Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 3rd June 2013, 12:22 AM   #1
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6

Place your wishes for WebPlus X7 in this thread, please.

The older thread is here.
Old 5th June 2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6

Slider option - pause on hover.
Old 13th June 2013, 06:58 AM   #3
DanSun

DanSun is on a distinguished road

First, let me say that WebPlus X6 is a great tool, and I'm really glad I started using it. Prior to WebPlus, I was using NetObjects Fusion, and having problems with it; but, that's another story. WebPlus is terrific in comparison.

Nevertheless, there a some things that would significantly improve your great product. I have been doing some server-side programming in php and accessing a MySQL DB that I set up. So far, the WebPlus capability to insert php code into the HTML, and to invoke php scripts on submits has worked well. But, there are a few things for which I had to find workarounds.

1. I wanted to have items on a page instantly update in response to making a form element (radio or combo box) selection. This included tables appearing or changing. And I wanted this to happen automatically without pressing a Submit button. So, in the selection element, I added the code: onchange='javascript: document.forms["formid"].submit();', which forces a form submit to a php script that changes some cookies, and then redirects back to the same page, which refreshes differently due to the new cookies. It works great. But the WebPlus Site Checker did complain that there was no form submit, since I had it buried in the form elements

So, my first wish is: Add "onchange=..." as a feature for form elements.

2. In doing the above, I wanted tables to change structure, including adding or removing rows. There is no way to do this in WebPlus since there are no Preamble & Postamble surrounding table rows. So, I wrote php code to select one of many tables to display depending on the cookie states. On the page, there are 5 alternate tables, which are superimposed in the WebPlus page display. When the "onchange" script refreshes the page, only one of the 5 gets chosen in the code. Client-side, the table looks like it dynamically changes in response to a form element change. Also, these tables have form elements (such as combo boxes) in some of the cells, but the element has the same name in each table. This is fine, since only one table gets sent to the client. However, in WebPLus, these embedded elements cause duplicate form name errors (that I just ignore). But, this could all be easier.

So, my second wish is: Add insertion of Preamble and Postamble code before and after each table row.

That's all for now. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to explain why this is so important to me. I'll be using these features a lot on other pages, and may end up embedding php code into the HTML to dynamically generate tables during a page refresh. If I do that, I might lose all visibility of the table in WebPlus. http://forums.serif.com/images/smilies_v2/sad.gif
Old 13th June 2013, 03:00 PM   #4
nosreyem

nosreyem is on a distinguished road

I have downloaded the trial X6 for testing - I like the way the program works and a lot of thought went into it but .... (a Little info for you - I am a programmer as well as a web designer - albeit I try)...
However - I have found limitations with almost every product that I have downloaded so far (20-30 programs).
Like everyone else I am looking for an all in one solution that I don't have to tweak every time (Yours offers less tweaks than most...but still major tweaks at that ).

1: You have only one major limitation. I have my own shopping cart and design. South Africa is limited to consumers who have no access to VISA Credit Cards so banks over here use VISA approved debit card facilities like CC. Open Cart, Xcart etc of the many I need to use as they allow the VISA plugin through our local banks allow this format.Paypal and the plugins/addins that you guys have don't! Why not add other cart facilities to the ecom design / import the open source with an html object call or add some trigger functions for the slightly more advanced users. Add the path to the web cart database and Voila Cart added. Your product becomes "multiversal". Security can be plugged by encrypting the data (Sorry if too much or to little detail).

2:My clients use external accounting packages as well and I only see a limited export function to CSV (I have to create unique Tables to extrapolate data)Create a known tables template spreadsheet for accounting practices. I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel everytime. Most people use various different accounting packages but they all stick to a basic template of accounting - add this feature in because Ecommerce has become a real business with real business attributes - but what hasn't been taken into consideration is the business side of it unfortunately with almost every program. Actinic (One of many) claim Sage, Quickbooks etc they just are not user friendly and two of my clients had to phone for support. When is plug and play, plug and play? I want like everyone else a one click solution and voila it happens - but pipe-dreams happen.

3: If I want a customer rating or service reply popup which is helpful for the site and SEO etc there is very little help at all for this except a Java popup or third party plugin to make a star rating and reply and graph service.

4: Iframes....need I say more from a programming point of view... not as user friendly as made out to be (Shopping cart, blog, inner cascading websites and advertising)...BTW thanks to mick I know that he just provides support for free but no hard feelings. I have to give the guy a break...at least he answered.

I could give plenty more suggestions but so far I am only testing the product and at least I have put in my two cents worth so far and hopefully some constructive criticism. These are just basic things that seem to missing from all the programs I have used....wish there was an all in one...make designing a helluva lot easier!

