Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 27th January 2014, 01:54 AM   #81
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyr View Post
1. Can we get a Cross quickshape? That'd be nice for designing Church/Religious media/sites, etc.
We already have a Quick Cross (although you can't move the horizontal part up or down without converting it to curves first).

Quote:
2. Also, selective line viewing for Quickshapes? For example, drawing a quickshape square, then having the option to choose one line/side to be transparent, or Red, or whatever. If that's possible. It would be quicker than drawing individual lines for each shape.
Again, you can do that after converting to curves.

Quote:
3. Finally (for now) - it would be nice to be able to rotate the design of a paint brush. For example, the Bamboo sticks I can paint; if I could make them lay sideways rather than upright.
You can adjust the rotation dynamics of a spray brush via the Spray Brush Edit dialog.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 27th January 2014, 06:37 PM   #82
anthonyr

anthonyr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
We already have a Quick Cross (although you can't move the horizontal part up or down without converting it to curves first).(
I see; a few extra steps, but doable. I was hoping there'd be a node tool 'axis' movement. Selecting multiple nodes at once and moving together helps as well.

Quote:
Again, you can do that after converting to curves.
After converting to curves, I had to break all cruves before I could separately color/edit each side of the quick square. Essentially, it would have been just the same to just draw four individual lines.

Is there a way to select the object and break all curves at once, rather than manually selecting them?

Quote:
You can adjust the rotation dynamics of a spray brush via the Spray Brush Edit dialog.
Alfred
Awesome!!!
Old 28th January 2014, 02:42 PM   #83
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Is there a way to select the object and break all curves at once, rather than manually selecting them?
Not as far as I can see: the 'Break Curve' button is greyed out when multiple nodes are selected. I was going to say 'one for the wishlist', but then I remembered that this is the wishlist!

Alfred
Old 31st January 2014, 01:13 PM   #84
SpillTheBeans

SpillTheBeans is on a distinguished road

To be honest I'd rather Serif didn't add any new features but instead fixed every single bug! DrawPlus is fantastically easy to use and fantastically powerful, but it is sooo let down by it's bugs...

I've just started using WebPlus and find the same frustration with that...

Please, oh please, fix the bugs guys (and gals)...

I still get a black Workspace Window on pasting, frequent crashes when working with complex drawings, snapping is inconsistent and the dimension tool is often hard to place and sometimes gives the wrong measurements!!

I would so love to write a glowing review for Amazon for DrawPlus (and all the other Serif software) as it really is brilliant (beats Adobe and Corel hands down) but I just can't recommend it while all these bugs remain.
Old 31st January 2014, 01:24 PM   #85
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

I have never used DrawPlus intensively enough to encounter any bugs, but in PagePlus I have found plenty. Nevertheless, I can always find workarounds for bugs far more easily than for missing features.

So, guys and gals, keep adding the requested features, and patch the most serious bugs. A powerful program without bugs is an unattainable dream at any price, and we all want prices to remain reasonable, i.e. < £100, don't we?
Old 17th February 2014, 02:37 PM   #86
ealdwood

ealdwood is on a distinguished road

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but the ability to measure the area of a polygon (together with hatch fills as mentioned in other posts) would take the program from a broadly 'art' based one to something capable of producing technical drawings.

On a separate note, when is DPX7? Are we writing a wish list that might actually be used or is it all way off?
Old 11th April 2014, 01:00 AM   #87
kenfhill84083

kenfhill84083 is on a distinguished road

I'd like to be able to create a shape and let DrawPlus fill it with a word cloud (see http://www.zazzle.com/united_states_...67330848027224 for an example).

I'd like to be able to point to a spreadsheet that had columns for words, size, color, font -- and Let DrawPlus fill the shape.

Alternatively, if DP could just generate artistic text frames from the list of words in the right fonts, sizes, and colors -- that would give me a head start to dragging them around, placing them as best I could.

