Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Design and Publishing > DrawPlus

Notices

DrawPlus Questions about using DrawPlus for vector graphics design

Old 4th March 2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Simon Monahan

Simon Monahan is on a distinguished road
Default Serif Launches DrawPlus X6

Hello everyone!
Serif is delighted to announce the release of DrawPlus X6. Described as ‘Digital Art and Design Made Easy,’ DrawPlus X6 takes your creativity to the next level! Brand new vector drawing tools give you the freedom to create an even greater range of custom lines and shapes, and workflow and productivity enhancements, like an improved Layers Tab and optical stacking, mean you can work smarter and more productively. Underpinning all the improvements is enhanced Accelerated Graphics Technology which now natively supports 64-bit computers for an improved design experience.

Some of the great new features and improvements in DrawPlus X6 include:
  • NEW! Native support for 64-bit computers
    DrawPlus ‘Accelerated Graphics Technology now natively supports 64-bit computers for the fastest and most complete design experience yet. Note: 32-bit still supported.

• NEW! Arc Tool
    Drawing intricate arcs is easy! Simply drag out an arc onto a page and then customise curvature and whether your arc has a border or is inverted.
  • NEW! Spiral Tool
    Creating impressive-looking spirals is quick and easy with this great new tool. Simply drag out a spiral onto a page and customise the number of turns and spacing between line segments. Unlike the Spiral QuickShape, the Spiral Tool creates a spiral that is composed of just one single line as opposed to two lines that are joined together.
  • NEW! Triangle Tool
    A dedicated tool means that it’s quicker than ever to draw triangles. No longer do you have to laboriously select the Polygon QuickShape and adjust its sliders to reduce the number of sides.
  • NEW! Stencils Tab
    The new Stencils Tab offers a wide selection of ready-to-go stencil templates which, when painted or sketched over, can be used to artistically embellish your designs. If you’re feeling adventurous, create your own stencils and save them as templates.
  • NEW! QuickFrame QuickShape
    Draw ornate frames, ideal for making images stand out.
  • NEW! Phenakistiscope QuickShape
    When cut out, spun on a stick and viewed in a mirror, a Phenakistiscope creates the illusion of animation. The Phenakistiscope Quickshape allows you to create a customisable template and populate it with drawings, frame by frame, just like an animation.

• NEW! Optical stacking
    Objects in your designs are now stacked optically which means, when adjusting the z-order of objects, you don’t have to scroll through all objects on the page; a huge time saver when working on large or detailed designs.
  • IMPROVED! Layers Tab
    The Layers Tab in DrawPlus now allows individual objects on a page to be hidden from view, which makes it easier to edit specific elements of a design.
  • NEW Text wrapping
    For the first time in DrawPlus, you can truly integrate text with objects by setting text to flow around objects and customising wrap settings.
  • NEW! Open images in PhotoPlus
    Easily open any selected image in your document in Serif PhotoPlus or any other dedicated image editor of your choice. Once you’ve finished editing, the image updated image is automatically re-imported back into DrawPlus. Note: PhotoPlus or other image editing software required.
  • NEW! Generate palette from an image
    Automatically generate a palette of colours from an image and save to a custom palette.
  • NEW! PANTONE GOE colours
    DrawPlus X6 now supports the PANTONE® GOE™ colour system, providing access to more than 2000 extra colours, and perfect for obtaining colour consistency across all the media you design for.
  • IMPROVED! PDF Export
    For the first time, DrawPlus supports PDF/X-3: a PDF specification increasingly required by professional printers.
Please visit the following pages to learn more about DrawPlus X6 and see a demonstration of some of the new feature in action

DrawPlusPlus Home Page
DrawPlus Overview video

Regards, Simon.
Old 4th March 2013, 03:45 PM   #2
folivio

folivio is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Serif Launches DrawPlus X6

The Color Palette Creator video link is broken.

https://www.serif.com/drawplus/index.aspx?mc=DPX6PLe100
Old 4th March 2013, 04:11 PM   #3
sleekdigital

sleekdigital is well on the road to greatness

I think this "Optical stacking" feature could use a bit more explanation. I'm not seeing anything new in terms of how objects are ordered.
Old 4th March 2013, 04:21 PM   #4
sleekdigital

Never mind, I get it now. Basically, if you use froward or backward, it will do that based on what is actually overlapping instead of just operating on the order in the layers tab.
Old 4th March 2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivio View Post

Thank you, Frank, I'll get this looked into.
Old 4th March 2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Vlad

Vlad is on a distinguished road

A better support for more recent AI files would have been greatly appreciated. I upgraded to X6 today. Looks good, but AI files still open poorly. In some files I try to open, 20 or even more features are not "understood" by DrawPlus X6, which makes open images look really bad.
Old 4th March 2013, 06:09 PM   #7
folivio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
A better support for more recent AI files would have been greatly appreciated. I upgraded to X6 today. Looks good, but AI files still open poorly. In some files I try to open, 20 or even more features are not "understood" by DrawPlus X6, which makes open images look really bad.
Vlad,

Wow, I don't know of any program that can reliably open AI files. I have better luck changing the file extension to PDF. Just be sure you save the AI file with PDF editing enabled.
Old 4th March 2013, 06:11 PM   #8
folivio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
Thank you, Frank, I'll get this looked into.
You are welcome Sarah. I'm really loving all the videos on the new DrawPlus X6 page.
Old 4th March 2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Vlad

Quote:
Vlad,

Wow, I don't know of any program that can reliably open AI files. I have better luck changing the file extension to PDF. Just be sure you save the AI file with PDF editing enabled.
Thanks for the tip, but I already tried that and it didn't help.
Old 4th March 2013, 06:27 PM   #10
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I would be interested in seeing a file out of curiosity.

