Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Photos and Movies > CraftArtist

Notices

CraftArtist Questions about using CraftArtist for digital crafting

Old 19th October 2012, 12:11 PM   #1
DG8

DG8 is on a distinguished road
Default Photo to Jigsaw

I would love to turn a photo into a jigsaw and have bought Serif Craft Artist Professional 2 to help me achieve my goal which I received at 2.00 am this morning.I have looked in Youtube hoping there would be a video tutorial to help me but can't find one -can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 19th October 2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Photo to Jigsaw

I haven't done a jigsaw before, but tried it out there now. Hope this works for you:
1. Create new blank project
2. On left hand side menu "add" your desired photograph and drag photo to working area
3 At very top right hand side, click on the "punches" tab and pick "jigsaws" from the drop down menu
4. Click on your chosen jigsaw punch and DRAG it to your working space with the photo.
5. Stretch it to fit over the photo
6. Click on "Punch" at the bottom right of the selected punch outline
7. Delete or move the jigsaw and you will find little marks on the photo showing you where to cut to produce the jigsaw.

Last edited by Meg; 17th April 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 19th October 2012, 02:08 PM   #3
KPLewis

KPLewis is a jewel in the roughKPLewis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG8 View Post
I would love to turn a photo into a jigsaw and have bought Serif Craft Artist Professional 2 to help me achieve my goal which I received at 2.00 am this morning.I have looked in Youtube hoping there would be a video tutorial to help me but can't find one -can someone point me in the right direction?
Hi DG8,

I just posted on your other thread about having a look at DaisyTrail, Serif''s CraftArtist site and forum for all sorts of information.

A quickie tut as there aren't that many CA2 video tutorials at the moment, but that will change over time. This is the way I do it.

Put photo or image on to your page.

Go to the Punch Tab at the top right of your screen.

Select Jigsaws, and then drag the jigsaw of your choice on to your image and re-size accordingly.

When happy, click the Punch button - lower right.

Drag punch away and delete.

Click on your image - it shows as a jigsaw - drag over to one side to leave the punched "waste". Select and delete.

Drag your jigsaw image back on to your workspace.

At this point if you want you can add a bevel and some shadow to make it more realistic.

To break into pieces - with image selected, and possibly zoom in, if your eyes are as bad as mine , go to the Scissors Tool on the top bar and make a tiny cut between two of the pieces. It only needs to be a little snip.

Go back to Select tool. The image now shows up with the word "Group" showing in the bottom right. Click somewhere off the image and then you should be able to move the pieces individually.

Hope that helps. If I find a little spare time, I'll try and make up a little video tutorial if Serif don't beat me to it.

Posting same time as Meg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jigsaw Puzzle.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	559.2 KB
ID:	36531  
Old 19th October 2012, 02:09 PM   #4
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Nice work, Meg and Karen L.

No doubt the OP will get the hang of it quickly with your fine assistance.
Old 19th October 2012, 02:24 PM   #5
DG8

Don't know if I did not explain right or I am picking it up wrong - I would like to make the photo look like a jigsaw with one or two bits either moved or deleated? I managed to get to the stage *attachment* and could not find punch? Thanks for trying to help me everyone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo#1.PNG
Views:	122
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	36533  
Old 19th October 2012, 02:38 PM   #6
KPLewis

Quote:
Don't know if I did not explain right or I am picking it up wrong - I would like to make the photo look like a jigsaw with one or two bits either moved or deleated? I managed to get to the stage *attachment* and could not find punch? Thanks for trying to help me everyone.
Hi again,

Looking at your attachment, it looks as if you are using the jigsaw from the Stencil Tab, not the Punch Tab, which does a slightly different thing.

If you use the Punch Tab - far right, you can follow along the above as far as selecting your image after you have punched it and snipped with the scissors, and then just click on whichever individual piece(s) you want to move, leaving the rest intact as the jigsaw.

You can use any of the jigsaw punches - the process is the same.

Is that the sort of thing you are looking for and does that help?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jigsaw Puzzle2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	36535  

Last edited by KPLewis; 19th October 2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Better image attached
Old 19th October 2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Meg

Meg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPLewis View Post
Hi DG8,

I just posted on your other thread about having a look at DaisyTrail, Serif''s CraftArtist site and forum for all sorts of information.

A quickie tut as there aren't that many CA2 video tutorials at the moment, but that will change over time. This is the way I do it.

