Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > Product Suggestions

Notices

Product Suggestions Post feature requests for specific products in the appropriate wish-list thread, and other suggestions in new threads.

Old 6th April 2013, 10:00 PM   #21
sleekdigital

sleekdigital is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: DrawPlus X7 Wishlist

I think independent corner adjustment would be a useful feature and probably not too difficult to implement.
Old 6th April 2013, 11:10 PM   #22
sleekdigital

Another feature from Corel Draw ( I have a really old version) that I miss is node operations... stretch and scale nodes, rotate and skew nodes, and align nodes. Align nodes can be especially useful.
Old 8th April 2013, 01:05 AM   #23
Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix is on a distinguished road

Here is what I'm wishing for
  1. A flood fill tool
  2. The ability to Import numbered images to a animation or multipage document
  3. The ability to export animations as a PNG sequence
  4. and styles that once applied to an object can be altered and all the objects with that style will be updated accordingly
Old 12th April 2013, 07:06 PM   #24
matrix29bear

matrix29bear is on a distinguished road

Well, if we're going to have any vector pattern fills, then we need a tiled grid template (preferably creatable by the user too).

Let's say we go with a honeycomb template.

Then we place our vector objects on the inside of the honeycomb walls while mirrored clone tiles appear outside of the walls. Now the logical problem is with programmatic tilings like the Penrose tile template. I don't think we could add that in for now.

However a simple brick tiling would require the user to make the tile vector object, then move (and or rotate with both functions have numeric input boxes as well) the clone copy of the template shape to make (object-relative-to-object tiles) a relative location computational function. Then the user places their tiled vector guide objects onto the vector guide shapes and off we go.

Otherwise the easiest way to go is to use Default Template Tiles, then toss your vector objects to be tiled on top of that default tiling template.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiling_by_regular_polygons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_uniform_tilings
Old 17th April 2013, 01:43 AM   #25
Peejay

Peejay has a spectacular aura about

An option to round all corners of a shape/path by a specified number of pixels. Manually rounding corners on complex shapes, is enough to drive me mental

The ability to round a quick rectangle by pixels rather than percentage in the context menu. I know you can do this with the slider on the quick shape, but it's not very precise.

Trim, merge and divide functions like in illustrator would be very handy also. Yet again, I know there is the knife tool to divide using straight lines etc, but the ability to divide shapes using either a bezier curve or another shape would be really advantageous.

**edit**
Oh and a smart fill tool! lol

If any of these features exist, please feel free to point them out to me, all help greatly appreciated

Peejay
Old 17th April 2013, 03:09 AM   #26
matrix29bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peejay View Post
An option to round all corners of a shape/path by a specified number of pixels. Manually rounding corners on complex shapes, is enough to drive me mental

The ability to round a quick rectangle by pixels rather than percentage in the context menu. I know you can do this with the slider on the quick shape, but it's not very precise.

Trim, merge and divide functions like in illustrator would be very handy also. Yet again, I know there is the knife tool to divide using straight lines etc, but the ability to divide shapes using either a bezier curve or another shape would be really advantageous.

**edit**
Oh and a smart fill tool! lol

If any of these features exist, please feel free to point them out to me, all help greatly appreciated

Peejay
Amen. You're preaching to the choir here. Many days I wish I had MODULAR INTERCHANGABLE GRAPHICS PROGRAMS.

Back in the Amiga days I was hoping the Amiga AREXX concept would take the world by storm and I could mix & match the best functions of a variety of computer programs all together as I desired.

What frustrates me the most is that DrawPlus X5 has gotten so many things correctly done, but failed at so many obvious issues and failed to patch many easily fixable bugs for nearly a year. It really has made me very reluctant to move to DrawPlus X6 and I am now eying MANGASTUDIO 5 with much more enthusiasm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARexx
ARexx is a programming language that can communicate with other applications. Using ARexx, for example, one could request data from a database application and send it to a spreadsheet application. To support this facility, an application must be "ARexx compatible" by being able to receive commands from ARexx and execute them. A database program might have commands to search for, retrieve, and save data — the MicroFiche Filer database has an extensive ARexx command set. A text editor might have ARexx commands corresponding to its editing command set — the Textra editor supplied with JForth can be used to provide an integrated programming environment. The AmigaVision multimedia presentation program also has ARexx port built in and can control other programs using ARexx.

