Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 29th July 2013, 01:48 PM   #41
StuartAGold

StuartAGold is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6 Image databases updating image locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen View Post
Hello

It would be great if the database could recognise the file location folder for all the images in a database. So if it loses the connection to the images or if I move the folder, I could click on the first image in the folder and it puts all the other images noted in the database that are in that folder back in by default showing the correct file location.

Sometimes for no apparent reason and also when I move folders an image database loses its images. The database file can still show all the records and the name and location of the images but I have to manually browse to the folder where the images are held and click on every one of the images so that it recognises the image location for all of them or once and then copy and paste the text location on each listing in the database on every one of them and then the image appears correctly in the database.

Having to manually tell the database where to find the image for every image in the database is time consuming and tedious. I do not know why this happens but it is a recurring issue. I am not aware of any way to avoid this can happen even if images have not changed location.

This is not just a WebPlus X6 issue as it has happened with previous versions.

I could start a new database pointing to the images folder but the information I have added to each of the existing database items would have to be re-input and would take longer.

Update: Work around.

I enjoy using WebPlus but occasionally I find that it is necessary to find a way out of an issue with a work around, often with the kind help of other forum users.

In this case, I created a spreadsheet from a problem database. I added a new column with the folder location path (without the file name). I told the spreadsheet to put the data from that column and the file name column data in the file path location column.

If I have this issue again, I can copy and paste the new/correct location in the folder location path, fill series down the list and this populates the file location with the correct file path to the images.

If I keep experiencing this issue with other databases I will use the spreadsheet instead of the normal WebPlus database.

Thank you.
Galen - I get same problems. I have suggested a new function http://forums.serif.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=38. I think this would work well and would be a global option.
Old 29th July 2013, 02:16 PM   #42
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: WebPlus. Embedded/Linked Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartAGold View Post
Having a clean workflow does make more sense but then there are always mistakes and omissions. When software helps us to enforce a good workflow then it makes our lives easier.

I first saw this functionality in Filemaker Pro and was very impressed with it.
I wasn't saying it shouldn't be an option!

Old 29th July 2013, 02:37 PM   #43
StuartAGold

StuartAGold is on a distinguished road
Post Re: WebPlus. Embedded/Linked Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
I wasn't saying it shouldn't be an option!
Do Serif staff watch this forum? It would be good to know that they would consider this for next release!

Thanks for your responses!
Old 29th July 2013, 03:06 PM   #44
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Do Serif staff watch this forum? It would be good to know that they would consider this for next release!

Thanks for your responses!
Yes, in fact we can only guarantee that they will look at wishlist threads, not anything else. Having said this, don't assume that things wished for will be implemented: even popular requests sometimes don't make it on to the development list, although quite a few suggestions do.

Old 30th July 2013, 12:25 AM   #45
Galen

Galen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A feature I thing would be helpful concerning embedded/linked images.

I usually link my images so as not to bloat the project file (which is also prone to corruption with embedded images). However, like in some other products there should be a global option to specify a folder into which WebPlus would copy all images that are linked.

This way you would get the benefits of embedded images without the disadvantages of having linked images.

So basically there would be 3 global options:
1. Embedded
2. Linked
3. Linked from dedicated folder.
I really like the link from dedicated folders suggestion.

In particular, it would be useful for photo albums that are too large to embed in a .wpp file. I have a very large photo album that keeps telling me that it has lost its connection to the images, despite not having made any changes to it and I have to delete the folder of images and reinsert it every now and then. This in some cases is due to file/folder management housekeeping.

I would like to link all images for a website from a dedicated images folder, reducing the .wpp file size and hopefully eliminating the occasional missing image.

Ideally, I would also like to be able to link to the files on the server, so that this does not happen again, as my server folders do not change.

I also agree with
Quote:

I can see the sense in this, and it might be a useful option, but having a clean work-flow in the first place makes even more sense and would avoid the duplication of files across your hard drive. It's best to keep all of your website's resources in the same folder as the .wpp file, or within folders nested within its folder.
In an ideal world we would all be this organised from the outset, have a clear idea of how we are going to work and keep a strict work flow that reduces errors. When first starting to use WebPlus, we are not all aware of the issues that can arise and the importance of working in that manner. The way I worked in the beginning (not realising the pitfalls) is not the way I always try to work now.