Regards - The backwater and deep south of South Africa

Last edited by AlfredP; 13th June 2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Moved from SWR Product Suggestions thread
Old 16th June 2013, 02:20 PM   #5
PeterPanino

PeterPanino is on a distinguished road

There is a problematic issue in the German version of WebPlus: It creates German language CSS style names like "Textk÷rper" (English: body-text or text-body) which contains German Umlaut characters (e.g. "÷") which is not valid HTML/CSS code and can create a lot of problems later on. Please fix this! Instead of German Umlaut characters use their international ASCII equivalent, e.g. "oe" for "÷", "AE" for "─", "ss" for "▀", etc.
Old 17th June 2013, 05:30 AM   #6
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPanino View Post
There is a problematic issue in the German version of WebPlus: It creates German language CSS style names like "Textk÷rper" (English: body-text or text-body) which contains German Umlaut characters (e.g. "÷") which is not valid HTML/CSS code and can create a lot of problems later on. Please fix this! Instead of German Umlaut characters use their international ASCII equivalent, e.g. "oe" for "÷", "AE" for "─", "ss" for "▀", etc.
You should contact Serif technical support about this, as it is an error report rather than a feature request. Go to the main Serif site and find the support page, where you can raise a ticket.

Old 19th June 2013, 11:48 AM   #7
sherrif

sherrif is on a distinguished road

Hi people,

I believe it is difficult to make a custom background.. It is very limited. Also sometimes it is needed to work in html to make the picture fit to the whole site...
Also it could be easier to make a picture of 60 kb fit to the whole site. Now i need a 3 mb picture. There are solutions for that but is is to complicated.
Only a suggestion
Thanks alot

grtz

streekgerechten
renovatie
parket laminaat
Old 20th June 2013, 01:16 PM   #8
barthermans

barthermans is on a distinguished road

For me, there are 2 main improvements that could be made to WebPlus:

1. A better uploader. Especially with regard to visual appeal. Often the software hangs, if you don't know better you would think it stopped working. Also, I have a lot of photo galleries on my website, so a lot of photos. And after the uploading, Serif is "updating remote manifest" for more than half an hour. Even if I do just a slight change on 1 page (even if there is only text on that page) and only do an incremental upload for that particular page. That is something that could be improved, right?

2. A more user friendly button design tool. In particular for horizontal menus it is incredibly difficult to design it exactly the way you want it.
Old 21st June 2013, 12:47 AM   #9
PeterPanino

PeterPanino is on a distinguished road

Please make HTML fragments generally interpreted in the designer, or at least make this an option for every single HTML fragment. I mean, we have the year 2013 - every sub-standard computer from the pizza-shop around the corner today can easily interpret 10 HTML fragment frames in real-time on one page without going over 2% CPU load. PLEASE!
Old 23rd June 2013, 04:33 AM   #10
Galen

Galen is on a distinguished road

I find the site checker a very useful tool. There are times when using the site checker that I am presented with a list of items that I would like to ignore, because I have made a design choice to keep them that way.

I can ignore a problem of a type but when I want to check that same issue across the website for ones I do not know, it would be helpful to have a facility to ignore some of the problems that I am ok with but still check the same problem in other parts of the site.

If there were a way to ignore that specific error in that specific place so I can still check for the problem in general and not be presented with the ones I want to leave as is, that would make my list easier to go through and deal with errors I want to correct.

If there were a tick box to ignore single errors but still check for the same problem and the list ignore the ticked items that would really help.
Old 23rd June 2013, 04:54 AM   #11
Galen

Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6 Bring back the flowing creative text frame.

I miss the flowing text when using X6 and I am using the asset kindly provided by mjh on http://forums.serif.com/showthread.p...ght=asset+pack

I read the post http://forums.serif.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=16 explaining the reason for removal, but I still missed it.

I have a site that I am converting to smaller columns to make it more mobile friendly. Having to do it manually was time consuming. By using the flowing text facility I was able to easily position the text in the columns by expanding and reducing the columns until it looked right. Without it there is much manual changing and guessing until I get it right.

I have the option then, if I choose, to change to the ordinary text frame tool, copying and pasting the columns in the sizes established by using the flowing text option.
Old 23rd June 2013, 05:00 AM   #12
Galen

Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6 Have a default choice for text overflowing and autofit.

I find myself repeating the same text positioning tasks for my text boxes as I cannot see a way to choose a default option for a whole site for using the autofit function and choosing a default overflow solution.

Assuming I have not missed it,(I looked in the manual and on the forum),I would like to see a default choice added to X7, but keeping the option to change individual text boxes where appropriate.

Thank you.
Old 23rd June 2013, 10:33 AM   #13
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: WebPlus X7 - Wishlist #6 Have a default choice for text overflowing and autofit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen View Post
I find myself repeating the same text positioning tasks for my text boxes as I cannot see a way to choose a default option for a whole site for using the autofit function and choosing a default overflow solution.

Assuming I have not missed it,(I looked in the manual and on the forum),I would like to see a default choice added to X7, but keeping the option to change individual text boxes where appropriate.

Thank you.
Hi - Go to the Text Styles tab and create a text style set with autofit with the overflow choice.
Old 23rd June 2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Naz
Expert

Naz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant futureNaz has a brilliant future
Default Re: When is WPX7 Going to be Released?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Bhagat View Post
Do I get a vote?

