Go Back   Serif Software Forums > Community > General

Notices

General Discussions that don't relate to a specific Serif product

Old 16th October 2012, 03:06 PM   #1
ggrussell
Expert

ggrussell is a jewel in the roughggrussell is a jewel in the rough
Default New WIn8 products

Saw a commercial last night for the new Microsoft tablet Surface. Very impressive with the snap on/off keyboard. They may have a good contender against the iPad hardware wise, but only time will tell if there will any good apps.

Also got an email from ASUS who has released a 'laptop' with TWO displays with mutli-touch on the screen. Open it up like a regular laptop or close the lid and there is a second LCD to use like a tablet.

So will Serif jump on this band wagon? Metro UI apps for the tablets or how about mutli-touch aware apps?
Old 16th October 2012, 05:25 PM   #2
grovesie

grovesie has much to be proud ofgrovesie has much to be proud ofgrovesie has much to be proud of
Default Re: New WIn8 products

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrussell View Post
Saw a commercial last night for the new Microsoft tablet Surface. Very impressive with the snap on/off keyboard. They may have a good contender against the iPad hardware wise, but only time will tell if there will any good apps.

Also got an email from ASUS who has released a 'laptop' with TWO displays with mutli-touch on the screen. Open it up like a regular laptop or close the lid and there is a second LCD to use like a tablet.

So will Serif jump on this band wagon? Metro UI apps for the tablets or how about mutli-touch aware apps?
Even better still will be the Surface Pro in about three months. Intel processor and Win 8 - so it should run Serif progrograms out of the box

Steve
Old 16th October 2012, 05:57 PM   #3
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovesie View Post
Even better still will be the Surface Pro in about three months. Intel processor and Win 8 - so it should run Serif progrograms out of the box

Steve
Microsoft is (or was) offering incentives to App developers, as a way of stocking the Windows 8 App store in time for the release of Windows 8.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 20th October 2012, 06:21 PM   #4
knuteicebear

knuteicebear is on a distinguished road

When is the release date for Windows 8?
Old 20th October 2012, 06:30 PM   #5
meanman

meanman is well on the road to greatness

I think in the UK it is due out on the 26 of October.
Old 21st October 2012, 03:05 AM   #6
knuteicebear

No one yet has been able to give me a reason why I should upgrade from win 7-->8.
I have a desktop, not a bloody tablet!
Old 21st October 2012, 09:02 AM   #7
Tom.
Guru

Tom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to beholdTom. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuteicebear View Post
No one yet has been able to give me a reason why I should upgrade from win 7-->8.
I have a desktop, not a bloody tablet!
So complain to Microsoft.

Nobody has given me a reason why I should upgrade from Vista to Win7. Then again, I haven't asked. Perhaps get a copy of the UK magazine Webuser which says 'Why you don't need Win8......make Win7, Vista and XP better instead'.

Happy reading.
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:24 AM   #8
knuteicebear

Good to see the Microsoft Fanboys are still on the job.

Hint: Not everyone agrees with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom. View Post
So complain to Microsoft.

Nobody has given me a reason why I should upgrade from Vista to Win7. Then again, I haven't asked. Perhaps get a copy of the UK magazine Webuser which says 'Why you don't need Win8......make Win7, Vista and XP better instead'.

Happy reading.
Old 22nd October 2012, 04:41 PM   #9
Ali
Guru

Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)Ali has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Good to see the Microsoft Fanboys are still on the job.

Hint: Not everyone agrees with you.

May I ask why you are participating in this thread? If you are not interested in the new Win8, then don't take part in the discussion. Nobody is trying to force anyone to adopt Win8.

Old 22nd October 2012, 05:24 PM   #10
meanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
May I ask why you are participating in this thread? If you are not interested in the new Win8, then don't take part in the discussion. Nobody is trying to force anyone to adopt Win8.
Agreed firstly you show an interest then you slate it, there seems to be no direction or point to your posts
Old 22nd October 2012, 06:22 PM   #11
TAE

TAE is well on the road to greatness

Quote:

That ASUS sounds cool... I think I'm gona check it out on Google
Old 23rd October 2012, 06:52 PM   #12
knuteicebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post

Oh, I forgot Fanbois and Girrllls only

Are only MS cheerleaders allowed to express their opinions.?

