Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 30th June 2013, 11:01 PM   #21
Luby

Luby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6

A better CMS OR..
A seamless way to integrate a WordPress blog into your Webplus site (conflict of interest perhaps).
Old 1st July 2013, 02:15 PM   #22
Taste

Taste is on a distinguished road

Probably to late now but...

1. Would be good to choose to make responsive design.

2. an option to convert a psd to html.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:46 AM   #23
Galen

Galen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6 Easier custom navbar

On a large website, adding a custom nav bar (not based on site structure), with the relevant pages can take a while.

If there was a way to choose the custom nav bar option and a list open up to tick the relevant pages to be added to the nav bar that would save time and be easier to avoid missing a link.

Alternatively, a quick way of deleting the unwanted links from the full site structure list, rather than clicking individually would be useful.

Thank you.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:52 AM   #24
Galen

Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6 Smart Objects

The smart objects facility is a very useful one. However, for new users it can be quite confusing and the interface could be more up to date.

A more obvious way of using the smart objects for those of us less used to this aspect of websites would be nice. If I have not used it for a while, I do have to spend more time thinking about how to use the Smart Objects Library and inputting users etc, than I might do if there was a more obvious work flow.

Thank you.
Old 8th July 2013, 12:05 PM   #25
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luby View Post
A better CMS OR..
A seamless way to integrate a WordPress blog into your Webplus site (conflict of interest perhaps).
Why WordPress, LUL? There are other server-side blogs.
Old 8th July 2013, 12:29 PM   #26
Galen

Exclamation Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6 Fix for 'Korean' secured pages.

When viewing a website that has been created with the addition of password protection, with no obvious reason why, a number of pages can appear to be a jumble of characters that Google recognises as Korean.

This has been an issue for me and other WebPlus users for years, not just on X6. I reported this to Serif support in the past but I do not know any way to prevent this.

This is the latest thread on the subject.

http://forums.serif.com/showthread.p...139#post960139

I do not know what it would take to remove this issue in WebPlus X7, but it would be very much appreciated if you could.

Thank you.
Old 8th July 2013, 12:34 PM   #27
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6 Fix for 'Korean' secured pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen View Post
I do not know what it would take to remove this issue in WebPlus X7, but it would be very much appreciated if you could.
The issue is down to SWR (Serif Web Resources).

If you're not using Serif hosting, most hosts will offer password protection for pages/directories as part of the package.

Serif Web Resources (SWR) Product Suggestions

Last edited by Tom.; 8th July 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 8th July 2013, 01:19 PM   #28
Galen

Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6 Fix for 'Korean' secured pages.

Hello Tom

Thank you for the quick reply.

'If you're not using Serif hosting, most hosts will offer password protection for pages/directories as part of the package.'

I am not using Serif hosting. I will look into a hosting alternative to password protecting the pages, as you mentioned. I had not considered this before. Thank you for the tip. It is good to have alternatives to aggravating issues.

I buy Serif products such as WebPlus as they offer a package of tasks that I can take care of relatively easy in one place. SWR was a key selling point for me. It is unfortunate to have to step outside of the Serif software family to find a solution to a task that was provided within the software that I paid for.

Having a facility within a product that I refrain from using because it creates time consuming troubles and using external solutions, dilute the attractiveness of the product. When parts of the package fail, the more reasons I have to look for alternative software.

I like using Serif products and I have used them for years, so I hope this is something that is fixed and that Serif make users aware that it is fixed soon.

Now I have an alternative to investigate for this one issue, thanks to Tom. I just have to find out how my host handles securing websites and learn how to integrate it into future websites.
Old 15th July 2013, 04:13 PM   #29
al b. darned

al b. darned is on a distinguished road

I would like to see this across all Serif products:

During the installation process I would like the option to not install fonts and also the option later on to only install the fonts I select.

I already have way more fonts installed than I'll ever need or use. But every time I install a new version of one of your programs it installs a ton of new fonts. It's kind of a pain to then have to open a font manager and delete the ones I don't want.
Old 15th July 2013, 04:43 PM   #30
DanSun

DanSun is on a distinguished road

I cannot insert UTF-8 symbols into text strings that are inside HTML attachments. ALT-X does not work when I'm editing an HTML fragment; and I can't even copy & paste symbols into the HTML string (I just get ??'s). I would like these strings to include various emoticons and dingbats defined in the UTF-8 standard. My fallback is to enter the raw UTF-8 code, eg: "&#xabcd", which is awkward.

Please enable text symbol insertion while editing HTML.
Old 18th July 2013, 01:19 PM   #31
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Some improvements to Paragraph formatting that are available in PagePlus, but not in WebPlus would be useful:

1. Line above and below paragraph. At least, width of the text is possible in CSS — NetObjects Fusion can already do this, and lines at left/right of the paragraph, which even PagePlus cannot do yet.
  2. Initial Words: Useful for headings that don't waste a whole paragraph. Apply formatting such as bold, capitals, or small capitals to the first x number of words or until specified punctuation is encountered. This should certainly be possible with a <span> tag.
  3. Drop Capitals: This is also very useful on long web pages. Currently, I use inline graphics for this, but drop capitals in a paragraph styles would be more convenient.

One can use Regular Expressions in the Find dialogue to find text at the start of a paragraph up to and including the first colon:

^p[ ,-ffl]+:

Enter the above string in the "Find" field and enable the "Regular Expressions" check-box.