There's no pool at Serif, nor a car pool, but there is a pool table.
Please please please fix the Colour Scheme Designer in X7 so that you can actually save Colour Schemes within a website, it simply has never worked.

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please

iPlus360.com || Free downloads || Free PHP script generator
If someone's answer helped, please give them a Positive Reputation vote (second icon bottom left of person)
Old 23rd June 2013, 09:00 PM   #15
joshan

joshan is on a distinguished road

If you fix these few things, Adobe's product Muse, Dreamweaver will be kicked out from market..
  1. Fluid web layout and fluid slider for all kind of devices.
  2. Connect to Database MYSQL, SQL or ms access, do some database tasks; add, update, remove, view, login check .
  3. SEO Friendly URL links for Apache and IIS
  4. Improve image import options, right now images got pixels. and it took long time to fix it in photoshop then bring it in webplus.
  5. Fix- remove 100% styles to external file. right now absolute style remains in the main page. Right now viewing source code it looks unprofessional to clients.
  6. Features Tabulation, Accord.
  7. slider animation not works in android phones.
  8. cell phone friendly menus, drop down and pop ups and sliders....
  9. Fix- FTP upload service must work in background.
  10. Fix- export website also must work in background.
  11. add Mega menubar same like webplus website menubar.
  12. In browser Small Content Manager System.( i dnt like webplus cms system) look at muse in browser CMS. jeditable. or Direct edit html file text or image without Database support
  13. Fix- improve preview box of slider assets window. right now its hard to see which slider doing what animation. so i drag it on page run it then i comes to know the style of the slider.
  14. add a button to import more assets in current assets window. right now if i import pre-graphics in graphic tab then if i want to open more pre-graphics or append in graphic window then i have to clear all assents from that window for import new, same with slider and same with buttons.
  15. HTML5 video player, Tags.
  16. stick image or text to any side or any location of the window.
  17. add More styles of shadow.
  18. Full customize lighbox( close button, next button, set any background image etc).
  19. Fix- Permission to change default website images folder or script folder.
  20. Fix- full edit robots.txt and sitemap.xml(right now by default settings working and user have to go to file and change file settings) it must be like that; right click on page in html pages window and option to remove from sitemap or block robots.txt.
  21. Fix- option for folder view in webpages list box.
  22. Different types of view; Desktop view, mobile view, tablet view.
  23. add some animation tricks for text/ objects( scroll in , fade in on load page etc .
  24. Google fonts script option in page.
  25. show google fonts or webfonts in different box. it will help easy to find webfont or google fonts from list.
  26. show google websites available fonts with preview to download.
  27. fix- add enable disable button for preview dialog box after uploading website.
  28. implement/insert asp.net code in page as per user requirement.
  29. smooth scrolling to top of the page or any anchor tag...
sorry for my bad english
Hopping best for Webplus 7....

Last edited by joshan; 6th July 2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 24th June 2013, 04:46 PM   #16
KCR

KCR is on a distinguished road

Is there any chance of Serif bringing out a 'WebPlus Lite'? I have three sites now that have a WebPlus x6 front-end and then a WebPlus x5 back-end catalogue which the client has, on a sub-domain, to update themselves. The problem is that once I've bought and loaded a full copy of WebPlus onto the client pc, they're lost as a client. If there was a version that allowed limited functionality or alternatively a full copy which could have bits switched off on install then I would stand half a chance of keeping them as clients.
Old 24th June 2013, 05:05 PM   #17
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCR View Post
Is there any chance of Serif bringing out a 'WebPlus Lite'?
https://www.serif.com/webplus/essentials
Old 24th June 2013, 05:19 PM   #18
KCR

KCR is on a distinguished road

Hi Tom and thanks for the reply. I've been on the phone to Serif today asking about Essentials and I'm told it's no longer available due to the lack of sales - hence the idea of a full copy with options to switch bits off.
I've never used it but it's got to be worth it.
Thanks, once again, K
Old 24th June 2013, 05:49 PM   #19
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCR View Post
Hi Tom and thanks for the reply. I've been on the phone to Serif today asking about Essentials and I'm told it's no longer available due to the lack of sales - hence the idea of a full copy with options to switch bits off.
I've never used it but it's got to be worth it.
Thanks, once again, K
I get a BUY button for Essentials. It is based on WP X4.

You can also try ebay and amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...us%2Caps%2C458
Old 27th June 2013, 05:42 AM   #20
DanSun

DanSun is on a distinguished road

One can have multiple HTML fragments as embedded objects in different cells of a table. Sometimes one wants to modify the "Embedded Object Property" of these fragments, such as aligning them with the middle of the cell. Currently in WPX6, one has to do this one fragment at a time, via an EOP panel that can be invoked after the fragment is selected. It would be useful to simultaneously select several of the fragments, and then get an EOP panel that would apply to all of them.