Or is that only your narrow minded opinion spoon fed to you by MS marketing. Glad you're a good little consumer!

Carry On Purchasing.

Enjoy my IGNORE List!

Mindless drone!
Old 23rd October 2012, 06:53 PM   #13
mjh
The one and only mjh

mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)mjh has nothing more to prove (nirvana)

Quote:
Oh, I forgot Fanbois and Girrllls only

Are only MS cheerleaders allowed to express their opinions.?

Or is that only your narrow minded opinion spoon fed to you by MS marketing. Glad you're a good little consumer!

Carry On Purchasing.

Enjoy my IGNORE List!

Mindless drone!
Please review the forums rules and respond in the nature and spirit of this forum.
Old 23rd October 2012, 07:33 PM   #14
RichardS
Master

RichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant futureRichardS has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Please review the forums rules and respond in the nature and spirit of this forum.
According to today's email from Microsoft:

- Windows 8 will be released on Friday 26th October

- There's still (just) time to publish a Windows 8 "app" and get it into the MS App Store in time for the launch. Apparently this results in "elite" status for your app.
32-bit Win10 Pro 14946, AMD64 3200+, 2GB RAM, Bodged ATI Video & AC97 Audio drivers.
64-bit (3GB) & 32-bit (2GB) Win10 Pro 16170, on VirtualBox, 2 CPU cores, 128MB video
Old 24th October 2012, 05:13 AM   #15
jtill

jtill is on a distinguished road

Ed Bott at ZDNet has a nice article about the new Surface, good points and not-good also.
http://www.zdnet.com/hands-on-with-m...ot-7000006258/
Old 24th October 2012, 07:12 AM   #16
knuteicebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtill View Post
Ed Bott at ZDNet has a nice article about the new Surface, good points and not-good also.
http://www.zdnet.com/hands-on-with-m...ot-7000006258/
From the article: "It’s more than an iPad, and less than a PC.

The Windows RT-powered Surface will not replace your desktop PC or your full-strength notebook. "

Yup, Win8 sure is the best thing since slice bread. Well worth throwing your money away for!(Not to mention your desktop pc.)

NEXT!!!
Old 24th October 2012, 08:47 AM   #17
siehorst

siehorst is well on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanman View Post
I think in the UK it is due out on the 26 of October.
Good morning,
ALDI germany is offering a notebook at 31. of october with win 8.
I'm not interested in win 8, but I will have no real choice if I have to buy a new laptop one day.
horst
I only have a choice not to buy an iPhone
Old 24th October 2012, 09:00 AM   #18
meanman

I think Windows 8 will be good on tablets and i think tablets will have the full version to which could be very interesting and could give Apple a run for there money, but as a desktop O/S not so good i will be sticking with Win 7.
Old 24th October 2012, 10:15 AM   #19
TAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
According to today's email from Microsoft:

- Windows 8 will be released on Friday 26th October

- There's still (just) time to publish a Windows 8 "app" and get it into the MS App Store in time for the launch. Apparently this results in "elite" status for your app.
Through MSDNAA (Microsoft Development Network Academic Alliance), I have managed to download Windows 8 already (for some reason when I was given access about a week ago, it was already available {for free} )... I just can't decide whether to install it or not!

Maybe I should develop an "elite app"
Old 24th October 2012, 10:17 AM   #20
TAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanman View Post
I think Windows 8 will be good on tablets and i think tablets will have the full version to which could be very interesting and could give Apple a run for there money, but as a desktop O/S not so good i will be sticking with Win 7.
I agree completely which is why I'm hesitant to install the copy I have... I really want it because it's "new", yet I hate it (for desktops/laptops) with a passion from what I've seen...