I made this suggestion in the PagePlus wishlist but got thinking maybe it would be better here.
Old 11th April 2014, 01:16 AM   #88
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfhill84083 View Post
I made this suggestion in the PagePlus wishlist but got thinking maybe it would be better here.
As per my reply to your PagePlus wishlist post, wouldn't it be simpler to let the Tagxedo Creator (Silverlight app) do the work for you?

Alfred
Old 27th April 2014, 11:32 PM   #89
Kuttyjoe

Kuttyjoe is on a distinguished road

The very best part of DrawPlus for me is the drawing tools. Yet, I've never drawn anything that didn't end in a crash. Every, single, drawing session causes a crash. I know exactly what causes it, it's perfectly reproducible within a minute, but it's difficult to avoid when drawing. I really, really want this to be fixed.

Because other than the supreme drawing tools and the way the brushes work, DrawPlus doesn't really go above and beyond tools like Illustrator or CorelDraw.

The layers are exceedingly buggy. Seems like I've been reporting this bug forever but the bugs never get fixed. It's crazy. You can literally, lock a layer then continue drawing on it...without realizing it. The layer can be both locked and hidden and you can still draw on it. These bugs have been confirmed a year and a half ago yet after a few updates, there's no change in the behavior.

Another problem with layers is that if you click the eye on a layer to turn it off, you've just selected that layer as the active layer. So now you start drawing without realizing that you're drawing on a hidden layer! Maybe hidden, and locked and you're still drawing on it. After a little while, you try to select a stroke and find that you can't select it. That's because the layer is locked but you've been drawing on it as if it weren't locked.

Vector brushes have simply never worked properly. I always use image based brushes which are brilliantly implemented in DrawPlus but not without trouble.

If you zoom out and draw slowly, it creates a disastrous amount of nodes on the path. No matter what smoothness setting, you still get a lot of nodes on the path. It shouldn't have anything to do with zoom level.

For X7, will Serif address any of these extreme quality problems?
Old 29th April 2014, 04:23 AM   #90
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuttyjoe View Post
Another problem with layers is that if you click the eye on a layer to turn it off, you've just selected that layer as the active layer. So now you start drawing without realizing that you're drawing on a hidden layer!
I have DPX6 installed on Win 8.1.1 and I can't reproduce this. If I turn a layer off, I can not draw on it.
Old 29th April 2014, 05:41 AM   #91
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrussell View Post
I have DPX6 installed on Win 8.1.1 and I can't reproduce this. If I turn a layer off, I can not draw on it.
Me neither. All I get if I try is the attached.

Geoff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	locked.gif
Views:	82
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	47247  
Old 30th April 2014, 07:24 PM   #92
Kuttyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrussell View Post
That's interesting. It's been documented and it's been going on since X5. I can easily do it on all of my workstations. I can draw on a layer which is both locked and hidden, or either/or. If I draw on a hidden layer, it suddenly reappears as soon as I make a stroke with the brush. If the layer is locked, I can just keep right on drawing. I may not notice until I decide I need to select an object and find that I can't select it. I've been drawing on it for 30 seconds, but suddenly I can't select the strokes I've been drawing. That's when I realize that the layer is locked.

The situation that always leads to this is that I create a "template" layer with some image or drawing on it. Then I create a trace a layer above, then I click the lock (or the eye) on the trace layer to lock it. That's the first problem. When you click the lock, you've just unexpectedly made that layer the active layer, then I start drawing without realizing that I'm not actually on my new layer, I'm on the template layer. Maybe if you follow those steps it will happen.
Old 2nd May 2014, 01:49 PM   #93
Kuttyjoe

Quote:
That's interesting. It's been documented and it's been going on since X5. I can easily do it on all of my workstations. I can draw on a layer which is both locked and hidden, or either/or. If I draw on a hidden layer, it suddenly reappears as soon as I make a stroke with the brush. If the layer is locked, I can just keep right on drawing. I may not notice until I decide I need to select an object and find that I can't select it. I've been drawing on it for 30 seconds, but suddenly I can't select the strokes I've been drawing. That's when I realize that the layer is locked.

