Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > DrawPlus

Notices

DrawPlus Questions about using DrawPlus for vector graphics design

Old 5th March 2013, 11:14 PM   #21
ravells

ravells is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Serif Launches DrawPlus X6

Absolutely brilliant, thanks Ken! I did mean the layers tab, and I'm so glad it's back! Thank you Serif.
Old 6th March 2013, 03:51 AM   #22
longtimer

longtimer is on a distinguished road

Crickey! I only got the email a few hours ago, downloaded straight away and expected to be the first with a comment. Must be because I'm in OZ.
Looks great at first viewing just one quibble. All my own creations for the 'Gallery' are missing and I will have to copy each again. Would it not be possible to make this automatic when DP is installed? I do have a large number of items in 'My Designs' and the problem arises each time a new version is installed.
Personally I am not happy with the pdf version of the handbook. Serif might have saved paper but I will still have to use paper to print it out. I might be old fashioned but I like to take a copy to bed with me. Especially when I want to catch up with all the new potential.
Old 6th March 2013, 08:59 AM   #23
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimer View Post
All my own creations for the 'Gallery' are missing and I will have to copy each again.
Just copy "My Designs.dpp" from:

%AppData%\Serif\DrawPlus\12.0\Gallery\
to
%AppData%\Serif\DrawPlus\13.0\Gallery\
Old 6th March 2013, 11:19 AM   #24
longtimer

Thanks Bikkhu.
I had to do the same when I updated from X4 to X5. However could you please explain the steps in a little more detail.
Old 7th March 2013, 02:46 AM   #25
longtimer

I now find another problem.
I have tried to insert from my scanner - using Twain - DP X6 informs that there is no Twain on my computer but PagePlus X6, PhotoPlus X4, ACDSee15 and WORD all find it without problem and I used to scan into DP X documents/graphics into DP X4 and X5 without problem.
Is there a simple answer?
Old 7th March 2013, 04:44 AM   #26
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
I now find another problem.
I have tried to insert from my scanner - using Twain - DP X6 informs that there is no Twain on my computer but PagePlus X6, PhotoPlus X4, ACDSee15 and WORD all find it without problem and I used to scan into DP X documents/graphics into DP X4 and X5 without problem.
Is there a simple answer?
Hi

Are you using 64 bit? If so, it is my understanding that those scanner drivers are not supported for 64 bit. This is not a Serif problem.
Old 7th March 2013, 07:01 AM   #27
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Bhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to beholdBhikkhu Pesala is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
However could you please explain the steps in a little more detail.
  1. Hold down the Windows Key + R to open the Run dialogue
  2. Type %Appdata% in the run dialogue and press enter. That will open Windows Explorer at the Application Data folder. Or just browse to the folder from C:\Document and Settings\Username\Application Data\
  3. Show the folders in Windows Explorer
  4. Scroll down to Serif and open the tree
  5. Scroll down to DrawPlus and open the tree
  6. Scroll down to 12.0 and open the tree to find the Gallery folder
  7. Copy "My Designs.dpp"
  8. Scroll down to 13.0 and open the tree to find the Gallery folder
  9. Paste "My Designs.dpp"
  10. Restart DrawPlus X6.
Old 10th March 2013, 01:54 AM   #28
Tom-B

Tom-B is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DrawPlus X6 Brushes

I have installed DP6 and the Designer Brushes pack, but I can't see any way of choosing one of the brushes.

I can see the list of them on the right hand side but clicking in one doesn't select it.

How do you select them?

Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, Memory 16,361 Mb, Direct X 9.0, Intel Pentium III Xeon,
AMD Radeon HD 6900 series, Internet Explorer 9
Old 11th March 2013, 03:05 PM   #29
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: DrawPlus X6 Brushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-B View Post
I can see the list of them on the right hand side but clicking in one doesn't select it.

How do you select them?
Have you also selected the Brush tool from the toolbar?
Old 13th March 2013, 08:59 PM   #30
SaphyConcept

SaphyConcept is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Serif Launches DrawPlus X6

Quote:
For making the things simple: Entire Thread moved here (for clarity) as adviced by members:
http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?p=924754
Thanks to Drawplus team for making a great software for create vectors files, but read the moved post, it is related to most of firsts impressions into Drawplus X6!

Last edited by SaphyConcept; 13th March 2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Moved!
Old 13th March 2013, 09:11 PM   #31
Bhikkhu Pesala
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphyConcept View Post
Hey it's me, SaphyConcept ! And I'm back !
That is far too many questions for one post, and it is in the wrong thread.

Please copy/paste each question to its own thread in the support forum. Copy, paste into Notepad, and edit each thread as you create it, will be the easiest method.

Then delete your post, otherwise, this topic will soon become cluttered with dozens of off-topic posts and it will be very hard to follow.

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 13th March 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 13th March 2013, 09:24 PM   #32
SaphyConcept

Thanks for advice Bhikkhu Pesala, I moved my post in a new thread here: http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?p=924754
Old 17th March 2013, 07:17 PM   #33
jlittle

jlittle is on a distinguished road
Default DrawPlus X6 Stencils

I just tried out the new stencil feature in DPx6 but what I found was that you can only have ONE (1) stencil on a page at a time and have it work.
Nowhere was it mentioned in the manual, that I saw, that you can/should only place one stencil at a time on your drawing.