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 18th July 2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 18th July 2013, 01:29 PM   #32
Luby

Luby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Why WordPress, LUL? There are other server-side blogs.
MJH - only just saw this. Only reason is because that's the one I'm most familiar with, and that clients are most familiar with and more likely to use. I tried Blogger but didn't like it.
Old 22nd July 2013, 08:37 PM   #33
Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Limited

Patrick Connor has a brilliant futurePatrick Connor has a brilliant futurePatrick Connor has a brilliant futurePatrick Connor has a brilliant future

Al b. Darned. All serif installs have always made font installation optional for the 14 years I have been here. However no downloaded install has ever offered any options because modifying a download after you install it is not possible. So if you want an option not to install fonts then buy the physical DVD version. Ifyou need one font or two after installation they are ALWAYS in a folder on the DVD and copy/paste or drag/dropping fonts into your windows fonts folder will install it.
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:40 PM   #34
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by al b. darned View Post
...It's kind of a pain to then have to open a font manager and delete the ones I don't want.
This takes me seconds to do with my Serif installs from downloaded versions. While I would like the option, after installing, I simply start MainType, sort by install date and zap the newly installed fonts.

Mike
Old 25th July 2013, 01:46 PM   #35
Sweagles

Sweagles is on a distinguished road

I'm sure these have already been asked for but I'll put it out there anyway.
1. Integrating Responsive Website Design into WebPlus.
2. Will WebPlus be using HTML5 code?
3. The lot of graphics for picture frames in the Assets are hard to differentiate between each other. I end up having to choose a number of them, then drag them onto the canvas just to see the differences. Shouldn't be like that. It should be clear when choosing them.
4. Make it easier to create and update slider panels. The sliders have the same issues when choosing them as the picture frames. Some are hard to see if their the same or not.
5. When going back to edit Forms the save function sometimes changes the layout on the webpage.

Last edited by Sweagles; 25th July 2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 26th July 2013, 03:13 AM   #36
Galen

Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6 Image databases updating image locations

Hello

It would be great if the database could recognise the file location folder for all the images in a database. So if it loses the connection to the images or if I move the folder, I could click on the first image in the folder and it puts all the other images noted in the database that are in that folder back in by default showing the correct file location.

Sometimes for no apparent reason and also when I move folders an image database loses its images. The database file can still show all the records and the name and location of the images but I have to manually browse to the folder where the images are held and click on every one of the images so that it recognises the image location for all of them or once and then copy and paste the text location on each listing in the database on every one of them and then the image appears correctly in the database.

Having to manually tell the database where to find the image for every image in the database is time consuming and tedious. I do not know why this happens but it is a recurring issue. I am not aware of any way to avoid this can happen even if images have not changed location.

This is not just a WebPlus X6 issue as it has happened with previous versions.

I could start a new database pointing to the images folder but the information I have added to each of the existing database items would have to be re-input and would take longer.

Update: Work around.

I enjoy using WebPlus but occasionally I find that it is necessary to find a way out of an issue with a work around, often with the kind help of other forum users.

In this case, I created a spreadsheet from a problem database. I added a new column with the folder location path (without the file name). I told the spreadsheet to put the data from that column and the file name column data in the file path location column.

If I have this issue again, I can copy and paste the new/correct location in the folder location path, fill series down the list and this populates the file location with the correct file path to the images.

If I keep experiencing this issue with other databases I will use the spreadsheet instead of the normal WebPlus database.

Thank you.

Last edited by Galen; 27th July 2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Update with workaround.
Old 27th July 2013, 03:01 PM   #37
Galen

Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6 SHOW PAGE DIMENSIONS WHILE DRAGGING PAGE SIZE

I really like the feature

'You can also drag the right-hand or bottom page edge to change page width or height, respectively.'

It would be really helpful to see the pixel size of the page dimension as you drag to change the size.

Thank you.

Found it! When click on View and Hintline, it appears in the information bar at the bottom of the page.

I looked in the help guide and found the information about how to change the width and height but it did not mention the hintline in the same place.

Last edited by Galen; 29th July 2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Found solution already in place
Old 28th July 2013, 08:55 PM   #38
StuartAGold

StuartAGold is on a distinguished road
Post WebPlus. Embedded/Linked Images

A feature I thing would be helpful concerning embedded/linked images.

I usually link my images so as not to bloat the project file (which is also prone to corruption with embedded images). However, like in some other products there should be a global option to specify a folder into which WebPlus would copy all images that are linked.

This way you would get the benefits of embedded images without the disadvantages of having linked images.

So basically there would be 3 global options:
1. Embedded
2. Linked
3. Linked from dedicated folder.
Old 29th July 2013, 08:29 AM   #39
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: WebPlus. Embedded/Linked Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartAGold View Post
A feature I thing would be helpful concerning embedded/linked images.

I usually link my images so as not to bloat the project file (which is also prone to corruption with embedded images). However, like in some other products there should be a global option to specify a folder into which WebPlus would copy all images that are linked.

This way you would get the benefits of embedded images without the disadvantages of having linked images.

So basically there would be 3 global options:
1. Embedded
2. Linked
3. Linked from dedicated folder.

I can see the sense in this, and it might be a useful option, but having a clean work-flow in the first place makes even more sense and would avoid the duplication of files across your hard drive. It's best to keep all of your website's resources in the same folder as the .wpp file, or within folders nested within its folder.

Old 29th July 2013, 01:44 PM   #40
StuartAGold

StuartAGold is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WebPlus. Embedded/Linked Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post

I can see the sense in this, and it might be a useful option, but having a clean work-flow in the first place makes even more sense and would avoid the duplication of files across your hard drive. It's best to keep all of your website's resources in the same folder as the .wpp file, or within folders nested within its folder.
Having a clean workflow does make more sense but then there are always mistakes and omissions. When software helps us to enforce a good workflow then it makes our lives easier.

I first saw this functionality in Filemaker Pro and was very impressed with it.