The situation that always leads to this is that I create a "template" layer with some image or drawing on it. Then I create a trace a layer above, then I click the lock (or the eye) on the trace layer to lock it. That's the first problem. When you click the lock, you've just unexpectedly made that layer the active layer, then I start drawing without realizing that I'm not actually on my new layer, I'm on the template layer. Maybe if you follow those steps it will happen.
Edit. I've now confirmed that the problem is what I suspected. The brush tool is capable of continuing to work on a locked layer while something like the tool that creates shapes can not. I opened a new document, created a layer with an image on it, then created a new layer above it. Then I locked the lower layer, then started drawing with the brush tool. It draws on that locked layer with no problem. Then I selected the shape tool for making squares, circles, etc. It does not draw on the locked layer. Then back to the brush tool and sure enough, it can draw on that locked layer. But once you make a stroke, you can't select it unless you unlock the layer.
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:57 PM   #94
AlfredP
Guru

Quote:
Edit. I've now confirmed that the problem is what I suspected. The brush tool is capable of continuing to work on a locked layer while something like the tool that creates shapes can not. I opened a new document, created a layer with an image on it, then created a new layer above it. Then I locked the lower layer, then started drawing with the brush tool. It draws on that locked layer with no problem. Then I selected the shape tool for making squares, circles, etc. It does not draw on the locked layer. Then back to the brush tool and sure enough, it can draw on that locked layer. But once you make a stroke, you can't select it unless you unlock the layer.
I cannot reproduce this on my copy of DPX6. If I click either the 'Visible' icon 'Locked' icon for Layer 1 on the Layers tab, that layer becomes selected (which it should not do) but I get the expected alert when I try to draw with the Brush Tool.

Alfred
Old 3rd May 2014, 04:15 PM   #95
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I opened a new document, created a layer with an image on it, then created a new layer above it. Then I locked the lower layer, then started drawing with the brush tool. It draws on that locked layer with no problem.
Still can't reproduce this. Launch DPX6 while holding the Control key down and reset the defaults. Then try again.
Quote:
It's been documented and it's been going on since X5.
Documented where and by whom? This has always worked correctly on my machine with WIn7, Win8 and 8.1.1
Old 3rd May 2014, 04:26 PM   #96
Ken Cope
Expert

Ken Cope is just really niceKen Cope is just really nice

Confirmed - it happens here on Win XP SP3 so perhaps KuttyJoe is also using XP?

Windows 10 64bit ¤ AMD A10-6700 APU ¤ AMD Radeon HD8670D + R7 240 2GB Dual Graphics ¤ 16GB DDR3 Ram
Old 3rd May 2014, 04:28 PM   #97
Ken Cope
Expert

Ken Cope is just really niceKen Cope is just really nice

The only way to avoid it is to select layer 2 after locking layer 1. Not a difficult thing to do - it's what I would do as a matter of course, seeing that layer 1 is selected when locking the layer.

Windows 10 64bit ¤ AMD A10-6700 APU ¤ AMD Radeon HD8670D + R7 240 2GB Dual Graphics ¤ 16GB DDR3 Ram
Old 19th May 2014, 08:07 PM   #98
oliverh72

oliverh72 is on a distinguished road

I have 3 feature requests.

1. Please offer web template options on startup. I would like standard resolution sizes, including for mobile. I'd love to see NO margins, but instead a typical bootstrap/foundation style column grid preset. In other words, 12 columns with a standard 960 grid. This would save me so much time.
2. Please make it so that I can assign a hotkey to the zoom tool. I know of all the other keyboard shortcuts, but to just quickly jump to it with Z is still more flexible and straight up faster that CTRL-1 etc etc. This would be a huge feature for me.
3. Please display the selected color's hex code in the properties panel and the swatches panel. I use the hex code a lot doing web designs and this would make it so much simpler to copy and paste the code in this way.

Thanks!
Old 19th May 2014, 08:49 PM   #99
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverh72 View Post
I have 3 feature requests.
  1. You can already save your own templates

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 19th May 2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 20th May 2014, 04:59 PM   #100
oliverh72

oliverh72 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
  1. You can already save your own templates
Thanks - I didn't know that.

I'd also love to see a fullscreen option.