The attached image is an AICS6 file. Not too complex, but not overly simple either. Effects in AI were built using the appearance panel and survive will when opened in DP.

Take care, Mike

Last edited by MikeW; 22nd May 2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 4th March 2013, 06:39 PM   #11
Vlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
I would be interested in seeing a file out of curiosity.

The attached image is an AICS6 file. Not too complex, but not overly simple either. Effects in AI were built using the appearance panel and survive will when opened in DP.

Take care, Mike
Sure, Mike. There you go:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18531443/piggybank.ai

Thanks!
Old 4th March 2013, 07:35 PM   #12
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future

The piggy bank is due to the gradient clipping masks used. Like the dollar sign gradient that comes in fine, the pink patches that come in white and use the gradient clipping mask should have been made with the gradient tool. I see no good reason for the file to have been constructed the way it is--it takes longer to create and doesn't add anything. It would take about 10 minutes to correct the file (correct in my view anyway).

If you want, I would suggest filing a bug report and attach the pig file. Serif needs examples in order to do the translation, even from such a file.

Take care, Mike
Old 4th March 2013, 07:39 PM   #13
Vlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
The piggy bank is due to the gradient clipping masks used. Like the dollar sign gradient that comes in fine, the pink patches that come in white and use the gradient clipping mask should have been made with the gradient tool. I see no good reason for the file to have been constructed the way it is--it takes longer to create and doesn't add anything. It would take about 10 minutes to correct the file (correct in my view anyway).

If you want, I would suggest filing a bug report and attach the pig file. Serif needs examples in order to do the translation, even from such a file.

Take care, Mike
That's not a bad idea! I'll do that. Thanks!
Old 4th March 2013, 08:01 PM   #14
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:

When I looked at this paragraph on that page, I got a distinct feeling of déjà vu:
Quote:
Build up designs with layers that you can edit individually, apply non-destructible Graphic Styles, that won’t permanently change your original work, and use the special multi-level Solo Mode to isolate and work on specific elements of the same image.
Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 4th March 2013, 08:08 PM   #15
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Monahan View Post
  • NEW! Phenakistiscope QuickShape
    When cut out, spun on a stick and viewed in a mirror, a Phenakistiscope creates the illusion of animation. The Phenakistiscope Quickshape allows you to create a customisable template and populate it with drawings, frame by frame, just like an animation.
Phenakistiscope is usually spelled 'phenakistoscope'.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 4th March 2013, 08:44 PM   #16
alspar

alspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond reputealspar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Phenakistiscope is usually spelled 'phenakistoscope'.

Alfred
Quoting from Wikipedia:

"The phenakistoscope (also spelled phenakistiscope or phenakitiscope) was an early animation device that used the persistence of vision principle to create an illusion of motion."

Here
Old 4th March 2013, 08:51 PM   #17
sleekdigital

I spell it like this ... uselessnewfeaturewithfunnyname

Old 4th March 2013, 10:18 PM   #18
Lon in NWArkansas
Master

Lon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to beholdLon in NWArkansas is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekdigital View Post
I spell it like this ... uselessnewfeaturewithfunnyname

I'm pretty sure it's the same thing my Dr uses in the annual exam!

Lon "this won't hurt a bit" in California
Old 5th March 2013, 10:46 AM   #19
ravells

ravells is on a distinguished road

<Sigh> No bevel / chamfer for nodes on lines, no trapezium quickshape (triangle quickshape looks useful tho'), no shift clicking to select multiple objects in the levels tab....(which was in X4 and inexplicably disappeared in X5). Also no offset path tool (or a contour tool which works properly). I guess the broken frame tool still has not been repaired.

But.... the z stacking reorder is an absolute bonus for me and something I asked for in the way back when, so hurray for that and thank you, Serif! I hope that 64 bit support translates into visible improvements. ::edit:: reading another review it's not a z stacking reorder, which is a shame.

I get the impression that the spiral tool is kind of the same as the spiral quickshape but with a different name...but let's see. The arc tool looks useful but not sure how much quicker it will be than just using the normal node adjust...again, let's see.

I really like the ability to hide individual objects in a layer from view (rather than freezing them). Text wrapping is helpful too. Nothing 'killer' in this version for me, but some nice minor improvements.

Most of all I'd just be delighted if this version is more stable than X5.

Last edited by ravells; 5th March 2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 5th March 2013, 04:18 PM   #20
Ken Cope
Expert

Ken Cope is just really niceKen Cope is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravells View Post
no shift clicking to select multiple objects in the levels tab....(which was in X4 and inexplicably disappeared in X5).
Do you mean shift clicking in the Layers tab? If so it is back with this version.

I'm finding this version to be more like X4 for stability so far. I'm on 32bit XP so can't comment on the 64bit version.

Windows 10 64bit ¤ AMD A10-6700 APU ¤ AMD Radeon HD8670D + R7 240 2GB Dual Graphics ¤ 16GB DDR3 Ram