For anyone who is starting using WebPlus or starting to get into website design for the first time, Ali's suggestion is one of the things I suggest you take on board. It can save you no end of trouble. Looking for a resource that has disappeared that you added to a website a few years before can be a bit of a headache if not kept in an easily findable place.

Some of my websites have evolved as I have got to grips with using WebPlus. They have outlasted computers, different WebPlus versions and folder set ups and been backed up in different external locations. During that time resources have expanded and been re-arranged and I have also had to revert to backup copies.

Now, with the benefit of having experienced having to find old resources to make them function and from reading this forum, I pay more attention to file management than I did in the past. All my serif files for a website are filed in the same folder by date, the website resources are filed in a resources folder, in the same folder as the Serif files, separated by type, so that if I need to find anything again I can. All my external backups follow the same file path on each drive so I know exactly where to find things, if I need to find them. I also have a shortcut on my desktop to each of the website folder backup locations so I can copy and paste the manual backups to each location in seconds and navigate to them if needed. I also do a little housekeeping from time to time so that old backups are in a separate folder to current working files.

I think that this workflow plus StuartAGold's suggestion make for easier file management and web design a bit easier.

If you are a new user of WebPlus, I thoroughly recommend reading what you can on this forum, while you can. Users here have helped me no end.
Old 30th July 2013, 02:26 AM   #46
Galen

Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6 Ability to resize multiple iframes

In the Site Manager/Page Properties you can alter the size of multiple pages at the same time and choose an iframe.

Having a website with a number of pages with iframes, which I am now resizing to make it more mobile friendly, I would find it very helpful to have a facility to choose multiple iframes and resize them in one go, as you can page sizes.

In addition, when I run a site check, it does not seem to record that the iframes in the resized pages does not fit the page. This means having to go through each page of the website and resizing the iframes that extend over the page edge.

Thank you.
Old 6th August 2013, 03:22 PM   #47
theghost12

theghost12 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6

I would like to see WP7 have the ability to create forms, update PHP code all within the WP within the editor screen, as also mentioned in this post, database managment would be a fantastic addition, The abilty to manage databases MYSQL, MSSQL and so on within the WP gui would make the product a must buy for anyone building dynamic websites.. Even the abiltiy to import the likes of Joomla or PHP Nuke would also be a good addition
Old 6th August 2013, 03:40 PM   #48
Ali
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theghost12 View Post
I would like to see WP7 have the ability to create forms, update PHP code all within the WP within the editor screen, as also mentioned in this post, database managment would be a fantastic addition, The abilty to manage databases MYSQL, MSSQL and so on within the WP gui would make the product a must buy for anyone building dynamic websites.. Even the abiltiy to import the likes of Joomla or PHP Nuke would also be a good addition
WP is perfectly capable of creating forms: it is a form script that it cannot generate for you, and I think that this is what you mean in fact.

Old 6th August 2013, 05:55 PM   #49
restorian

restorian is on a distinguished road

Make wpx7 the same as x6, then I wont need to buy another copy :-)
Old 6th August 2013, 07:12 PM   #50
theghost12

Quote:
WP is perfectly capable of creating forms: it is a form script that it cannot generate for you, and I think that this is what you mean in fact.
Ali - You are correct, I didn't quite word what I meant
Old 11th August 2013, 04:16 PM   #51
bolberry

bolberry is on a distinguished road

I would like to be able to see which nav bar in the list that i am using - maybe it's me, of course, but at the moment if i go to edit the navbar and then click the type tab then it goes to the top of the list instead of the one you are using. very frustrating if you cannot remember the name!
Old 12th August 2013, 07:02 PM   #52
theghost12

HI,

Not sure if this has been requested before, but how about adding split view to the options, This enabling the user to see the raw HTML code and the design, The same functionality is available the more expensive alternatives so would be an excellent addition, For the users that don't want to see this option then have the ability to turn it off.
Old 12th August 2013, 07:03 PM   #53
theghost12

