Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > PhotoPlus

Notices

PhotoPlus Questions about using PhotoPlus for photo editing

Old 30th October 2012, 09:44 PM   #1
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough
Default Printing with Win8

Are there any known issues with PhPX5 and Win8? I just wanted to print a few pics out.
Loaded PhPX5
Went to Print Studio
At bottom, clicked on Add Images
For some reason, I could only add 10.
Selected A4 Saving and chose the 6x4 layout
Tried to drag an image from the bar at the bottom onto the layout
Nothing happened

These are images from my SLTA65V (6000x4000). Am I running into a memory issue?
Old 30th October 2012, 10:31 PM   #2
MikeW

MikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant futureMikeW has a brilliant future
Default Re: Printing with Win8

Hello Gary,

6000 pixels wide, at 300 dpi, is a 20" wide image. If you were to place those images and simply fill a whole A4 landscape page, the effective DPI is about 545 dpi.

Shrank down further to fit your layout, well, I will let you calculate out the effective DPI. It's quite high. While making an image smaller via resizing doesn't change the number of the pixels in the image, all that data is still there i memory and must be processed for display and print. Your printer is going to throw away a whole lot of pixels.

Take care, Mike
Old 30th October 2012, 11:51 PM   #3
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
Shrank down further to fit your layout, well, I will let you calculate out the effective DPI.
What's to calculate, Mike? With a 6" × 4" layout, the effective resolution of a 6000 × 4000 pixel image is going to be (only very roughly, you understand) 1000 DPI.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 31st October 2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Geoff Blanthorn
Expert

Geoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to beholdGeoff Blanthorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
What's to calculate, Mike? With a 6" × 4" layout, the effective resolution of a 6000 × 4000 pixel image is going to be (only very roughly, you understand) 1000 DPI.

Alfred
Or is the 6×4 layout 24 pictures per sheet? That's what I was thinking.

Geoff
Old 31st October 2012, 06:03 AM   #5
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough

A4 glossy photo paper - 3 to a page. The fact is, I can't use Print Studio. I ended up installing an old version of HP Photo Printing. I could bring in 46 images and then drag three to a page for printing on the 6x4 layouts. This program is probably a good ten years old, but still runs on Win8 just fine. Unfortunately, I can't replace it with PhPX5 Print Studio. The best printing app I've ever used. Can do limited adjustments and multiple pages each with different layouts. Have no idea what it does in the background, but I have never been disappointed with the output.

Last edited by ggrussell; 31st October 2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Sarah W
Expert

Sarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to beholdSarah W is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrussell View Post
Am I running into a memory issue?
Yes, it sounds like it. PhotoPlus needs enough free contiguous memory to load images into, if it's stopped loading the images you asked for then it has most likely run out. In that case, it wouldn't be able to load the images into the print layout either.