Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Serif Announcements

Notices

Serif Announcements Announcements from Serif about new product releases and updates

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Limited

Patrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sustained attack on these forums

I would like to appologise for the performance of these forums in the last few days. Since Friday 24th May we have been under a systematic attack from spammers who would like to use these forums to post their adverts. As a result the reaction time of the forums has been very slow. Fortunately thanks to the stirling work of the (unpaid) forum administrators only they have had to suffer this torrent, as all new posts are initially in a "moderated" state and can only be seen by them. They have been deleting first posts all weekend, for which we are very grateful, so thank you MJH, Alfred and Mick so very much.

These are the statistics since Friday 24th May 2013
  • 3240 New Signups, of whom
  • 1918 Awaiting email confirmation (probable spammers)
  • 529 emails confirmed, yet to post for the first time. (most are probable spammers)
  • 776 Banned users (who have already posted spam or created suspicious accounts)
  • 17 Approved users (who posted genuine Serif related posts)
...that is 99.5% of all accounts that were potentially not genuine. A similar period last year saw 100 accounts created 36 of whom posted genuine Serif related questions and only 13 of whom were banned for spam.

As a consequence we have closed these forums to new registrations while the situation is resolved. I hope that this in itself will resolve the performance problem, but it may not so bear with us.

If you have come to the Serif forums for the first time and want to post here then I am sorry, but it is not currently possible to create an account. If you already have a forum account you can log in and use the forums as normal. You may wish to ask your question on https://community.serif.com instead, which is a new service described here. Alternatively please come back to these foruma in a short while and press the register button and see if we have re-opened these forums to new sign-ups.

Thank you again

Last edited by Patrick Connor; 28th May 2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 31st May 2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Limited

Patrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Connor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sustained attack on these forums

Thank you for your patience in respect of the forums being closed to new sign ups. We are keen to re-open registration, but I think it would be foolish to do this on a Friday, in case the moderators have another miserable weekend of new signups. I am requesting that the sign up questions are changed and that the signups reopen on Monday or Tuesday. I hope that this is understood and acceptable. If the signup spammer return and slows the forums to the grind we saw last weekend we will need to close them again and reconsider our signup process.

We have also completed the purge of the 3500+ suspicious accounts created since 20th May, and so the only "first post spam" that can happen right now is from users who created accounts created before that date. There are 20,000 accounts that have been created, but who have never posted to the forums!! I expect that some of these are users who mistakenly thought they needed to register to read these forums, but a fair number will be spam-bots that have made holding accounts. Hopefully they have forgotten about them, but as over 5000 have been "active" in the 12 months we may still need our wonderful moderators to step in occasionally.
Closed Thread