ARexx can increase the power of a computer by combining the capabilities of various programs. Because of the popularity of a stand-alone ARexx package, Commodore included it with Release 2 of AmigaDOS.

For the moment, your best bet is to download INKSCAPE and install it.
http://inkscape.org/download/

You can COPY & PASTE some objects directly into both programs by way of the Clipboard. Otherwise, I'd recommend setting up both your documents at the same measurement formats (Pixels, Inches, Millimeters, etc) and that will make your interchange options better.

My next reply will detail how to quickly round corners in INKSCAPE.
Old 17th April 2013, 04:34 AM   #27
matrix29bear

Rounding corners the quick way in INKSCAPE.
This, of course, works best with straight line sharp corners. The trick will work not so well with curved line corners, but if you have selected in the INKSCAPE Preferences window the option "DELETING NODES PRESERVES SHAPE" then you should have less surprises.

This option is found under the:
MENU > TOOLS > NODE > (Checkbox) "DELETING NODES PRESERVES SHAPE"
To turn the option on in INKSCAPE.
Sometimes just selecting "Make Selected Nodes Smooth" in the NODE edit bar is a preferable outcome. Otherwise you can turn the line between the 2 nodes into a straight line by clicking the straight line icon and then click dragging that line (converts the line into a smoothed curve) with the node edit pointer.

If anything weird happens to nearby lines, they may be set to a different line type which produces surprising results on click-dragging the line itself.

Hit CTRL-Z to undo the weirdness. Then select the nodes which are connected to the nearby lines going weird, click the curvy "V" icon in the node edit bar which activates "MAKE SELECTED NODES CORNER". This should stop the weirdness with the nearby lines when click-dragging your target line.

It is rather distressing that a freebee program like INKSCAPE exceeds the node editing power of XARA 2013 & Serif's DRAWPLUS X5 + DRAWPLUS X6.

Granted both of these other programs have their perks, but DRAWPLUS is bogged down by weak error checking on the coding part and an utterly inane lack of changing lines into proper Shape Objects. With XARA I can do my job at work doing adhesive vinyl cutting much better as well as quickie business cards. With Serif's DRAWPLUS X5, it is all promises & kisses with nothing to show for itself besides fail & crashing.

Oh wait, I did do a pattern ring on a plate of food with DRAWPLUS X5. but could only export the image at 200 DPI because DRAWPLUS X5 crashes like a tard if you try to export an image that has anything bigger than 244 DPI. It's got the power to do astonishing things, but is crippled by lack of seriousness in making certain everything works like the customers need as well as want.

Old 17th April 2013, 04:35 AM   #28
sleekdigital

Quote:

Trim, merge and divide functions like in illustrator would be very handy also.
DP has these ... Arrange >Join > Add/Subtract/Intersect
Or you can use the shape builder tool
Old 17th April 2013, 04:36 PM   #29
matrix29bear

Quote:

Peejay
CORNER ROUNDING THE GEOGEBRA WAY

I'll post how to do this with curvy line intersects later.
Have to head off to work to cut more adhesive vinyl.
Something that DRAWPLUS X5 has failed to assist in designing usable vector objects with ENTIRELY.

I've been pondering getting CRAFT ARTIST 2, but since the "Top of the Line" SERIF vectoring program cannot do the most basic of vectoring tasks correctly, I've figured, "Why bother?"

Geometry & Trigonometry is your friend even though it is underused these days (especially by computer programmers, sigh).
Old 17th April 2013, 10:08 PM   #30
Peejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekdigital View Post
DP has these ... Arrange >Join > Add/Subtract/Intersect
Or you can use the shape builder tool
Always forget about the shape builder tool

Going to have a little play around with it now and see if I can get it to do what I want. Thanks for pointing it out to me
Old 17th April 2013, 10:10 PM   #31
Peejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix29bear View Post
Rounding corners the quick way in INKSCAPE.
This, of course, works best with straight line sharp corners. The trick will work not so well with curved line corners, but if you have selected in the INKSCAPE Preferences window the option "DELETING NODES PRESERVES SHAPE" then you should have less surprises.
That's a great run through, thanks for that. As you said, copy and pasting from Inkscape to Drawplus is always an option if I really struggle to get the results that I want. It is a shame that it would have to be done that way, but who knows, something may be sorted out next time... but until then, your walkthrough above it a great help
Old 17th April 2013, 10:22 PM   #32
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Always forget about the shape builder tool