I initially lined up three letter stencils in a row, sized them the same, and tried to paint over them but nothing happened. Only after removing all but one stencil would it work.

I would have thought that you could have multiple stencils on a page at a time and just "paint" over the ones you wanted when you wanted like one would do with real stencils. It certainly would make it easier to use them.

How about adding that in the next DPx6 update Serif?
Old 3rd April 2013, 02:56 AM   #34
longtimer

Default Inserting from Scanner

I updated to X6 and the 64 bit version.
I now find that DrawPlus X6 does not recognise TWAIN.

I have had a long discussion with Canon, maker of my printer/scanner, and installed various drivers at their suggestion but as soon as I mentioned Serif DrawPlus X6 they reported that there is a known problem with the 64 bit version which does not recognise TWAIN.

So, is there likely to be a fix very soon or do I have to go back to the 32 bit version?

Thanks.
Old 3rd April 2013, 05:01 AM   #35
gerrycud

gerrycud is a jewel in the roughgerrycud is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Inserting from Scanner

Quote:
I updated to X6 and the 64 bit version.
I now find that DrawPlus X6 does not recognise TWAIN.

I have had a long discussion with Canon, maker of my printer/scanner, and installed various drivers at their suggestion but as soon as I mentioned Serif DrawPlus X6 they reported that there is a known problem with the 64 bit version which does not recognise TWAIN.

So, is there likely to be a fix very soon or do I have to go back to the 32 bit version?

Thanks.
Unfortunately there will be no fix, as this is a 64 bit Windows issue. The nice thing is you can install both 32 and 64 bit versions on your computer. I personally use VueScan to scan things which can then be imported into either version of DrawPlus.
Old 3rd April 2013, 06:55 AM   #36
longtimer

Thanks for that Gerry.
It does seem strange though that Windows has not recognised the problem and done something about it. After all 64 bit machines and software have been about for some time.
Are the software developers and computer designers making Windows aware of the problem and if so are Windows just ignoring it? Is the problem solved with Windows 8? This is not the first problem where the fault was with Windows.
Perhaps customers need a warning from Serif about this before they update to X6.
There are plenty of mentions of the positives and improvements perhaps the limitations should be mentioned as well.
Old 3rd April 2013, 07:25 PM   #37
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks for that Gerry.
It does seem strange though that Windows has not recognised the problem and done something about it. After all 64 bit machines and software have been about for some time.
Are the software developers and computer designers making Windows aware of the problem and if so are Windows just ignoring it? Is the problem solved with Windows 8? This is not the first problem where the fault was with Windows.
Perhaps customers need a warning from Serif about this before they update to X6.
There are plenty of mentions of the positives and improvements perhaps the limitations should be mentioned as well.
The problem is not upgrading to X6 - it works in X6 32bit which you can use. The problem is having upgraded to 64 bit Windows. Win8 does not solve the problem.

Geoff
Old 3rd April 2013, 08:27 PM   #38
SaphyConcept

Geoff Blanthorn,

Just as it, nowadays possessing a 64 bit operating system is a very great choice for use more memory in a most memory consummer softwares (such as: Games or professionnal graphics editors).

It's not the fault of Windows but the conjoint fault (here) of TWAIN drivers which can don't work within DrawPlus X6 -64bit edition- since DrawPlus X6 not handle them correctly as expected.

And for a fix, I'm pretty sure there is one by future but it's not easy at all !

EDIT:
Finally it appear it is only a Microsoft decision to no longer support TWAIN drivers for 64bit OS.. (answer below from Ken Cope)

Last edited by SaphyConcept; 4th April 2013 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Edit my mistake
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:41 PM   #39
Ken Cope
Expert

Ken Cope is just really niceKen Cope is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphyConcept View Post
It's not the fault of Windows but the conjoint fault (here) of TWAIN drivers which can don't work within DrawPlus X6 -64bit edition- since DrawPlus X6 not handle them correctly as expected.
No, it's the fault of Windows for neglecting to support TWAIN drivers in all 64bit OS. Not supporting 64bit means that manufacturers of scanning hardware have no need to support TWAIN in 64bit hence no drivers. ALL 64bit programs - Photoshop, Illustrator, CoralDraw, Xara etc (those that support 64bit versions) will not have access to TWAIN because of Microsoft's decision to stop supporting it. It is not Serif's fault - no 64bit program will have access to TWAIN drivers because they do not exist.

Windows 10 64bit AMD A10-6700 APU AMD Radeon HD8670D + R7 240 2GB Dual Graphics 16GB DDR3 Ram
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:00 PM   #40
longtimer

So, taking it that Ken is correct, this means that anybody with a scanner, especially if they like me use it quite a bit, should not expect to be able to use the scanner within any 64 bit software.
This seems to me that Windows is avoiding its responsibilities to the users of its OS. If 64 bit is the way forward, or an alternative with positive benefits, then Windows should not be penalising its users. But how does one get at Microsoft? Can the software producers and manufacturers of scanners,etc. like Serif and Canon get at Microsft?
Is it rocket science for Microsoft to solve the problem?