HI,

Not sure if this has been requested before, but how about adding split view to the options, This enabling the user to see the raw HTML code and the design, The same functionality is available in the more expensive alternatives so would be an excellent addition, For the users that don't want to see this option then have the ability to turn it off.
Old 12th August 2013, 07:07 PM   #54
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by theghost12 View Post
HI,

Not sure if this has been requested before, but how about adding split view to the options, This enabling the user to see the raw HTML code and the design, The same functionality is available in the more expensive alternatives so would be an excellent addition, For the users that don't want to see this option then have the ability to turn it off.
You should be able to do that by having both design view and source code view, then choosing Window > Tile.
Old 12th August 2013, 08:18 PM   #55
Darius

Darius is on a distinguished road

Given this is the 6th thread, I am sure these have been mentioned before, but just in case.

1. Dynamic width webpages. This should have been done in WPx6, but lacking that option really makes WP seem dated.

2. Allow blogs (and perhaps other smart objects) to be hosted on my server and not Serifs.

3. If you cannot permit me to host my own blog on my own server, then perhaps make it possible to integrate an outside blog on to my webpage. That way I get the look and functionality of these sites without having to use the limited function blog provided.

4. Update the blog functions to allow better spam protection, e.g. all us to set a facebook, google+, or even our own registry for comments on blogs.

5. Better tools for creating buttons.
Old 13th August 2013, 02:03 AM   #56
DanSun

DanSun is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see some better form input widgets. In particular, I'd like to have a "combobox" that is a hybrid between a SELECT combo-box and an INPUT text field, such as the one in the Dojo toolkit (see: http://dojotoolkit.org/reference-gui.../ComboBox.html). In fact, WebPlus X6 uses this type of widget when one publishes a site, and then one is prompted for the URL to open. You should provide to us the same widgets that you find useful in your product.
Old 22nd August 2013, 04:40 PM   #57
Galen

As much as I appreciate having the import website files facility in WebPlus, it could be better and much more useful. Results vary from website to website to such a degree that some imports are practically unusable because of the amount of work required to make them fully functional and appear as they should.

It would appear from an 'import website files' search on this forum, which brought up lots of threads regarding the need to import, that the WebPlus import function is very important. An improved import facility would be much appreciated by many WebPlus users for previous .wpp created websites and importing websites created with other software.

http://forums.serif.com/search.php?searchid=2976419

Without the .wpp file often a lot of work is required to make it was it was. Sometimes, I have given up on the imported version and started from scratch. Even in the case where I have all the published files in a folder with the WebPlus wpimages and wpscripts folders it can take a lot of work.

For small simple sites, creating a new website and copying and pasting from the html page is sometimes quicker than using the import results.

You can import a website back onto your computer which appears near perfect without using WebPlus but you have to use other software if I want to edit the website in this form as once you import it into WebPlus a lot of work can be required to bring it back to the way it looks when you view your local html files in a browser.

A lot of us who have needed to import website files have done so because of a need to replace a missing or damaged .wpp file. I have learnt (the hard way) the importance of incremental backups and multiple backup locations to avoid the need to import, but sometimes it is still needed. E.g. If you are taking over the editing of a website for someone which was created in different software.

Thank you.

Last edited by Galen; 22nd August 2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: added link
Old 22nd August 2013, 06:21 PM   #58
contemporary dave

contemporary dave is on a distinguished road

My request should be read by everyone - especially Serif as there are legal implications here:

Please design W7 so it does NOT shred metadata or IPTC data from photographs. This is particularly important due to the new Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act that has recently come into force. The stripping of metadata could contribute to a photo being classified as an Orphan work. This could have major consequences for the owner of the image.

Note to Serif: Removal of an images metadata is already a civil infringement under UK copyright law to knowingly and without authority strip metadata from a copyright work.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:38 PM   #59
PeterPanino

PeterPanino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen View Post
As much as I appreciate having the import website files facility in WebPlus, it could be better and much more useful.
I very much agree.
Old 29th August 2013, 08:54 AM   #60
ChrisBannister
Serif Europe Limited

ChrisBannister is on a distinguished road

I think a nifty little feature would be a full page background slider/gallery which you can add content over the top of, like you can see at https://www.wetransfer.com/

Sorry if this has already been suggested but I'm supposed to be working and I didn't have time to read all the threads