Select Jigsaws, and then drag the jigsaw of your choice on to your image and re-size accordingly.

Click on your image - it shows as a jigsaw - drag over to one side to leave the punched "waste". Select and delete.

At this point if you want you can add a bevel and some shadow to make it more realistic.

To break into pieces - with image selected, and possibly zoom in, if your eyes are as bad as mine , go to the Scissors Tool on the top bar and make a tiny cut between two of the pieces. It only needs to be a little snip.

Go back to Select tool. The image now shows up with the word "Group" showing in the bottom right. Click somewhere off the image and then you should be able to move the pieces individually.

Hope that helps. If I find a little spare time, I'll try and make up a little video tutorial if Serif don't beat me to it.

That's BEAUTIFUL. Far more artistic than me. I was just assuming "make a jigsaw you can print and cut out". Have to try your method myself.
Old 19th October 2012, 03:41 PM   #8
KPLewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
That's BEAUTIFUL. Far more artistic than me. I was just assuming "make a jigsaw you can print and cut out". Have to try your method myself.
Hi Meg,

I can't really take the credit. Summersara on DT put up a jigsaw puzzle template with instructions on use on her blog some time ago and it became popular in the forum. This was pre-CA2 so it was the only way to do it at that point.

A similar process works equally well on these new jigsaw punches.

I notice on C&C that Michelle was demoing the jigsaw in a very basic way and I was thinking - you can do it so much more easily. More recently though, it looks as if someone has let her in on it, as the most recent demo I saw her do she was mentioning the cut to the cropped image to split the pieces.
Old 19th October 2012, 04:10 PM   #9
pioneer

pioneer is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Hi DG8,

Hi Karen
Great insight on what to do with CA2, thank you, would this export successfully as a SVG file to use on a cutting machine?

http://tolworthandhookrise.org.uk/index.html
Old 19th October 2012, 04:14 PM   #10
AlfredP
Guru

AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)AlfredP has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
A quickie tut as there aren't that many CA2 video tutorials at the moment
Very true, Karen, but there actually is one (also a "quickie") for jigsaws, here.

Alfred
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)
Old 19th October 2012, 04:16 PM   #11
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredP View Post
Very true, Karen, but there actually is one (also a "quickie") for jigsaws, here.

Alfred
Old 19th October 2012, 04:18 PM   #12
KPLewis

Quote:

Alfred
Oooh, I missed that one, Alfred.
Old 19th October 2012, 04:42 PM   #13
KPLewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer View Post
Hi Karen
Great insight on what to do with CA2, thank you, would this export successfully as a SVG file to use on a cutting machine?
Hi Vicki,

I'm afraid I have no idea if it would export as a SVG file - I don't have a cutting machine so haven't really taken much notice of that side of things. Hopefully someone else might know a little more and be able to answer this for you.
Old 19th October 2012, 04:43 PM   #14
KPLewis

Quote:

Alfred
Just had a quick look and that's another, different way of doing things. So versatile, this software.
Old 19th October 2012, 04:59 PM   #15
pioneer

pioneer is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Hi Vicki,

I'm afraid I have no idea if it would export as a SVG file - I don't have a cutting machine so haven't really taken much notice of that side of things. Hopefully someone else might know a little more and be able to answer this for you.
Thank You Karen, hopefully somebody may come back on this.

http://tolworthandhookrise.org.uk/index.html
Old 19th October 2012, 06:12 PM   #16
DG8

That is exactly what I’m hoping to do - thanks very much will attempt to achieve now.
Thanks a ton and blessings to you and yours.
Old 19th October 2012, 06:16 PM   #17
DG8

I will get back to thank you all personally once I go through each individual advice. Meantime thanks to you all.
Old 19th October 2012, 06:59 PM   #18
mjh
The one and only mjh

Quote:
I will get back to thank you all personally once I go through each individual advice. Meantime thanks to you all.

Now, aren't you glad you yielded to temptation last night?
Old 19th October 2012, 08:01 PM   #19
DG8

Absolutely brilliant help and instructions - thanks very much for that - Blessing to one and all - have a smashing weekend.
Old 19th October 2012, 08:08 PM   #20
DG8

Starting to be please with the early morning purchase - Not once have I ever felt "let down" with my cry for help from my fellow "Serifers" Thanks from my heart to you all.