Going to have a little play around with it now and see if I can get it to do what I want. Thanks for pointing it out to me
I usually find that the ShapeBuilder Tool creates too many nodes. Although slightly more cumbersome, 'Arrange > Join > Add/Subtract/Intersect' works pretty well.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 18th April 2013, 12:32 AM   #33
Peejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
I usually find that the ShapeBuilder Tool creates too many nodes. Although slightly more cumbersome, 'Arrange > Join > Add/Subtract/Intersect' works pretty well.

Alfred
Just done a few tests and you're right, the nodes it leaves behind is shocking .

Clean curves helps a little bit, but sometimes deforms the shape, so no better off. As I said above as a suggestion, there really isn't the flexibility that the path tools have in Illustrator... and although I'm aware of the price difference, it would be nice to see them added next time
Old 4th May 2013, 09:34 PM   #34
ravells

ravells is on a distinguished road

Rescale Images from Gallery

Could we have a auto scale adjustment for the gallery please so that I only have rescale an image I have dragged from the gallery into the drawing once and the gallery will remember to rescale further images I drag in from the gallery by the same ratio.
Old 5th May 2013, 05:04 PM   #35
Will from America

Will from America is on a distinguished road

I've already posted in the Drawplus form about dimensioning in the faux 3D grid. One person made the comment that I should post in the product suggestions.

The dimensioning lines don't line up with the grid lines. I'm sure the dimensions are accurate but they don't look the way dimensions should look in an isometric drawing. The curious thing is that when an object, such as a square is created in a grid "face", the active dimensions displayed during object creation shows the dimensions correctly. It is the dimensioning tool itself which does not display correctly.

There are several way that the dimension numbers themselves can be displayed (assuming that the leader lines and arrows are oriented correctly with the grids).

1) Align them with the grid face.

2) Always orient the dimension numbers vertically so that they can be read without turning the drawing sideways.

3) A third option is often used on exploded drawings. Text or numbers are displayed in circles and text boxes. Leader arrows point to the parts of the drawing to which they refer.

All three methods of notes and dimensional display should be available to the technical artist.

Since drawplus is not a 3D creation program, but rather a 2D program which is creating the illusion of 3D, these suggestions would give a more traditional look to "faux" 3D drawings and give the illusion that they were created in an expensive technical drawing program. Since DrawPlus allow adjustment to the angles the grids display at, the dimensions and dimension lines should also adjust themselves accordingly.

As a graphic artist I would value these changes.

Best Regard,
Will from America
Old 8th May 2013, 02:59 PM   #36
Peejay

Knife cutting along paths would be handy

Greater zooming in levels.

Last edited by Peejay; 23rd May 2013 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Added another suggestion :)
Old 26th May 2013, 04:29 PM   #37
AML

AML is on a distinguished road

HTML5 export for animations
Old 1st June 2013, 05:51 PM   #38
mandrac

mandrac is on a distinguished road

My number one wish for an updated drawplus
is that serif incorporat
HTML5 animation export (and import)in Drawplus too.

marc
Old 6th June 2013, 04:25 PM   #39
DrawPlusAppMan

DrawPlusAppMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Sarkar View Post
A) CMYK EPS Export with TIFF preview
B) CDR Import like uniconverter
C) AI & CMX Export
D) Contour tool update
Ditto!
Old 6th June 2013, 04:28 PM   #40
DrawPlusAppMan

DrawPlusAppMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekdigital View Post
Mostly carry overs from my X6 wishlist

- A proper Mesh Fill tool that conforms to the shape it is applied to like most other implementations.

- Improved support for vector brushes. Allow the same options that are allowed for bitmap based brushes and fix rendering issues.

- Improved contour tool.

- The Roughen Tool, really needs some options. Anything in the direction of Corel Draw's distortion tool would be great.

- It would be great to have an option such that when you delete a node, DP would try its best to preserve the shape of the object. Illustrator has this option and I believe Inkscape does this by default.

- Triangle, Arc, and Spiral should be quick shapes instead of line tools.
Yes, Yes, Yes!