Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > MoviePlus

Notices

MoviePlus Questions about using MoviePlus for video editing

Old 27th January 2013, 08:52 PM   #1
stocksphoto

stocksphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Creating transparent overlays

I've just uploaded the video on how I create masks. It's my first attempt at online tutorials so bear with me if it's not up to peoples usual standards.

I've used GIMP to create the transparent masks for the tutorial. GIMP is great, it's a free download and really works well.

If you want you can create a mask from scratch and add things like stars but put each item on on a different layer.

Finally I've imported the masks into MoviePlus X6 and created a title for you to see how I do it. All it need is saving as a file to complete it.

The link is at: http://youtu.be/Xjnk7SMyxO0
Old 27th January 2013, 11:58 PM   #2
pioneer

pioneer is well on the road to greatness
Default Re: Creating transparent masks

Thank you very much for the tutorial. I think it is of a great standard for someone like me to follow I have now seen a very good explanation and demonstation of keyframe usage in MP. Will look at downloading Gimp tomorrow
Well Done

http://tolworthandhookrise.org.uk/index.html
Old 28th January 2013, 12:16 AM   #3
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Great stuff. I've 'stuck' this thread to keep it visible.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 28th January 2013, 12:28 AM   #4
ericlnz

ericlnz is just really niceericlnz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer View Post
Thank you very much for the tutorial. I think it is of a great standard for someone like me to follow I have now seen a very good explanation and demonstation of keyframe usage in MP. Will look at downloading Gimp tomorrow
Well Done
I use PhotoPlus and DrawPlus to create my masks and overlays. I've not found GIMP easy to use but it looks as though stockphoto's may be a later version than that which I tried.

Eric
Old 28th January 2013, 12:40 AM   #5
pioneer

pioneer is well on the road to greatness

Eric
Never got the hang of how to create overlays in drawplus and never really found any tutorials that I could follow. Perhaps my advancing years does not help.

http://tolworthandhookrise.org.uk/index.html
Old 28th January 2013, 09:00 AM   #6
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light

As this thread has been made sticky, I wonder whether it should be renamed 'Creating transparent overlays'.

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.

Old 28th January 2013, 10:28 AM   #7
ericlnz

ericlnz is just really niceericlnz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer View Post
Eric
Never got the hang of how to create overlays in drawplus and never really found any tutorials that I could follow. Perhaps my advancing years does not help.
I'm probably older than you!

An overlay is simply:

1 - an image with a transparent background. Usually 32 bit png as jpg does not support transparency - jpg's empty backgrounds usually come out solid white.

2 - a video with a transparent background such as the samples provided with MVP. To my knowledge only mov files support transparency and only with some codecs. MVP can export as transparent mov files but I doubt whether GIMP or any other bitmap image editor can export transparent video files, but I'm always open to correction. However DrawPlus can export animations as animated GIFs which I believe support transparency and also Serif Transparent Videos. There's a recent thread on this in the General Section.

Masks are really overlays consisting of white against a transparent background and appear as such when dragged to MVP's timeline but become Masks when the Tracks Blend Mode is altered to Mask or Unmask. White CG Quickshapes can be used as Masks.

Having discovered masks I use them for a variety of purposes. Recently for example I've created shots from several clips to make shots I didn't have such as in a tunnel, removed defects such as unwanted branches, even background spots on a white background. Masks are easy when your camera and subject are steady but become more complicated with movement as you then need to use keyframes to move them around.

Have fun.

Eric

Last edited by ericlnz; 28th January 2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Clarification and correction
Old 28th January 2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Albert Ross

Albert Ross has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
As this thread has been made sticky, I wonder whether it should be renamed 'Creating transparent overlays'.
I agree Mike. Creating transparent masks, for me at least, is misleading. I was expecting to watch how to create your own, 'quickshapes', although they wouldn't be, 'quick', any more as you would have to create them yourself!

Still an excellent video though - very well done.
Old 28th January 2013, 01:19 PM   #9
stocksphoto

stocksphoto is on a distinguished road

Thanks to you all for the comments on my tutorial. As I'm probably older than all of you, I'm 71 on 31st January, it shows there are still lots to learn and pass on information to others

Here's to all us "Silver Surfers".

Albert, I'll have a think about how to create Quickshapes, I'm sure it's not a Serif secret. Maybe Serif will let us in on the method of creating them?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 28th January 2013, 01:58 PM   #10
MikeR

MikeR is a glorious beacon of lightMikeR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksphoto View Post
Here's to all us "Silver Surfers".
Well, you're 3 years older than me, but I'll drink to that!

Quote:
Albert, I'll have a think about how to create Quickshapes, I'm sure it's not a Serif secret. Maybe Serif will let us in on the method of creating them?
Of course you can create Quickshapes with built-in functions in MvP, DP, PhP and PP.

I think Albert was referring to creating masks outside MvP. Depending on the required complexity, this is not particularly difficult as all you need in a suitably-shaped white object on a transparent background.

Medion MD8833 with Intel Q6600 + 3GB. Win 7 64 Ultimate SP1.

Old 28th January 2013, 06:03 PM   #11
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)
Default Re: Creating transparent overlays

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Done. Thanks for the suggestion, Mike.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:33 PM   #12
dadman

dadman is on a distinguished road

I'm just a young lad in this company, with my 56 years.
Very nice, now I know how to use keyframes, there's a lot of potential with it. I will fire up Drawplus and make me some overlays to have fun with.
Thanks for the video, easy to understand.

DPX6 MPX6 DPX5 MPX5 PPX5 DPX4 WPX4 PPX3
My blogs http://govertz.dk and http://www.rundtomwp.dk
Old 6th October 2013, 03:53 PM   #13
CGJam

CGJam is on a distinguished road

great video, i was expecting an actual mask like you would use in GIMP but you taught me about creating transparent layers instead, which is just as cool Thanks