling web visitors to install special software or to make special adjustments to their preferred PC & browser settings:

Whatever we publish should work first time, every time, on standard PCs... and be capable of working with PCs which have been adapted to suit the user's "accessibility" needs.

These days, many people publishing on the web also need their information to work with a variety of mobile devices.

Recently I've been shocked that Yahoo's horrid new webmail interface keeps ordering me to "update to a modern web browser" each time I use Opera 12.15.

Similarly, the (badly broken) website of one of the UK's largest utility companies fails to work with Opera: Their tech support says that they "support" only MS IE, Firefox, or perhaps Chrome.

The days of special plugins or special versions of web browsers etc., belong back before the turn of the century!
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 4th June 2013, 01:02 PM   #9
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
Sorry, I cannot agree:

When we publish on the web, we should not be telling web visitors to install special software or to make special adjustments to their preferred PC & browser settings:

Whatever we publish should work first time, every time, on standard PCs... and be capable of working with PCs which have been adapted to suit the user's "accessibility" needs.

These days, many people publishing on the web also need their information to work with a variety of mobile devices.

Recently I've been shocked that Yahoo's horrid new webmail interface keeps ordering me to "update to a modern web browser" each time I use Opera 12.15.

Similarly, the (badly broken) website of one of the UK's largest utility companies fails to work with Opera: Their tech support says that they "support" only MS IE, Firefox, or perhaps Chrome.

The days of special plugins or special versions of web browsers etc., belong back before the turn of the century!

Richard - there was no opinion expressed either way, merely a workaround offered. As such, there really is nothing with which to agree or disagree. Notice that I also encouraged the poster to add their request PPX8 wishlist.

Old 4th June 2013, 02:33 PM   #10
jtill

jtill is on a distinguished road

Ali, what I want is exactly what I said, and exactly what the three other PagePlus users that I referenced said. I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.

Pesala, yes the reader of PDFs can specify this in their PDF viewer. But many people design their documents to look best in the configuration I described. (Mostly I am seeing font designers work showcasing their fonts.) And when I open them in Nitro PDF or PDF X-change viewer, the documents are displayed as the designers wish. That is why I think PagePlus should support this configuration. So the PDF document will look its best.
Old 4th June 2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Ali
Guru

Quote:
Ali, what I want is exactly what I said, and exactly what the three other PagePlus users that I referenced said. I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.

Pesala, yes the reader of PDFs can specify this in their PDF viewer. But many people design their documents to look best in the configuration I described. (Mostly I am seeing font designers work showcasing their fonts.) And when I open them in Nitro PDF or PDF X-change viewer, the documents are displayed as the designers wish. That is why I think PagePlus should support this configuration. So the PDF document will look its best.
Either way, your desire needs to go into the PPX8 wishlist.

Old 4th June 2013, 02:39 PM   #12
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

jtill,

I would add it to the wish list. The application I referenced in one of those threads is getting long in the tooth and at some point might not run on a then modern OS.

But until then, at least there is that app.

Mike
Old 5th June 2013, 07:56 PM   #13
Roberto Muscia

Roberto Muscia is on a distinguished road

Dear everybody of Serif,

Wow! Impressive list of new features in PP X7!
Not just modern small and less useful additions but very obvious and powerful ones; thank you so much for adding that great stuff and congratulations with the new release, Serif

I'm pretty exited again and look forward using X7.

Funny and remarkable coďncidence: only three days before X7 was released I was running into X6 not featuring tables to be flowing and yet it's there in X7 :-) Suspected it to be limited with header rows not showing in subsequent frames but Serif already took care of that, TOO right away with the first implementation of this feature ...not having finished yet that little project it seems I can make use of this new feature right away

Fully functional chart implementation is awesome and exiting as well; they even update while editing table contents

Export dialog with quad-preview: stunning practical (knowing I regularly export in a variety of formats for picking the best quality/smallest file size later). Was that feature requested or was it an in-house great idea?

Edit in PhotoPlus button: thank you for adding it to PP, too!

Heck, áll new features are all four hand and foot thumbs up!

Unlike most other software getting bloated PagePlus is just and only improving and getting more functional. Serif once again prove to be geniuses in picking the useful features to add and still maintaining an effective uncluttered user interface and very intuitive tool control.

Pitty I don't do as much page layout as before but I look forward to many new projects I can use PP for
Looks like many of my past projects could have been done in PP ONLY considering the features it now covers.

Have a nice break and celebration and then resume with the great work, Serif

Cheers,
Roberto
Old 15th June 2013, 11:24 PM   #14
Reddi-eng

Reddi-eng is on a distinguished road

I bet they have not fixed the problem that when you save a project with Data Merge it does not store the filter parameters like it does in WebPlus
Old 16th June 2013, 01:54 AM   #15
MikeW

I don't have it yet so I have no idea if it saves filters or not. But then again, I do all my sorting and filtering in other software and only pull in clean data...

Mike
Old 16th June 2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Reddi-eng

Reddi-eng is on a distinguished road

Yes Mike, there are always work-arounds, but when the identical functionality in WebPlus does save the parameters I'm none to pleased to be told by Serif its not an error in PagePlus, it was never intended to have that capability!

The next thing is that will stop responding to my X6 issues because I don't have the latest version!

Cynical, Me?
Old 4th July 2013, 02:44 AM   #17
LWA

LWA is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Launch news: PagePlus X7 is here!

I'm considering upgrading to PPX7 due to ePub issues with PPX6.

Main concern: from PPX6 I have to run my epub through another program to get the TOC to work correctly. I'm using Sigil for this but would really like to be able to publish correctly from PagePlus.

Has the TOC issue been resolved in PPX7?

Thanks!
Old 4th July 2013, 09:33 AM   #18
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

To get a TOC in X6 or X7, you should use the Styles tab in the eBook dialog. Set the relevant text styles to "Start Chapter" and this will add TOC entries for those points.

Hope that helps!
Old 27th July 2013, 04:54 AM   #19
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
I'm wondering about that rotation on page 1
Many, perhaps all, pages have some rotation.

Here's what Abbyy FineReader makes of it. It could do better if I spent some time on it, but this is "all its own work" without my interfering. It's an OpenOffice file, not a zip - just delete the .zip extension added to kid the forum!

Geoff
Attached Files
File Type: zip tmp416c.odt.zip (180.6 KB, 169 views)